• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I assume I must be doing something wrong.

After the new Wanted List update on Bricklink, I can't seem to change quantities of items on my wish list. Everything I try gives me a "Only 1 of each color/item combination is allowed per wanted list"

Anyone else seeing this? Am I using this incorrectly?

Taisaijin

More DS info from Reddit

(source. Promobricks.de : http://www.promobricks.de/6-dinge-zum-neuen-lego-star-wars-todesstern-75159/18555 )

(Rough) Google Translation:

1) LEGO® Star Wars ™ Death Star (75159) = UCS Set

Many there have already suspected: The new Death Star is a set of the Ultimate Collector Series (UCS). But do not rejoice too soon, because it behaves here like the LEGO® Star Wars ™ Assault on Hoth (75098) Set. For me, this is certainly not a reason to celebrate.

2) LEGO® Star Wars ™ Death Star (75159) = Play Set

Yes, the new Death Star is again a play set. As just mentioned, the joy is about the same as last discussion cause UCS set. While some fans will welcome another Star Wars play set, this may be for other fans one of the reasons not to buy the Death Star. The similarity of the model to its predecessor set (10188) is actually striking, even a Tie Advanced Hunter again belongs to the scope of the new sets.

3) 4,016 parts for 499,99 Euro

The new Death Star will have 4,016 parts. By comparison, the final Death Star (10188) consisted of 3,803 parts and included 24 minifigures. The new model will cost 499.99 euros, 80 euros more than its predecessor. I hope that this will change anything on price.

4) Sales start on October 1, 2016

According to my information the LEGO® Star Wars ™ Death Star (75159) will go on sale from October 1, 2016th Together with the new LEGO® Star Wars ™ Rogue One Sets. Power synonymous sense because the Death Star quasi starring in the new movie.

VIP presale from September 15, 2016
As we know from the LEGO® Store Calendar for September know two sets in the VIP pre-sale will be available from 15 September. The first set is the LEGO® Creator Christmas Train (10254) , the other set is the new Death Star.

And these mini figures are
Like the last model, the Death Star again has 24 Minifigures, you can expect somehow to be even with the selling price. Here the designer in Billund certainly have again done a great job, because numerous figures have been revised to shine in a new outfit. My favorite is the blue Imperial astromech.

I do not want to keep you in suspense, enclosed is the exclusive overview of the characters, which are included in the new Death Star:

Grand Moff Tarkin Imperial Officer Imperial Navy Officer Imperial astromech Chewbacca C-3PO R2-D2 Han Solo Han Solo (disguise) Luke Skywalker (disguise) Luke Skywalker (final duel) Luke Skywalker (Tatooine) Princess Leia Obi Wan Kenobi Darth Vader Death Star Gunner Death Star Droid Emperor's Royal Guard Emperor Palpatine Stormtropper Death Star Trooper

tuffy

Weren't there stories from Lego about kids had saved up for the UCS Death Star for a very long time? It makes sense to modernize the original design and its figures in order to keep it available, but it may be a hard sell to people who already have the older set.

ghostmind

Returning from vacation, so am behind on the latest.

The rumors for the new Death Star have been all over the place, so I'm not ready to commit to these Reddit comments yet.

I *hope* that the changes are more significant than a simple refresh.

Sounds decent to me. The original suffered from being so damn blocky and having the old style minifigures (that I hate). It could make for a great display piece for Star Wars figures and all kinds of guests.

It's still a LOT of money, so we'll see. But unless it's very flawed somehow, I'll probably get it down the line.

It's not a collection of tiny dioramas like Hoth, at least.

Taisaijin

The negative comparison to UCS Hoth doesn't seem applicable, Hoth suffered due to disparate vignettes not lending to a credible cohesive display, but the DS by its nature is a single unit.

I could see a couple of things w/ the higher price point - perhaps they'd provide a superstructure that allows for portions to be removable as a stand-alone playset.

Otherwise that extra money is just going for scale? Or Disney is taking their cut and it'll be the expected update to 10188 with a few new prints and power functions "Lights & Sound!" radar dish.

valkyre

why are so many people calling the new rumors regarding the new DS set "slightly" disappointing?

I mean to me... its not just slightly disappointing... its fucking weak to say the least, based on the rumours that are circulating around!

Seems so weird to me that they would just basically update the minifigures. They could have just left the old set on the market and changed the Minifigs. Slapped a New! Minifigures sticker on the box.

Ponn

Banned
why are so many people calling the new rumors regarding the new DS set "slightly" disappointing?

I mean to me... its not just slightly disappointing... its fucking weak to say the least, based on the rumours that are circulating around!

I guess if a really expensive UCS set turns out to be a rehash its "slightly" disappointing because hey, your wallet is saved for another month right? Always a positive.

On the bright side i'm reading these Lego Batman movie set rumors and my god if they turn out to be half true my hearts going to stop again. Those fig rumors are absolutely insane. The big sets are re-do's again yea but at least they sound awesome with great fig selections and finally a great sounding Bat Wing set. My minds blown and we haven't even got to the CMF line yet.

I guess if a really expensive UCS set turns out to be a rehash its "slightly" disappointing because hey, your wallet is saved for another month right? Always a positive.

On the bright side i'm reading these Lego Batman movie set rumors and my god if they turn out to be half true my hearts going to stop again. Those fig rumors are absolutely insane. The big sets are re-do's again yea but at least they sound awesome with great fig selections and finally a great sounding Bat Wing set. My minds blown and we haven't even got to the CMF line yet.
What figures are we rumored to get?

Hmmm opened/damaged ghostbuster firehouse headquarters for $150 , wonder if I should bite

Description is weird , says unopened bags so I assume the box is opened and the bottom cornered is bent/damaged

Ponn

Banned
What figures are we rumored to get?

From the sets rumored (will spoiler in case, you know, whatever thanoscoptor)

Arkham Asylum set:Aaron Cash, Barbara Gordon, Two-Face, Riddler and Joker in asylum jumpsuits, Batcave set: Penguin with new penguin minions based on penguins in new CMF line, Alfred, Disco Suit batman and Diving Suit Batman, Croc set: sounds like new bigger Rancor sized Croc fig, KITE MAN!! , Tarantula, Batwing set: CALENDAR MAN!!

From the sets rumored (will spoiler in case, you know, whatever thanoscoptor)

Arkham Asylum set:Aaron Cash, Barbara Gordon, Two-Face, Riddler and Joker in asylum jumpsuits, Batcave set: Penguin with new penguin minions based on penguins in new CMF line, Alfred, Disco Suit batman and Diving Suit Batman, Croc set: sounds like new bigger Rancor sized Croc fig, KITE MAN!! , Tarantula, Batwing set: CALENDAR MAN!!
Digging deep! Love it.

EDIT: And I don't feel like MOCing tonight after work. Think it is time for Spidey Bridge Battle!

Hmmm opened/damaged ghostbuster firehouse headquarters for $150 , wonder if I should bite

Description is weird , says unopened bags so I assume the box is opened and the bottom cornered is bent/damaged

That's pretty tempting but I would have to think more is damaged than just the box for a $200 discount.

That's pretty tempting but I would have to think more is damaged than just the box for a $200 discount.

Ditto. Hell, worth it at $150 if it is just the bricks loose in a tub really.

EDIT: Partway through Spidey Bridge battle. Green Goblin is out of the way early, and between him and Hobgoblin from the Ghost Rider set, I am absolutely in love with the Goblin figures and their gliders. Just fantastic work on every level.

Also, new element alert!

1x3 armrest pieces (or whatever these are actually called) Now we just need 1x1 versions that are not corners.

Fowler

I'm probably the only one not disappointed by the Death Star refresh because I already have the Death Star and am happy it's not completely obsolete :)

But a minifig refresh and tweaking the builds is a great idea, because those are literally the only two things "wrong" with the OG Death Star: The minifigs are super ancient and the build is not quite up to the standards of modern sets. The sheer size of the thing is what makes the build fun, but it's lacking in clever techniques that you see in others. I feel like I'm always learning something from every set I build, but I don't feel like I learned anything from the Death Star.

Koren

I'm probably the only one not disappointed by the Death Star refresh because I already have the Death Star and am happy it's not completely obsolete :)

But a minifig refresh and tweaking the builds is a great idea, because those are literally the only two things "wrong" with the OG Death Star: The minifigs are super ancient and the build is not quite up to the standards of modern sets. The sheer size of the thing is what makes the build fun, but it's lacking in clever techniques that you see in others. I feel like I'm always learning something from every set I build, but I don't feel like I learned anything from the Death Star.
I think a half star, like the Disney Castle, would be better than the current fully-open set. But that's just me...

theaface

Been a while since I've posted in this thread. Just thought I'd share something a little bit different; this is how my wife and I told our friends we're expecting our first baby...

7BqH8wh.jpg

I ran the London Marathon as The Flash this year, hence the top!

Osahi

Been a while since I've posted in this thread. Just thought I'd share something a little bit different; this is how my wife and I told our friends we're expecting our first baby...

7BqH8wh.jpg

Congrats man! (And good luck keeping your display sets out of the hands of the little ones!)

When I got the Lego baby I was thinking of doing the same thing the moment we have to make the anouncement.

In other news. Lego is very slow with my Ecto 1 + 2 order. Usually it gets sent a day after I order (sometimes the day itself even) and arrives the day after. Now it's been 5 days allready. Probably to with the bank holiday yesterday, but damn, I just want that dispatch confirmation :p

theaface

Congrats man! (And good luck keeping your display sets out of the hands of the little ones!)

Release the kragle! When we turn the study/office room into a nursery, I'm going try and get some high-level shleving in another room so that my modulars remain in one piece!

Well if the Death Star rumors are true, we basically know Rogue One only uses it as a plot device. Doesn't seem like much of any of the story could take place there, otherwise we would have minifigs/environments that reflect that.

Also got started last night on my most ambitious Lego project to date, and its wife approved!

mclem

So, with the Disney Castle imminent, any tips on documenting a build? I'm thinking time-lapse photography, but it's not something I'd do in a single day, so I'd also need some setup I can return my (phone, probably) camera to periodically that remains stable.

Fowler

I think a half star, like the Disney Castle, would be better than the current fully-open set. But that's just me...

I get what you mean, but the difficulty of producing a rounded surface with LEGO a combined with the quality of the interior means I really think they got it right with this one. The vignettes inside the Death Star are so good that you WANT to see them. People love mine, because they keep looking and keep seeing cool bits to shout out about -- here's Obi-Wan! Vader is choking someone! There's Leia in jail! Is that the trash compactor? -- etc etc.

I think it's because, unlike other sets, the Death Star isn't showing a cohesive interior to play with so much as it recreates specific scenes from some of the most famous films of all time. (Witness the minifig list: Most sets include one of each character. The Death Star includes THREE different Luke minifigs, to suit each "scene" he's in.)

It's worth noting that I normally hide the interiors! I have Orthanc, Bag End and Arkham Asylum, and I have all of them with their exteriors facing out and the interiors up against a wall! I'd do the same with Disney Castle if I was getting it.

I do wonder what they're doing with the extra 200 bricks. Death Star Canteen, perhaps...? :)

So, with the Disney Castle imminent, any tips on documenting a build? I'm thinking time-lapse photography, but it's not something I'd do in a single day, so I'd also need some setup I can return my (phone, probably) camera to periodically that remains stable.

If only there existed an easy to obtain material that could be used to construct some kind of stand on which to safely balance a camera.

But alas

teeny

I have used a Gorilla Pod before, they're pretty good. Nothing beats a proper tripod, however, for stability. You can get mounts for them for smartphones where the phone just snaps in, so you should be able to return to the exact same position.

EDIT: Or, yeah, Lego :p

ghostmind

Congratulations!

ghostmind

The LEGO Dimensions Supergirl minifig has been announced as an exclusive to the PS4 Starter Set, starting in September.

Dimensions completionists will not be pleased.

Koren

Congratulation, Theaface!

I get what you mean, but the difficulty of producing a rounded surface with LEGO
It's easier with largest spheres... Half a sphere at 4000+ parts could probably be nicely round.

Some even did a shell for the previous one:
http://www.fbtbforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=28129
dscf5609_b.jpg

The vignettes inside the Death Star are so good that you WANT to see them.
I don't know... I'm not interested if it's not closed myself. The vignettes are so off-scale (obviously) that I don't even feel the need of a round shape if you don't go for the exterior.

It seems Supergirl is a timed exclusive. So for other systems we just need to wait a bit.

Eh, it's not like she has any special abilities besides what Superman already has though right? So it's really just for show, and i already have the actual fig anyways from that Brainiac set, so i could care less i suppose.

Bring on Michael Knight instead (sigh it's gonna take forever for that one to show up)

Ponn

Banned
It seems Supergirl is a timed exclusive. So for other systems we just need to wait a bit.

I have a PS4 but i'm not rebuying the starter pack for one fig. That's ridiculous and goes against what they originally said about having to rebuy starter packs.

Eh, it's not like she has any special abilities besides what Superman already has though right? So it's really just for show, and i already have the actual fig anyways from that Brainiac set, so i could care less i suppose.

Bring on Michael Knight instead (sigh it's gonna take forever for that one to show up)

Yea she does have one REALLY cool power Supes doesn't

She can turn into her Red Lantern form and spew red flames

Do the brick and mortar Lego stores have pretty much everything, provided they're in stock and not out of production? Looking to possibly pick up a Ferrari F40, and it looks like thats not something my local TRU would carry. Not sure if that's just online only in general....

Do the brick and mortar Lego stores have pretty much everything, provided they're in stock and not out of production? Looking to possibly pick up a Ferrari F40, and it looks like thats not something my local TRU would carry. Not sure if that's just online only in general....

Best thing here is to call them ahead of time. They do not have everything in stock is my experience, at least not the ones in Cologne and Hamburg.

Koren

Definitively not online-only in general, it was available in my Toys'r Us and I've seen it this afternoon in a random, independant toy shop (alongside Ghostbusters house and Sydney Opera... a bit unusual for such a small shop, but the lego/playmobil store closed, so I guess there's some customers to attract)

Edit: and no, Lego stores usually don't carry everything everytime, although largest one usually have nearly all expensive sets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom