• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just finished Big Ben. I am of two minds on the set.

First off, it is both larger and smaller than I imagined it being.

Your one sentence here sums up perfectly how I felt about Big Ben when I saw it on display this past weekend. So compact, yet tall, and very detailed. A winner in my book and a definite must buy.

What was the last LEGO direct set to stay at MSRP after going OOP?
Which one went down?

Plenty of sets stay and some even go below MSRP, though i guess those aren't necessarily UCS/D2C ones... why would that make a difference though? Does Lego produce less of those compared to other themed sets or is it simply a matter of popularity?

Plenty of sets stay and some even go below MSRP, though i guess those aren't necessarily UCS/D2C ones... why would that make a difference though? Does Lego produce less of those compared to other themed sets or is it simply a matter of popularity?

I would think they produce less since they are sold in fewer stores than regular sets. The higher price probably also means they sell less in general.

Boogiepop

So quick question, I happened to see minifigure for the four turtles from TMNT at a local shop that sells such things. They were a tad higher than I'd prefer at $10 a pop, so I was wondering, is that a fair price for them? Can I get them for cheaper? I tried checking ebay and it was full of what I'm guessing were bootlegs (packs of 6 for like $4 coming from China and whatnot). And did they produce many other characters, or was it pretty much just the turtles?

Bought my first Buildable in General Grievous and wow he is huge! I knew it was going to be big but really didn't expect this. He's scaled to the other SW Buildables?

Bought my first Buildable in General Grievous and wow he is huge! I knew it was going to be big but really didn't expect this. He's scaled to the other SW Buildables?

Are you talking about 75112? If so, then yes...he's scaled very well to others in the series.

e.g. Capt Phasma is notably taller than a First Order Stormtrooper.

I have most of this series and it's excellent.

That would be amazing, if you don't mind! I'm definitely more of a from-the-instructions kind of guy. :) I have a lot of pink bricks, so I might have to substitute colours... and it may end up selling something considerably colder then pizza ;) Thanks!

http://www.beardednerd.se/Lego_PizzaPlaza.rar

Here you go. It's not complete though, it needs a ton of flowers to be added and stuff on the top floor. Also, some limitations of LDD:

* On the clips in the corner panel, put two of the Spider-Man web handles. You can then place the separate 1x8 plates on the outside.
* The red 1x4 over the door should be a part with printed flowers.
* The 3x6 plates (upside down on the bottom floor) should be 3x6 rounded plates with a 1x2 cutout (new part).
* On the second floor, the top right of the lavender front is missing a few pieces because the hinges wouldn't line up properly in LDD. Some plates and another 1x1 round brick need to be added here.
* Some of the dark tan plates don't actually exist and need to be replaced.
* There should be a string and a nozzle on the reel on the terrace.

Ya, I bought it cuz it was on awd. I think his body works with this style but I don't enjoy building these the way I enjoy System.The one Bionicles figure I had got integrated with System bricks and turned into a walker.

I'm not really sure what I'll do with it. It's too big to leave on my desk but it looks really good so I don't want to just use it for parts.

Ponn

Banned

You could've went for the throat and cut Phon deep by citing that most of the Galaxy Squad sets are selling at MSRP or a little bit less but didn't. Bravo for not going for that low hanging fruit and causing him undue stress and pain :p (luv ya phon don't hurt me)

So quick question, I happened to see minifigure for the four turtles from TMNT at a local shop that sells such things. They were a tad higher than I'd prefer at $10 a pop, so I was wondering, is that a fair price for them? Can I get them for cheaper? I tried checking ebay and it was full of what I'm guessing were bootlegs (packs of 6 for like $4 coming from China and whatnot). And did they produce many other characters, or was it pretty much just the turtles?

The second and final wave of TMNT sets all had special face print that you may not want if you are just looking for regular turtles figs. There were various ways to get a complete set when the first wave was out, I think the route I went with was Mikey's Krang lab set which you can still get kinda cheap on AWD once in awhile and comes with a Krang, the Turtle Lair and the Shredder Bike. All of the sets have pretty much doubled in price now so if you don't care about the actual sets you are probably better off bricklinking the figs. Those shop prices you saw at $10 are actually pretty good if you don't want to do bricklinking. Lego didn't get past the 2nd wave and that was early in the TV series so they didn't really get to alot of the characters unfortunately. The only extra characters was Splinter, Shredder, SpiderBytes, Leatherhead, Dogpound, Fishface, Karai, Human Baxter, Human Bradford, and Aprils'bat-dad (wingnut). And of course foot soldiers and KrangBots. The Lego TMNT will never feel complete so it really depends on how much of a completionist you want to be with after-market prices. I haven't gotten any of the TMNT bootlegs so I can't speak on their quality.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Anyone else order Temple of Airjitzu for the bonus 500 VIP points? I decided to bite on it not because I care about Ninjago, but because the VIP point bonus is awesome and because it LOOKS like it will be a neat set to display. Once those points show up on my account, I'll have somewhere over 2200 VIP points to use. I'll probably blow it on a modular or one of the Simpsons sets.

You could've went for the throat and cut Phon deep by citing that most of the Galaxy Squad sets are selling at MSRP or a little bit less but didn't. Bravo for not going for that low hanging fruit and causing him undue stress and pain :p (luv ya phon don't hurt me)

The second and final wave of TMNT sets all had special face print that you may not want if you are just looking for regular turtles figs. There were various ways to get a complete set when the first wave was out, I think the route I went with was Mikey's Krang lab set which you can still get kinda cheap on AWD once in awhile and comes with a Krang, the Turtle Lair and the Shredder Bike. All of the sets have pretty much doubled in price now so if you don't care about the actual sets you are probably better off bricklinking the figs. Those shop prices you saw at $10 are actually pretty good if you don't want to do bricklinking. Lego didn't get past the 2nd wave and that was early in the TV series so they didn't really get to alot of the characters unfortunately. The only extra characters was Splinter, Shredder, SpiderBytes, Leatherhead, Dogpound, Fishface, Karai, Human Baxter, Human Bradford, and Aprils'bat-dad (wingnut). And of course foot soldiers and KrangBots. The Lego TMNT will never feel complete so it really depends on how much of a completionist you want to be with after-market prices. I haven't gotten any of the TMNT bootlegs so I can't speak on their quality.
Not hurting at all. Just means it is easier for people to be late to the party. And there were no direct sets for that line.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Anyone else order Temple of Airjitzu for the bonus 500 VIP points? I decided to bite on it not because I care about Ninjago, but because the VIP point bonus is awesome and because it LOOKS like it will be a neat set to display. Once those points show up on my account, I'll have somewhere over 2200 VIP points to use. I'll probably blow it on a modular or one of the Simpsons sets.

Temple of Airjitzu is my favorite set of all time. Both to build and on display. The build was the most enjoyable build I've ever done and it's probably my favorite set on display as well. Also, the callback to the original Ninja theme with the glider thing was the cherry on top (that was my favorite theme as a kid).

Awww... the temple is still cheap in the local shop, but I can't justify it when I literally have to tear down sets to make room for it now. And there's still summer stuff I want (the Elves castle, possibly the Spider-Man bridge and some Ninjago things for parts), plus Ecto-1, plus Beetle, plus most likely that damn Disney castle, plus the Death Star if that happens, plus the Yellow Submarine...

Ponn

Banned
Not hurting at all. Just means it is easier for people to be late to the party. And there were no direct sets for that line.

No i'm sorry, That was mean spirited snark. I took a nap and am rereading what i posted this morning. I need to stay off of GAF when i'm feeling shitty.

I agree that D2C sets are different than regular sets as far as after market prices going way up. I think that has two factors, the more limited supply and availability and also the general prices of the sets being at the $100 or more mark. Eventually all sets regardless of D2C or larger themes rise above msrp, some just may take longer for that to happen as the retail channels empty. A lot of people speculated LoTR sets would be great investments but even the tower of Orthanc is doing meh in the after market so far. Monster Fighters sets are doing pretty meh as well except for the Haunted House and that damn very limited Zombie set. Both of which were coincendentally exclusive or D2C sets.

My question for those looking at Lego as an investment now would be if they expecting and planning for changes in the Lego landscape. Back 20 years ago even you could argue Lego wasn't as popular as now. They had less themes going and I would guess less sets being made. Now with more themes and more sets in production are you going to see less overall valuable sets as before? Obviously the correct answer is to just buy everything to be safe.

I thought it was funny and I didn't know GS hadn't gone up in value.

I know Lego will always rise in value because the sets will always have limited runs, but I'm glad the after market prices aren't exploding. As much as the fanbase has grown, there is still a limited number of fans and there are always new sets to buy. Most people aren't going to spend twice as much on a set that they skipped last year.

Fox Mulder

I got it as well, I liked the build but my god the stickers really killed it. Never got some straight and it bugs the hell out of me. Won't be buying another one from the set as stickers are just annoying.

I hated stickers too, but they really add great details to these cars. I got the Audi and Porsche le mans prototype cars and the stickers look nice. You just have to be meticulous with tweezers or something like you're building a proper model kit.

No i'm sorry, That was mean spirited snark. I took a nap and am rereading what i posted this morning. I need to stay off of GAF when i'm feeling shitty.

I agree that D2C sets are different than regular sets as far as after market prices going way up. I think that has two factors, the more limited supply and availability and also the general prices of the sets being at the $100 or more mark. Eventually all sets regardless of D2C or larger themes rise above msrp, some just may take longer for that to happen as the retail channels empty. A lot of people speculated LoTR sets would be great investments but even the tower of Orthanc is doing meh in the after market so far. Monster Fighters sets are doing pretty meh as well except for the Haunted House and that damn very limited Zombie set. Both of which were coincendentally exclusive or D2C sets.

My question for those looking at Lego as an investment now would be if they expecting and planning for changes in the Lego landscape. Back 20 years ago even you could argue Lego wasn't as popular as now. They had less themes going and I would guess less sets being made. Now with more themes and more sets in production are you going to see less overall valuable sets as before? Obviously the correct answer is to just buy everything to be safe.
Didn't take it as snark at all. Just playful ribbing. I mean, I am rocking this avatar because of playful ribbing in the box office thread. :)

Fishlake

They had free quake beasts at Toys-R-Us today. So I ended up getting Kopaka and Melum /Lewa U/Pohatu U/Gali U and the free Quake beast.

I now have all but 4 of the G-2 binicle sets. Lava and Storm beast Ekimu and Skull Scorpio.

I might actually complete this series and I've never done that before.

It's a scary thought.

half time report on the Lego Big Ben.

The model is smaller than I expected even from the release youtube videos and so on. Apart from the tower, its about the length and height of a shoebox and obviously not as wide.

One missing piece so far, a 3x1 block, and some extra shrapnel pieces included.

A lot of fiddly repetitive detail, like make 14x of these: (attach three 1 dot pieces together) but the assembly instructions thankfully spread out the repetition to give you just enough variety to make each section vaguely satisfying. It would make a nice display model to light inside with some LED strips.

MzAEaWP.jpg

half time report on the Lego Big Ben.

The model is smaller than I expected even from the release youtube videos and so on. Apart from the tower, its about the length and height of a shoebox and obviously not as wide.

One missing piece so far, a 3x1 block, and some extra shrapnel pieces included.

A lot of fiddly repetitive detail, like make 14x of these: (attach three 1 dot pieces together) but the assembly instructions thankfully spread out the repetition to give you just enough variety to make each section vaguely satisfying. It would make a nice display model to light inside with some LED strips.

MzAEaWP.jpg
Once you hit the main tower is when the extreme repetition comes in and the set balloons in size.
The next bag is just the next two, larger parts of the tower. Just a 2x build.

Yeah I was prepared for the repetition from your previous post/review.

Not totally happy about the instructions in some spots, it is often hard to determine where the joins are in the pictures especially in the smaller flat parts there are multiple ways to do it, but only one right way. And the right way means seeing that really faint line that marks the join between two parts.

It isn't a big deal really but if staring hard at the picture is what makes an "advanced" set then it could easily be a beginners set if they used a different colour to outline the new blocks in each picture (not use yellow), and they had some zoomed pictures for more fiddly areas. Perhaps a second, rotated view, for some pages.

mrkgoo

Yeah I was prepared for the repetition from your previous post/review.

Not totally happy about the instructions in some spots, it is often hard to determine where the joins are in the pictures especially in the smaller flat parts there are multiple ways to do it, but only one right way. And the right way means seeing that really faint line that marks the join between two parts.

It isn't a big deal really but if staring hard at the picture is what makes an "advanced" set then it could easily be a beginners set if they used a different colour to outline the new blocks in each picture (not use yellow), and they had some zoomed pictures for more fiddly areas. Perhaps a second, rotated view, for some pages.

Have they always had the yellow outlines on the new pieces? I think this is the first time I've noticed. I just got the Ferrari f40. Halfway done. Some interesting build features.

I always wonder about the intracacies of designs with hundreds of little pieces. There must be dozens of ways to achieve the same thing. I wonder what makes a designer choose one over the other. Piece selection? Rarity? Of course stability but there must be just as many ways to achieve it sturdily.

I wonder if the designers have an editor and several eyes look at the design.

I wonder if I'm going to. Get buyers remorse from the Ferrari set considering I'm not really in a place to splurge on large Lego sets.

It's funny.... You come out of the dark ages and really there's only one path from there. You resist and just stick to certain lines or set sizes.... But eventually you break down and get a different set. A bigger one and then it only gets worse from there...

ericb!

Neo Member
Anyone else order Temple of Airjitzu for the bonus 500 VIP points? I decided to bite on it not because I care about Ninjago, but because the VIP point bonus is awesome and because it LOOKS like it will be a neat set to display.

I bought it twice earlier this week.

To me, it just looks good. Like, Haunted House good. Something I didn't want to miss.

teeny

http://www.beardednerd.se/Lego_PizzaPlaza.rar

Here you go. It's not complete though, it needs a ton of flowers to be added and stuff on the top floor. Also, some limitations of LDD:

* On the clips in the corner panel, put two of the Spider-Man web handles. You can then place the separate 1x8 plates on the outside.
* The red 1x4 over the door should be a part with printed flowers.
* The 3x6 plates (upside down on the bottom floor) should be 3x6 rounded plates with a 1x2 cutout (new part).
* On the second floor, the top right of the lavender front is missing a few pieces because the hinges wouldn't line up properly in LDD. Some plates and another 1x1 round brick need to be added here.
* Some of the dark tan plates don't actually exist and need to be replaced.
* There should be a string and a nozzle on the reel on the terrace.

Thank you very much for making that available! I don't know how closely I'll be able to follow the model - I suspect a fair amount of substitutes will need to be made - but I really appreciate it :)

On another note, Sainsbury's (UK) had the Robin & Bane Mighty Micro reduced to £6 so nabbed that this morning.

They had free quake beasts at Toys-R-Us today. So I ended up getting Kopaka and Melum /Lewa U/Pohatu U/Gali U and the free Quake beast.

I now have all but 4 of the G-2 binicle sets. Lava and Storm beast Ekimu and Skull Scorpio.

I might actually complete this series and I've never done that before.

It's a scary thought.
i

Dang. I wish I had decent income now so I could grab the summer sets partially for free

How long is the current Pirates line gonna be on shelves for? Is it on it's way out? I am asing because i have seen the Brick Bounty for 30% off in a local store and... well i'm not a HUGE fan of it despite owning the Black Pearl and QAR and loving them both! You guys think this set will go up in price once it's OOP in case i change my mind later on because apparently it's not doing so hot right now?

Yes. It is massive and magnificent when completed. But I am biased for TIEs.

I wish I wanted this set more, but I think I got my Tie Fighter fix when I got the First Order Tie Fighter set for $40 a little while back.

I'd love to have a UCS set for such a good price, but just not super interested in this one. :(

How long is the current Pirates line gonna be on shelves for? Is it on it's way out? I am asing because i have seen the Brick Bounty for 30% off in a local store and... well i'm not a HUGE fan of it despite owning the Black Pearl and QAR and loving them both! You guys think this set will go up in price once it's OOP in case i change my mind later on because apparently it's not doing so hot right now?

On it's way? It's already gone in most places. I don't think it will generally increase that much in value, but ships tend to do well.

mrkgoo

I purchased and built the Ferrari f40.

It was an interesting build. Not as super crazy as I would've thought but some really cool techniques that I didn't know of myself.

Finished model is less playable than I'd like (my daughter who loves putting minifigs in cars asked why I couldn't open the top - she managed to get minifigs in regardless :p), but it's not really that sort of model I guess.

It does however, look really cool. It's huge!

Some points I would've liked:

The little stick that holds up the rear- wish it was actually attached.

Likewise, wish the moving parts actually clipped in like with maybe a couple studs.

Wished the front wheels could turn or if there was an actual mechanism to raise the headlights.

But minor gripes. Seems like a pretty good set for the price.

ghostmind

Hey LEGO-GAF, I'm currently on vacation at a location with no internet (I had to travel just to get online now), so if you don't see me around for the next few days...

Damn, that UCS TIE is already out of stock -_-

Edit: Wow it came back with three left and I got through entering payment info then out of stock when I hit place order >_< Guess I'll keep trying. Hopefully they don't move that price back up too soon.

Jimbro72

Great price for the Tie, I love mine. Looking at getting the Sandcrawler for a vacation build...thoughts on that set?

Though it's been a little while since I built mine, I think it's a solid set, both in completed model looks and overall build. I don't think it gets much love around here, mostly due to not very many others that I know about having it, but I liked it. It incorporates some technic into the build, which helps keeps things interesting, and there is some neat stuff going on in the front end to achieve those angles. The only real drag while building it are the wheel assemblies and the treads. You hit those around midway through things and it comes to a screeching halt building that section and putting all those tread pieces together. But that small section aside, I think it's a very good set. A good blend of nice looking model to look at (if a big brown box is appealing) while also incorporating a lot of play features, if such a thing matters to you. Maybe not quite as good as something like UCS Slave I or B-Wing, but still good in my opinion.

Though it's been a little while since I built mine, I think it's a solid set, both in completed model looks and overall build. I don't think it gets much love around here, mostly due to not very many others that I know about having it, but I liked it. It incorporates some technic into the build, which helps keeps things interesting, and there is some neat stuff going on in the front end to achieve those angles. The only real drag while building it are the wheel assemblies and the treads. You hit those around midway through things and it comes to a screeching halt building that section and putting all those tread pieces together. But that small section aside, I think it's a very good set. A good blend of nice looking model to look at (if a big brown box is appealing) while also incorporating a lot of play features, if such a thing matters to you. Maybe not quite as good as something like UCS Slave I or B-Wing, but still good in my opinion.

I had thought about snagging a Bwing on the second hand market...maybe I'll look into that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom