• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFuzz

Haven't ordered directly from Lego for a few years, how long does to usually take for Lego to dispatch? Ordered the GB Friehouse on Tuesday and it's still in the warehouse.

I ordered on Monday morning, it shipped on Tuesday and FedEx tracking shows mine is scheduled for delivery today.

willp2003

Ordered my TIE on Monday morning and it arrived today (UK).
Just built it and love it. The stand moves though and tips forward with the weight. I've clearly built it wrong, but I can't spot where!
The sticker sheet was ruined though, so I'll have to email them for another. Why they can't just put a bit of cardboard in with them is crazy.

TalesFromHoth

Neo Member
Ordered my TIE on Monday morning and it arrived today (UK).
Just built it and love it. The stand moves though and tips forward with the weight. I've clearly built it wrong, but I can't spot where!
The sticker sheet was ruined though, so I'll have to email them for another. Why they can't just put a bit of cardboard in with them is crazy.

Probably best to snap a picture of the stand and post it here and I can compare it with my stand if that helps.

Thanks guys. Did think it may take a little longer with the offer on. I'm in no rush for it as my Birthday isn't until May but I hate it when an order has been stuck on one option for what feels like an age. Neither my points or Quidco have tracked yet either.

First world problems, I know.

Well it doesn't look like I'll be able to make it to a lego store while in San Francisco, it's nearly 2 hours away from where I'm staying by public transport or 30 mins by uber but nearly $60 each way. I can't really justify the time out of my schedule for public transport and can't justify spending that much money when all I was really gonna buy was Pick a brick cups :(

That sucks. I'm sorry to hear that. I was secretly hoping that I was going to have time to meet you at the Lego store to chat and have you sign my Ecto-1. Another time and another place maybe.

On a brighter note, maybe this will free up some time to check out some sights in our beautiful city. :)

Markus

Haven't ordered directly from Lego for a few years, how long does to usually take for Lego to dispatch? Ordered the GB Friehouse on Tuesday and it's still in the warehouse.

I ordered the GBHQ myself at around 1am EST Tuesday, and just got a dispatch email this morning (Thursday) that the package is shipping today. The tracking on the FedEx site shows the shipping info was submitted Wednesday at 5:15am, so I assume they are a little behind getting items out of their NA warehouse this week.

I already ordered Brick Bank and Ghostbusters Firehouse. I am seriously thinking of the Arocs before double VIP is over. That set is REALLY calling to me now.

I demand further enabling! I want someone to finally break me and several others about technic sets after all these years.

Well, I promised no more photos until it was done so no more photos, but now that I've got batteries, I want to tell you what the best part about it is.

I've put it in spoilers because I'm pretty sure anyone teetering on the edge of buying an Arocs is going over if they read this, so maybe for your wallet's sake, don't!

The best part about this set isn't that the lifting bed works when you flick a switch, it isn't that the crane spins when you flick a switch, it isn't that you can manouver it to pick up stuff and drop it somewhere else all at the push of a button. It's that while all this is happening, you understand WHY it's happening, because you placed every cog, every piece of tubing, every single part of it was put together by your own hands and you know how it all works together, so when you press a button and the crane spins round, you know it's because the motor is making this spin which is making that spin which is turning the crane, and stuff like that. I can't even explain how satisfying that is.

I don't know how much I'd be into smaller Technic sets, but big ones like this? I seriously doubt this one will be my last.

Jimbro72

I don't know how much I'd be into smaller Technic sets, but big ones like this? I seriously doubt this one will be my last.

That is pretty much my stance on the technic line. The smaller and even a lot of the medium sized sets just don't have that much appeal to me but the big ones, especially ones with power functions, those are the ones I'm drawn to. I think I've purchased 8 technic sets over the past 3-4 yrs and only 2 of them are sub $100 sets. The big ones are just so much more impressive when building them and also when completed.

Speaking of stands... So far i really couldn't be arsed to devise my own stands to pose ships in various angles but... i guess i really have to now since a lot of em could look SO much better in an interesting pose rather than just stand there flat!

Isn't there a super easy way to do it or do you really have to painstakingly figure something out each and every time for each ship? Any pointers on what pieces to use for motion? I mean the point where you can actually turn the ship in a different direction, the joint. Maybe use multiple joints on different impact points for stability since i can't imagine say one ball joint is enough to do the trick with some of the heavier ships...

Speaking of stands... So far i really couldn't be arsed to devise my own stands to pose ships in various angles but... i guess i really have to now since a lot of em could look SO much better in an interesting pose rather than just stand there flat!

Isn't there a super easy way to do it or do you really have to painstakingly figure something out each and every time for each ship? Any pointers on what pieces to use for motion? I mean the point where you can actually turn the ship in a different direction, the joint. Maybe use multiple joints on different impact points for stability since i can't imagine say one ball joint is enough to do the trick with some of the heavier ships...

I've built custom ones for each. Generally, it wouldn't be a good idea to have posable stands. Use technic beams, they have a bunch of angles. Also, make sure you build something that fits into the underside of the ship but doesn't have to peg into it.

Also, technic beams can take a lot of weight. Balance is much more important than sturdiness.

I've got Benny's SSS, the first Quinjet, the Milano and the older X-Wing up on various stands, as well as a few really simple ones (the transparent wings or just a beam).

Finally put my double VIP + Bunny + Chick order in today. Finally budged on the Spider-Man motorcycle for my boy, got the new wedding and birthday sets, the 4 castle figures (the good guys), bricks and pieces, two Mixels and a Boba Fett magnet. All in all a pretty big order on a lot of small things. Unfortunately my earlier bricks and pieces selection was gone, so had to do it again and a lot of the heads and torsos I wanted were gone, like the Death Star Final Duel heads and the body of the old Leia. Guess I should have ordered right when Double VIP started...

About delivery, Lego is always really slow with shipping. I always assume that it will take at least a week. Just like their website, their shipping is just not from 2016.

So, just bought one of the new Bionicle kits, the newer Kopaka one, and all I can say is.... Why?

Why do you do this to me?
71311-front-secondary-kopaka.jpg

How many colors is that? Too fucking many. I get it Lego, you want your clear blue/gold shit. But make the damn guy White, Clear Blue, Gold, and *that's it*. Instead we've got silver and solid dark blue in here fucking this guy up good. Whyyyyyyyyyy.

Other than that, very good set, though I'd like to see the shoulders revised, and his torso is too tall for his legs. Any photos I take will be required to be from thighs up, or it'll look weird as hell. Photos later maybe.

The haul so far from the Double VIP period
  • Slave One
  • Pet Shop
  • Parisian Restaurant
Hope the Sandcrawler sticks around till next October.

What are people's thoughts on Death Star Final Duel (apart from being a tad on the expensive side)?

wetwired

That sucks. I'm sorry to hear that. I was secretly hoping that I was going to have time to meet you at the Lego store to chat and have you sign my Ecto-1. Another time and another place maybe.

On a brighter note, maybe this will free up some time to check out some sights in our beautiful city. :)
I'm happy to meet up with any gaffers if your nearby. Just can't make it to t by e lego store unfortunately

wetwired

Bricks and Pieces is so frustrating... everything I want is either not listed or sold out.

anyway, here is my Double VIP order. I still need Brick Bank but I'm putting it off till some other time.

30422 Kai's Mini Dragon
75135 Obi-Wan’s Jedi Interceptor
75827 Firehouse Headquarters
76064 Mighty Micros: Spider-Man vs. Green Goblin
76061 Mighty Micros: Batman vs. Catwoman
75871 Ford Mustang GT
70602 Jay’s Elemental Dragon

These VIP points will put me over the hill to where I can get a free 2016 UCS set (not yet decided, Assault on Hoth is the frontrunner) in the coming months.

I struggled with rather I should get the Firehouse or the 66 batcave, but since I don't have the retired modular Firehouse it really makes the most sense for my collection. Haven't decided if I will get the Batcave at a later date or not. I admire the series, but it's still one of my least favorite interpretations.

Yeah I saved a heap of part numbers about a month ago to order when it was time most aren't available anymore

FedEx decided to not attempt delivery today. The tracking showed it on a vehicle this morning, then at 11am it shows "Attempt not made. Will deliver tomorrow."

What the frell is that about?

mreddie

So the minifigures I should have gotten 2 weeks ago? I asked for a refund last week and then today, they came. Should I respond to Amazon that I got them now and recharge the money or take them and run?

Boogiepop

Okay guys, for the Star Wars stuff, IE the First Order Transporter and ESPECIALLY the Millennium Falcon: how likely are they to last until the next double VIP day? Assuming they'll last, I've spent too much on stuff lately and should just let them sit until then, but it would definitely be a shame to miss out on the Falcon. So am I safe to just hold off, or is there any risk involved in doing so? (Not really knowledgeable about how frequently Lego sets cycle, personally.)

So the minifigures I should have gotten 2 weeks ago? I asked for a refund last week and then today, they came. Should I respond to Amazon that I got them now and recharge the money or take them and run?

I'd let them know. Do it via chat and they'll probably let you keep them.

So, just bought one of the new Bionicle kits, the newer Kopaka one, and all I can say is.... Why?

Why do you do this to me?

How many colors is that? Too fucking many. I get it Lego, you want your clear blue/gold shit. But make the damn guy White, Clear Blue, Gold, and *that's it*. Instead we've got silver and solid dark blue in here fucking this guy up good. Whyyyyyyyyyy.

Other than that, very good set, though I'd like to see the shoulders revised, and his torso is too tall for his legs. Any photos I take will be required to be from thighs up, or it'll look weird as hell. Photos later maybe.

Yeah kopaka probably has the worst color scheme of the wave. I'd say Lewa and Onua are much better in that regard.

Do the right thing and let them know.

Okay guys, for the Star Wars stuff, IE the First Order Transporter and ESPECIALLY the Millennium Falcon: how likely are they to last until the next double VIP day? Assuming they'll last, I've spent too much on stuff lately and should just let them sit until then, but it would definitely be a shame to miss out on the Falcon. So am I safe to just hold off, or is there any risk involved in doing so? (Not really knowledgeable about how frequently Lego sets cycle, personally.)

Should be fine, but there are no guarrantees. Both launched late last year and seem to be popular. Have both and would advice to not miss out on the Falcon, which is a beast. The transporter can be had really cheap if you do not care for the minifigs by the way.

UPS tracking said they were giving my package to USPS for delivery but when I got home the package was at my door. I think they just enter the wrong info into their PDAs sometimes.

I'd let them know. Do it via chat and they'll probably let you keep them.
Ya, best to be honest. You may get recharged though, but you got the product.

Packed up to head to Indianapolis tomorrow, weee

Sadly, I won't be making it to it. I had to look at the time it would take as well as my schedule, and I won't be making it to the convention. It would have been awesome to see, but sadly it is a bit far away to make a day trip out of it.

Have fun though!

Brickset has a great article posted about some classic sets from 1986. This was the tail end of my childhood run with LEGO. I still have many of these sets, and the nostalgia is strong.

http://brickset.com/article/19827/throwbackthursday-1986

Also, this is an impressive $10 set. I'm not a Ninjago fan but this is a really cool little build.

That was about the time I got into LEGO. I was still heavily into Transformers, but I had a few sets from that catalogue, including the Technic stuff.

boltz

The thing with a totally posable stand is that it's going to have to be pretty built up because the center of gravity of the ship changes for each pose and the stand has to be able to handle those. Are you thinking stands for UCS ships? For lighter ships I use translucent 1x2x5s with a 2x2 rocking plate/bearing on top to give the ship one axis of rotation, which gives me poses I'm happy with and the translucent pieces look cleaner and give a better illusion of flying.

It's pretty easy to experiment with attachment points to figure out each ship's center of gravity. So far I haven't had any ships topple without any direct contact:

25063717223_f1b5f5c136_c.jpg

boltz

Keep your good karma by letting Amazon know. Amazon has always given me amazing customer service, so you might even be pleasantly surprised by their response.

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
My son's preschool is currently running a Scholastic Book Fair. One of the nice things about these fairs is that they will occasionally have books for sale before their official launch date. Meaning that today I was able to snag DK's LEGO DC Super Heroes Character Encyclopedia about a month before its release.

Early Pirate Batman, yo! Pretty cute little figure. The new cowl looks quite nice in this shade of blue.

NXfU3lN.jpg

The thing with a totally posable stand is that it's going to have to be pretty built up because the center of gravity of the ship changes for each pose and the stand has to be able to handle those. Are you thinking stands for UCS ships? For lighter ships I use translucent 1x2x5s with a 2x2 rocking plate/bearing on top to give the ship one axis of rotation, which gives me poses I'm happy with and the translucent pieces look cleaner and give a better illusion of flying.

It's pretty easy to experiment with attachment points to figure out each ship's center of gravity. So far I haven't had any ships topple without any direct contact:

yeah this is EXACTLY what i am looking for, thanks :)

I'll try this later on... what do you mean by "rocking plate" though? What piece is that specifically?

Nevermind, you probably mean the plates that go into those 1X2 hinges. I just tried it with 2 of those and varied the height of the different stands by adding or subtracting plates.

It does seem pretty stable so far, of course not as stable as a actual stand, plus this ship is pretty light so i am unsure how it's gonna work with heavier stuff and more extreme angles BUT for now i am satisfied (except for the colors of course, i need to make a BL order for transparent pieces ;)

FtBzBPQ.jpg

dno_1966

Just finished building the Slave and the end result is fantastic, easily my favourite build to date. It's a lot bigger than I expected and has inspired me to buy a shelf ;-)

The big sale here entered the final stage, half off the sale price, which means 50-70% off! Unfortunately it started yesterday so it was quite cleaned out already, but at least I got the nether dragon set.

Just finished building the Slave and the end result is fantastic, easily my favourite build to date. It's a lot bigger than I expected and has inspired me to buy a shelf ;-)

Awesome. Just placed the order for it myself this morning with the points from the GC Firehouse. Any chance you could take a picture to demonstrate the scale? I'm going to have to clear some space from my shelves but that's totally my lot for Lego for a while. I read It's fairly tall on the stand but doesn't take up much space width wise.

willp2003

I think slave 1 will be my May 4th buy, assuming there's a good minifig. Although getting double points is tempting, but I've spent enough this month already. I was surprised by the size of the TIE, but I love it.

Damn, i just hit BrickLink and it seems there's only ONE seller that actually sells 1X2X5 trans-clear bricks who has more than ONE, but he has a 66 eur minimum buy :(

I checked Bricks and pieces, the piece is not available at ALL in that color :(

Anyone know of other ways to get a hold of those?

Risible

That looks fucking amazing.

Ponn

Banned
Batcave got shunned this double VIP. I don't expect it to do very well and I'm starting to wonder if Lego will retire it early and suddenly.

TheFuzz

Batcave got shunned this double VIP. I don't expect it to do very well and I'm starting to wonder if Lego will retire it early and suddenly.

It would make sense that it would last a year for sure, half as long as exclusives normally do.

it makes sense because it's a half-assed attempt at a proper Batcave.

It would make sense that it would last a year for sure, half as long as exclusives normally do.

Actually it looks better in person... i've seen it at the Lego store and... well i felt bad for it and almost got it LOL but then i manned up and got Slave I instead :p

Ponn

Banned

I was gonna return mine but I think I'm going to keep it and take lots of cool pics to shove it down peoples throats. Hopefully no one took it from my door step
in hospital again, hopefully going home today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom