• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

valkyre

So heard there is a simple mod for the Kylo Ren shuttle to make the wings fold more accurately. Anyone can guide me to a good source for this info?

To be honest i check around a lot of mods. And I ended up doing the most simple one there is (it also doesnt require extra parts).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30MwganqLAQ

The disadvantage of this mod is that the wings are fixed in that position and if you want to revert them back to the vertical position, you need to move a few parts. But, trust me on this, its a one minute process to change the position of the wings. It is extremely quick and easy.

The reason why I went for this mod instead of others is that the wings are sturdy as hell with this approach. Other mods allow the wings to be adjustable on the fly, but from the videos I saw the wings were flapping around and it didnt look that sturdy to me.

So there it is, I hope it suits you, if not, there are many other options on Youtube.

teeny

Amazon UK have won #1 in the customer satisfaction index and so are offering a £10 off a spend of £50 for qualifying purchases. Not Lego specific, but I am using it to buy some anyway :p

Edit: Sorry, should have mentioned, enter the promotional code BIGTHANKS at checkout.

Amazon UK have won #1 in the customer satisfaction index and so are offering a £10 off a spend of £50 for qualifying purchases. Not Lego specific, but I am using it to buy some anyway :p

Edit: Sorry, should have mentioned, enter the promotional code BIGTHANKS at checkout.

We have our second child due in just over a week so I took advantage of this last night to get a steriliser we needed (£35) plus Reys speeder (£15) for £40 plus another order of Jestros evil mobile and moltors lava smasher for £42

Wanted to get the little boy a few sets to keep him occupied and treat him on the arrival of the baby so got the 3 above plus ant man.

teeny

We have our second child due in just over a week so I took advantage of this last night to get a steriliser we needed (£35) plus Reys speeder (£15) for £40 plus another order of Jestros evil mobile and moltors lava smasher for £42

Wanted to get the little boy a few sets to keep him occupied and treat him on the arrival of the baby so got the 3 above plus ant man.

Very nice, I'm sure he will appreciate it :) Good luck for next week!

Edit: Nothing too extravagant for me. 75138: Hoth Attack, 75134: Galactic Empire Battle Pack and 75137: Carbon-Freezing Chamber.

Planning on picking up 75136: Droid Escape Pod and the 75133: Rebel Alliance Battle Pack sets next month along with the remaining 4 microfighters that have just released.

To be honest i check around a lot of mods. And I ended up doing the most simple one there is (it also doesnt require extra parts).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30MwganqLAQ

The disadvantage of this mod is that the wings are fixed in that position and if you want to revert them back to the vertical position, you need to move a few parts. But, trust me on this, its a one minute process to change the position of the wings. It is extremely quick and easy.

The reason why I went for this mod instead of others is that the wings are sturdy as hell with this approach. Other mods allow the wings to be adjustable on the fly, but from the videos I saw the wings were flapping around and it didnt look that sturdy to me.

So there it is, I hope it suits you, if not, there are many other options on Youtube.

Yea I dont think I would care if they move or not, it's going to be a display piece anyways

I went shopping and picked up a few random things.

Ant-Man: Final Duel because you scared me into it. :mad:
The Frozen reindeer set which was about 40% off for some reason.
And five CMF, including three (!) kendo guys, a faun and the knight. Guess I'm done with the kendo guys then. :D

Toxi

Banned
Halloween/Monster stuff is one of the top requested themes on Inside Ideas, if not THE most requested. Monsters and Halloween might just be a bigger deal in America than Europe, since Lego's whole idea for sets is reportedly "Will a 7-year old German kid buy/build/play with this" but the idea that nobody wants it is ridiculous. I don't think a 7 year old German kid is begging his parents to buy Big Bang Theory or a $350 Helicarrier or a $170 bank. It's easily one of the most requested things from customers in my store, second only to Harry Potter which is another fantastical magical ghosts/witches/monsters theme.
I can't imagine the non-movie superhero line does very well in Europe.

Speaking of snowfall, i just finished my little landscaping attempt (minifig scale) and i kinda ran out of pieces towards the end (mainly jumper plates in the right color and just plain blue tiles so i had to substitute, but they kinda also count as frozen ice plates as well)

Still though, it's an arctic sea landscape.

Dfd6eFd.jpg

ewL9AoB.jpg

a flower in eternal deep freeze:

gE9qz80.jpg

a fish coming up to say hello

0Aa8UTk.jpg

I also realized just HOW many more pieces you need in comparison to microscale landscaping ugh...

You do know penguins and polar bears don't live in the same place, right?
Had to say this.

Looks nice. And cold. Hurr.

LOL, i knew penguins are mainly represented on the south pole while Polar bears are found in the north, but it honestly never occurred to me to NOT include a Penguin as he seems to be a great snack for the bear in this mock up. I mean, a goat or a pig would have looked even more out of place ;P

Woorloog

Banned
LOL, i knew penguins are mainly represented on the south pole while Polar bears are found in the north, but it honestly never occurred to me to NOT include a Penguin as he seems to be a great snack for the bear in this mock up. I mean, a goat or a pig would have looked even more out of place ;P

True. But a seal or such would have been good. Does Lego have a seal minifig?

The penguin is just fine though. If for nothing else but for the fact it is wrong :D

Lego does in fact have a seal. It's a Friends seal, dunno if that matters. Looks like the penguin is a Friends penguin.

Yeah it's a Friends penguin, but i took the liberty of leaving the pink headband on the sidelines :p still looks great though. It's in fact the reason i even bought that particular Friends polybag.

Cool MOC (pun intended).
Would be a shame if a shark was put in the MOC with a penguin in it's maw. *wink*

Lego does in fact have a seal. It's a Friends seal, dunno if that matters. Looks like the penguin is a Friends penguin.

No need to identify it as a Friends penguin. We all know LEGO Systems has nearly zero animals although they are making some progress.

No need to identify it as a Friends penguin. We all know LEGO Systems has nearly zero animals although they are making some progress.

Let's see, Lego Systems has

Horses, cows, 2 kinds of pigs (small and large), 4 kinds of dogs (dalmatian, german shepherd, husky, chihuahua? or are the dalmatian and shepherd the same mould) 2 kinds of cats (pouncing and standing), a seagull, a crow, 2 kinds of monkeys (classic and hanging), bears, a skunk, an ostrich, an elephant, 2 snakes (cobra and flat), a spider, an ant, a rat, a crocodile, 2 kinds of sharks, a fish, an octopus,a bat, a scorpion, a crab, and the extremely elusive goat.

That's just off the top of my head though, did I miss anything? I don't remember if there's a Systems dolphin or if it's just the friends one. I guess they technically have a giant eagle but I kept the stuff that's licensed-theme specific out. Unless the ostriches were only available in the Prince of Persia sets?

God I want a Lego City Zoo theme. Zoo, Circus, Farm. Let's go. A zoo might work even better than a farm because you could include farm animals in it with a petting zoo set. And they could have it be modular like some of the Nexo Knights sets, where the sets all plug into each other to expand your zoo.

Hagi

Anyone have the 75052-1: Mos Eisley Cantina? a little independant toy shop in my town still has some for £64.99 and I'm seriously considering buying one on Monday when I get paid. Could do with someone pushing me off the edge lol

Not really interested in any of the newer TFA sets so it would be this until whenever the new Hoth set comes out.

Fowler

Anyone have the 75052-1: Mos Eisley Cantina? a little independant toy shop in my town still has some for £64.99 and I'm seriously considering buying one on Monday when I get paid. Could do with someone pushing me off the edge lol

Not really interested in any of the newer TFA sets so it would be this until whenever the new Hoth set comes out.

I have the Cantina. It's one of my favourite sets, not so much for the build/etc, but for what it is -- a wretched hive of scum and villainy that is a perfect home for basically any minifig. I love it.

I don't have it but if you're interested, this is likely the very last chance to get it at RRP.

Mr Mike

1 million Canadian dollars
Am I the only one disappointed by the constraction figures?

Bought Darth Vader, but found it so underwhelming. Don't really get all that effort you put into the torso - it's just a wodge of Technic pieces. The cape hangs terribly, the legs are spindly and the shoulders oddly out of proportion when so much of it is right.

On the plus side, I can sell this plus the others I bought but haven't opened to fund the Batcave!

Bought Darth Vader, but found it so underwhelming. Don't really get all that effort you put into the torso - it's just a wodge of Technic pieces. The cape hangs terribly, the legs are spindly and the shoulders oddly out of proportion when so much of it is right.

On the plus side, I can sell this plus the others I bought but haven't opened to fund the Batcave!

It won't click (pun) with everybody, but yeah some builds seem very...? I find though everything makes more sense when you build a couple of the figures from the same line. Design choices have more reason when compared next to each other.

I think the only SW constraction set I'll be getting is Kylo, while the rest of my budget is for Bionicle.

Wanderer5

Hm Lego Avengers on the 3DS is open world too. If impressions are good for that version, I might consider it to have some lego open world action on the go (and also apparently some content with Moon Knight too :eek:).

They dont work well with humans. And star wars is mostly human figures, so the star wars ones look generally awkward. That's why im more of a bionicle fan. General Grevious is fantastic though, probably the best constraction figure ever released. That's mainly because he's a robot.

wetwired

They dont work well with humans. And star wars is mostly human figures, so the star wars ones look generally awkward. That's why im more of a bionicle fan. General Grevious is fantastic though, probably the best constraction figure ever released. That's mainly because he's a robot.

Yeah I find the ones that have masked faces etc work better. I have the old Batman and Joker ones, Batman looks ok, Joker looks weird. Same can be said for the Star Wars ones, Vader, Stormtroopers, Grevious etc all look half decent. Poe, Finn, Rey all look odd.

That said, my daughter still wants Rey

Let's see, Lego Systems has

Horses, cows, 2 kinds of pigs (small and large), 4 kinds of dogs (dalmatian, german shepherd, husky, chihuahua? or are the dalmatian and shepherd the same mould) 2 kinds of cats (pouncing and standing), a seagull, a crow, 2 kinds of monkeys (classic and hanging), bears, a skunk, an ostrich, an elephant, 2 snakes (cobra and flat), a spider, an ant, a rat, a crocodile, 2 kinds of sharks, a fish, an octopus,a bat, a scorpion, a crab, and the extremely elusive goat.

That's just off the top of my head though, did I miss anything? I don't remember if there's a Systems dolphin or if it's just the friends one. I guess they technically have a giant eagle but I kept the stuff that's licensed-theme specific out. Unless the ostriches were only available in the Prince of Persia sets?

God I want a Lego City Zoo theme. Zoo, Circus, Farm. Let's go. A zoo might work even better than a farm because you could include farm animals in it with a petting zoo set. And they could have it be modular like some of the Nexo Knights sets, where the sets all plug into each other to expand your zoo.

That's nearly zero. ;)

Many of those have come out in the recent years which I great. I'm envious that the Friends line is getting so many animals that I want to come out in System versions. I'm all up for an updated elephant. There's also the camels, but I don't want the old ones, they need to be updated. Ostriches I think were only Prince of Persia.

Ponn

Banned
I'm tired but finished Ninjago Titan Mech Battle. Damn this line continues to impress me. I will try and take pics tomorrow but people should really, REALLY check this set out if you like mechs or have been impressed with the King's Mech. I'm really surprised this set hasn't gotten more attention. There are some adjustments I might do to make them look a little better or add some knee joints but damn they look fine.

I'm tired but finished Ninjago Titan Mech Battle. Damn this line continues to impress me. I will try and take pics tomorrow but people should really, REALLY check this set out if you like mechs or have been impressed with the King's Mech. I'm really surprised this set hasn't gotten more attention. There are some adjustments I might do to make them look a little better or add some knee joints but damn they look fine.

I second that. I like Zane's mech better for looks, but the 4 armed possessed samurai mech is impressive too. The only set I don't have from that Ninjago wave is CIty of Styx. Of the lower prices sets of that Ninjago wave, Sensei Wu's dragon is the best by far. I'm very happy with my Morro Dragon and TItan Mech Battle purchases.

Anyone have any experiences they can share about Legoland? I'm in San Diego and will be taking my 3 year old for the day on Sunday or Monday.

I know they are not affiliated with LEGO anymore but should I be excited about potential finds for sets/deals?

Thanks.

Maengun1

Just finally got Wall-E this week and put him together over the last 3 days.....he looks so perfect. I absolutely love having my own personal Wall-E around the house. The ability to shift the base of the arms to the front or back of him is an awesome feature I hadn't noticed before getting him (and something they probably could have left out without complaints so it's nice).

It was interesting for me putting it together....I posted recently that I mostly pick sets depicting buildings, and in particular this was the first time I've ever encountered Lego tread pieces. I really couldn't tell from pictures how those came together until I did it myself.

iosefe

i almost had a Wall-E this week

i was closing with the Assistant manager on Tuesday, and a guy who buys form us for his amazon store brings in a return of 2 Wall-Es and 4 TARDISes. we sell on of the Wall-Es and i'm looking at the second one longingly, and i tell the AM that if no one buys it tonight, i buy it tomorrow.

so i come onto shift the next day, closing again, fully expecting Wall-E to be gone by the time i clock in, but NOPE. still there. we had gotten a shipment in so both the AM and main boss were two busy to process my discount so i just decided to leave it there, i thought hard on whether i really wanted wall-e, or if it would be an impulse buy.

so it's now 3 hours or so later, and i go to take my break. immediately as i step back on the Floor i see someone with Wall-e in his hand.

as an employee, of course i must encourage that he buy Wall-e. he was iffy, on it, and i coulda swore they would walk out without anything because the kids were being annoying, but lo and behold, i had to sell the wall-e i wanted because i had cold feet and didn't put it on hold

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Are there any mods to remote control wall-e? I'm about to disassemble the 4x4 crawler and it'd be good to combine the two somehow.

neonglow

Anyone have any experiences they can share about Legoland? I'm in San Diego and will be taking my 3 year old for the day on Sunday or Monday.

I know they are not affiliated with LEGO anymore but should I be excited about potential finds for sets/deals?

Thanks.

Make sure to pick up the LEGOLAND Train set. It's a new exclusive set sold only at the parks. It's 210 pieces so probably around $25.

If you could get me one at cost, I'd be grateful.

That's nearly zero. ;)

Many of those have come out in the recent years which I great. I'm envious that the Friends line is getting so many animals that I want to come out in System versions. I'm all up for an updated elephant. There's also the camels, but I don't want the old ones, they need to be updated. Ostriches I think were only Prince of Persia.

There's also a reindeer now. :D

lego_sven.jpg

Thanks.

Despite being from San Diego, I went for the first time last year. I bought an annual Merlin pass because I knew I'd be going 3 times over the next year. If you are planning on going 3 or more times it's worth it because of the free parking and 10% discount on food and merchandise.

It will be a very slow time but if you go on Sunday, the park is open until 6 and you can get in at 9 to shop and go on a few rides. I highly recommend getting your shopping done early as they will store all of your purchases at another location by the exit for you to pick up on the way out.

As far as sets, yes they sometimes have older sets but both times I went I was able to get new items very early (CMF series 14 and 15, mixels, and polybags). I also grabbed my Wall-E there early. They will have tons of polybags (some rare like Olaf, Stormtrooper sergeant, and TC-4). The Legoland train set is great, comes with 4 minifigs, and only cost $15.99. I mentioned the Merlin pass discount above. This is the only way outside of double VIP to get a discount on big exclusives. They also have a large discount wall so you can pick up some stuff for cheap (mostly magnets).

You're 3 year old will have a blast on the rides. The Sky Cruiser had the longest line so maybe think about getting on that early. Also, be aware that the knight's joust ride is for ages 4 and up. I told a white lie to get my 3 year old on and he loved it. Be careful on the aquazone ride as my feet got soaked!

Miniland and Star Wars land are awesome. If your child naps in the stroller this is the time to do it as you can take your time and photos. Also, if they still have it, don't miss the basement set from The Lego Movie. It's so awesome to see this in person. With sharp eyes you can spot tons of cool stuff. Plus there's a ton of rare exclusives built (Taj Majal, SSD, etc.).

I hope you have an awesome time and feel free to ask any more questions.

boltz

I went 2 years ago and had a really nice time. The attractions are definitely aimed at younger kids but the park was really beautiful and there were lots of impressive models to see. The shops were equivalent to a LEGO store with a handful of slightly older sets you'd not normally see but you can't use your VIP card. Definitely try the Apple Fries.

I'm going to second the apple fries. I couldn't believe the hype until I tried them :)

Ryuuroden

Titan Mech Battle is an amazing set, I second and third that. The mechs are really cool.

ruxtpin

Banned
Anyone here had any issues after Lego were stored in cold weather? The move up to PA this weekend got delayed and we're stuck outside Virginia. Got everything in the back of a moving truck, but wondering if the low temps are going to affect the pieces.

It shouldn't...temps would not get low enough to affect the pieces. Extreme heat would be more of a risk, and only on long thin pieces.

Osahi

So, mrs Osahi and I did a quick visit to the Lego store today as we were a bit bored. Grabbed the microfighter Ghost and tye clumsy guy from the cmf 15. First pack I grabbed and I felt his crutches. Bingo! (It was him I was after, as he easily fits in the modular street. He is crashing into a little girl on a bike as we speak)

The ghost is incredible. Easily my fav microfighter to date, on par with the snowspeeder. Amazing build with so few pieces, and a great twi'lek fig too. To bad the rest of series 3 doesn't cut it for me.

And then there were all the models on display. Finally saw the Tiderium shuttle in person and I so want it now. It is to expensive for my cut back spending though. The GB HQ was impressive as hell, and was the ecto 1 not sold out at the time, i would have grabbed one.

And offcourse brick bank. It looks incredible. The mrs loved it too and said she would have seriously considered buying it there and then if it wasn't m.i.a in the store (only modular they had was pet shop). And you have to know that she wanted to wait with it because we just bought an appartment in Portugal.

Speaking of which, the bank is 20 euros cheaper there then in Belgium, so the plan is to order it @ s@h and let it deliver there. We just have to make sure it arrives when we are there. That might be tricky, as my experience is thet the delivery times on the site aren't accurate. Usually it is way faster...

Anyone here had any issues after Lego were stored in cold weather? The move up to PA this weekend got delayed and we're stuck outside Virginia. Got everything in the back of a moving truck, but wondering if the low temps are going to affect the pieces.

Are you in the Antarctic? If not, I wouldn't worry. I had a cardboard box stuffed with my old stuff for fifteen years in an uninsulated attic. If anything, condensation might be a problem if you move it straight into a warm room and then leave it sitting there, but then only possibly with stickers.

Lego is fine with snow :D

Shaana_04.jpg

ruxtpin

Banned
Are you in the Antarctic? If not, I wouldn't worry. I had a cardboard box stuffed with my old stuff for fifteen years in an uninsulated attic. If anything, condensation might be a problem if you move it straight into a warm room and then leave it sitting there, but then only possibly with stickers.

lol nah, most of the stuff is either still sealed in boxes or put in bags and then put in large storage containers. Just sitting in the back of a moving truck in 25f weather w snow falling. Maybe just paranoid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom