• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hagi

What the hell with the burnt caramel colour on the upper half. Not paying £200+ on it if they don't get the colours right.

Another picture

pofh9o5ib28x.png

Yeah, getting good vibes off this, especially after seeing the play features on the back. I wonder who the designer is going to be.

And how funny that Ghostmind goes away for a few days and suddenly this leaks. He is engaging in espionage.

My heart stopped and my breath caught in my throat when I saw it. Holy shit not even the GB Firehouse got that kind of reaction from me and Ghostbusters is my favorite movie of all time.

Honestly disappointed by the Minifigs if they really did reprints of Donald and Daisy over Goofy or even Pluto. Hopefully they haven't all been revealed yet. Or hopefully we're getting a Disney CMF Series 2 because you can't NOT include them. I'm even surprised by the omission of Chip & Dale but they're like maybe one level down from the Main Three (though IMO just as important).

God that set is absolutely gorgeous but come on, give Donald a tux too, anything to make it not the exact same minifig they already sold us.

Jimbro72

The minifig collection is lacking in that set.
Based on leaks that is.

Surely there is more than just 5 minifigs in a $400 set. Wouldn't you think? For this price, I would have expected 12-15+ minifigs. Maybe they are keeping many of them hidden for now. I mean the Death Star was $400 and that thing had like 20 included. There's just gotta be more than 5. It would be slightly disappointing if not.

I'm like to think they included Genie in Series 1 as a tribute to Robin Williams, if for no other reason I'd love them to have Scrooge McDuck in Series 2 as tribute to his voice actor who just passed. ):
Disney CMF series 2: Everything was Ducks
Scrooge
Huey
Dewey
Louie
Launchpad McQuack
Gizmoduck
Glomgold
Darkwing Duck
Etc.
Etc.

I'll get the set for Tinkerbell, Mickey, and Minnie. Castle doesn't trigger any nostalgia with me so I'm underwhelmed. Looks nice though.
I think it needs a LEGO Friends makeover. :)

I really don't give a crap about these Mickey Mouse/Magic Kingdom things, but I would go bankrupt if they got deep into all that Carl Barks material.

I really don't give a crap about these Mickey Mouse/Magic Kingdom things, but I would go bankrupt if they got deep into all that Carl Barks material.

Yup I'm all about Carl Barks. I wonder if we will get a Duck Tales line in 2017 due to the new show (please be good, please be good).

I think the colors in these leaked pictures are fucked. Too much contrast. That "gold" color people don't like seems to actually be light tan. I wouldn't be surprised if it looks better in videos with proper contrast.

Ponn

Banned
I think the colors in these leaked pictures are fucked. Too much contrast. That "gold" color people don't like seems to actually be light tan. I wouldn't be surprised if it looks better in videos with proper contrast.

Looks tan from the backside. Seeing these further pics i'm really questioning piece count and price point now. It honestly doesn't look that much larger to me than the Vampyre's Castle from MF. To me it looks a lot like that set (I mean of course foundation build sans color and theme) except with the middle spire being a little taller and the front being a little more filled out. And that was like a 900 some piece set with a car build included.

Not a huge fan if the rear interior rooms. They seem too tiny to show much detail, compared to the last Death Star set with all its different scenes.

Maybe if it includes one minifig per room it could work. Wouldn't want to buy additional sets for the matching minifigs.

It does look a bit tan or it may be cool yellow which Friends uses a lot.

The vignettes definitely refer to a bunch of movies - Sleeping Beauty, Snow White, Beauty and the Beast, Fantasia etc... but if it's just Mickey and co, it feels very cheap.

Osahi

The vignettes definitely refer to a bunch of movies - Sleeping Beauty, Snow White, Beauty and the Beast, Fantasia etc... but if it's just Mickey and co, it feels very cheap.

There might be more figs, as the pic with figs doesn't look official too me. Probably will be those five though.

R-User!

On this episode of LegoGAF reacts to...

Well, it looks good, but I'm not blown away. Not possibly $400 blown away. It's a weird scale so it won't fit with anything, except, possibly, as a funfair attraction. It will have to have the most awesome exclusive figures for me to bite. Then again I've never been to Disneyland, so that castle is the opening credit to a bunch of movies and little else.

It's legit though. Those Elves railings don't exist elsewhere in white.

I wouldn't be 400 blown away, but maybe for 350 I might be. Certainly looks impressive!

Not a huge fan if the rear interior rooms. They seem too tiny to show much detail, compared to the last Death Star set with all its different scenes.

Maybe if it includes one minifig per room it could work. Wouldn't want to buy additional sets for the matching minifigs.

This right here!

Sorry to be that guy but,I mean, i can't help but compare it to the Death Star at that same price tag and... that is a night and day difference! While DS had huge, sprawling, detailed vignettes where some would pass as a set by themselves (think of the Tie bomber hangar-bay, or the emperor's throne room where they actually DID make a set of later on, the prison cells etc.) this has what? A bunch of tiny rooms that look like you can't even make a minifig stand straight up in?

Not to mention that selection of minifigs if you can even call it that? DS and Ewok Village had entire minifig COLLECTIONS included, as it SHOULD be at that price tag! This thing had better be 4-5000 pieces and expensive ones at that OR yet reveal a crap ton of AMAZING figs for me to get remotely excited!

TLDR; disappointed but will probably still buy ugh

Looking closer at it, I don't think this is a 4000pc set. Looks more in the 2000-2500 pc range, like Orthanc was. But, Ghostbusters Firehouse didn't look over 4000, but that was because all the pieces were hiding in the interior.

Osahi

This right here!

Sorry to be that guy but,I mean, i can't help but compare it to the Death Star at that same price tag and... that is a night and day difference! While DS had huge, sprawling, detailed vignettes where some would pass as a set by themselves (think of the Tie bomber hangar-bay, or the emperor's throne room where they actually DID make a set of later on, the prison cells etc.) this has what? A bunch of tiny rooms that look like you can't even make a minifig stand straight up in?

Not to mention that selection of minifigs if you can even call it that? DS and Ewok Village had entire minifig COLLECTIONS included, as it SHOULD be at that price tag! This thing had better be 4-5000 pieces and expensive ones at that OR yet reveal a crap ton of AMAZING figs for me to get remotely excited!

TLDR; disappointed but will probably still buy ugh

I understand your feelings, but we don't know the price for sure yet. Could well be a 200 to 250 set too. Also we have bo certainty the set is limited to those five figs.

I love how it looks. Price coupled with more indo will be the deciding factor

Every time a new big set like this is revealed there's always people who complain about all the specialized and custom parts and view it as "cheating". I can understand why its a shock to people who are used to early 80's sets where everything used bright simple colors and basic bricks. Although as long as the parts arent designed for one specific thing like the cockpits on some of the Halo mega bloks sets, new custom pieces are a good thing. They just expand the possibilities of what you can do with Lego. You simply couldn't make the new Wall E set with the inventory of parts from the 70s. Well maybe you could but he'd look a lot uglier and lack most his posability and features.

Only disadvantage I can think of is that if you lose a part it's a lot more likely you won't have a replacement ready, but there's things like pick a brick and bricklink now but I guess bystanders who haven't payed attention to Lego for 20 years wouldn't know that lol

Are people complaining about that in this case? Is there an official thread already?

Besides, this set (and so many others) proves them wrong. Look at that bed. That's the tail of a pink unicorn cat, printed and turned on its side, to form the ends of the bed. Or that candlestick, which uses the handle of a chainsaw in gold. If anyone ever comes in to complain about how Lego makes all kinds of specialized pieces, you can just tell them that.

Not to mention of course how Lego always made custom parts. Like this from 1955 or this from 1971. When were these people born, I wonder?

Unless they're complaining that it's not all just 2x4's. In that case they can bugger off.

Are people complaining about that in this case? Is there an official thread already?

Besides, this set (and so many others) proves them wrong. Look at that bed. That's the tail of a pink unicorn cat, printed and turned on its side, to form the ends of the bed. Or that candlestick, which uses the handle of a chainsaw in gold. If anyone ever comes in to complain about how Lego makes all kinds of specialized pieces, you can just tell them that.

Not to mention of course how Lego always made custom parts. Like this from 1955 or this from 1971. When were these people born, I wonder?

Unless they're complaining that it's not all just 2x4's. In that case they can bugger off.

Yeah even classic space had a bunch of specialized parts http://i.imgur.com/AmoDDb2.jpg

I guess people just remember those tubs of basic primary colored bricks and think "this isnt Lego" and then that's all that goes through their mind

Yeah, it looks great. Would be interested to hear why they've changed the colours, I'm sure there must be a reason for it. Maybe it just looked a bit boring or something? Just seems weird they'd colour it that way for no reason. The brick stickers are pretty gross too, haha.

I'm tempted, though, overall I really like it.

Koren

Yeah, it looks great. Would be interested to hear why they've changed the colours, I'm sure there must be a reason for it. Maybe it just looked a bit boring or something?
The original castle *is* two colored, although more light pink/salmon rather than yellowish. We need to know the color they used here, but I don't really think there's a color that really match the originals (flesh?).

I'd say gray, bright pink and blue won't do, flesh neither. Don't know if I would prefer light yellow or tan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom