• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osahi

They give a way an Olaf polybag here at S@H.. Damn it, now I'm really tempted to order something to get it (they also have the Poe's X wing polybag with SW orders)

In doubt to order all the wave 3 microfighters now...

Another reason to get that Ant Man set is that it is the only way to get the character in minifig scale. The upcoming set will have a brick built giant and tiny fig versions only.

All three together will be a first for Lego and will simply be awesome to own in their own right.

TheFuzz

Another reason to get that Ant Man set is that it is the only way to get the character in minifig scale. The upcoming set will have a brick built giant and tiny fig versions only.

All three together will be a first for Lego and will simply be awesome to own in their own right.

Yep, and there's no way we are getting another Yellow Jacket, which is a FANTASTIC minifigure.

The modular bank should not have been a corner building. It would have been better served as strictly front facing IMO. Nice building, but I am struggling to figure out a corner to stick it on because all the others have so much more external personality (Cinema, Grand Emporium).

Your next challenge is to convert it to front-facing...

Yep, and there's no way we are getting another Yellow Jacket, which is a FANTASTIC minifigure.

Excellent point and that may also apply to Hank Pym. Those 3 minifigs are awesome. I think I'm gonna hunt down a few more sets as the aftermarket price on those will probably be a bit on the high side. I think the suits are generic enough too to be repurposed.

EDIT: Dang, looks like a lot of people have the same idea of Ant-man being temporarily hard to get in minifig form. Almost close to $10. To buy all 3 minifigs after market would cost more than the MSRP of a set. This will definitely make the set at retail prices more sought after by resellers. It's likely IMO that we we will get another Ant-man minifig, but it will be a few years and possibly a new print.

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemInv.asp?S=76039-1&viewItemType=M

Excellent point and that may also apply to Hank Pym. Those 3 minifigs are awesome. I think I'm gonna hunt down a few more sets as the aftermarket price on those will probably be a bit on the high side. I think the suits are generic enough too to be repurposed.

EDIT: Dang, looks like a lot of people have the same idea of Ant-man being temporarily hard to get in minifig form. Almost close to $10. To buy all 3 minifigs after market would cost more than the MSRP of a set. This will definitely make the set at retail prices more sought after by resellers. It's likely IMO that we we will get another Ant-man minifig, but it will be a few years and possibly a new print.

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemInv.asp?S=76039-1&viewItemType=M

Let the hunt for Ant Man sets in the wild commence. It's a cheap enough set to stock up on.

TheFuzz

None around here at all... It dried up here weeks before Christmas. Wife said she ordered mine off Amazon, but they're cleaned out now as well.

Ponn

Banned
So I was reading last night they actually have an open world finally available in the Vita version of Lego Avengers. I think i'm going to go ahead and preorder that version for tomorrow to get my Centurion Iron Man fig.

Let the hunt for Ant Man sets in the wild commence. It's a cheap enough set to stock up on.

Welp, the hunt is almost over before it even really started.

Checked (online and retail store availability via web site):

Toys R Us - out of stock (this is a huge sign as TRU almost always has the last of stock of any non-exclusive sets)
Amazon - out of stock (only 3rd party sellers with WAAY jacked up prices)
Walmart - out of stock
Target - in store only and only 1 store near me has it supposedly in stock
LEGO Store - will stop by during lunch to check PAB refresh and any Ant-man sets which I don't remember seeing last week.
Barnes & Noble - out of stock

Wow. I expected Ant-man to go out of stock like Guardians of the Galaxy sets. They were lingering around for quite awhile ones they were retired. Perhaps there are some last batches sitting in a retailer warehouse that will hit shelves. Other hope is online inventory system is whack and there are some sets still available in stores.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
You guys scared me enough yesterday with this Ant-Man talk that I had to go to a LEGO store and check myself. Sure enough, no Ant-Man sets. I'm so pissed that I held off on getting that one. Gonna check a few more stores today. I did however end up buying 5 other sets... only 16 more to go. Sigh.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Ive already bought the Ant Man set but all this talk has scared me and im gonna try and get a second one.

Presumably there'll be a set for the film sequel down the line though? Love that Lego are knee-deep in both the Marvel and DC themes atm.

I removed all of the leg socket extension pieces from the Kylo, Phasma and Stormtrooper figures... They look so much better that way imo. Less gaps between armor plates.

Rootbeer

Banned
I thought everyone had those $20 superhero sets on autobuy! Those with interest in the superhero theme, that is. It was a very easy buy from day 1 with those 3 great minifigures.

You CAN still find this set for at or near MSRP, even if you have to resort to a third party source. Make time to snag it!

I wonder if the huge LEGO demand that is leading to shortages is driving these early discontinuances of sets such as this one. It's the kind of set I imagine seeing for more than a full year at one point, now it barely hangs around for, what, six months?

It may be that we are just seeing some sets disappear for stints only to return when LEGO has the capacity to produce more. Like with Jurassic World

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
I thought everyone had those $20 superhero sets on autobuy! Those with interest in the superhero theme, that is. It was a very easy buy from day 1 with those 3 great minifigures.

You CAN still find this set for at or near MSRP, even if you have to resort to a third party source. Make time to snag it!

I wonder if the huge LEGO demand that is leading to shortages is driving these early discontinuances of sets such as this one. It's the kind of set I imagine seeing for more than a full year at one point, now it barely hangs around for, what, six months?
Yeah, I slacked off. I had a backlog of like 20 superhero sets (now down to 16). I just went to Toys R Us on my lunch break and they had 3 sets I needed, but I forgot that TRU adds 3-5 dollars per set. Since I have two LEGO stores within 15 minutes of my house, I always go there instead since I also get the VIP points. I haven't bought a LEGO set from another store in years just because of that. I have to check my other LEGO store and the Barnes and Noble next to see if I can find them.

It may be that we are just seeing some sets disappear for stints only to return when LEGO has the capacity to produce more. Like with Jurassic World

It's important to remember that the Christmas season is always going to be the heaviest amount of sales for Lego. If there are any sets you want that might be retiring soon, you'd better get them before Christmas.

But that being said, a 6 month shelf life for Ant Man Final Battle seems way too short. It's certainly possible it will be back on store shelves soon.

It's important to remember that the Christmas season is always going to be the heaviest amount of sales for Lego. If there are any sets you want that might be retiring soon, you'd better get them before Christmas.

But that being said, a 6 month shelf life for Ant Man Final Battle seems way too short. It's certainly possible it will be back on store shelves soon.

I'm still seeing it online, but the local shop was out (I got a Rey's Speeder for 30% off instead). If it's still available in a week, I might get one along with the Ghostbusters level pack once that's out.

Ponn

Banned

Ive been watching Amazon daily along with AWD which is a good indicator of their stock. Everything has been replenished at least once and they even got stock of previous Lego exclusive Temple Airjitsu. Their star wars sets got two restocks. Ant Man set has stayed OOS since Nov. Its also been listed as Sold Out on S@H for awhile now. Anythings possible I guess but I wouldnt put much hope into it. It is weird to have a short shel life but not unheard of. Ive been wondering if we are going to see more cases of this with Lego ramping up set outputs. I mean realistically stores have only so much shelf space. I went ahead and picked up a Bat Harbor Pursuit set because its a thought thats been bothering me.

Pick-A-Model

As Ryuuorden posted previously, it does look like these are the models based on the new parts I've seen in the bins. Employee stated they will be putting out the "instructions" next week, but were allowed to put them in the bins today.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=191139614&postcount=1038
q1_240x289.png

There are a bunch of light and dark bley pieces due to the elephant. I suspect a few of them like the 1x2 light bley brick will be hard to keep in stock. The 1x2 trans clear brick was empty most of the 4 months for last PAM.

Not a very exciting PAB refresh for PAM, but there are a lot of useful bluish grey pieces.

3N16MA

Banned
Ant-Man set was on clearance at TRU Canada and got cleared out. WM had it in stock a few days ago and it has been cleared out online. Pretty much every retailer no longer has it.

Investors picked up on the retirement and started buying in boat loads. Cheap set made even cheaper with discounts, under the radar set, short retail life (6 months), and 3 exclusive minifigs.

Calcium

Banned
After not having touched LEGO for probably a decade I bought the UCS Slave 1 set and fell in love with LEGO all over again. Since then I bought The Millenium Falcon, Rey's Speeder and the Jedi ship from SWTOR. I have ordered the entire Deep Sea Exploration and Space Exploration sets from last year. This is such a slippery slope, but I find building so damn relaxing.

After not having touched LEGO for probably a decade I bought the UCS Slave 1 set and fell in love with LEGO all over again. Since then I bought The Millenium Falcon, Rey's Speeder and the Jedi ship from SWTOR. I have ordered the entire Deep Sea Exploration and Space Exploration sets from last year. This is such a slippery slope, but I find building so damn relaxing.
Welcome, and kiss your money goodbye.

Calcium

Banned
Welcome, and kiss your money goodbye.

Yeah, no kidding. Forgot to mention that I ordered Poe's X-Wing too.

i had no idea the Defender had a lego set. sounds like something i need

Absolutely, it's a great set. Granted I'm just getting back into LEGO so I'm pretty enthusiastic about every set I build. It's a pretty interesting design and it even has a built in handle that folds out from the top of the ship which I found really neat.

Talk about setting the bar high to start out. You'll have to stay above the $100 price to keep your experiences up to the UCS level.

Actually if I think about it, if I only bought $150 sets and higher, I think I'd spend less overall on LEGO.

Talk about setting the bar high to start out. You'll have to stay above the $100 price to keep your experiences up to the UCS level.

Actually if I think about it, if I only bought $150 sets and higher, I think I'd spend less overall on LEGO.

This is my mentality. Less space = concentrating on UCS.

Ponn

Banned
Oh man, I got THIS set for the Karai fig and the neat NY street sign but I had no idea it was going to go up that much in value. Oh darn wait, mine isn't the Spicy version, nuts.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Went to the LEGO store, was able to get a Bat Boat Harbor Pursuit that they had one left of in the back room after I talked to the clerk about trying to find the Ant-Man set. Seems like that's out of print as well? Haven't seen it anywhere the past month or so.

Only need...

Black Manta Deep Sea Strike
Jokerland
Brainiac Attack (seems to be another rare one)
Kryptonite Interception
Heroes of the Justice: Sky Battle

Avengers Quinjet City Chase
Attack on Avengers Tower
Ant-Man Final Battle
Hydra Fortress Smash
SHIELD Helicarrier
Iron Skull Sub Attack
Avenjet Space Mission

3N16MA

Banned
TIE Fighter is too iconic to pass up.

Went to the LEGO store, was able to get a Bat Boat Harbor Pursuit that they had one left of in the back room after I talked to the clerk about trying to find the Ant-Man set. Seems like that's out of print as well? Haven't seen it anywhere the past month or so.

Only need...

Jokerland
Kryptonite Interception

Attack on Avengers Tower
Ant-Man Final Battle
Hydra Fortress Smash
SHIELD Helicarrier
Iron Skull Sub Attack
Avenjet Space Mission

Brainiac Attack is another small set that had a short shelf life and a few exclusive minifigs. It was also retailer exclusive in the U.S. and Canada (not sure about other parts of the world).

EDIT: If any Americans are looking for Ant-Man final battle, Disney Store online has it in stock. They did jack the price to $30 which is weird.

Ponn

Banned

Only need...

Jokerland
Kryptonite Interception

Attack on Avengers Tower
Ant-Man Final Battle
Hydra Fortress Smash
SHIELD Helicarrier
Iron Skull Sub Attack
Avenjet Space Mission

Oof, large list. Some of that is also in danger of going oop soon. Hydra Fortress Smash is a TRU exclusive and retired from S@H so that may be tough to find already. Brainiac Attack was also retired. Avengers quinjet and Avengers tower are probably close to being retired with the new ones coming out soon.

I don't have the cheap Iron Man vs. Ultron set yet. Does anyone know if that Iron Man in that set was exclusive? It would be the only thing id want from that set.

Oof, large list. Some of that is also in danger of going oop soon. Hydra Fortress Smash is a TRU exclusive and retired from S@H so that may be tough to find already. Brainiac Attack was also retired. Avengers quinjet and Avengers tower are probably close to being retired with the new ones coming out soon.

I don't have the cheap Iron Man vs. Ultron set yet. Does anyone know if that Iron Man in that set was exclusive? It would be the only thing id want from that set.

Brickset says it is exclusive to that set, which I presume is accurate.

http://brickset.com/sets/containing-minifig-sh164

3N16MA

Banned

I believe that set is the only appearance of the Mark 45 armor.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Never mind, it was covered above.

willp2003

I hadn't realised the UCS Tie was so big. It dwarfs R2. I think I'll pick that up on May 4th, as it should be slightly discounted. I really need to get some shelving/display units....

I hadn't realised the UCS Tie was so big. It dwarfs R2. I think I'll pick that up on May 4th, as it should be slightly discounted. I really need to get some shelving/display units....
Just a head's up, Lego stores never discount exclusive sets anymore. The closest thing you'll get is if the box is jacked up you can get a ton of extra VIP points. :T

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
TIE Fighter is too iconic to pass up.

Brainiac Attack is another small set that had a short shelf life and a few exclusive minifigs. It was also retailer exclusive in the U.S. and Canada (not sure about other parts of the world).

EDIT: If any Americans are looking for Ant-Man final battle, Disney Store online has it in stock. They did jack the price to $30 which is weird.

Crap. I just saw the Brainiac set last week at Target and didn't get it. I'm gonna be scouting all over for it now. I have to assume someplace has one.

I've seen the Hydra Fortress set at many places over the past two days, just haven't ponied up the money for it. I think I may just go for broke and buy every set I can this week and get caught up. I don't even know why I'm doing this, I don't even build any of them. I have a stack of unopened superhero sets (dating back to 2012) just sitting in my closet. I bought duplicates of the Batmobile/Riddler Dragster, the Batmobile/Two-Face truck, and the Deadpool/Wolverine Helicopter just to open them and display the Batmobiles and Deadpool/Logan figures. I've also purchased the Ecto-1, GB Firehouse, and UCS Tumbler, but have built them and have them on display at work and home. I'm just like really into collecting stuff for whatever reason. I also have no room to display any more sets at my place, so until I get an actual "house" house with a trophy room, I won't be building any of the other sets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom