• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghostmind

http://www.toynews-online.biz/news/read/lego-unveils-top-seven-items-for-christmas-2016/047073
"LEGO unveils top seven items for Christmas 2016"

10815 My First Rocket
41130 Amusement Park Roller Coaster
60124 Volcano Exploration Base
70323 Jestro's Volcano Lair
70595 Ultra Stealth Raider
75149 Resistance X-wing Fighter
76059 Spider-Man: Doc Ock's Tentacle Trap

What on earth (pun intended) is Volcano Exploration Base doing on that list?!?

"LEGO Loves High Profit Margins"

They should have stuck the Gas Station in there too...

ghostmind

One of the main contributors for Brickset has seen the new UCS Death Star and states that opinions on it will be divided. He also stated that he believes that the piece count will be a little higher than the previous Death Star.

Osahi

One of the main contributors for Brickset has seen the new UCS Death Star and states that opinions on it will be divided. He also stated that he believes that the piece count will be a little higher than the previous Death Star.

The reveal should be relatively soon, right?

So... I see The Simpsons House is on backorder on shop.lego.com in the UK? Could this be it? I know it's been rumoured to be on the way out for a little while, although I don't know if the summer is a particularly common time for retirements.

I wonder if this is worth picking up at RRP? I assume it's the kind of set that might appreciate in value quite a lot once it's gone, if I don't build it myself. Things like UCS Star Wars sets *everyone* knows about now, they're gonna get stockpiled like hell so unless they have very limited print runs to begin with the new Death Star will never appreciate like the Millenium Falcon has. The Simpsons House could though, it's one of those sets that has passed by quite quietly.

--

I'm taking the Arocs apart at the moment and it's turning me off the BWE a fair bit! This is a very complicated procedure because I can't really remember what order it went together in and everything's held together in about fourteen different ways and then reinforced and reinforced by other pegs and clips and all sorts. It's going to take most of the day I think! I was trying to break it into easy-to-manage chunks but that's easier said than done, I've still not managed to work out how to take the three parts of the main body apart, even though I remember building them in three seperate steps.

I wonder if this is worth picking up at RRP? I assume it's the kind of set that might appreciate in value quite a lot once it's gone, if I don't build it myself. Things like UCS Star Wars sets *everyone* knows about now, they're gonna get stockpiled like hell so unless they have very limited print runs to begin with the new Death Star will never appreciate like the Millenium Falcon has. The Simpsons House could though, it's one of those sets that has passed by quite quietly.

--

I'm taking the Arocs apart at the moment and it's turning me off the BWE a fair bit! This is a very complicated procedure because I can't really remember what order it went together in and everything's held together in about fourteen different ways and then reinforced and reinforced by other pegs and clips and all sorts. It's going to take most of the day I think! I was trying to break it into easy-to-manage chunks but that's easier said than done, I've still not managed to work out how to take the three parts of the main body apart, even though I remember building them in three seperate steps.

Use the manual backwards.

About the Simpsons, it has been a long running theme with a chance to rise in value, but do not think you are alone in buying it as an investment. You will have competition. Most Simpsons collectors will be aware of its exsistense, since yhere were 4 products over the space of about 2 years, of which 2 were very easy to see for people not into Lego (the minifigs).

Use the manual backwards.

About the Simpsons, it has been a long running theme with a chance to rise in value, but do not think you are alone in buying it as an investment. You will have competition. Most Simpsons collectors will be aware of its exsistense, since yhere were 4 products over the space of about 2 years, of which 2 were very easy to see for people not into Lego (the minifigs).

Ha, that's probably a good idea, but even that will take a ridiculous amount of time!

And yeah, I wouldn't presume to be the only person with a Simpsons House or anything, but I think it's going to be way more under the radar as a set than the Death Star will be, etc. But then it's hard to know what demand for either set will be like in five years time so who knows.

Ha, that's probably a good idea, but even that will take a ridiculous amount of time!

And yeah, I wouldn't presume to be the only person with a Simpsons House or anything, but I think it's going to be way more under the radar as a set than the Death Star will be, etc. But then it's hard to know what demand for either set will be like in five years time so who knows.

The Kwik-E-Mart would probably be a better option. A lot of people bought a Simpsons house who might regret later on not getting the supermarket.

mclem

I get the impression that if you want to make money with Lego these days, the trick is to buy the sets no-one expects. The Sea Cow being a recent excellent example.

The problem, of course, is that if no-one expects them... neither do you.

iuuk

Is the new Beetle worth the €10 markup it gets in the Netherlands?
Just got some new regular cabinets for under my display cabinets and took this opportunity to make room for the that set. I don't like keeping that space empty, but since I just bought the Slave-1 I already spent my LEGO budget for the next couple of months.

TBXAbz9.jpg

(Pic because I just like how it looks now and want to show it off)

mclem

Just got some new regular cabinets for under my display cabinets and took this opportunity to make room for the that set. I don't like keeping that space empty, but since I just bought the Slave-1 I already spent my LEGO budget for the next couple of months.

...do you have your Lego sets displayed in your kitchen, or do you have a microwave in a work room?

valkyre

Are these the IKEA Detolf display cases? I am looking at that solution as well.

I get the impression that if you want to make money with Lego these days, the trick is to buy the sets no-one expects. The Sea Cow being a recent excellent example.

The problem, of course, is that if no-one expects them... neither do you.

The Sea Cow, if that is the LEGO Movie ship, I don't see how anyone couldn't see it would be madly popular.. I looked for one everywhere when I came out of my dark ages, but to no avail.

I finished putting this together yesterday. I agree with pretty much everything that's been said about it - the build is not a ton of fun, but it is a godly display model.

After you mount the (massive) wings to the cockpit you are required to affix four 1x2 stickers to some relatively inaccessible 2x2 tiles (the arrows). It wasn't impossible, but it wasn't fun to do.

mclem

The Sea Cow, if that is the LEGO Movie ship, I don't see how anyone couldn't see it would be madly popular.. I looked for one everywhere when I came out of my dark ages, but to no avail.

It's not just whether the set is popular, but also how long the set is on the market for, and that's a crystal-ball situation!

teeny

I'm in the same boat. I still search for the Sea Cow in the dim hope it will be on a shelf somewhere, covered in dust. No luck yet :p

I've given up hope trying to speculate with Lego, I have rotten luck with that kind of thing.

mclem

While I'm not generally one for speculation, I may well be tempted into buying a second Disney Castle, because I suspect that's going to be huge. Even if I never go through with selling it, it's something that would be a wonderful gift for someone down the line.

ghostmind

More Death Star speculation - the comment "divided" seems to be the key, and not in that the set will put some people off, but that it could be a half-sphere, bisected vertically, with one side being the exterior of the Death Star, and the other being a series of vignettes from inside it.

This possibility has me excited, as it would be a new take, rather than a new version of the previous DS.

Fowler

More Death Star speculation - the comment "divided" seems to be the key, and not in that the set will put some people off, but that it could be a half-sphere, bisected vertically, with one side being the exterior of the Death Star, and the other being a series of vignettes from inside it.

This possibility has me excited, as it would be a new take, rather than a new version of the previous DS.

Makes sense, too: Much as I love the BEST STAR, some of the rooms in there are filler, and the basement is entirely unused.

(Or, WAS unused: That's where I've put Jeff Vader's Death Star canteen.)

Osahi

Imagine it being two half spheres that open up like simpsons house. How incredible would that be?

Sea cow is pretty cheap on the aftermarket still, i saw one on Ebay the other day for something like 299, which really is nothing in comparison to other big OOP sets.

IHaveIce

Banned

Hopefully it isn't like the last UCS sets like the Disney Castle, Helicarrier etc and has too few minifigs

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator

Those are some nice cabinets.

Im looking for display solutions for the studio atm- my modular street gets dusty fast, but my Guardians Milano and Quinjet are in storage boxes. The opposite effect really of what they're for.

Best possible outcome it sounds. Much like Orthanc, you have one highly detailed model side for display, then another side for play and showing off figures.

Koren

Simpsons House is the only major set I'm worried about going OOP. I have the Pet Shop, so I should be OK on modulars for a bit.
I wouldn't be surprised if PS, PC and PR were all retired in a couple months... PR is more of a stretch, but it must be expensive to keep olive green. I think dark orange may be the reason why town hall was retired earlier than other sets.

Hopefully it isn't like the last UCS sets like the Disney Castle, Helicarrier etc and has too few minifigs
Well, it's a bit disappointing for Disney's Castle, but for many UCS sets, I simply don't care.

For example, most SW UCS sets are not minifig-scale, except the Falcon and the Slave 1. I don't remember whether Tie or X-Wing even have a minifig, but if they have, that's wasted, what could you do with those?

It's kinda the same for Helicarrier, why minifigs? To display in front of the sign? That's not much, and having a dozen fig wouldn't make sense. There's no play features for minifigs, barely something where you can put microfigs. I think Minifigs in HC is mostly a waste.

Rootbeer

Banned
I'm okay with it being a half-sphere as long as it's a good set.

People with more $$$ can always buy two and cobble together a bigger structure if they want with good ol' master builder ingenuity. We are used to this.

If it displays well from the front it's not a big deal for most people.

it worked well for Orthanc and (seemingly) Disney World Castle.

Fowler

The only potential downside to the new Death Star is if they can't make the sphere look good. I don't particularly like the old UCS Death Star II, but I'm confident they've found something better in the years since then...

Taisaijin

Few birds chirping that the upcoming 2017 modular building is rumored to be the long awaited hospital. Anyone more informed than I able to confirm/deny?

Curse you LEGO for your strategy to make people buy 2 of the same set!
I'm imagining it being a melding of the 2 previous Death Stars.

Few birds chirping that the upcoming 2017 modular building is rumored to be the long awaited hospital. Anyone more informed than I able to confirm/deny?

About time. Library or College would be nice too since LEGO City seems to not be full of crime probably due to the lack of education.

Months late but it has finally arrived. :O
U9VbKIMl.jpg

You have chosen wisely.
I saw the build at the LEGO store. It's massive and impressive in real life. If I wasn't drowning in a sea of system sets I want, I'd probably jump on this one. I'm not a big car person too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom