• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The lack of minifigures is super strange, but we'll see how it pans out. I'd be fine with it if you could still find and purchase the Disney CMF, but you can't. :|

They already stopped selling those?

According to my Lego store, they are just out temporarily and are expecting a restock with the next wave of regular CMFs

If this is the case, I'm just ordering a box when they come back in stock.

Only 5 figs? That is really disappointing. They needed at very least Cinderella, Chip 'n Dale, Goofy and Pluto included as well.

Lack of minifigures is understandable if LEGO plans on rolling out more Disney minifigs. Sorcerors Apprentice could make a nice new set or at the very least a highly desirable CMF minifig. Also, a few more minifigs would have pushed the price to $400. :)

U.S. website shows them as "Temporarily Out of Stock" which supports what MiniBoossMan posted. I imagine they did another run due to overwhelming demand. Or maybe they just had a bunch in some warehouse. Another production run seems more likely to me.

ghostmind

udaMnb2.jpg

jcwjhwU.jpg

uWwtaQf.jpg

xtI5HcM.jpg

fVeqvJJ.jpg

UWl263Q.jpg

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
OK - seeing that there actually IS something there for Brave is a lot better. I am also waiting for an official video before passing too much judgement.

As a Disney nut, the set will of course get purchased. Just a matter of when.

Markus

Loving how LEGO has kept the prices in Canada relatively low compared to the US exchange rate; The Castle works out to ~US$300 to buy it up here currently.

I'm surprised it's $350 considering how it uses so many large pieces on the outer wall. Guess when it's this big its less about price per piece and more about affordability, making it $400 would probably decrease sales significantly

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I find sets like this a bit odd - its clearly aimed at adult fans due to the price and piece count. But then you have these goofy dioramas on the back which is more like a playset. I suppose it saves them having to close the building off and lets them make it fairly shallow (although still looks too deep for a billy bookcase.

Would have wanted more minifigs in a $350 set to be honest. If it's park themed then put in more Cast Members like any of the princesses, Goofy, etc. Tinkerbell is nice looking.

Ryuuroden

Another chance to see my Orthanc is coming up. I will be having it on display at the new Lego convention happening in my hometown Columbus, Ohio. I know some of you life day trip distance away so I figured I would give a heads up.

Ponn

Banned
Lack of minifigures is understandable if LEGO plans on rolling out more Disney minifigs. Sorcerors Apprentice could make a nice new set or at the very least a highly desirable CMF minifig. Also, a few more minifigs would have pushed the price to $400. :)

If they would have included an array of minifigs like an Ewok Village or Death Star I would have been ok with a $400 price tag. It would have been a 10 cent piece ratio with an appropriate amount of figs to sell the set. At $350 its slightly under 10 cents with a disappointing amount of figs, and only one really exclusive fig (not talking prints). I understand why they went this route, its Disney so its going to sell no matter what if even they included one fig. It also leaves them open to do another CMF Disney line and milk more money. I guess I see it as an opportunity to get as many disney figs made as possible lost opportunity.

I've spent the last couple weeks inventoring and preparing to sell of a large chunk of my backlog. This is still a very iconic set that would look absolutely wonderful in a Winter Village display so i'm afraid i'm going to sell of alot of sets just to get this. I plan on getting it day one though because I can see this very easily turning into a UCS tumbler situation with supply issues due to manufacturing, Rogue One sets getting manufacturing resources and of course the very soon holiday shopping season. I had cut down my extensive Lego shopping list down to this and The spiderman Bridge set.

Just an observation from Ghostminds post. If UCS Death Star is October, and of course the new WV set would be Nov. and Disney Castle is Sept then that means we aren't getting a Carnival/Fair set this year right? I guess its not going to be an annual thing then, bummer.

Yes, the Death Star is another thing that's making me (most likely) skip this. I didn't get the old one because I hate the old pre-2009 figures and it looked very blocky compared to newer sets, but a great modernized build with similar quality could definitely be worth it. But if that one also does this bullshit with only having a few figures, I will probably not bother with that either.

I wouldn't have minded a $400 set if it came with 10-15 figures. Once you go over $200 for a set it's silly anyway (really, for what you actually pay for), but at least you have something to show for it.

Fowler

You know Ryuuroden... you already built one tall mega-structure. Building another one? Meh. You've been there, done that.

The challenge here is not to build up... but out.

Don't build a bigger castle. Buy it and build it at that size.

And then build a Magic Kingdom at that scale around it.

You know Ryuuroden... you already built one tall mega-structure. Building another one? Meh. You've been there, done that.

The challenge here is not to build up... but out.

Don't build a bigger castle. Buy it and build it at that size.

And then build a Magic Kingdom at that scale around it.
Pffft. Minas Tirith or bust.

valkyre

Just finished Slave I...

Holy crap this is a huge set when you display it using the stand!!

It is easily one of the very best Lego sets i ever owned/built. The build was absolutely great, the detail is outstanding (even the underside is meticulously detailed) very few studs visible... I dont know its the whole package really.

The only problem is that it is so enormous that i am having problem finding a worthy spot in my house to display it as it should be...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Thanks guys - gonna check out B&N and the nearby Half-Price Books today.

Also, need some fun help! I am converting one of my spare bedrooms into my LEGO/hobby room. I need some thoughts on tables, storage, displays, etc. Anyone want to help design my room? :)

8J1Vep1l.jpg

I went with a Billy bookcase from ikea with the morlinden glass doors to reduce dust. Comes with wooden shelves which you can adjust the distance between which is handy, plus ikea do glass shelves if you prefer. Will take a 32 study baseplate in terms of depth on each shelf.

Just finished Slave I...

Holy crap this is a huge set when you display it using the stand!!

It is easily one of the very best Lego sets i ever owned/built. The build was absolutely great, the detail is outstanding (even the underside is meticulously detailed) very few studs visible... I dont know its the whole package really.

The only problem is that it is so enormous that i am having problem finding a worthy spot in my house to display it as it should be...

You think that is big, the UCS TIE dwarfs it.
And the nice thing about Slave 1 on the stand is the footprint is small so you can put it on speakers or something.

Confirmed that Disney Castle is a Marcos Bessa set.
Those little builds inside screamed Bessa. Hopefully it is more Ewok Village tier and not Simpsons House tier Bessa.

Linkified

So Lego-GAF I have just ordered Dimensions and then saying to myself I haven't used Legos for nearly 18 years...

...long story short lots of stress inducing real life situations have been popping up on near daily basis ... So went on Lego online store and OMG the sets look amazing I want ... I think I'm going to crack at least ... Help me.

So Lego-GAF I have just ordered Dimensions and then saying to myself I haven't used Legos for nearly 18 years...

...long story short lots of stress inducing real life situations have been popping up on near daily basis ... So went on Lego online store and OMG the sets look amazing I want ... I think I'm going to crack at least ... Help me.

No worries. Tell us what themes you like and we'll suggest all the sets you should buy. Also how to buy below MSRP. You came to the right place to help you buy LEGO.

LEGO is my therapy as well for dealing with stress.

3N16MA

Banned
I find sets like this a bit odd - its clearly aimed at adult fans due to the price and piece count. But then you have these goofy dioramas on the back which is more like a playset. I suppose it saves them having to close the building off and lets them make it fairly shallow (although still looks too deep for a billy bookcase.

I would prefer it to be a closed building similar to the GB HQ or Haunted House where you get the best of both worlds. However I'm guessing that would have taken the piece count to a place that TLG did not want to go.

Still looks pretty amazing.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I went with a Billy bookcase from ikea with the morlinden glass doors to reduce dust. Comes with wooden shelves which you can adjust the distance between which is handy, plus ikea do glass shelves if you prefer. Will take a 32 study baseplate in terms of depth on each shelf.

After I finish bag 1 of the Death Star, I'm going to start moving upstairs. Wife suggested I just build a shelf/storage unit to go under the window...We'll see what I think of that. I also want room for my boardgames.

Sigh

Two 1x1 sand green bricks went skittering off somewhere in my basement while building the Parisian Restaurant.

Been looking for them for an hour.

Guess it's time to hit Bricklink.

Fishlake

I find building Legos very comforting. It just calms me down and makes me feel good. maybe try a small set that looks interesting to you. I recommend a Mixel for something really small but with great value.

I also like to keep a set or 2 around me so that my hands do more then biting nails an picking nose. I have Kopaka U and Quake beast right next to me right now and I've figured out a way to attach Kopaka's sword and shield to his back playing around with him.

mrkgoo

If you want us to help you steer away from Lego...you've come to the wrong place :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom