• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryuuroden

Still, that's basically 25% off for all other sets.

From a store manager and also from the convention organizer for brickworld Indy is where I heard this.

It's also in store only afaik

TheFuzz

I hear you... but then selling a modular is never a problem (especially one that is out of print) Try doing that with some of the more mundane sets though and a lot of times you will struggle to break even :(

Right, but if you're paying MSRP for a non-exclusive, you're doing it wrong ;)

The trick is to buy those sets at reduced prices since they almost always dip at one point, it's about patience.

Ryuuroden

Right, but if you're paying MSRP for a non-exclusive, you're doing it wrong ;)

The trick is to buy those sets at reduced prices since they almost always dip at one point, it's about patience.

Certain sets won't ever dip to 25%. Speed champions for instance have never been on sale anywhere.

Edit: nm you're referring to something else.

Was about to order the GB Firehouse and have £15 in VIP points. Where can you apply them in the process? It does say in the basket:

We are currently experiencing technical difficulties due to system maintenance and your order may take up to 24 hours to process.

But doesn't say anything about putting the points in.

There's a small box on the right hand side of the checkout page

Ah yeah, that'll explain it!

Oops! We are experiencing technical difficulties and are currently unable to enable payment using VIP Points. If you would like to place your order using VIP Points, please call our friendly consumer service experts on the number shown at the bottom of this page.

Cheers, hopefully they get it back up soon.

I think part of the reason for burn out and saturation is the fact that LEGO is releasing so many more sets plus retiring them at faster pace than ever before. I came to this realization last year and when LEGO retire set like the Tumbler before I could even get it I am pretty much done with trying to collect LEGO as hobby. I still buy set here and there but like most here in just three years I have more set than I could find time to build let alone space to display them for the near future.

I think part of the reason for burn out and saturation is the fact that LEGO is releasing so many more sets plus retiring them at faster pace than ever before. I came to this realization last year and when LEGO retire set like the Tumbler before I could even get it I am pretty much done with trying to collect LEGO as hobby. I still buy set here and there but like most here in just three years I have more set than I could find time to build let alone space to display them for the near future.

They retire sets quickly if you consider the entire history of time, they're only around for a flicker, but two years is more than long enough for someone already in the hobby to pick a set up. If you haven't bought it in two years, you can't really have wanted it, surely?

It sucks for people new to the hobby, but doesn't explain burn-out. The number of releases could do though, if you're invested in a lot of themes at once.

They retire sets quickly if you consider the entire history of time, they're only around for a flicker, but two years is more than long enough for someone already in the hobby to pick a set up. If you haven't bought it in two years, you can't really have wanted it, surely?

It sucks for people new to the hobby, but doesn't explain burn-out. The number of releases could do though, if you're invested in a lot of themes at once.

As stated before, if I REALLY want something, I buy it day one. If I haven't gotten it in two years, then I didn't want it.

TheFuzz

As stated before, if I REALLY want something, I buy it day one. If I haven't gotten it in two years, then I didn't want it.

I agree. I understand planning a big purchase for months out, but if the set has been out two years, you've had your chance to get it.

Boogiepop

Okay, three-pronged question regarding free shipping on the Lego site: if I want to use it, how do I do so? On check-out it says I've qualified for free shipping, but I don't see that as a shipping option. Also, how do the VIP points interact with that? If I use the VIP points to on an order that would otherwise meet free shipping but the points mean I have to actually pay less than that, would that be a problem? And lastly, is free shipping usually available, or is it a special promotion thing that happens to be up right now?

Edit: Also, the free little dragon thing isn't in my shopping cart, either.

Ponn

Banned
Okay, three-pronged question regarding free shipping on the Lego site: if I want to use it, how do I do so? On check-out it says I've qualified for free shipping, but I don't see that as a shipping option. Also, how do the VIP points interact with that? If I use the VIP points to on an order that would otherwise meet free shipping but the points mean I have to actually pay less than that, would that be a problem? And lastly, is free shipping usually available, or is it a special promotion thing that happens to be up right now?

Edit: Also, the free little dragon thing isn't in my shopping cart, either.

VIP points don't effect free shipping. Most everything you are talking about should be seen right on the cart/bag screen before hitting checkout. You can apply your VIP points on the right side and then when the screen refreshes it will show your current total after. It should automatically select free shipping for you, just make sure its at $0 in the summary. Just hit $75 worth of stuff.

The free Kai dragon should automatically be added to your cart once you hit the necessary total or requirement (i think its just $35 of anything this time). Freebies do tend to sell out though so if its not adding it unfortunately may have sold out.

Boogiepop

VIP points don't effect free shipping. Most everything you are talking about should be seen right on the cart/bag screen before hitting checkout. You can apply your VIP points on the right side and then when the screen refreshes it will show your current total after. It should automatically select free shipping for you, just make sure its at $0 in the summary. Just hit $75 worth of stuff.

The free Kai dragon should automatically be added to your cart once you hit the necessary total or requirement (i think its just $35 of anything this time). Freebies do tend to sell out though so if its not adding it unfortunately may have sold out.
Huh. I guess the site must be busted or something, as it says at the top on the bag screen "congratulations! you've qualified for free shipping!" but then there isn't any free shipping in my options. And it looks like using VIP points is down in general right now...

That's a shame.

Fowler

This is a really good system that I wish I could use. No online LEGO shop here. The only place that releases LEGO vaguely on schedule is Toys R Us, and they are overpriced (surprise!)

The uneven release schedule here means you spend a lot of time hunting for sets, even if you don't necessarily want them, just to see what's around. Which in a funny way only increases the desire to get them and... the cycle continues.

And it is better to wait and use VIP points when it isn't double VIP time. The amount of VIP points you earn is based on what you spend after redeeming points, so if you redeem points now, you earn less double points than you would if you paid for everything up front.

I usually look at double VIP as bulking up points, then redeeming them on a normal month.

Ponn

Banned
Huh. I guess the site must be busted or something, as it says at the top on the bag screen "congratulations! you've qualified for free shipping!" but then there isn't any free shipping in my options. And it looks like using VIP points is down in general right now...

That's a shame.

I know their site can have problems, I just tried it out and its all working for me, applying vip points, free shipping and the Kai's Dragon is loading. Try clearing cookies on your browser or try another browser.

I guess there are still nuances to this though: I mean, i often find myself waiting for 2 years or longer even on a set because i kinda DO want it, just not at FULL price. So i wait for sale desperately which sometimes NEVER comes :(

Then one of two things happen:

- I give up on the set and usually always regret it later down the line or

- I give in and buy it at full MSRP before it's gone forever

It's normally pretty obvious what sets are going to be discounted and which aren't, I find, and I've only been buying LEGO for six months haha. Anything big isn't being discounted at LEGO, for sure, bar their amazing "5% off" Black Friday sales and that's hardly worth waiting for.

Half way through the Arocs now, bags-wise. This thing is a beast.

Part one was the cab and front axles and the "engine." Took about three hours.

bggZDNZ.jpg

Part two took maybe 90 minutes, was the gearbox and outriggers, or whatever those stabiliser things are called. Stabilisers.

lT3Slit.jpg

sTjqqMJ.jpg

And here it is connected to the cab.

znYVzer.jpg

Part three was the trailer and lifting bed, or at least the workings of it. And some other bits at the end. Took maybe two and a half to three hours. This is the underside.

oF4zbdU.jpg

And this is the... overside.

aMXcYzA.jpg

YN8qGMx.jpg

At the end of part three you whack some wheels and stuff on, so it starts to look like a real thing and not just a skeleton.

0Ev0XY7.jpg

Lqf5eVX.jpg

Part four is a scary looking one. It's the lifting arm/crane, and it's basically 90% tubes and pneumatics and stuff, so looking forward to that! So yeah, it's going okay, still not sure if it's all going to work at the end but all the switches and gears and stuff seem okay at the moment. The steering works and when it goes forwards the pistons move as they should so at least the basics are in place!

If you haven't built a Technic set in a while, this thing would totally blow your mind. Technic has really moved on in the last 20 years. Like I mentioned earlier, I was working on a sub-build of a sub-build of a sub-build of a sub-build of the main build and it was like "what the hell is even going on here."

Jimbro72

I agree, the design and engineering behind some of these large technic sets is pretty incredible. No way could I ever create something like this on my own, which is why I always enjoy building the occasional large technic set, just for something completely different from a regular system LEGO set. This Aroc set is on my want list so it's good to hear that it's a great build.

But you do definitely need to be mindful of where everything goes, especially when dealing with tubes and the wires if it has power functions. I about freaked when I finished my Volvo l350f wheel loader last month and after driving it forward and backward a couple of times, it ceased to move forward and made a loud clicking noise when going in reverse. After spending 15-20 minutes of looking it over, I finally found the cause of it. Turns out one of the wires running from one of the sensors to the battery pack was shifted in a way that it was interfering with the LEGO built engine. So going forward, it completely stopped the fan from rotating, ceasing the wheels to move as a result. Going in reverse, it would rub against it, making that clicking noise. Luckily I was able to move the wire enough to fix it but I was not looking forward to having to take the thing apart to fix such an issue.

Moral of the story, when building one of these bigger technic sets, you definitely need to be paying attention to what you're doing through the entire build.

That's a shame.

As Ponn says, try clearing your history, that worked for me earlier.

I went for the GB Firehouse. Used points and Quidco to get the price down but was still an expensive afternoon. Asked the Mrs if she'll get Slave 1 for my birthday with the VIP points. That'll be my lot for a long time. Unless something interesting releases with Rouge 1.

ghostmind

If you haven't built a Technic set in a while, this thing would totally blow your mind. Technic has really moved on in the last 20 years. Like I mentioned earlier, I was working on a sub-build of a sub-build of a sub-build of a sub-build of the main build and it was like "what the hell is even going on here."

Sariel calls it "the largest, most complex, most challenging Technic set to date".

If the Technic god says this, then you are in for a wild ride.

Apparently the set comes with 4.8 metres of pneumatic tubing (thankfully pre-cut). Crazy!

I haven't built a modern Technic set but I had a pretty big set for a while prebuilt and it was quite amazing to see. Also took AGES to take it apart.

Rootbeer

Banned
LEGO emails you before VIP points expire, right?

I've been saving for a long time. Want to cash them in on the next SW UCS or large D2C set (just my luck there are supposedly two of them this year... yeesh)

Right, so I built the Secret Market Place. Yet another Elves set. I wasn't sure about this one, I basically needed something to pad out my order and I did want one of the three brick-built dragons. The fire dragon is nice but I don't want another Azari or whatshername, so I eventually went with this. While I could save more if I wait for a sale, it's also nice have the bigger set taken care of. The fire dragon and possibly the water dragon sets can be impulse buys later on.

The earth/nature dragon is the first build, and it's great. The My Little Ponyish look might throw some people off, but it has a nice sense of personality to it and I like the transparent green bits. Makes it sort of emeraldy. The new Farran looks kind of dopey though.

The buildings are basically twice what the inn offered. Lots of tiny little details, a really nice reading chair, one of the Nexo books but entirely in gold, and lots of new parts. The dragon has new inverted curved slopes (looks like the cool technique on Wu's dragon won't be needed anymore), there's the new printed cut wood tiles, new curved "tusks", and all kinds of crazy colours. I also like the fact that this set comes with a sword and shield. Elves really needs some action, and it's definitely made for Aira. The new Aira has a nice dress but her face looks a bit silly. Somehow all three returning elves so far have had worse faces. Oh, and there's the firefox I already had from another set, plus a new aqua owl (Owliver, lol).

Overall, I'm happy with it, and while it will probably ultimately become parts, it's staying for now. It's overpriced and most of the parts are small, but it does pack a lot of detail into a relatively small space. I also sort of want to rebuild the bakery. I did buy a spare of those, so I might. If I find more display space somewhere...

Boogiepop

I know their site can have problems, I just tried it out and its all working for me, applying vip points, free shipping and the Kai's Dragon is loading. Try clearing cookies on your browser or try another browser.

As Ponn says, try clearing your history, that worked for me earlier.

I went for the GB Firehouse. Used points and Quidco to get the price down but was still an expensive afternoon. Asked the Mrs if she'll get Slave 1 for my birthday with the VIP points. That'll be my lot for a long time. Unless something interesting releases with Rouge 1.

Thanks guys, just using my phone instead of my computer managed it, so I now have an order placed for the Pet Shop and Palace Cinema modulars.

How long does it usually take for the VIP points to get added to the account? I'm fairly certain I'm going to say screw it and at least grab the Millenium Falcon to more or less finish off the big Force Awakens stuff that has reawakened my long dormant love of Lego, though I'm still back and forth on whether I want to get the First Order Transporter too for what I'd consider completion. Was thinking I'd spend the bulk of the VIP points on whichever I order last of those, and then hold off till the next time double VIP rolls around to grab another modular or two...

I'm also kind of tempted to grab the current police and fire stations to "go with" the modulars. God, this is the start of something horrible for my wallet and free space, especially considering all the hobbies I already had...

Thanks guys, just using my phone instead of my computer managed it, so I now have an order placed for the Pet Shop and Palace Cinema modulars.

How long does it usually take for the VIP points to get added to the account? I'm fairly certain I'm going to say screw it and at least grab the Millenium Falcon to more or less finish off the big Force Awakens stuff that has reawakened my long dormant love of Lego, though I'm still back and forth on whether I want to get the First Order Transporter too for what I'd consider completion. Was thinking I'd spend the bulk of the VIP points on whichever I order last of those, and then hold off till the next time double VIP rolls around to grab another modular or two...

I'm also kind of tempted to grab the current police and fire stations to "go with" the modulars. God, this is the start of something horrible for my wallet and free space, especially considering all the hobbies I already had...

Points usually post as soon as your order ships/gets charged.

Right...so tomorrow i'm headin to the store for double VIP and...thinking of grabbing the Falcon, but then i should get that thought right out of my head again since there were those rumors about a new UCS model right? Or has that been debunked? I need to know because if it's NOT coming then i WILL grab this one tomorrow (i've already missed out on the previous model grrr)

wetwired

Right...so tomorrow i'm headin to the store for double VIP and...thinking of grabbing the Falcon, but then i should get that thought right out of my head again since there were those rumors about a new UCS model right? Or has that been debunked? I need to know because if it's NOT coming then i WILL grab this one tomorrow (i've already missed out on the previous model grrr)

I don't think there's any confirmation one way or the other. I'd just grab it while you can instead of waiting on what-ifs

Ponn

Banned

I would get it but leave it sealed for awhile. The good thing about Star Wars sets is all of them pretty much shoot up in price once they go OOP so if a UCS falcon does get revealed you could sell yours for a profit and put it towards the UCS version.

Ryuuroden

I'm going to get
-resistance troop transporter
-battle on takodana
-Sith infiltrator
-first order transporter
-poes x wing fighter
-rey's speeder
-all but 2 of the most expensive speed champion sets so 12 of those sets
-some PAB stuff maybe

I would consider removing all the star wars sets but at the same time even if they see discounts, it probably won't be more than the 15% off and then 10% points on top of that, that I will get Sunday

It's normally pretty obvious what sets are going to be discounted and which aren't, I find, and I've only been buying LEGO for six months haha. Anything big isn't being discounted at LEGO, for sure, bar their amazing "5% off" Black Friday sales and that's hardly worth waiting for.

Part four is a scary looking one. It's the lifting arm/crane, and it's basically 90% tubes and pneumatics and stuff, so looking forward to that! So yeah, it's going okay, still not sure if it's all going to work at the end but all the switches and gears and stuff seem okay at the moment. The steering works and when it goes forwards the pistons move as they should so at least the basics are in place!

Stop posting Technic photos!
It's making me want to buy the set

I'm going to get
-resistance troop transporter
-battle on takodana
-Sith infiltrator
-first order transporter
-poes x wing fighter
-rey's speeder
-all but 2 of the most expensive speed champion sets so 12 of those sets
-some PAB stuff maybe

I would consider removing all the star wars sets but at the same time even if they see discounts, it probably won't be more than the 15% off and then 10% points on top of that, that I will get Sunday

Resistance Troop Transporter is fantastic. Who the hell knew it would be so awesome based on the initial pics?

Only one of my orders shipped so far, the Brick Bank one. Strangely, it is the one I did 30 minutes after the Ghostbusters Firehouse order, and that hasn't shipped yet.

Stop posting Technic photos!
It's making me want to buy the set
Ditto. And looking at the Brickset review didn't help me any either. I keep telling myself that if I go for one Technic set, it will be the excavator. But seeing all the pics and the Brickset review for the Arcos makes me want it bad. The power functions and pneumatic system makes me really want it ASAP though.

Only problem is, we don't always have two years. (Ant-man, anybody?)

Ponn

Banned
Only problem is, we don't always have two years. (Ant-man, anybody?)

I feel the biggest middle finger to Lego fans on that one was it retiring right around the same time the first pics of Lego Giant Man leaked meaning with the excitement came the realization they wouldn't be able to have all three versions of Ant-Man next to each other.
I got my Ant-Man set two months prior though so i'm good

mojiimbo

Sunday is afol appreciation day. Lego is 15%.off for adults at Lego stores and double points stack on that.
Exclusives and "hard-to-find" items are excluded from discounts so wouldn't you be better off at Target or Amazon? Also, I might be wrong, but don't AFOL days usually require a LUG affiliation?

I am trying to find out information about starting a LUG, but it is difficult to find good information. Most links to forums just have people linking to already existing LUGs for their state without any real info about beginning one.

Looking at my area, it seems that the Nashville LUG hasn't had an update to their site in about 12 years. And then there is Ohio/Indiana/Kentucky LUG, but that is the upper part of the state. It appears that there is not southern KY or northern TN LUG that I can find at all.

So, how does one go about trying to do something like this?

I am trying to find out information about starting a LUG, but it is difficult to find good information. Most links to forums just have people linking to already existing LUGs for their state without any real info about beginning one.

Looking at my area, it seems that the Nashville LUG hasn't had an update to their site in about 12 years. And then there is Ohio/Indiana/Kentucky LUG, but that is the upper part of the state. It appears that there is not southern KY or northern TN LUG that I can find at all.

So, how does one go about trying to do something like this?

I don't know how to help but that does remind me I should try joining the local one here since I'm no longer working terrible shifts.

I almost forgot that i still need one Mixel from Series 6 (or was that 7 already?) Is the new series out already in stores? I am currently on the ones with the musical instruments.

On that note, i am wondering just HOW long Lego will keep doing Mixels, is that Mixel show still on then?

ninge

Just got my shipping confirmation from the lego store in the UK and they appear to have added £20 VAT on my order! Anyone else ordered something this week and seeing that?

Price on the site is £119 for the modular bank, price in my shipping email is £139! Surely that's gotta be a mistake on their part? VAT should always be included in the price... They don't appear to have charged my card yet so I can't confirm the amount they have actually taken. Emailed their support.

Just got my shipping confirmation from the lego store in the UK and they appear to have added £20 VAT on my order! Anyone else ordered something this week and seeing that?

Price on the site is £119 for the modular bank, price in my shipping email is £139! Surely that's gotta be a mistake on their part? VAT should always be included in the price... They don't appear to have charged my card yet so I can't confirm the amount they have actually taken. Emailed their support.

Just checked my order (in warehouse so no shipping number yet) and previous orders and they all say "(Inclusive of Tax £xx.xx) ". I'd give them a call. You're in the UK ordering from the UK store?

willp2003

Mine says that as well, but I'm waiting to see what comes out of my account first.

ninge

Just checked my order (in warehouse so no shipping number yet) and previous orders and they all say "(Inclusive of Tax £xx.xx) ". I'd give them a call. You're in the UK ordering from the UK store?

Yeah I'm in the UK ordering from UK store. I just checked my order confirmation and it lists the £20 VAT, but as part of the £119 not in addition to it. Looks like the shipping confirmation is incorrectly adding it on top so effectively listing VAT twice. Will let you know what they say but I suspect it's just a fuck up with the email generation...

Yeah I'm in the UK ordering from UK store. I just checked my order confirmation and it lists the £20 VAT, but as part of the £119 not in addition to it. Looks like the shipping confirmation is incorrectly adding it on top so effectively listing VAT twice. Will let you know what they say but I suspect it's just a fuck up with the email generation...

Oh yeah, it says that on my email too but says it's inclusive on and the site, and the total price is what it should be on the email, Still, they were having problems with the website yesterday so just see what they have to say. Just looks like an error.

Ryuuroden

Exclusives and "hard-to-find" items are excluded from discounts so wouldn't you be better off at Target or Amazon? Also, I might be wrong, but don't AFOL days usually require a LUG affiliation?

Not all stuff goes on sale on those sites. Pretty sure speed champion sets aren't exclusive but I never see them on sale plus the afol discount on top of points is about max what Amazon goes typically. It may require a lug affiliation, I forget. I'm in a lug and I have the RLUG sticker just in case.

ninge

Recently I've been going through a bunch of old Lego from when I was a kid putting all of the sets back together and replacing any missing or broken pieces via Bricklink. The end goal being to get them ready for sale to fund new Lego purchases :)

Anyway, I came across this little gem which I thought was quite interesting considering that we're finally getting a minifig scale baby and pram this year:

Yes, the hair is on backwards in this pic. My bad! Dunno if it's collectable or worth anything, but quite a fun set from a different era regardless.

I'm having a run of bad luck with missing parts recently. My Rey speeder had no sticker sheet. Honestly it looks great without stickers, but that is three sets in just a few weeks with issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom