• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I almost forgot that i still need one Mixel from Series 6 (or was that 7 already?) Is the new series out already in stores? I am currently on the ones with the musical instruments.

On that note, i am wondering just HOW long Lego will keep doing Mixels, is that Mixel show still on then?
That's series 7. I had a hard time finding the trumpet one, but finally did.

Fellow LEGO Gaf

Need some advice is there any way to turn The arkham asylum set into a modular with just one Set??
Someone on here posted pics of them converting it, but can't remember who.

TheFuzz

Fellow LEGO Gaf

Need some advice is there any way to turn The arkham asylum set into a modular with just one Set??

Quick answer: no. It takes a ton of parts to make anything as compact as a modular. At best, the original set can provide the front of an actual building.

This is mine that I posted last year. It's only one full set but I bought a good bit of pieces off of Bricklink to finish it. The pieces were all relatively cheap and common as well. I decided to redo the entire roof line with sloped bricks instead of plates, having to get enough of those through various sellers was the hardest part.

SwLLgL2.jpg

willp2003

Just put my new display shelves together (Kallax from IKEA). Going to get some Perspex stands so I can make use of the space a bit better. UCS x-wing and TIE will stay downstairs. Excuse the crap phone pic.
You can easily leave out one of the vertical slots, so I could put the ISD below, if and when I need to.
0EF24944-A17E-49DC-8D65-46A38BF338C8_zpsg5oiwok8.jpg

ghostmind

Just put my new display shelves together (Kallax from IKEA). Going to get some Perspex stands so I can make use of the space a bit better. UCS x-wing and TIE will stay downstairs. Excuse the crap phone pic.
You can easily leave out one of the vertical slots, so I could put the ISD below, if and when I need to.

That's what I have in my LEGO room, except it is the predecessor Expedit.

Looking to change things up however, so the room is in chaos at the moment.

Just_one

This is mine that I posted last year. It's only one full set but I bought a good bit of pieces off of Bricklink to finish it. The pieces were all relatively cheap and common as well. I decided to redo the entire roof line with sloped bricks instead of plates, having to get enough of those through various sellers was the hardest part.

SwLLgL2.jpg

Thanks a lot!! Could You post some pics from The back??

Will post mine when all is done then.

Only problem so far is the cells :/ one of them is stuck on a wall, have to figure something out to correct that

TheFuzz

Thanks a lot!! Could You post some pics from The back??

Will post mine when all is done then.

Only problem so far is the cells :/ one of them is stuck on a wall, have to figure something out to correct that

I'll try and grab one, the back is just a continuation of the same design, but I put the window for Ivy's cell on the backside.

Just_one

I'll try and grab one, the back is just a continuation of the same design, but I put the window for Ivy's cell on the backside.

My problem is the 2 moving cells , one of them when i join that side of the building with the main entrance section get right in front of a side wall of the main entrance.

How did You solve that??

TheFuzz

My problem is the 2 moving cells , one of them when i join that side of the building with the main entrance section get right in front of a side wall of the main entrance.

How did You solve that??

I completely gutted the interior and only kept the exterior design close to the original. I moved the cells away from the main entrance. They still slide and function the same. But you need to remove as much as possible from the interior and then redo it after the walls are complete. I'll try and grab a pic of mine as well.

I was going to get that one too at one point... Decided against it though because for me i feel that a set needs to "breathe" and have some space around it as well. The big advantage of Expedit/Kallax though certainly is that you can fit a LOT of sets into a small space!

Also: Liking that plane trio of Fast Flyer, Sonic Boom (that IS Sonic Boom right?) and Blue Power Jet?

I still need to get Sonic Boom at some point (BrickLink i guess)

Just a heads up for all the Dutch Lego collectors in here. Kruidvat has a 15% off sale on all Lego and Duplo. Since they are usually already cheaper, there are some great deals to be had here (they do not carry a lot of big sets, more in the 5-30 euro range). Got myself the Wookie microfighter from series 3 for €6,80.

I was going to get that one too at one point... Decided against it though because for me i feel that a set needs to "breathe" and have some space around it as well. The big advantage of Expedit/Kallax though certainly is that you can fit a LOT of sets into a small space!

Also: Liking that plane trio of Fast Flyer, Sonic Boom (that IS Sonic Boom right?) and Blue Power Jet?

I just checked and the cheapest is $75 used from a US seller. If you check sold eBay listings, this can be had for much cheaper with luck and good timing.

More and more people are learning about bricklink (buyers and sellers) which seems to be pushing prices up.

Edit: Just got one for $49.15 shipped.

willp2003

Yeah that's correct. I picked up sonic boom a few years ago with a discount. Left it in my cupboard and was potentially going to be a present for my nephew/nieces, but after building blue power jet, I thought I'd build it. So glad I did, they look great together.

Boogiepop

Sunday is afol appreciation day. Lego is 15%.off for adults at Lego stores and double points stack on that.

So is this confirmed, and if so could I use this to pick up the Millennium Falcon? Would be nice to save a decent chunk on that...

Edit: Does the Corner Deli go well with the modulars or no? It kind of looks like it might...

Also, apparently ordered the Pet Shop just in time, as it now says "temporarily out of stock" and doesn't have a date like some of the others. It still needs to ship though...

Also also, is the First Order Transporter likely to stick around for at least the rest of the year? Was considering leaving that for a "maybe I'll get that when I grab the Parisian Restaurant and maybe the Detective's Office when the double VIP points roll around again in the fall", since I've already spent quite a bit on Lego recently...

Edit: Does the Corner Deli go well with the modulars or no? It kind of looks like it might...

Not really. The Creator buildings are much smaller and each floor is lower. However, if there's a compact build like the newspaper kiosk from the Toy Shop, you can get away with placing it in a square or something. But not as a full-sized building.

Stop posting Technic photos!
It's making me want to buy the set

I've just finished the fourth part of six, so maybe you should look away now ;)

This part is the crane, and was really fiddly - there was only three bags and it took over two hours. Lots and lots of tubes and stuff to fit in a very small space. The instructions were reeeeally confusing in places, which is actually kind of a theme with this build. There are a lot of times where it just leaves you to assume where pieces go on the reverse of the model and stuff.

XWBRGNn.jpg

Without power the crane wants to curl up like a dead spider so I had to kind of balance it here to get a shot of it. Ha.

azNRLF4.jpg

And so here's what the whole thing looks like right now, with a couple of modular buildings in the background so that you can get a sense of the size of it.

CeVpz22.jpg

I've still gotta add the power pack, but I have no batteries so I couldn't do that yet. Once that's in place though, I think everything that's supposed to move will move so I can finally play around and see what this thing does.

Parts five and six are decoration, almost, the actual outer shell of the thing. No more photos until it's done, promise =)

This part is the crane, and was really fiddly - there was only three bags and it took over two hours. Lots and lots of tubes and stuff to fit in a very small space. The instructions were reeeeally confusing in places, which is actually kind of a theme with this build. There are a lot of times where it just leaves you to assume where pieces go on the reverse of the model and stuff.

XWBRGNn.jpg

Without power the crane wants to curl up like a dead spider so I had to kind of balance it here to get a shot of it. Ha.

azNRLF4.jpg

And so here's what the whole thing looks like right now, with a couple of modular buildings in the background so that you can get a sense of the size of it.

CeVpz22.jpg

I've still gotta add the power pack, but I have no batteries so I couldn't do that yet. Once that's in place though, I think everything that's supposed to move will move so I can finally play around and see what this thing does.

Parts five and six are decoration, almost, the actual outer shell of the thing. No more photos until it's done, promise =)
Right now, I think you are the biggest enabler on here. You are so close to pushing a few of us onto a massive Technic set.

Where is Nicoga? He will add fuel to the Technic fire!

No, as mentioned floor heights don't match and the building has no closed back, i.e. it's basically a dollhouse design.

It does go along very well with the Bike Shop & Cafe and Toy& Grocery Shop.

So, could some of you Technic guys recommend me something? Last year I got the two combinables for the pull back motors, the previous I had gotten the snow motorcycle for the new suspension.. This year I want to get another small Technic set from the first half waves, but I can't pick one. I'm leaning towards the Go-Kart, looks pretty good with functioning engine, steering and suspensions.. but it doesn't have anything new, does it?

Boogiepop

Not really. The Creator buildings are much smaller and each floor is lower. However, if there's a compact build like the newspaper kiosk from the Toy Shop, you can get away with placing it in a square or something. But not as a full-sized building.

No, as mentioned floor heights don't match and the building has no closed back, i.e. it's basically a dollhouse design.

It does go along very well with the Bike Shop & Cafe and Toy& Grocery Shop.

Got it, thanks! A bit of a shame, but it's definitely better to know that now rather than buying it and ending up disappointed!

Got it, thanks! A bit of a shame, but it's definitely better to know that now rather than buying it and ending up disappointed!

If you buy it knowing what it is (it IS a smallish set) you would probably not be disappointed. I really enjoy collecting Creator buildings, they are at a much more compatible scale with the City vehicles and buildings. I mean, modulars are great and pack incredible detail, but they cost quite a bit, and I can't afford to 'collect' such expensive sets.. Buying the better Creator buildings every now and then satiates that urge in me. The Corner Deli and Bike Shop & Cafe were exceptional sets in my opinion. I also dearly love the Changing Seasons and Mountain Cabin (although it's B Model is actually what I love about this..) and I'm really looking forward to the Creator Lighthouse coming later this year.

marq_roq

Neo Member
Picked up the GB HQ today as an early bday present for myself! So excited to start building this thing!

Also wanted to grab the Sandcrawler but it was out of stock at Christiana Mall in DE. Do the stores get stock about the same time as the website as a general rule of thumb?

Competition

We haven't had a competition here in a long time. How about we compete in the Brickset Mighty Micros building competition?

Not many parts are needed, but a superhero, supervillain, or related minifig is needed. LEGOGAF represent!

For motivation here are the prizes:

1st place - 76052 Batman Classic TV Series - Batcave
2nd place - 76047 Black Panther Pursuit
3rd place - A set of Series 15 Collectable Minifigures

Pet shop temporarily out of stock in the US and out of stock at Walmart, Target, Amazon, and TRU. Did Lego take it behind the barn??

Unicorn

Getting back into this for the first time since childhood. What's the best way to get a lot pieces to start creating new stuff? I like the future stuff from the late 90s because I liked making hover vehicles. Digging the creator set as my SO and I are able to build together and potentially get a small town going in the future. Saw the Lego Classic box supplements come with a ton of pieces, but I'm not sure which set is best. Or, if there are better options.

Getting back into this for the first time since childhood. What's the best way to get a lot pieces to start creating new stuff? I like the future stuff from the late 90s because I liked making hover vehicles. Digging the creator set as my SO and I are able to build together and potentially get a small town going in the future. Saw the Lego Classic box supplements come with a ton of pieces, but I'm not sure which set is best. Or, if there are better options.

No single set is enough to build anything really original, and there's the problem that most sets have different colour schemes so you don't get lots of pieces in a single colour. Some potential solutions:

1) Dream small, and buy Creator buildings. They still provide great parts for any kind of building, but you can only build something roughly similar to the originals.

2) Buy a modular (really, it's only as much as three-four of the small Creator buildings), build it and then tear it down for the pieces. Only sets which actually are enclosed (which mostly means just modulars) provide enough basic parts in a single colour.

3) Build digitally in Lego Digital Designer with as many parts as you want, then make a list of what you need and buy separate parts off Bricklink or Lego's online Pick a Brick service.

4) Look around and buy sets on sale that have the type of parts you want (like Star Wars ships if you want to build space stuff) and then build whatever you can with the parts you have. Limitation can also be creative.

I don't really like the classic boxes. They're great for kids, but you end up making rainbow builds all over. There's like five brown parts, five pink parts, five green parts, ten red parts etc. Only time I bought one (early when starting up with Lego again), I picked out the parts I needed and gave the rest to a friend with kids.

wetwired

Competition

We haven't had a competition here in a long time. How about we compete in the Brickset Mighty Micros building competition?

Not many parts are needed, but a superhero, supervillain, or related minifig is needed. LEGOGAF represent!

For motivation here are the prizes:

1st place - 76052 Batman Classic TV Series - Batcave
2nd place - 76047 Black Panther Pursuit
3rd place - A set of Series 15 Collectable Minifigures

Damn, I'd be all over this if I had t but e time. A nice small comp for a change

Tom_Cody

XWBRGNn.jpg

azNRLF4.jpg

CeVpz22.jpg

These images are heavenly.

Ryuuroden

So is this confirmed, and if so could I use this to pick up the Millennium Falcon? Would be nice to save a decent chunk on that...

Also, apparently ordered the Pet Shop just in time, as it now says "temporarily out of stock" and doesn't have a date like some of the others. It still needs to ship though...

Also also, is the First Order Transporter likely to stick around for at least the rest of the year? Was considering leaving that for a "maybe I'll get that when I grab the Parisian Restaurant and maybe the Detective's Office when the double VIP points roll around again in the fall", since I've already spent quite a bit on Lego recently...

It's for LUG members only apparently. I'm just glad I finally got an RLUG sticker from my LUG finally like 2 months ago.

Ponn

Banned
I haven't seen any postings about him but heres Cosmic Boy

He has two face expressions but they are oddily almost the same. His other one is a simple short line mouth compare to the slightly open mouth. The print is nice and his printed accessories are also nice. Just hope they make a Saturn girl at least now.

Also got two CMF 15 packs from Amazon, one was a third shark guy for me and the winged warrior. Love the winged warrior fig.

Boogiepop

It's for LUG members only apparently. I'm just glad I finally got an RLUG sticker from my LUG finally like 2 months ago.

Darn, that's a shame. Oh well, guess I'll grab the Millennium Falcon off the site with my points once those go live, and then call it quits until the next time the double VIP points roll around.

They retire sets quickly if you consider the entire history of time, they're only around for a flicker, but two years is more than long enough for someone already in the hobby to pick a set up. If you haven't bought it in two years, you can't really have wanted it, surely?

It sucks for people new to the hobby, but doesn't explain burn-out. The number of releases could do though, if you're invested in a lot of themes at once.

I agree. I understand planning a big purchase for months out, but if the set has been out two years, you've had your chance to get it.

I don't think Tumbler was around for two years. I know the fist year that it came out it was never available at my local LEGO store. I don't buy big set from LEGO S@H because of sale tax (Oregon). The set was never restock until probably around April or May of 2015 by then there were other set out and even then the stock was pretty irregular at my store. I hold off on it the only time I saw it in store was because my wife was going to get it for me for Christmas but by then it was gone. (I probably in hide sight should have bought it and returned if she had got me one. I don't think barely just over a year especially for something that was so sporadically stock could be consider around for long.

I have only been back for 3 years and I would said even in the short time, the set get retired so much faster. I think for me it's a combination of both rapid fire release of set and the lackluster of the recent Star Wars set that sort of burn me out. But you are right if it's a set I really want I probably should have gotten it so may be deep down I didn't want it that badly compare to Slave-1 or UCS Tie. As for set being retired, for me it just burn me out because you ended up having to get the set or risk it go OOP which then cause the big backlog of set that never get build. I pretty much have cut down on all the small set and in a way I am glad that the current Star Wars set are mostly a dud for me. I will stick to picking up big set and UCS Star Wars and rotate them to be display.

Yeah, you aren't kidding. I'm going to pick "something" up over the next couple of days and this thing looks like a beast.

I already ordered Brick Bank and Ghostbusters Firehouse. I am seriously thinking of the Arocs before double VIP is over. That set is REALLY calling to me now.

I demand further enabling! I want someone to finally break me and several others about technic sets after all these years.

Built the new Batmobile today and while I'm assembling Batman I notice his head is NOWHERE in the bag or on my table. I check, double check, triple check, no head. Not looking forward to trying to get a licensed minifig part from Missing Pieces, I continue on with the build and there it was.

Somehow during its travels the black Batman head had perfectly plugged itself in to one of the black half-spheres used to build the Kryptonite containers. Had to use one of the Technic pins to pop it out of there.

I wonder how many times I've had that happen, a piece loses itself inside another one only to come out of hiding right as I'm about to order a replacement.

Batmobile is awesome though!! I think this is my favorite Batmobile design to be honest. The only other Batmobile I have is the one in the Riddler Chase and this new one totally blows it away. I wish there was a way to put the wheels on those Technic parts with springs on them, like shocks? I'd MOC the heck out of it to give it shocks if they'd fit.

Next up is the new Batplane (Batjet?), which might also be my favorite design so far. Looks incredibly swooshable.

R-User!

I already ordered Brick Bank and Ghostbusters Firehouse. I am seriously thinking of the Arocs before double VIP is over. That set is REALLY calling to me now.

I demand further enabling! I want someone to finally break me and several others about technic sets after all these years.

Three words; One low price:

Heavy Lift Helicopter

Do it.

wetwired

Well it doesn't look like I'll be able to make it to a lego store while in San Francisco, it's nearly 2 hours away from where I'm staying by public transport or 30 mins by uber but nearly $60 each way. I can't really justify the time out of my schedule for public transport and can't justify spending that much money when all I was really gonna buy was Pick a brick cups :(

Rootbeer

Banned
As someone in SF, now you understand my pain! Going to the LEGO store has to be for special occasions. I rely heavily on S@H instead.

But if you were to go to the one in Dublin, CA, you can take BART all the way there. About 1hr each way and costs about ~$6 each way. I haven't been to the other one in the area. The Dublin one is located inside a pretty nice mall so you'd have some other American shopping opportunities there as well. There is also a TRU nearby, all within walking distance of the BART station.

wetwired

As someone in SF, now you understand my pain! Going to the LEGO store has to be for special occasions. I rely heavily on S@H instead.

But if you were to go to the one in Dublin, CA, you can take BART all the way there. About 1hr each way and costs about ~$6 each way. I haven't been to the other one in the area. The Dublin one is located inside a pretty nice mall so you'd have some other American shopping opportunities there as well. There is also a TRU nearby, all within walking distance of the BART station.

Seems about the same time to get there from where I'm staying on Van Ness Ave but it's only one train rather than a train and then transfer to bus. Still might be too far out of my way though :(

Rootbeer

Banned
Bricks and Pieces is so frustrating... everything I want is either not listed or sold out.

anyway, here is my Double VIP order. I still need Brick Bank but I'm putting it off till some other time.

30422 Kai's Mini Dragon
75135 Obi-Wan’s Jedi Interceptor
75827 Firehouse Headquarters
76064 Mighty Micros: Spider-Man vs. Green Goblin
76061 Mighty Micros: Batman vs. Catwoman
75871 Ford Mustang GT
70602 Jay’s Elemental Dragon

These VIP points will put me over the hill to where I can get a free 2016 UCS set (not yet decided, Assault on Hoth is the frontrunner) in the coming months.

I struggled with rather I should get the Firehouse or the 66 batcave, but since I don't have the retired modular Firehouse it really makes the most sense for my collection. Haven't decided if I will get the Batcave at a later date or not. I admire the series, but it's still one of my least favorite interpretations.

Jimbro72

Three words; One low price:

Heavy Lift Helicopter

Do it.

Along with the Arocs, this Helicopter is the other technic set on my to-buy list. I think I might grab it when I place my double VIP order next week. Hopefully all the stuff I want to get is still in stock by then (which it appears that the helicopter is currently not in stock). I'm probably going to order all 7 of the new Speed Champions set and one of the technic sets I want.

Haven't ordered directly from Lego for a few years, how long does to usually take for Lego to dispatch? Ordered the GB Friehouse on Tuesday and it's still in the warehouse.

Rootbeer

Banned
Haven't ordered directly from Lego for a few years, how long does to usually take for Lego to dispatch? Ordered the GB Friehouse on Tuesday and it's still in the warehouse.

More than a full business day usually. It's been around two for me. if I had to guess it should ship out today for you. But they have been under heavy load due to Double VIP, plus yesterday the site said they were having processing issues (on the page just before you finalize your order.) So... it could be delaying things

Jimbro72

I've had mixed results for ship out times. Sometimes they ship within a couple business days, other times it has taken up to a week before they finally ship it out. My guess is, they are a little slower during periods of heavy ordering, like the holidays or double VIP. So if it's only been a couple of days, that isn't really out of the ordinary based on my experiences.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom