• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ponn

Banned
Need more pics for the weekend! Incoming photo bomb.

I got Lavaria with my Lego S@H order so might as well share pics of her

SFokpza.jpg
I wasn't sure what set she may be in the future but I liked the creepy hooded look on her, like a Darth Maularia so for $10 bucks I figured i'd get her and all the accessories including the shields and creepy spider legs.

Now onto the Kaiju match!

Lets get ready to rumble!

come at me bro!

Kiiiiyahhh! Burning Toe Fungus!

A monster approaches! Run idiot!

Okay, so I already expressed how much I liked this set. I mean, just look at those figs, and two mechs with a msrp of $60 (in US). Over 700 pieces and I even picked it up on AWD for $50. All the sets i've picked from Ninjago in this ghost theme have been such an incredible value for your money. The other thing is the plethora of freaking great and unique pieces, pieces you wouldn't even expect to see in a set like this. I tried to take some specific pics of particularly great pieces like two of the train engine fronts and you get four of those spine/spiky large pieces on the legs which would be great for making a monster or some kind of animal moc. You get alot of the ball joint pieces in that clear yellow and just a tone of great neon green and dark blue pieces like we've been getting in these Ninjago sets. They are plenty posable but if I decide to leave them together I might look at adding knee joints in to give them a little more range and cool looking poses. Box was a really fun build. The first bag was a bit boring with the figs and then the couple throw away little builds. Then you get to Zane's mech and its a cool sleek mech. Reminds me of a scrapper fighter or something. Then its like hey you're not done yet, I still have another mech! And its just a menacing evil badass looking mech that slowly comes together and gets bigger and bigger than Zane's Mech. Then you finally have Asura's Wrath standing in front of you. I've yet to be let down by this current Ninjago theme and this is another winner. With the new sets coming out don't drag your feet on this one or any of them. I have a feeling these might do well in the after market for all the unique pieces and colors. And just how kick ass the builds are.

Despite being from San Diego, I went for the first time last year. I bought an annual Merlin pass because I knew I'd be going 3 times over the next year. If you are planning on going 3 or more times it's worth it because of the free parking and 10% discount on food and merchandise.

It will be a very slow time but if you go on Sunday, the park is open until 6 and you can get in at 9 to shop and go on a few rides. I highly recommend getting your shopping done early as they will store all of your purchases at another location by the exit for you to pick up on the way out.

As far as sets, yes they sometimes have older sets but both times I went I was able to get new items very early (CMF series 14 and 15, mixels, and polybags). I also grabbed my Wall-E there early. They will have tons of polybags (some rare like Olaf, Stormtrooper sergeant, and TC-4). The Legoland train set is great, comes with 4 minifigs, and only cost $15.99. I mentioned the Merlin pass discount above. This is the only way outside of double VIP to get a discount on big exclusives. They also have a large discount wall so you can pick up some stuff for cheap (mostly magnets).

You're 3 year old will have a blast on the rides. The Sky Cruiser had the longest line so maybe think about getting on that early. Also, be aware that the knight's joust ride is for ages 4 and up. I told a white lie to get my 3 year old on and he loved it. Be careful on the aquazone ride as my feet got soaked!

Miniland and Star Wars land are awesome. If your child naps in the stroller this is the time to do it as you can take your time and photos. Also, if they still have it, don't miss the basement set from The Lego Movie. It's so awesome to see this in person. With sharp eyes you can spot tons of cool stuff. Plus there's a ton of rare exclusives built (Taj Majal, SSD, etc.).

I hope you have an awesome time and feel free to ask any more questions.

So its open later on Sunday as opposed to Monday? I was thinking of going Monday as it would be potentially slower. It is off season so the water parks are closed, unfortunately.

I will definitely try the apple fries. I'm not sure how much I will be able to buy seeing as I'll have to get it into our luggage. neonglow, it is unlikely I will be able to pick you up a train set.

My son is super into Nexo Knights, thanks to the mobile game, so I'm hoping they have some sets. I will keep an eye out for some other sets like Antman and some sets I've been hoping to grab. Being from Canada and with our tanking dollar I won't be spending as much as I probably would have with a stronger dollar.

ghostmind

London Toy Fair will be opening its doors in about 4.5 hours from now, and depending on whether they (Brickset and others) live-blog what they are shown or not, we should be getting set descriptions either shortly afterwards, or several hours later.

We won't have long to wait for photos and video though, as LEGO will be doing a presentation for the press on January 26th at the Nuremberg Toy Fair.

3N16MA

Banned
London Toy Fair will be opening its doors in about 4.5 hours from now, and depending on whether they (Brickset and others) live-blog what they are shown or not, we should be getting set descriptions either shortly afterwards, or several hours later.

We won't have long to wait for photos and video though, as LEGO will be doing a presentation for the press on January 26th at the Nuremberg Toy Fair.

Any chance we see the next SW UCS set? I know the TIE was shown at NY Toy Fair last year.

Anyone have any experiences they can share about Legoland? I'm in San Diego and will be taking my 3 year old for the day on Sunday or Monday.

I know they are not affiliated with LEGO anymore but should I be excited about potential finds for sets/deals?

Thanks.

I went there 10 years ago when I was in college (it was a weird thing where our marching band got asked to play for some kids getting sworn in as US citizens and anyone who went got a free day in the park). Seemed like an awesome place for kids, and the stores had a bunch of old sets from my childhood that I didn't think Lego still manufactured at that point.

Rootbeer

Banned
S@H has almost every lego dimensions fun pack for $7.50, price matching most major retailers on their recent Dimensions sales over the last few weeks.

Including the BRAND NEW ONES that just came out a few days ago.

ghostmind

S@H has almost every lego dimensions fun pack for $7.50, price matching most major retailers on their recent Dimensions sales over the last few weeks.

GAH! I bought all the ones I wanted when they were $10.

Now do the same ($15) with the level packs, LEGO!

Swedish S@H still doesn't have Lego Dimensions at all :(. A few retailers have them but prices are still crazy. I'm still going to look for Venkman and Doc Brown next week.

There's also a reindeer now. :D

lego_sven.jpg

I'm being nitpicky, but that's a "Friends" style animal. I like them and use them, but I'd prefer less cutesy versions.

Are you in the Antarctic? If not, I wouldn't worry. I had a cardboard box stuffed with my old stuff for fifteen years in an uninsulated attic. If anything, condensation might be a problem if you move it straight into a warm room and then leave it sitting there, but then only possibly with stickers.

Lego is fine with snow :D

Shaana_04.jpg

You've shown her before right? Wasn't she riding someone else's motorcycle MOC?
I really like how you did the hair and used a banana.

So tempted to get several more Cyberman fun packs. If LEGO never does a battle pack or small set with them that price will be a steal. I have two now. I think I'll grab 1 or 2 more.

Anyone try selling the game disk/stand part? What's the going rate for just the game stand/disk?

Swedish S@H still doesn't have Lego Dimensions at all :(. A few retailers have them but prices are still crazy. I'm still going to look for Venkman and Doc Brown next week.

With all the crazy sales on LEGO Dimensions that we are lucky to have here, none of the Ghostbuster Dimensions packs are on sale.

valkyre

Just finished the Resistance Trooper Transport SW set...

What an amazing build it was! One of the most satisfying builds I've had, compared of course to sets with similar size and parts count.

Highly recommended.

ghostmind

EGmBNk2.jpg

What in the world is this? Brickset calls it a "Christmas Ornament", but it looks to possibly be one of the Christmas 2016 promo sets... already?

Rootbeer

Banned
some interesting stuff for sure. They are starting to get really ambitious with these Spider-Man sets. Beginning to rival Batman!

Mmm that magical $20 Ghost Rider set.

teeny

Lugabeast dream came true! But damn that price.

Might not be too bad depending on the piece count. Really want to see it to judge :)

Star Wars tax though, who am I kidding!

Also, I really hope they "fix" the wings for the blue X wing, but not gonna hold my breath.

Osahi

Might not be too bad depending on the piece count. Really want to see it to judge :)

Star Wars tax though, who am I kidding!

Also, I really hope they "fix" the wings for the blue X wing, but not gonna hold my breath.

Doesn't seem like something with a high piece count... But we will see. Hope we get some sneaky pics soon.

Ponn

Banned
oh..Oh...OH GOD! I hope those super hero figs are true (spidergirl has to be spidergwen). Freaking Hobgoblin, Vulture, aunt may to go on a date with doc ock. And big fig Croc AND Captain Boomerang finally! They seenm to be hitting it out of the park with this next wave of superhero sets.

Fowler

Doesn't seem like something with a high piece count... But we will see. Hope we get some sneaky pics soon.

Since it includes Unkar Plutt, they could up the piece count by including bits of Niima Outpost, like Plutt's trading window or the town "gate".

I really want a set of Rey's home...

ghostmind

Brickset is taking their sweet time in reporting.

Remember that the London show has traditionally had only a portion of the upcoming themes/sets. The Nuremberg show lifts the curtains a little bit, and usually allows for photography/video of non-licensed sets (though this often leads to leaks of licensed sets too). The New York show is the full monte - or as much as they were planning on showing in total - there are always things held back (including retailer exclusives).

76057-Web warrior’s bridge battle
Happy to see Spider-Girl in there, but disappointed no Spidey 2099 as rumored.
Finally getting Scorpion. So want a classic Mysterio with fishbowl helmet. Want minifigs so hoping the set is good for that price point.

76058 – Ghost Rider team up
No comment on how they did the Ghost Rider flaming head? I'm guessing it is using the same fire "helmet" that Infearno uses if it's not worthy of mention. Or maybe they used a stand-in for now.

76059 Doc Ock’s tentacle trap
White Tiger. Very nice surpise. LEGO is putting in a lot of female villains and super-heroes. I wonder if Doc Ock is new print or same as the 76015 Doc Ock Truck Heist. I'd like a classic one without a white lab coat.

76054 Scarecrow’s harvest of fear
Killer Moth. I'm loving these lesser known villains and heroes LEGO has been putting out.

76055 Killer Croc’s sewer smash
Captain Boomerang. Sweet! But, ummm, why is he there without Flash?

70724 – LEGO jnrs Batman and Superman vs Lex Luthor
Great way for people to get in on the previously exclusive Lex Luthor in his battle armor.
Hopefully LEGO will continue to put previous exclusives in future sets. LEGO is very sneaky/clever putting them in Junior sets that AFOL's wouldn't usually buy.

Star Wars - So happy there doesn't appear to be anything else to suck me into the theme more.

City – Volcano Explorers
Very interesting concept. May have to get a small set or two if minifigs are cool.

Friends
Curse you Friends! I was over my Friends fascination, but the amusement park theme may suck me back in for a few sets.

Nexo Knights
Eff me. I'm screwed as this appears to be another Ninjago theme that doesn't end and continues to suck me in.

oh..Oh...OH GOD! I hope those super hero figs are true (spidergirl has to be spidergwen). Freaking Hobgoblin, Vulture, aunt may to go on a date with doc ock. And big fig Croc AND Captain Boomerang finally! They seenm to be hitting it out of the park with this next wave of superhero sets.

Yes, it appears LEGO has hit full stride now with there Super-Hero theme. I'm ecstatic, but also scared for my wallet. Super-Hero is my "main" theme, but Ninjago, Star Wars, and other themes have sucked me in. On top of that, the Modulars, LEGO Ideas, and other direct to consumer sets are killing me.

Waiting for Jack O Lantern fig.

ghostmind

Brickset's first report (Bionicle, CITY, Creator, Technic): http://brickset.com/article/18851/London-Toy-Fair-report-part-1

So now the whale is a shark in the Lighthouse set? This illustrates one of the problems I have with the reporting of the London TF - they are either being rushed through very fast, or they are so awestruck by all the new sets that they constantly miss things or incorrectly identify. Of course, some reporters are better (or worse) than others... Huw's Bionicle reporting for example.

Worried for the Volcano subtheme, with that lackluster base description.

The return of the airport subtheme sounds great however.

The park sounds awesome.

Really looking forward to seeing these Creator sets.

Brickset's first report: http://brickset.com/article/18851/London-Toy-Fair-report-part-1

So now the whale is a shark in the Lighthouse set? This illustrates one of the problems I have with the reporting of the London TF - they are either being rushed through very fast, or they are so awestruck by all the new sets that they constantly miss things or incorrectly identify. Of course, some reporters are better (or worse) than others... Huw's Bionicle reporting for example.

Worried for the Volcano subtheme, with that lackluster base description.

The return of the airport subtheme sounds great however.

The park sounds awesome.

Really looking forward to seeing these Creator sets.
That Creator Camper sounds awesome.

But another treehouse? Sigh.

ghostmind

Lol, Huw already changed the lighthouse description to having a brick-built orca, rather than a shark.

Really looking forward to seeing this set.

Yay! A very uncommon deep discount at the local supermarket got me the Farran set and the monkey Creator set for about $10 in total. Not a bad price per part.

Some of the reported sets sound potentially interesting, but I want to hear more about Nexo Knights and Elves!

ghostmind

Rough price conversion to USD retail prices:

CITY
60100 Airport Starter Set $10
60101 Cargo Plane $25
60102 VIP Service $50
60103 Airshow $100
60104 Passenger Terminal $120
60120 Volcano Starter Set $10
60121 Exploration Truck $18
60122 Volcano Crawler $40
60123 Volcano Supply Helicopter $70
60124 Volcano Research Base $120

Creator
31049 Dual-Rotor Helicopter $30
31051 Lighthouse Point $50
31052 Vacation Getaway $70
31053 Treehouse Adventures $35

Technic
42053 Volvo EW160E $100
42054 Claas Xerion 5000 Tractor $165
42055 Bucket Wheel Excavator $250
42056 "Confidential Supercar" $350+

ghostmind

Additional CITY/Creator comments from LostInTranslation on Brickset:

The Creator RV was excellent. The back section hinged open too. And there were some elements that Chris and I think were sand blue rather than bley - window frames and the combination cheese/1x2 plates. I think the awning was yellow and orange stripes rather than red. The brick built bear was very cute, with 1x1 round tile eyes. The alternative builds of a two storey house and boat looked quite good too.
One of the best in show, for sure.

The Creator Treehouse is an improvement on the previous one in my opinion. Just looked more interesting and fun in general.

I was a bit disappointed in the City volcano sets. They really didn't appeal to me at all. But apparently kids loved the adventure/danger element of Arctic so I think they're hoping to recapture that for these. But volcano doesn't have huskies or polar bears...

I remember the torsos of the air stunt team were black with a flamey design - looked quite cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom