• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
In a somewhat unusual move, LEGO is releasing two "skin packs" for Minecraft in September:

MC2lLaM.jpg

FhZQ7Jz.jpg

I understand they do it because they have to print the faces on, but i cant get over how odd those minecraft minifigures look with the heads that dont match the skin tone of the face prints. I honestly would prefer them just being "bald" on the other 4 faces and having the skin tone match the actual color of the head piece.

...aaaand that shop knows exactly the value of them and then some. Literally prices around $5000 for each. Just asked them to bring them out to take a picture to mess with you guys :D.

It's crazy though. This town where I used to live now has TWO major Lego collector retailers, both with huge shops. First one I went to had Fire Brigade and all after, QAR, BP, R2-D2, a ton of old SW ships, obviously Death Stars, Diagon Alley, the old Ferris Wheel, and much more. And still that pales in comparison with the second one, with those mentioned, ALL modulars, tons of rare Creator houses, Town Plan, Taj Mahal, Imperial Flagship, and plenty of all kinds of older sets going back to 2005ish. I literally felt like a kid in a... well, a kid in a Lego shop. Where all my nowadays pretty decent allowance still won't get me any of the cool stuff.

Ended up getting the X-men set and found the Spidie bridge for 40% off in another store, so it wasn't all a tease.

http://imgur.com/j6ygrfh
http://imgur.com/5TeVPYc

...aaaand that shop knows exactly the value of them and then some. Literally prices around $5000 for each. Just asked them to bring them out to take a picture to mess with you guys :D.

It's crazy though. This town where I used to live now has TWO major Lego collector retailers, both with huge shops. First one I went to had Fire Brigade and all after, QAR, BP, R2-D2, a ton of old SW ships, obviously Death Stars, Diagon Alley, the old Ferris Wheel, and much more. And still that pales in comparison with the second one, with those mentioned, ALL modulars, tons of rare Creator houses, Town Plan, Taj Mahal, Imperial Flagship, and plenty of all kinds of older sets going back to 2005ish. I literally felt like a kid in a... well, a kid in a Lego shop. Where all my nowadays pretty decent allowance still won't get me any of the cool stuff.

Ended up getting the X-men set and found the Spidie bridge for 40% off in another store, so it wasn't all a tease.

That's a store of dreams right there.

I'm glad Siegfried has that store near him, but in truth it just makes me so sad that Lasting Toys (my local store like that) shuttered its doors. They were at this game for 14 years....the ironic thing is that I think the popularity and success of the brand were what killed them. Such a shame.

Obviously they don't expect to sell these. They're also stuffed away near the ceiling, away from toddler fingers. I think the main purpose is to impress other collectors. But both of the stores are legit and have a ton of recent and near-recent sets at pretty okay prices, so families shop there too.

I think ultimately I prefer the northernmost Lego store, which is ALSO in a city I used to live in (dammit!), where the rare stuff is built and on display, and oldish stuff is rotated into the shelves at just a small markup. I can at least find cool stuff there. Here, it's just - "okay, so I want to spend two month's pay on a Lego set - I guess I'll buy it off Bricklink and only spend ONE month's pay..."

The Market Street store also arranges one of the biggest Lego gatherings in Sweden, so they're doing well for the community.

Plum

Hello, LegoGAF!

So I've got the money for both but I'd really only want to buy one. Should I get the Tower Bridge set or the Big Ben set, both being the massive Expert models? They both look amazing but I'm really torn on which one to settle with. It'll be my first Lego Set in 8 years or so so I want to make it count.

Hello, LegoGAF!

So I've got the money for both but I'd really only want to buy one. Should I get the Tower Bridge set or the Big Ben set, both being the massive Expert models? They both look amazing but I'm really torn on which one to settle with. It'll be my first Lego Set in 8 years or so so I want to make it count.
Tower Bridge. You have time on Big Ben.

Tip for Tower Bridge: build both towers at the same time.

Plum

Tower Bridge. You have time on Big Ben.

Tip for Tower Bridge: build both towers at the same time.

The thing is with Tower Bridge the size will be an issue for sure. Apart from the kitchen counter my house has no surfaces big enough to fit it comfortably. I'll have to find space when I complete it. Though if "You have time on Big Ben" means that Tower Bridge will be gone in a few months or so then I guess it's better to buy it now for the future. How long do you reckon it'll be before it's gone?

As for building both at the same time, how long will it take to build with that? Bear in mind I am a little rusty!

EDIT: Well, I bought it. Lets hope that £210 is worth it!

The thing is with Tower Bridge the size will be an issue for sure. Apart from the kitchen counter my house has no surfaces big enough to fit it comfortably. I'll have to find space when I complete it. Though if "You have time on Big Ben" means that Tower Bridge will be gone in a few months or so then I guess it's better to buy it now for the future. How long do you reckon it'll be before it's gone?

As for building both at the same time, how long will it take to build with that? Bear in mind I am a little rusty!

EDIT: Well, I bought it. Lets hope that £210 is worth it!
It will be faster than building one, then going back to the start of the instructions to do it again.

Also, set aside a lot of space to build. No numbered bags in that set. :) it's all or nuthin'

Plum

It will be faster than building one, then going back to the start of the instructions to do it again.

Also, set aside a lot of space to build. No numbered bags in that set. :) it's all or nuthin'

Yeah I can imagine that would be annoying. But by the sounds of it this is going to take more than a day at the very least, read a review saying it took 5 hours with two people! Now I've bought it I'm definitely really looking forward to finally building it. Will be a massive step up from the Hogwarts Castle I had when I was 8 or 9 which was probably the last "big" set I remember owning. Only now am I really getting to terms with the sheer scope of what I just bought.

Another question, there is a space I could put it on my bedroom window's mantlepiece but for most of the morning it's in direct sunlight with only a triple-layer of glass to protect it. Will it be fine here for display or should I find somewhere else?

Plum

Huh, the payment details in the Order Status page show neither the card I used to buy it nor the other card I have on Paypal. It's probably fine but this is really worrying me. Anyone with an order from the Lego Shop online can attest to whether this has happened to you or not?

You got us. My guess was you sold your soul to get them.

September calendar:

gWSXuj8.jpg

Death Star and the Winter Village Train on September 15th.

Is it me or have the promos the past several months and this one been poor? Fountain one is OK. I guess it's due to no good Super Hero and no good Star Wars promos which I've come to expect in Spring.

Ponn

Banned
Secured funds for Disney Castle. Is August possible double VIP surprise? Wouldn't think they would time that with Disney Castle release.

Markus

Another question, there is a space I could put it on my bedroom window's mantlepiece but for most of the morning it's in direct sunlight with only a triple-layer of glass to protect it. Will it be fine here for display or should I find somewhere else?

Mid-day sun is the worst, but it won't take too long before the constant morning sun causes noticeable discolouration of the plastic. This could takes a few months or a year to show depending on the intensity and exposure.

If you want to use that spot for display, consider applying a UV blocking window film, such as the 3M product listed below (which claims 99.9% of UV rays are blocked)

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/...ial/Sun_Control_Window_Films/Prestige_Series/

Just make sure you purchase a product from a reputable manufacturer rather then questionable junk made cheaply and sold on sites such as eBay.

Also, if you do go for a window film, keep in mind that you should avoid dark tinted or "mirror" films which can cause weather sealed windows (if you have that type) to crack or burst a glass pane due to the high absorption of heat causing the gas between the vacuum sealed panes to expand.

Mid-day sun is the worst, but it won't take too long before the constant morning sun causes noticeable discolouration of the plastic. This could takes a few months or a year to show depending on the intensity and exposure.

If you want to use that spot for display, consider applying a UV blocking window film, such as the 3M product listed below (which claims 99.9% of UV rays are blocked)

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/...ial/Sun_Control_Window_Films/Prestige_Series/

Just make sure you purchase a product from a reputable manufacturer rather then questionable junk made cheaply and sold on sites such as eBay.

Also, if you do go for a window film, keep in mind that you should avoid dark tinted or "mirror" films which can cause weather sealed windows (if you have that type) to crack or burst a glass pane due to the high absorption of heat causing the gas between the vacuum sealed panes to expand.
Good advice. I am nervous about sets near a window, but I rarely, if ever have the blinds open. But enough light gets into the room, just not direct sunlight. I am worried about long term damage. Things have been there for a year or more. Usually several feet from the window.

It means no one is buying those sets.

Most certainly. It also helps to promote the game which is a bonus while they unload overstock of that set. She is a nice minifig which is why I bought it, but it's not an army builder type so I don't really need two.

If it was one of those scurriers the promo would be awesome.

iosefe

of the ultimate figures, we only have Lavaria and Macy Left in our stock, and a little bit more of Lavaria i think.

she needs it

Saw the black knight mech review and ugh, doesn't seem good. Ratcheted hip joints, fixed knees, all the problems I have with most of legos mechs and why I loved the kings mech so much. The legs are, to me, the most crucial part for posing mechs cause they really can get some dynamic poses. And when the articulation is so limited it makes the whole thing a lot less interesting. Probably will pass.

Saw the black knight mech review and ugh, doesn't seem good. Ratcheted hip joints, fixed knees, all the problems I have with most of legos mechs and why I loved the kings mech so much. The legs are, to me, the most crucial part for posing mechs cause they really can get some dynamic poses. And when the articulation is so limited it makes the whole thing a lot less interesting. Probably will pass.

I hear you regarding the legs. I recall reading awhile ago LEGO moved away from the knee joint because it made it it more difficult to have the "mechs" stand-up for playability for kids. That being said, not sure why some sets do have the knee joints if that was the case.

No knees though isn't a deal breaker for me. Zane's Titan mech looks quite good despite not having knee joints.
Possible deal breaked for me is I'm not keen on the design of black knight mech overall. Wonder if it would give enough parts to do the King's mech in black.

I would buy Ultimate Macy for the trans red armor but nothing else in that interests me. Hope to see it discounted if it's not selling.

I'm not interested in the Black Knight mech either but there are some nice pieces so maybe if I see it on sale. The bad guy parts actually interest me more: that red medusa body and looks like a new rubber black spike piece on her vehicle.

That looks really disturbing ...^

It had been a little while since I last bought LEGO, so I missed the TIE sale on Amazon but now the store is flooded with a bunch of flippers reselling them along with many damaged boxes. I got one of the damaged box one for $130.00 and it arrived today the problem is the boxwas taped back so is there a way for me to know if it is complete. I look at the manual and it seems all the numbered bags are there but some numbers have multiple bags and some bags are not numbered. Thanks if you guys can be any help, beside me speed build it this weekend.

mclem

Who cares? Disney is the early VIP set. Already plan that as my birthday gift to myself.

I'm weighing up an early purchase of that against holding out until October. But my main reason for interest in the double-point items is that I'm nervous that a few things I want will retire, again before we hit Oct.

Taking some time off from cleaning and readying my house for my girlfriend to move in and built a couple of my Minecraft backlog sets. So far I've built the Desert Outpost and Nether Fortress. I love how well Lego captures the Minecraft look, and having all the sets connected spanning ~3 shelves going from forest to desert to nether looks so cool. Just need the snow set (which I might have but can't find, ergh) and the new Jungle set and I think I'll have all the biomes. Then on a shelf above everything I'm gonna put the Ender Dragon.

When does the Village come out? Or the Mega Fortress? I want to get those eventually but there's no chance they'll fit with my current diorama ):

Once I get it all set up I'll post some pictures! Then I'll just fill in the empty spaces between sets with random brick to flesh everything out and hide the wood shelf 'floors'.

mclem

Taking some time off from cleaning and readying my house for my girlfriend to move in and built a couple of my Minecraft backlog sets. So far I've built the Desert Outpost and Nether Fortress. I love how well Lego captures the Minecraft look, and having all the sets connected spanning ~3 shelves going from forest to desert to nether looks so cool. Just need the snow set (which I might have but can't find, ergh) and the new Jungle set and I think I'll have all the biomes. Then on a shelf above everything I'm gonna put the Ender Dragon.

When does the Village come out? Or the Mega Fortress? I want to get those eventually but there's no chance they'll fit with my current diorama ):

Both seem to be available at S@H:

Fortress
Village

Edit: Oh, misread 'Mega' as 'Nether'. The village seems to be right, though.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward

Once I get it all set up I'll post some pictures! Then I'll just fill in the empty spaces between sets with random brick to flesh everything out and hide the wood shelf 'floors'.

Could you post a pic or two of your Minecraft setup? I'd be interested in seeing what that looks like!

Edit: I'm an idiot. I got so excited about seeing it after reading the first paragraph that I didn't bother to finish reading the post before replying.

Ponn

Banned
That looks really disturbing ...^

It had been a little while since I last bought LEGO, so I missed the TIE sale on Amazon but now the store is flooded with a bunch of flippers reselling them along with many damaged boxes. I got one of the damaged box one for $130.00 and it arrived today the problem is the boxwas taped back so is there a way for me to know if it is complete. I look at the manual and it seems all the numbered bags are there but some numbers have multiple bags and some bags are not numbered. Thanks if you guys can be any help, beside me speed build it this weekend.

If I remember right there was only a couple numbered bags with two bags per number, the last one for sure was one thats the one you build the stand and get the fig in. The unnumbered bags are your plates. There should be a couple, I think 3 with black large plates and a couple long grey ones in them then 1 unnumbered bag with just a bunch of flat base plates, the ones that are used for the name plate on that stand. You get like 9 of them in the bag because 8 of them are used for the 2 panels in the build.

The Village should be available now. That Fortress was listed at the bottom of the Sept calendar Ghostmind just posted so either then or August maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom