• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wild. If there was any doubt Lego wouldn't milk the heck out of Star Wars with all the new attention the franchise is garnering, that's out the door now.

The ships look cool enough that I'm reluctant to call it "milking." If they were phoning in lame sets just because it's star wars and will sell anyway, sure, but it ain't like they're trying to sell us a 200 dollar UCS desert salvage-market from the beginning of TFA.

The ships look cool enough that I'm reluctant to call it "milking." If they were phoning in lame sets just because it's star wars and will sell anyway, sure, but it ain't like they're trying to sell us a 200 dollar UCS desert salvage-market from the beginning of TFA.

I'm more referencing the fact that they're making sets out of the novels. As in, they're reaching that far for material to produce more sets. I've got no issue with it. If they're good, I'll buy, if they're not, I won't. I'm just stunned that Star Wars novels are being used for source material.

I'm more referencing the fact that they're making sets out of the novels. As in, they're reaching that far for material to produce more sets. I've got no issue with it. If they're good, I'll buy, if they're not, I won't. I'm just stunned that Star Wars novels are being used for source material.

Yeah I get what you mean. Gaming-side has probably made me unreasonably cynical towards the word "milking." Oddly even though I'm not a massive star wars fan i'm excited by it, just because it seems so rare to see a deep cut from a universe get a quality treatment in a prominent way.

kr2t0s

A little off topic but this is the Lego thread and this is a question about Ninjago.

Does anyone know what's going on with Season 6 of the tv show? I cannot find a release date or anything but I've been seeing new episodes pop up on YouTube but nowhere else. They are in English (Cartoon network logo is on all of them) but when I visit the Cartoon Network website I can't find any information about the show.

Searching the Internet seems to have zero information about season 6 except for YouTube having new episodes.

Thanks!

ghostmind

A little off topic but this is the Lego thread and this is a question about Ninjago.

Does anyone know what's going on with Season 6 of the tv show? I cannot find a release date or anything but I've been seeing new episodes pop up on YouTube but nowhere else. They are in English (Cartoon network logo is on all of them) but when I visit the Cartoon Network website I can't find any information about the show.

Searching the Internet seems to have zero information about season 6 except for YouTube having new episodes.

Thanks!

I think it may have been delayed in the US, since the sets won't be released there until March (they are already out in the UK/Europe). Looks like the episodes posted on YouTube have come from Asia on an English-language channel.

I've watched the first three episodes and Ninjago has gotten kind of dark for a kids show. SPOILER
I think they may be heading to a reboot of the franchise in time for the movie.

Looks like the Nexo Knights season starts this week on CN though.

robochimp

The Force Awakens didn't really give them much to work with in the ship department.

If we ever get something as awesome as the Sith fury class interceptor due to novels, I'll be happy.

Ryuuroden

I wish I was buying back then. I'm hearing stories about TRU putting modulars at 20% off and exclusives going on sale regularly.

Yeah or the Death Star for 250 dollars....and Black Friday at the Lego Store with the scratch off cards with up to 40% discount. The 2nd to last year they had that I got a 30% off card and bought 3,000 dollars worth of exclusives for 30% off.

kr2t0s

Oh wow! I didn't know the sets were already out in Europe. To import or not....

And yeah, as much as I like the ghost season toys, the show has turned a little dark for their target audience IMO.

I think it may have been delayed in the US, since the sets won't be released there until March (they are already out in the UK/Europe). Looks like the episodes posted on YouTube have come from Asia on an English-language channel.

I've watched the first three episodes and Ninjago has gotten kind of dark for a kids show. SPOILER
I think they may be heading to a reboot of the franchise in time for the movie.

Looks like the Nexo Knights season starts this week on CN though.

Just finished the Resistance Troop Transport. The JANG hype is totally real. That was awesome.

I can't tell if I should call this the new TIE Advance Prototype like Ghostmind did, or the new Quinjet. But, unlike Quinjet, it doesn't have any really awesome figures to chase down. It is all about the awesome build. SNOT everywhere and in every direction. And like the TIE AP, it just feels chunky and solid. I feel like you could kill someone with this thing if you hit them with it.

Very, very highly recommended. Thanks to Ghostmind for posting the JANG video that hyped me for this. Hype is totally on point.

The Force Awakens didn't really give them much to work with in the ship department.

If we ever get something as awesome as the Sith fury class interceptor due to novels, I'll be happy.

Yeah, that was a big failure for TFA to me. Only the two troop transports were new and received sufficient screen time. Variations of the X-Wing and TIE were cool and all, but I wanted some new ships!

ghostmind

Yeah, that was a big failure for TFA to me. Only the two troop transports were new and received sufficient screen time. Variations of the X-Wing and TIE were cool and all, but I wanted some new ships!

Thankfully we won't have long to wait for more... here's my prediction:

1H 2016 wave (January (North America split into January & March))
2H 2016 wave (May/June)
Rogue One wave (September 2nd)
1H 2017 Wave (January)
Episode VIII Wave (March)
2H 2017 wave (June/July)

Add to that all of the upcoming UCS sets, and the golden age of LEGO Star Wars is upon us.

Gt6fYGc.gif

Thankfully we won't have long to wait for more... here's my prediction:

1H 2016 wave (January (North America split into January & March))
2H 2016 wave (May/June)
Rogue One wave (September 2nd)
1H 2017 Wave (January)
Episode VIII Wave (March)
2H 2017 wave (June/July)

Add to that all of the upcoming UCS sets, and the golden age of LEGO Star Wars is upon us.

Gt6fYGc.gif

Yup, we're gonna get deluged with Star Wars soon. Makes me think I need to limit my other Lego purchases if I want to keep up.

Regarding the lack of new designs in TFA, did forget about Kylo's ship. So that's another.

I am still on the fence if I want the UCS Sandcrawler or not. It isn't screaming to me, but I would feel odd not having all the UCS Star Wars stuff since coming out of the dark ages.

iosefe

there's something about Technic that people have issues with.

last week we got two returned sets of the new Pull Backs, saying missing pieces. usually it's not missing pieces and someone just fucked up and didn't realize it. for once there actually are missing pieces

Police Interceptor: Missing one long white bar on the passenger side, otherwise fine. i'm willing to bet my paycheck that bar is currently under their couch or mixed in with other pieces. speaking of mixed in, when they brought in the pieces, one of the pieces form another set was in it, the Getaway Racer

Getaway Racer: this is a case where i was right that they messed up the build early on, but it's also missing a piece. same deal with that missing bar, i bet it's still at their house.

Anyway, my task was to build these for display, and i guess they look passable. i could probably steal a part from the Quad bike when we take it out of display and put it on the complete the Racer. Interceptor will just have to survive as is. not too noticable form a certain angle

Rootbeer

Banned
Oh wow, from what I am hearing the mystery Star Wars ships are from the Aftermath book, and have distinct tie-ins to TFA.

While prelims, the colors and weapon on the droid vaguely match. Also it comes with a child character minifig, and Mister Bones is built by the child protagonist of that book (that child grows up to be the bearded human male X-Wing Pilot in TFA, Temmin Wexley. played by J.J.'s IRL friend)

Mister Bones is a heavily modified B1 Battle Droid that has been painted black and red and has a vibrating blade attached to one arm.

As for the unnamed black ship, I really hope that is Dengar because he's one of the last minifigures I need out of the characters that have had minifigure releases.

Fowler

Oh wow, from what I am hearing the mystery Star Wars ships are from the Aftermath book, and have distinct tie-ins to TFA.

I had a funny feeling it was from Aftermath after seeing the droid trooper. Cool that they're making sets based on the new EU. Too bad Aftermath is kinda meh.

In case anyone's wondering about the Aftermath/TFA connection:
One of the main characters in Aftermath, Temmin Wexley, is a younger version of Greg Grunberg's "Snap" Wexley (the larger bearded X-Wing pilot).

EDIT: D'oh, somehow missed Zulithe's post above mine saying exactly the same thing!

3N16MA

Banned
I am still on the fence if I want the UCS Sandcrawler or not. It isn't screaming to me, but I would feel odd not having all the UCS Star Wars stuff since coming out of the dark ages.

I'm going to pass on it. I decided that once I jumped into the SW UCS sets, I would only buy the ones I want. I didn't care much for the Sandcrawler in the film when I first saw it as a kid. I don't care much for it as a LEGO set. Also it is $350 CAD which is too much to spend on a set that I don't really care for. There is a list of sets that I rather spend that money on.

It helps that I'm not concerned about getting every UCS set that is released. I just get the ones that I like and that usually means I also like the subject matter in the films. I think all the other UCS sets that are currently available are great. I will pick them all up at some point. Ewok Village will be next as it is the most likely to retire. The Snowspeeder and Echo Base sound like winners.

Of course if you're a completist, not getting the Sandcrawler will bother you in the long run.

I'm really angry that I'm coming around on Nexo Knights. I'm trying to reduce, not start collecting a whole new line!!

Also hadn't even noticed but thinking about it I haven't seen the Ant-Man set in our store since long before Christmas. If we get it back in a definitely want to pick up a second one for my dad. Blergh.

mojiimbo

Anyone try out the Nexo Knights game/app? Worth checking out?

Also, Ewok Village should finally be trickling back into LEGO stores...

Osahi

Just placed an order for the Rey and Kylo Constractions. Got them together for 43 euro's, which is 7 less then RRP. Seems like the FNAC-chain sells there Lego stuff online at French RRP (with some extra member discount sometimes too), so I'll check them out more often now. (In Belgian stores they stick to Belgian RRP, but have some sales from time to time)

Not really into building constraction stuff (doesn't feel like Lego to me), but I like how they look and they are great to pose

teeny

It has begun

Envious, I hope you enjoy it!

I didn't quite get my "backlog" complete over the weekend. Made some progress with Wall-E and The Mystery Mansion but stuff came up.

Friday night was awesome though. Got in from work late (again) and a neighbour received a parcel for me - it was The Ghost! A week earlier than the estimate, too, was a nice end to a horrible new year start.

Settled down to build it whilst watching X-Files from the beginning (I had only seen random episodes before now) and completed it in one sitting at around 2:00AM. I really enjoyed the build despite the lack of interior.

I'm going to take some photos of my 2016 builds so far one the others are complete. It will probably be a while before I get any new Lego that isn't minifigures or microfighters :)

wetwired

Envious, I hope you enjoy it!

I didn't quite get my "backlog" complete over the weekend. Made some progress with Wall-E and The Mystery Mansion but stuff came up.

Friday night was awesome though. Got in from work late (again) and a neighbour received a parcel for me - it was The Ghost! A week earlier than the estimate, too, was a nice end to a horrible new year start.

Settled down to build it whilst watching X-Files from the beginning (I had only seen random episodes before now) and completed it in one sitting at around 2:00AM. I really enjoyed the build despite the lack of interior.

I'm going to take some photos of my 2016 builds so far one the others are complete. It will probably be a while before I get any new Lego that isn't minifigures or microfighters :)

In before my sneaky edit

I never understood the backlog until recently, previously I'd build straight away but Waller Customs and work gets in the way, I have the 2 above and BBT on the backlog with the Ghostbusters HQ in the mail.

teeny

In before my sneaky edit

I never understood the backlog until recently, previously I'd build straight away but Waller Customs and work gets in the way, I have the 2 above and BBT on the backlog with the Ghostbusters HQ in the mail.

I didn't really get it either, then Christmas happened :p Generally, I order a set at a time unless it's like battlepacks or microfighters or something.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
I don't know if any of them will end up as rare as we thought. Walmart near me had a ton of a raptor escape sets last week and Target had restocked the entire line as well.

Speaking of 'rare,' I didn't realize that the Ant-Man Final Battle was unofficially "retired" and has pretty much doubled in resale value. It was out for 6 months before being done it looks like. If that holds true, I can see some of these minifigures fetching a good bit in the aftermarket.

It's just one of the sets that sold out over christmas, it's not retired. Just not readily available everywhere until a couple of weeks when production for sets will ramp up again.

Rootbeer

Banned
And the adult "Snap" Wexley is in the Resistance X-Wing Microfighter set.

clt5YJc.jpg

Yes I can't wait to get it for that very reason. I kinda hope he's not included in the minifig scale Resistance X-Wing shown in the prelim pics, just keep him exclusive to this little set for a while.

(Would love to see an Ello Asty minifig though)

teeny

Yes I can't wait to get it for that very reason. I kinda hope he's not included in the minifig scale Resistance X-Wing shown in the prelim pics, just keep him exclusive to this little set for a while.

(Would love to see an Ello Asty minifig though)

I love that the microfighters are starting to get "named" SW characters even if I am a bit disappointed in most of the builds in this wave.

I wonder if the constant film release schedule is going to pave the way for older ships, which have had many Lego releases and revisions, to be scaled down to microfighter size. Each new wave could have a mix of new and old designs with a few named characters thrown in as opposed to generic pilots.

TheFuzz

It's just one of the sets that sold out over christmas, it's not retired. Just not readily available everywhere until a couple of weeks when production for sets will ramp up again.

You sure? It's the only set I know of that sold out on Lego, and all brick and mortar stores have it listed on their websites as "not available in store"' instead of out of stock.

ghostmind

You sure? It's the only set I know of that sold out on Lego, and all brick and mortar stores have it listed on their websites as "not available in store"' instead of out of stock.

I wouldn't count on that - if you want it, pick it up at retail now while you still can.

The modular bank should not have been a corner building. It would have been better served as strictly front facing IMO. Nice building, but I am struggling to figure out a corner to stick it on because all the others have so much more external personality (Cinema, Grand Emporium).

Tom_Cody

Sweet, I'm happy to see the clone turbo tank and AT-TE being released again. The last turbo tank must have been something rare or highly desired because the secondary market prices are crazy for it.
I just found out about this announcement. I'm definitely interested in both of these sets. There aren't really any future Force Awakens sets that I would get excited for at this point (
except for potential ending-costume-Rey, lightsaber-Rey, and Luke mini-figs
), so my personal interests have kind of pivoted back to other elements of the saga.

TheFuzz

I wouldn't count on that - if you want it, pick it up at retail now while you still can.

x2, everything I've heard echoes the same sentiment. For all intents and purposes, it's appears to be gone and not just "a shortage."

I don't know if it will approach the value that the Deadpool set but I imagine the minifigures will drive that price up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom