• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boogiepop

Okay, let me ask: not saying I will get any of these, but looking at the City line, which would you guys say is the better choice between the prison island and the police station? Also, what's the best choice out of those modular buildings?

Is it at all likely that LEGO will do more Classic TV sets?

I'm a huge fan of it as a theme, but I really don't care for the $270 Batcave set. I love the vehicles, office room, and minifigs and want them REALLY bad, but the extra playset stuff just feels like it's there to pad out the cost. It feels like it could easily be 3 or more different sets: one with the batmobile with a few minifigs, one with the Batcopter and some other minifigs, and one with the office (and maybe make the firepoles section about half the height).
Was afraid of this. After the initial Giant Man hype died down I realized everything else in that set didn't look very great. I'm really surprised all the reviews have raved about it without pointing out how meh the rest of the set is.

Well Ant Man is getting another movie in a few years, so I'd imagine that'd be a perfect opportunity to have another Giant Man set, maybe one that's smaller.

Rootbeer

Banned
So technically, it's actually 3 costume CMFs then if you count the devil right?
It's not wrong, but there are various technicalities. Which are 'costumes' and which are 'suits' I guess? The devil kid is clearly a Halloween costume, the penguin is a suit figure, and the banana guy is part of the new thing started by Hot Dog Guy (food suits as opposed to animal suits? or maybe more precisely viewed as "mascots")

ninge

Took advantage of the double VIP and ordered the modular bank :) We are starting to run out of space in our little Lego city tho! Might have to move house to make room for next years modular...

Got another Mighty Micro tonight after Arlo had a good report at parents evening. He chose the Flash and Captain Cold.

I really hope they do a second series of these they've been great to add characters we don't yet have to the minifigure collection.

Two face and Cyborg next wave please!

Koren

Anyone else unable to complete their order on Lego shop? Tried two different devices and browsers and it doesn't give me anywhere to enter credit card info now?
Their website is awful. Just the very worst I've ever used.

For my last pick a brick order, I had to use there browsers on two different computers to place it. None of either three could do the whole operation.

And I've yet to succeed in using research. Or get the second page of a category.

Or stay in the right country when browsing.

i thought Creator Expert was LEGO Store exclusive
Definitively not in France at least... Several toys shops and department stores carry them, at least from time to time.

boltz

Their website is awful. Just the very worst I've ever used.

For my last pick a brick order, I had to use there browsers on two different computers to place it. None of either three could do the whole operation.

And I've yet to succeed in using research. Or get the second page of a category.

Or stay in the right country when browsing.

Definitively not in France at least... Several toys shops and department stores carry them, at least from time to time.

I emailed their support once to complain about constantly being booted to the main shop page and they just suggested I clear my browser's cache. I don't think that was the issue...

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I finished the Ninjago Raid Zeppelin last night. So great. Absolutely love it.

Build the main build of the Corner Deli tonight. Wow.. The skylight, sandwich, and decorative details are really surprising builds. Love this set. Great recommendation, Kip!

I'm so glad you enjoyed it as much as I did!

Koren

I emailed their support once to complain about constantly being booted to the main shop page and they just suggested I clear my browser's cache. I don't think that was the issue...
Definitively not, I've tried with a live-CD, thus using a perfectly "newly installed" browser, and still had a lot of issues.

I was annoyed with the fact that research often don't work, and that I can't see the pages beside the first one or increase the number of items per page (so if the item is not on the first page... well, too bad!)

I discovered that all HREF were "#" for those in the source file. No wonder that it's not working.

For pages, they use <A HREF="#" REL="2">, <A HREF="#" REL="3">, etc. I don't even how it could work, and as far as I know, REL hasn't been design for this kind of stuff at all (?)

The W3C validator shows more than one hundred errors/warning for a single page...

Can somebody go to page 2 in any theme in the shop? If so, what do you use as browser/OS?

I think the country switching may be a cache issue, but it will also switch if you click a link from someone from another country. I try not to click s&h links posted in this thread because of that.

Nitemare1

Was cleaning and dusting the Lego room tonight when this happened. I'm easily distracted.

Lunch Break!

25232585389_d5691e2d47_k.jpg

Also the biggest thing this taught me is that there is a serious lack of Black minifigs and an even bigger lack of viable hair pieces for black men!

I've run into weird issues on the store with the country switching for me, but clearing out all COOKIES for the site (not cache) fixes that. Otherwise, S@H is just fine for me and I've never had any actual issues with ordering.

I've run into weird issues on the store with the country switching for me, but clearing out all COOKIES for the site (not cache) fixes that. Otherwise, S@H is just fine for me and I've never had any actual issues with ordering.
Oh right, cookies, not cache.

I've had issues with not being able to change the quantity of items or just outright delete items. I still have things in my saved for later because they wouldn't delete and that was all I could do.

Was cleaning and dusting the Lego room tonight when this happened. I'm easily distracted.

Lunch Break!

Also the biggest thing this taught me is that there is a serious lack of Black minifigs and an even bigger lack of viable hair pieces for black men!

Don't forget Asians. The only licensed LEGO Eastern Asian minifigs I can think of are the ones from Temple of Doom theme. Not sure about Hispanics. EDIT: Oh, I forgot Miles Morales is mixed race of black and Hispanic.

What's Deadpool doing there? They have chimichangas at the deli place?

Toxi

Banned
Don't forget Asians. The only licensed LEGO Eastern Asian minifigs I can think of are the ones from Temple of Doom theme. Not sure about Hispanics. EDIT: Oh, I forgot Miles Morales is mixed race of black and Hispanic.

What's Deadpool doing there? They have chimichangas at the deli place?
Also Dr Wu from Jurassic World.

Also Dr Wu from Jurassic World.

Ah yes! Skin tone is noticeably different than the Indana Jones ones. :)

True, but there's at least one Japanese CMF per series.

Also GIS for "Asian LEGO" brings up a seriously disturbing pic...

This is why I didn't mention standard yellow minifigs.
http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/Minifigure
"According to LEGO.com, most minifigures are coloured yellow to display equalization in ethnic society."

That being said, I think it's clear on the general ethnicity of this minifig: Emperor Chang Wu (one of the first minifigs I bought via Bricklink).

Fishlake

That being said, I think it's clear on the general ethnicity of this minifig: Emperor Chang Wu (one of the first minifigs I bought via Bricklink).

Oh I have that guy. I think the temple he came with was one of if not the first large set I ever got.

I want to rebuild it now.

Boogiepop

Okay, so which of the modular buildings are particularly in danger of going out of print right now? Kind of interested in them, and I don't want to regret letting any more slip into incredibly price jacked out of print status than already have if I'm going to get into them...

neonglow

Okay, so which of the modular buildings are particularly in danger of going out of print right now? Kind of interested in them, and I don't want to regret letting any more slip into incredibly price jacked out of print status than already have if I'm going to get into them...

Pet Shop and Palace Cinema are next in line to go. PS is oldest and should have been retired long ago but it's still available for whatever reason.

Ponn

Banned
I think i'm going to sort my backlog tomorrow and maybe put some of it for sale. I'm not going to continue collecting and I know now i'm not going to be able to MOC anything I wanted to. I want to have a couple good shelf displays and be happy with that and maybe add a modular on every year. I just ordered the batcave and I need to decide if I want to return it or make it the centerpiece of a Batman display shelf. I think i'm going to sell my Avengers AOU stuff for starters and some of unopened LoTR and Hobbit sets I don't have on display already. I might post a list tomorrow for any advice on yay or nay.

neonglow

Ah, cool. Would it be reasonable to expect the other ones to stay in stock for a good while still, or no?

Yeah, LEGO usually has at least 4 Modulars out at any given time so we're due for one to retire. I'd recommend just getting both PS and PC now and wait for double VIP in October to pick up another one.

I think i'm going to sort my backlog tomorrow and maybe put some of it for sale. I'm not going to continue collecting and I know now i'm not going to be able to MOC anything I wanted to. I want to have a couple good shelf displays and be happy with that and maybe add a modular on every year. I just ordered the batcave and I need to decide if I want to return it or make it the centerpiece of a Batman display shelf. I think i'm going to sell my Avengers AOU stuff for starters and some of unopened LoTR and Hobbit sets I don't have on display already. I might post a list tomorrow for any advice on yay or nay.

Not continue collecting? Do you mean buy entire themes or series? Or do you mean you are done with LEGO except for a set or two a year? Hope you're not going cold turkey and leaving the thread, but I understand the cold reality of being realistic with the addiction...I mean hobby.

Man, seems like a lot of the long timers have hit the plastic ceiling and are overwhelmed by their collection. I'm looking at my backlog and collection and realize I have too much especially since I bought a bunch just to sell. I figured I'd sell some to subsidize my LEGO hobby.

Not continue collecting? Do you mean buy entire themes or series? Or do you mean you are done with LEGO except for a set or two a year? Hope you're not going cold turkey and leaving the thread, but I understand the cold reality of being realistic with the addiction...I mean hobby.

Man, seems like a lot of the long timers have hit the plastic ceiling and are overwhelmed by their collection. I'm looking at my backlog and collection and realize I have too much especially since I bought a bunch just to sell. I figured I'd sell some to subsidize my LEGO hobby.

The collection can get out of hand at times. I have been cutting down on my collection too but mainly because I'd like to get back to collecting older sets from childhood. Sold some years back and man do I wish I could get some of them back like the old Blacktron base, maybe complete the Forestman theme...and what not.

Ponn

Banned

It would probably be best to go cold turkey because seeing new sets and reading about them would be painful and too tempting. I meant still getting one or two a year like the new Modular and maybe a UCS or great $20 superhero sets. I'll take a picture tomorrow of my backlog, i'm sure others have bigger but its just painful for me to see these boxes sitting here and not even having the room for them even if I put them together. And its just as painful to take sets apart or box them up. I want to think of my current displays and decide on specific shelves and what sets to display and then probably just sell the rest on bricklink or something. I know i'm going to have a modular shelf, and then probably a Star Wars shelf and then a Batman shelf leaving one shelf left for probably a general or marvel shelf. Maybe still plan on getting the Bridge set to be the centerpiece for that shelf. I have a seperate place to set up my LoTR stuff but not all of it. Anyways tomorrow will be inventory day.

Eh, i have pretty much hit that ceiling as well i think...

I've been trying to sell some stuff off too but even that is NOT as easy as you'd think. I've been checking Ebay and aside from some of the obvious sellers, a lot of less well known sets in the public eye are actually HARD to sell. I mean...unless of course you sell them BELOW MSRP but then i'd be losing money even :(

ghostmind

One option is to donate some of your collection, either to a charitable organization that will re-sell them and use the profits to help those in need, or to an organization that will use the bricks to brighten the lives of sick or underprivileged children, or even for youth summer camps.

One option is to donate some of your collection, either to a charitable organization that will re-sell them and use the profits to help those in need, or to an organization that will use the bricks to brighten the lives of sick or underprivileged children, or even for youth summer camps.

Seconding this. And if at all possible, be there when the children play with them. It is a supremely fun and enriching experience to watch kids play with the bricks and see what they come up with. It is especially fun to build along with them and act out little scenes with your creations and theirs. Any time I have done building events the interaction with the kids and hearing the stories for their creations is the highlight. And the weird looks from their parents that are probably my age or younger when they realize I am probably just as childish as their kids.

I find it interesting how many old timers here are hitting saturation close to the same time.

Anyway, got Hulk and Ultron Mighty Micro. I think I'll have to backpedal a bit on my praise for them. I like the minifigs, but I actually put the minifies in the vehicles and played with them a bit. I still like them, but there are some minor issues I have with them.

So far I have built Hulk & Ultron and Spidey & Green Goblin sets.

My observations:
- I'm surprised at the one stud connections they use to hold 1x2 or large elements. Nothing so far that seems to fall off too easily on the 4 I have, but there are some slightly fragile areas.
- Some of the vehicles can't connect fully without having to raise the minifig arms pretty high. Not that big of a deal, but I like my minifig hands close to the steering wheels for better appearance.
- Spidey copter car is back heavy and falls backwards easily. I switch the bigger tires in the back to the front and removed the flick fire missiles. Made it a lot more stable, but still has a slight tendency to fall backwards.

Hah, funny how I'm aiming to get back into buying Lego at the same time others are stopping. Technically I'm practically out of space, but I have plans to move things around and make room. Slave I for instance will take the place of B-Wing, which broke a few months ago and I never felt like putting back together since every time I looked at it it broke and it just got annoying. I'll stash the pieces away for now, maybe consider selling it... Ultimately I won't mind when I really have to start putting away stuff like my Galaxy Squad sets, since I can always take them back out and rebuild them when I want. If course, this is coming from the guy who still has a bin full of his old Zoid models lying around...

Building part three of the Arocs today. I'm currently working on a sub-build of a sub-build of a sub-build of a sub-build of the main build.

Just in case you wondered how complex this was.

It's hilarious :lol

Rootbeer

Banned
*edit* some online store problems this morning... loading now though

Also, RE: people reaching their LEGO collection "ceilings" (in some cases literally, I have a stack that almost touches the ceiling in one room!), I do wonder if LEGO sales are about to start cooling off, at least with Adult fans. LEGO has been in a boom for several years now, a lot of us who left our dark ages several years ago have now amassed big collections and can't keep up the same pace forever unless you start selling or giving away tons of it.

even people like JANG who even moved into a new larger house to have room for all his LEGO has to give lots away to charity. It's a beautiful thing, but not all of us have the luxy of being able to sustain that kind of turnover.

Will be interesting to see how things go over the next few years.

Fowler

*edit* some online store problems this morning... loading now though

Also, RE: people reaching their LEGO collection "ceilings" (in some cases literally, I have a stack that almost touches the ceiling in one room!), I do wonder if LEGO sales are about to start cooling off, at least with Adult fans. LEGO has been in a boom for several years now, a lot of us who left our dark ages several years ago have now amassed big collections and can't keep up the same pace forever unless you start selling or giving away tons of it.

even people like JANG who even moved into a new larger house to have room for all his LEGO has to give lots away to charity. It's a beautiful thing, but not all of us have the luxy of being able to sustain that kind of turnover.

Will be interesting to see how things go over the next few years.

Good point.

At the same time, the beauty of LEGO is you can give it all away. Bricks are bricks; of course, there are always unique elements, but the bulk of the parts you get today are identical to what we've had for decades. I don't have children, but when I do, I can give them the buckets of bricks I already have.

And to be honest, LEGO are kinda "solving" their issue by grabbing more licenses and frankly producing better and better sets. EVERY TIME I say I'm done, I have to pull back, I can't get any more sets... they do something like the Ghostbusters HQ and it's like, welp, guess I need that.

I literally have no more space in my LEGO Man Cave, but... Rogue One... and Episode VIII... I am so doomed. So doomed.

TheFuzz

All this talk of hitting a ceiling... I can't guarantee it works for everyone, but I HIGHLY encourage people to start looking at sets from an investment perspective..

I don't mean buying multiples for reselling, but selling parts of the collection when it calls for it. For example, I bought a used Fire Brigade last year for $140 (missing a couple minifigures, instructions, etc) that I built and enjoyed. To make room for the Firehouse, I sold it for almost $100 in profit and put all of that towards the new set.

Obviously there are things we want to keep, but looking at the buying habits of many here, I can't imagine everyone has a deep emotional connection with every thing they buy. Flipping many of our purchases allows us to keep enjoying Lego without running out of space and racking up a ton of debt. Just my .02.

All this talk of hitting a ceiling... I can't guarantee it works for everyone, but I HIGHLY encourage people to start looking at sets from an investment perspective..

I don't mean buying multiples for reselling, but selling parts of the collection when it calls for it. For example, I bought a used Fire Brigade last year for $140 (missing a couple minifigures, instructions, etc) that I built and enjoyed. To make room for the Firehouse, I sold it for almost $100 in profit and put all of that towards the new set.

Obviously there are things we want to keep, but looking at the buying habits of many here, I can't imagine everyone has a deep emotional connection with every thing they buy. Flipping many of our purchases allows us to keep enjoying Lego without running out of space and racking up a ton of debt. Just my .02.

I hear you... but then selling a modular is never a problem (especially one that is out of print) Try doing that with some of the more mundane sets though and a lot of times you will struggle to break even :(

Jimbro72

I'm getting close to hitting that ceiling, as least for a lot of the non-SW sets, as those I will continue to be as complete as possible with since I have been since that line started in '99. Available space for my backlog is starting to fill up (and I probably have a bit more space than most) and so I think the first thing that I'll start being way more selective on is the City theme. It's a lot easier to do now that they are back to repeating the Police and Fire sub theme that I filled up on a few years ago. And later this years Volcano research will be an easy pass for me. If I do resort to selling off any of my unopened sets to free up some space, it will probably be from the City theme and, sadly, those are probably not ones where much, if any, profit would be made, so that certainly won't make the decision to sell them any easier if, and when, the time comes. And having 2 kids who are just about to hit that age where they can move on from Duplo and get into LEGO isn't helping, either. I have a feeling much of my City and Creator stuff will be the stuff they get to play with, though I did buy some of that with them in mind.

Obviously, the best solution is LEGO just needs to stop putting out so much damn good stuff all the time. How's a guy suppose to keep up? And this is coming from someone who does not collect any Super Hero stuff (Bat cave will be the exception), or Ninjago, or Friends, or Elves or Nexo Nights. And yet there is still a ton of stuff I want.

Rootbeer

Banned
... well there goes that dream, as quick as it came

Still do we know if it will work on S@H, and where is this info coming from. word of mouth from store employees or what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom