• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I missed 2x VIP again because we are refinancing our house and I was told to hold of spending money until paperwork cleared. Damnit.

Gotta buy Restaurant, Detective Office, Palace Cinema, and Brick Bank. :| Wallet am cry.

Markus

That reminds me, I actually want to get the GB HQ and Simpsons House as investments..

Should I do it GAF?

Creator Sydney Opera House, if you can find one at retail, they are selling for $400 to $500 on ebay (that's the actually selling price of a couple of recent completed listings).

Creator Sydney Opera House, if you can find one at retail, they are selling for $400 to $500 on ebay (that's the actually selling price of a couple of recent completed listings).

Whoah? It was just recently retired, why didn't people buy it then?

I think there's still one at the local store, but I'm not going to grab more huge sets that may become expensive eventually. In most cases, it's not worth the storage, and once you do sell it, you have to deal with Scambay.

Edit: There's tons of them for $300 on Bricklink still. The thing with this set is that it's a very big set that doesn't fit in with anything else, so there's not much reason to collect it. Although I guess the same goes for Taj Mahal.

So why can lepin make things so cheap? Id say lego is simply charging more for the brand but megabloks and others have the same ~.10c per piece ratio. Is lepin just using sweat shops or something?

Is the Batman Movie stuff seriously still not out in the UK? This is the second time I've been to S@H expecting to be able to buy it and getting no results

I assume it's January 1st at this point?

Rootbeer

Banned
Thanks to price matching and the Target $25 off $100 coupon (amazing, btw) I got both 75149 Resistance X-Wing Fighter and 75154 TIE Striker for $40 each! That's 50% off for the X-Wing, whoooo. Very rare score for a set like that for me.

YES this coupon stacks with price matching (for retailers Target price matches, which is quite a lot... amazon, B&N, walmart, kmart, etc.) go get some nice deals all

But plan carefully -- for maximum savings you want to get a toy purchase over $100, but as close to $100 as possible -- then use the $25 off coupon and purchase with your RED Card for another 5% off.

Ryuuroden

So why can lepin make things so cheap? Id say lego is simply charging more for the brand but megabloks and others have the same ~.10c per piece ratio. Is lepin just using sweat shops or something?

Lepin doesn't have to test new molds, design sets or packaging. They probably use stolen molds or the molds just aren't as precise. I know each one Lego makes costs a fortune. Lego factories are highly automated so there is not a added cost there. Each Lego set you see goes through at least 2 years of development. Lepin does not have to do anything but copy a product. The piece count cost of Lego has remained virtually unchanged for 4 decades. Lego also does huge services for Lego clubs donating millions of dollars worth of sets to use for public outreach and club support. It is one thing to buy 3rd party Lego compatible stuff that Lego doesn't make like custom minifigs and accessories. Its entirely something different to buy sets that are exact copies of existing or past Lego sets made from bootleg bricks.

Research, development and testing of new sets. IP licensing fees. Quality control and adherence to safety and other standards. Taxes. Development of tools, molds and machines. Labor costs. Maintance of a high standard structure to serve the costumers, including a chain of own stores.

Thise things aren't cheap and goes to the final product price.

Hell, Lepin does not even garantie that all the necessary pieces are inside each set box. It is very common to have a lot of missing pieces.

Ponn

Banned

2XhEBV3.jpg

you get what you pay for

My local Lego buddy found Batman CMF at Target. I missed his text so he didn't grab any for me. Keep your eyes peeled. I tried at a different target and they wouldn't break street date.

Ponn

Banned
My local Lego buddy found Batman CMF at Target. I missed his text so he didn't grab any for me. Keep your eyes peeled. I tried at a different target and they wouldn't break street date.

J2G just put up a vid with some unpacking of 10 of em so they are sneaking out there. He got them off ebay so no real pricing. I'm trying to decide how many to order on Jan. 1st. I'm thinking 20 with unrealistic false hopes of not getting one double.

Also not paying a license fee to companies like Disney is big one too.

What amazes me the most about LEPIN is the amount of research they do into what LEGO fans want, including minifigs TLG has not yet released, retired sets and above all sets that were never released but LEGO fans wanted.

Seriously? Given the amount of companies that haven't been able to make inroads towards protecting their IP in China, I didn't think Lego had a realistic chance.
There is evidence the attitude of the Chinese courts is slowly beginning to change -- most recently a Chinese company lost a case to make knock-off Air Jordan shoes.

Ryuuroden

Also not paying a license fee to companies like Disney is big one too. What amazes me the most about LEPIN is the amount of research they do into what LEGO fans want, including minifigs TLG has not yet released, retired sets and above all sets that were never released but LEGO fans wanted.

They don't have to do much, there are probably Lepin people lurking on Neogaf. I know they tried to infiltrate Eurobricks antipiracy thread to find all the ways people report them in order to circumvent them. The thread had to be made invite only and Eurobricks had a bunch of chinese ISP members try to get in with no post history etc.

ninge

ZkP3DdT.jpg

Our first Christmas display!

A combination of Changing seasons, Santa's Workshop, some of the bits from the 2015 and 2016 advent calendars, the Christmas tree poly bag and the train from last year. The toy shop is a gift for my wife so we will add that on xmas day (she doesn't read GAF so no chance of spoiling her gift :p)

I'm travelling thru London tomorrow for work so will try and pick up the Holiday Train if they have it in stock!

ghostmind

ZkP3DdT.jpg

Our first Christmas display!

A combination of Changing seasons, Santa's Workshop, some of the bits from the 2015 and 2016 advent calendars, the Christmas tree poly bag and the train from last year. The toy shop is a gift for my wife so we will add that on xmas day (she doesn't read GAF so no chance of spoiling her gift :p)

I'm travelling thru London tomorrow for work so will try and pick up the Holiday Train if they have it in stock!

Ohhh nice!

Love the combination of Winter Village, Changing Seasons, 24-in-1 box, Seasonal boxes and polybags, and advent builds.

They don't have to do much, there are probably Lepin people lurking on Neogaf. I know they tried to infiltrate Eurobricks antipiracy thread to find all the ways people report them in order to circumvent them. The thread had to be made invite only and Eurobricks had a bunch of chinese ISP members try to get in with no post history etc.
Interesting moral question: is it acceptable to buy LEPIN sets that never existed as Lego sets in the first place?
For example, LEPIN make an Iron Man Hall of Armour set.

Technically, in that case LEPIN is ripping off Disney not TLG.

Lepin doesn't have to test new molds, design sets or packaging. They probably use stolen molds or the molds just aren't as precise. I know each one Lego makes costs a fortune. Lego factories are highly automated so there is not a added cost there. Each Lego set you see goes through at least 2 years of development. Lepin does not have to do anything but copy a product. The piece count cost of Lego has remained virtually unchanged for 4 decades. Lego also does huge services for Lego clubs donating millions of dollars worth of sets to use for public outreach and club support. It is one thing to buy 3rd party Lego compatible stuff that Lego doesn't make like custom minifigs and accessories. Its entirely something different to buy sets that are exact copies of existing or past Lego sets made from bootleg bricks.

Interesting moral question: is it acceptable to buy LEPIN sets that never existed as Lego sets in the first place?
For example, LEPIN make an Iron Man Hall of Armour set.

Technically, in that case LEPIN is ripping off Disney not TLG.

Of course it is not acceptable to do that. They are still stealing IP. From Disney, not Lego, but still illegal. Also consider that those armours are probably Lego molds.

Aaaaannnd... speaking of it, custom stuff is really a gray area. We tolerate it better, in some cases even praise, but ultimately those people are making stuff (and money) from a Lego patent. (Keep in mind that I am not talking about MOCs that are made from fans, homages and such, that are not sold). Aaaaannnnd... in some cases the custom stuff is also based on an existing IP. Changing the name (like Game of Thrones -> Dragon Sword Fighter Force) is only a cover, people buy those stuff because of the original IP. Of course, Lego would never do sets based on those IPs, but those IPs are owned by someone (who is not receiving any copyright). Anyway, like I said, a gray area.

Edited: thinking better about my last sentence: I think custom builds/minifigs, made from official Lego parts, are OK, even made to sell (as you are Ok to modify a car and resell it, you do not need the aprove from the car manufacture in this case). But the question regarding if the custom stuff is based on an existing IP, in such case there is an infringement.

You basically sold off the best Lego house set ever made. Achievement Unlocked: Eternal Self Loathing.

I love that house, bring back memory of all the house sets we had as kids and building them with my brothers. Also build this particular one with my daughter a few years ago so probably will keep it forever.

edit: I didn't realize the Maze idea set is retiring!

Of course it is not acceptable to do that. They are still stealing IP. From Disney, not Lego, but still illegal. Also consider that those armours are probably Lego molds.

Aaaaannnd... speaking of it, custom stuff is really a gray area. We tolerate it better, in some cases even praise, but ultimately those people are making stuff (and money) from a Lego patent. (Keep in mind that I am not talking about MOCs that are made from fans, homages and such, that are not sold). Aaaaannnnd... in some cases the custom stuff is also based on an existing IP. Changing the name (like Game of Thrones -> Dragon Sword Fighter Force) is only a cover, people buy those stuff because of the original IP. Of course, Lego would never do sets based on those IPs, but those IPs are owned by someone (who is not receiving any copyright). Anyway, like I said, a gray area.

Edited: thinking better about my last sentence: I think custom builds/minifigs, made from official Lego parts, are OK, even made to sell (as you are Ok to modify a car and resell it, you do not need the aprove from the car manufacture in this case). But the question regarding if the custom stuff is based on an existing IP, in such case there is an infringement.
People sell designs/instructions based on licensed stuff all the time, which is the same thing. Is there an obligation to use LEGO parts in the construction of these sets?

Also, don't cry for Disney.... They made their fortune by stealing public domain works as well as other unscrupulous tactics.

People sell designs/instructions based on licensed stuff all the time, which is the same thing. Is there an obligation to use LEGO parts in the construction of these sets?

Like I said, it is gray area. Of course those people are making money over IP they do not have license. Big or small, an error is an error. Is it ok if I start making T-shirt with IP characters? Sell them? Make a living making them? Of course not. Why it should be different with Lego products?

Also, don't cry for Disney.... They made their fortune by stealing public domain works as well as other unscrupulous tactics.

Sure, to steal from a thief...

Ponn

Banned
Built the Snow Globe tonight. I know some may keep this packaged because of the value but it really was a great build. If you have kids I highly recommend opening it and putting it together with your kids during a christmas movie or something for a fun little time. The globe part is a bit fragile so you don't want people just walking up to it and shaking it because you will have studs every where (that didn't come out right) but its still a really nice christmas decoration and neat build with the drawer fireplace. It also has 4 of those new 2 x 4 studs on the side? pieces that mocers will find useful.

Built the Snow Globe tonight. I know some may keep this packaged because of the value but it really was a great build. If you have kids I highly recommend opening it and putting it together with your kids during a christmas movie or something for a fun little time. The globe part is a bit fragile so you don't want people just walking up to it and shaking it because you will have studs every where (that didn't come out right) but its still a really nice christmas decoration and neat build with the drawer fireplace. It also has 4 of those new 2 x 4 studs on the side? pieces that mocers will find useful.

The snow globe was really nice to assemble. Thank you again for sending me a spare!

But I just think about putting it in a winter scene like it is a memorial for Santa or something. He was preserved in it and people come by to pay their respects.

Ponn

Banned
The snow globe was really nice to assemble. Thank you again for sending me a spare!

But I just think about putting it in a winter scene like it is a memorial for Santa or something. He was preserved in it and people come by to pay their respects.

NP, LegoGAF is family.

Are you sure you aren't making a Halloween scene thouogh with that idea? Give him a panicked looking head and have him banging on the glass like he is still alive inside and surround him with Gingerbread men or elves chanting and worshiping. Oh better yet replace the white studs in the globe with a bunch of head pieces.

MERRY XMAS EVERYONE!

NP, LegoGAF is family.

Are you sure you aren't making a Halloween scene thouogh with that idea? Give him a panicked looking head and have him banging on the glass like he is still alive inside and surround him with Gingerbread men or elves chanting and worshiping. Oh better yet replace the white studs in the globe with a bunch of head pieces.

MERRY XMAS EVERYONE!

tonight I did have the idea of trying to make my halloween display snow covered to make it more festive...

Ziploc brand is the only one that fit perfectly. Small rectangles, small squares, and extra small squares all fit. You can see all four sizes in the pic. These are the 12x12 sterilite drawers.

Now that I have a few 12x12 drawers (Walmart Sterilite version), I was thinking of getting some of those Ziploc containers.

Are these the same? They don't give dimensions, just size in oz.

http://www.target.com/p/ziploc-to-go-variety-pack-containers-8ct/-/A-16397523

EDIT: I found the dimensions in packs with just 1 size, but some of them seemed a bit off.

Now that I have a few 12x12 drawers (Walmart Sterilite version), I was thinking of getting some of those Ziploc containers.

Are these the same? They don't give dimensions, just size in oz.

http://www.target.com/p/ziploc-to-go-variety-pack-containers-8ct/-/A-16397523

EDIT: I found the dimensions in packs with just 1 size, but some of them seemed a bit off.
The shallower ones look correct. The taller container doesn't fit in the drawers I have.

The small and extra small were perfect fits. Small squares giving you most space for buck, but obviously not as many sections per drawer.

Osahi

You can't steal from the public domain. That's not how copyright works. If you adapt from public domain you create something new, and you hold rights to what you created.

As I've said before. LEPIN is a big no-no, even for figs or sets Lego does not make. Buying stuff from them is supporting a criminal company

I can actually grab one of those for retail I think.. Maybe I should..

They still sell for $300 on Bricklink. Some people paying ridiculous scalper prices doesn't mean it's worth that much - yet.

It's also a HUGE box. Consider whether you want to keep that stored.

While it's exciting to think you could have a stock of the next Taj Mahal/Grand Carousel/MF, I don't think we'll ever see a repeat of that. Lego has exploded in popularity since 2007-2009 so very few sets are available relative to the demand. Now, every time there's a 200+ set, it's stockpiled like crazy.

I found a used version of one of my all-time dream sets in fantastic condition way below market-price on a Craiglist type service. I offered the seller more than the listed price but he preferred to sell to the first person who contacted him. What else can I do?

You can't steal from the public domain. That's not how copyright works. If you adapt from public domain you create something new, and you hold rights to what you created.
Adapting public domain so you claim copyright is unethical and is a consequence of poor legislation partly a result of intense lobbying by Disney themselves. Anyway, I don't want to derail this thread any further. Watch this video if you want to:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk862BbjWx4

wetwired

Having done this myself, legally you can create a likeness of a character but you cannot accompany that likeness with their trademarked names. So hence "X-Agents" rather than the other thing. That, as you said is the grey area.

Having done this myself, legally you can create a likeness of a character but you cannot accompany that likeness with their trademarked names. So hence "X-Agents" rather than the other thing. That, as you said is the grey area.

Wetwired, I knew you may feel it was target to you, but truly it wasn't. You have done great stuff, even with the support of the original actors. Grey area, but still zillions light years from some shameless companies like Lepin.

Osahi

Just back from Rogue One. There is a lot of potential set material there, that Lego hasn't tapped into yet. There is even a ship that plays a larger part in the movie then some ships that made it into sets.

(And I must say, boy, did Lego did a magnificent job in recreating the ships into models.)

Adapting public domain so you claim copyright is unethical and is a consequence of poor legislation partly a result of intense lobbying by Disney themselves. Anyway, I don't want to derail this thread any further. Watch this video if you want to:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk862BbjWx4

I am sorry I am coming back to this, but I have a hard time letting misinformation slip by.

That video is quite a load of bullocks, pardon-me my French. It presents some facts about copyright laws, and an opinion about them (that's okay offcourse, you don't have to agree with how copyright works) and then a a lot of misinformation, insinuation and straight up lies.

Yes, Copyright at the moment is protected until 70 or 75 years after the death of the author (depending on where you're based) and in the UK and US, it's usually managed by companies (as authors often sell their rights for a hefty fee when creating a work. It's different where I'm from, my copyright is inalienable in mainland Europe. I can only sell, among other things, the right to adapt, to produce, etc). If you don't agree with this. Fine. You don't have to. At the moment it is the way it is. Laws change, and it is not because a law from 300 years ago sais copyright is protected 28 years after publication date, that has to still be the case today. If laws aren't allowed to change, I don't want to know what punishments we would still deal out to thiefs.

So no. Disney does not steal the copyright on public works, and it is a straight out lie of this video to imply it. Yes, they adapt public works and they have copyright on that adaptation. They have the right on how their characters look, they have the right on the specific script of their films, the music, the direction, etc. They do NOT have the right on the publik work. You can still adapt Snow White if you want to. You can still publish the original fairy tale. They didn't steal anything. They created based upon an existing work, and have the rights to their creation.

You can still make Alice in Wonderland movies, books or games or whatever, to take the example of the video. You just can't lift any of the adaptive elements Disney brought into their version. (So you can't make an animated sequel with the exact same character designs). The video implies that is stealing from public domain. It is absolutely not.

And let me give another example the video taps into. If Star Wars was public domain now, and you would have made Rogue One. The story of Rogue One, the new characters you created, etc would all be copyrighted under you. But I would still be able to make a Star Wars-movie, even one about stealing Death Star-plans. As long as I don't blatently steal ideas from your work. It's the same thing Disney does with fairy tales

They still sell for $300 on Bricklink. Some people paying ridiculous scalper prices doesn't mean it's worth that much - yet.

It's also a HUGE box. Consider whether you want to keep that stored.

While it's exciting to think you could have a stock of the next Taj Mahal/Grand Carousel/MF, I don't think we'll ever see a repeat of that. Lego has exploded in popularity since 2007-2009 so very few sets are available relative to the demand. Now, every time there's a 200+ set, it's stockpiled like crazy.

Yeah, right after this discussion I noticed that it's actually not that expensive on Bricklink. Especially Aussies appear to have it well stocked.

I guess scarcity is kind of a rarity in its own right in these days of Lego popularity. I'm mostly keeping my eye on sets that touch on Lego themes that really take a long time circulating (i.e. Castles, Pirates, Space, etc.) In that regard the Lego Movie Spaceship and Sea Cow were gold mines and I want to punch myself for not buying them.

I wish Lego would re-release some older sets from such absent themes from time to time, the way Games Workshop does with their boxed games though - or at least keep them in circulation for longer. I mean, I would really love to get a 10193 or 70413 but there's nothing like either of the two at the moment..

I found a used version of one of my all-time dream sets in fantastic condition way below market-price on a Craiglist type service. I offered the seller more than the listed price but he preferred to sell to the first person who contacted him. What else can I do?
Sorry to quote myself, but I offered him double what he initially asked for and he still refused.

Sorry to quote myself, but I offered him double what he initially asked for and he still refused.

Relate to his empathy and let him know how and why it's emotinally important to you, and kindly ask if the first buyer would cancel the transaction if you paid the seller a premium and the buyer some compensation.

Hummmm.... I side with him in this case. If I accepted an offer I cannot cancel it later because I received a better offer. I would have to honour the deal. I would still kick my ass for not waiting a while for offers to arrive before settled it with the first offer thought.

But as others said you can still try to reason with him and offer compensations, just not overabuse him. Stop when you fell it is not going anywhere.

Relate to his empathy and let him know how and why it's emotinally important to you, and kindly ask if the first buyer would cancel the transaction if you paid the seller a premium and the buyer some compensation.
The buyer hasn't paid for it. The seller is going away for a week on business and will finalise the sale when he returns. I could have concluded the transaction before he went away. The set was listed only for 3 hours before I made my first offer. The seller's latest response was "I have other similar sets that I will put on sale soon." Ugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom