• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFuzz

Actually it looks better in person... i've seen it at the Lego store and... well i felt bad for it and almost got it LOL but then i manned up and got Slave I instead :p

I've seen it in person twice, and disagree. The entire helipad structure is a waste of bricks since it's not even accurate to the source. Another few hundred bricks are wasted making the whole pole setup too. I would have preferred a baseplate with the nuclear computer and other computers/lab, turntable for the batmobile and a completely separate build for Wayne Manor.

I say this as a die-hard Batman fan. It's even made worse when you see the Firehouse close by... It's such a complete and solid display piece with tons of features and a nice footprint for only $80 more.

Granted, you have to be a GB fan. My entire childhood was consumed by GB and Batman, so it was really win-win for me.

Gonna have to get one of those Caterham Super Seven. Looks fantastic, could be a great display piece. Although hopefully they don't go overboard with stickers and do some actual prints. He posted a lot of revisions but hopefully the final one looks similar to this:

t6qzlZV.jpg

Yellow Submarine is in the next set for review!

Yep. Fingers crossed.

My review of other contenders:
HMS BEAGLE: Possible conflict with new PotC theme + Pirate/sailing ship shit just doesn't sell that well anymore.

CONCORDE:
Nice model and all but......the plane is archaic and other famous planes have been rejected. Roof mechanism seems too complicated and 900 piece ain't small.

APOLLO 11: Well, IDEAS previously rejected the landing module which was a far more interesting design.

JURASSIC PARK EXPLORER: This will be the 5th and most boring dinosaur related project they will reject.

YELLOW SUBMARINE: Beautiful design. No reason why this should be rejected other than licensing issues.

VICTORIAN LONDON CHRISTMAS: I voted for this design, but I don't expect it to be made because of its sheer enormity. May also conflict with their winter theme (is it still going?)

TOYOTA LANDCRUISER:
This was pop's favorite car so I voted for it too, but the design is boring and it's has a large piece count.

20,0000 LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA:
Obscure IP (to anybody under 30) and massive set means unlikely. Would be buy if made, though.

NATIONAL PARK SERVICE: Boring. So basic that I can MOC this at home for free and I can't MOC.

Gonna have to get one of those Caterham Super Seven. Looks fantastic, could be a great display piece. Although hopefully they don't go overboard with stickers and do some actual prints. He posted a lot of revisions but hopefully the final one looks similar to this:

Me too, I think it's shit hot. I hope TLG doesn't nerf the design too much like they did to previous vehicles (especially the BttF DeLorean).

I dunno, im not a huge fan of the yellow submarine. It just looks a little too.... basic? Not sure how else to describe it . Just looks boring. Maybe it would look better in actual lego parts instead of the render he provided. Although the actual design of the yellow submarine is terrible in the first place in my opinion lol so that may be why i dont like it.

When did K'Nex start making weird looking LEGO? This is the first I've seen of it!

If the Adventure Time set doesn't have loads of extra yellow bricks to add to Jake it will be an opportunity missed.

ghostmind

Rumor has it that Adventure Time will be coming to LEGO Dimensions this year, so the IDEAS approval at this time makes a lot of sense.

willp2003

I'll be all over that Caterham. I liked the red and white R500 version. No idea what adventure time is, so that's an easy pass. Nothing really appeals in the next wave though.

WARNING: May be offensive to some people.

MegaBloks mixed with LEGO blocks. Looks pretty good. Plastic seems a bit "cheap", but otherwise MegaBloks has done a decent job doing 80's TMNT.
UA9oDnL.jpg

BrickBlogger did a post on the MegaBloks Collectors sets. http://thebrickblogger.com/2016/03/mega-bloks-treasures-for-lego-tmnt-fans/

Compared to the awful KREO Star Trek figures, these MegaBlok sets may appeal to Original Star Trek fans.

Interesting. If MegaBloks can use Mattel backing to improve brick and plastic quality for their collector lines, MegaBloks could start eating more of LEGO's market share.

https://www.megabloks.com/en-us/shop/construction-toys/kubros

Apologies if anyone was offended with this post. ;)

I'd be all over a yellow submarine set. I'd prob get one for myself and one for my dad, who is a huge Beatles fan.

Now some CCBS Beatles figures would be super odd...

Rumor has it that Adventure Time will be coming to LEGO Dimensions this year, so the IDEAS approval at this time makes a lot of sense.

Yes i have heard as much on Eurobricks as well. Adventure Time as well as Mr. T (no joke) The prospect of those minifigs alone should be enough to get excited :))

Osahi

I had expected Lego physics to win, but maybe it's just too much loose pieces.

Caterham looks great, and I might get that one.
Next batch is quite boring. I am only interested in the JP car, but it has no chance on winning probably. The guy gets selected every time, but never wins. Must hurt.

Still hope this gets 10k votes and a gets approved, love Portuguese trams (and portugal in general)

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/119603

I had expected Lego physics to win, but maybe it's just too much loose pieces.

Caterham looks great, and I might get that one.
Next batch is quite boring. I am only interested in the JP car, but it has no chance on winning probably. The guy gets selected every time, but never wins. Must hurt.

Still hope this gets 10k votes and a gets approved, love Portuguese trams (and portugal in general)

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/119603

wetwired has been screwed twice.

also, another IDEAS/CUUSOO contributor who reached the review stage twice with UCS Sandcrawler (which like wetwired's Tumbler came out almost immediately after) and Western Modular Town, which is my all-time favorite IDEAS/CUUSOO project.

I think AT combines the LEGO building experience and the cartoon perfectly. I hope that makes it, but they probably will have to split the set to keep the price down for the demographics it will mainly target. Love the car one, but I wonder what price that would be.

It blows my mind that the show is in it's 7th season, and WB/CN are huge partners with Lego, yet there's fuck all in the way of Lego Adventure Time sets. Pen once said I should take a crack at it since I'm way more into Lego than he is but I suck ass at MOCing stuff, plus there've been 2 versions of the Treehouse that are way better than anything I could have made and neither of them got through. The only thing I can think of that keeps the Ideas sets from happening is that Lego and CN would probably want special moulds for the hats and hair pieces, not to mention characters like LSP, which is obviously a no-no for Ideas sets... but that doesn't explain why there haven't been normal sets yet at all.

Plus:

Last year there was that big leak of Dimensions set numbers with weird abbreviated letters, one of which was AT which we all took to mean Adventure Time. There was also HP (Harry Potter) FB (Fantastic Beasts) GB (Ghostbusters) and a few others I can't remember off the top of my head. Anyone have that list handy?

And yeah one of them totally said MrT which is like, whaaat. An A-Team set would be amazing but I'd settle for a microbuild of their van and a Mr T minifig.

---

I really hope they do some work on the Adventure Time Ideas designs. I'm.. not a fan. I think we'd probably all prefer minifigs? But I guess any AT is better than none, and with what happened to Ghostbusters, hopefully Adventure Time will eventually branch out into its own theme too. There's a lot of padding on that AT Ideas set as well, there's really no reason to put Tree Trunks, Ricardio, or the Snail in there. It should be Finn, Jake, Lady Rainicorn, Princess Bubblegum, Marceline, Ice King, Gunther and LSP. Lemongrab and Liche are in the "eh" category for me since they're featured so infrequently in the show (especially the Liche) and the other three I already mentioned have no need to be in this set other than to inflate the piece count and price unnecessarily.

That way you have 8 little buildable figures of all the main characters, and the price would be around $40-50 so it's not totally out of reach of kids. $40 would probably be perfect too, since it's all just normal bricks with only a few special prints, that would make each of the 8 figures about $5 which is in line with Mixel pricing, and these figures seem to be right around that size/piece count.

Yeah...A-Team and Lego? I don't think so...

Although...they DID keep missing those bad guys quite on a regular basis so maybe it's somewhat non violent after all LOL

But hey, there's plenty of other famous Mr T stuff they could use right? I mean... there's like this one animated show with him... then there's Rocky III and... ok it's gotta be A-Team i guess

Don't care one bit for AT, so that's a pass. The car looks good and would probably be awesome along with Sopwith Camel, but not for me.

Instead, I'm getting interested in the maze. There's tons of potential for custom boards there.

Also hoping for the Yellow Submarine. Not extremely much for the vehicle itself, but it would be awesome to get official Beatles minifigures. But if they made a KNex thing that recently, the license is probably not up for grabs at the moment. Maybe, maybe they can keep the submission around if they like it, and try later?

iuuk

I just finished my latest architecture sets, and the new Burj Khalifa is huge. I actually needed to remove a 1x1 (x3) round piece to make it fit in my display cabinet. Old Burfj Khalifa is next to it for comparisson;

The biggest problem now is that I've only got 1 place left for Architecture sets (where my Weathertop is at the moment) and ditto for Cars. When money is the problem I can at least tell myself that they'll be worth more in the future, but my space investment doesn't seem to grow :(.

And someone also gave me a Oxford Bricks Turtle Ship as a souvenir from Korea, and quality wise it really (positively) surprised me. I've heard good things about it, but it still exceeded expectations. Not quite LEGO quality, but now that LEGO has been getting slightly worse these sets are creeping ever closer. It also looks really good.

(picture from last week, hence the Arsenal game)

wetwired

Wouldnt be a shitty bit of irony if the reason Stay Puft was rejected was because of the existing license.......since wetwired was the reason they got the license in the first place?

As I've said previously, it wouldn't surprise me if they already have one in development. I found the lack of a gozer minifig in the firehouse a sign that they might

I'm taking apart a bunch of older sets to make room for newer stuff and man... taking Lego apart without a Brick Separator is... not friendly on the fingers.

As I've said previously, it wouldn't surprise me if they already have one in development. I found the lack of a gozer minifig in the firehouse a sign that they might

The inclusion of the Library Ghost and Zombie Cabbie over Gozer and Walter Peck is dumbfounding to me. I guess I get it if they wanted more ghost characters to pit the Ghostbusters against, but.. Gozer is a ghost, and also the main villain of the movie. Like.. they even have pictures of Vigo in there but nothing for Gozer!? WTF times infinity. I mean if nothing else ditch the Cabbie for Gozer and at least give the Library Ghost Tobin's Spirit Guide instead of whatever nonsense book she came with. But to leave them both out seems like such a huge missed opportunity if they don't do anymore classic sets.

I really hope you're right and they do a Stay Puft set with him, Gozer, and Peck. Even if it's a non-standard marshmallow-covered Peck that's better than nothing. Ugh.

I wonder if Peck would be difficult to MOC? Tan pants, tan suit jacket torso, orange combed-back hair. Only difficult part might be finding a flesh-tone head with an orange beard?

wetwired

I'm taking apart a bunch of older sets to make room for newer stuff and man... taking Lego apart without a Brick Separator is... not friendly on the fingers.

The inclusion of the Library Ghost and Zombie Cabbie over Gozer and Walter Peck is dumbfounding to me. I guess I get it if they wanted more ghost characters to pit the Ghostbusters against, but.. Gozer is a ghost, and also the main villain of the movie. Like.. they even have pictures of Vigo in there but nothing for Gozer!? WTF times infinity. I mean if nothing else ditch the Cabbie for Gozer and at least give the Library Ghost Tobin's Spirit Guide instead of whatever nonsense book she came with. But to leave them both out seems like such a huge missed opportunity if they don't do anymore classic sets.

I really hope you're right and they do a Stay Puft set with him, Gozer, and Peck. Even if it's a non-standard marshmallow-covered Peck that's better than nothing. Ugh.

I wonder if Peck would be difficult to MOC? Tan pants, tan suit jacket torso, orange combed-back hair. Only difficult part might be finding a flesh-tone head with an orange beard?

He's pretty easy to make a rough approximation of

ghostbusterscharacters.jpg

I think from memory that's Eomer from LOTRs face, either that or one of the random Rohan soldiers

Why?

You should sell it on bricklink on the MOC pages or through your own site. The parts are readily available.

Just call it "Giant Marshmellow Man"

I've made and sold instructions before for the Tumbler I made, it really isn't worth the effort. creating the instructions is time consuming and they don't sell for a lot. I ended up just giving the instructions away for free

Maengun1

Nice to see stuff actually passing review this time I guess, but nothing for me here. The only one of the bunch that would have been a definite buy is the marshmallow man. Not a fan of Adventure Time and while the car is nice, I've passed on every other car model set so far and will continue to do so. Just not quite enough interest/time/money for me to go down another avenue in Lego collecting there.

I don't see much in the next wave to get my hopes up about either. Yellow Submarine would be cool I guess. It was the last wave of Ideas sets that I really liked, there were like 3 I wanted, and that was the group that got a complete rejection haha :(

I think from memory that's Eomer from LOTRs face, either that or one of the random Rohan soldiers

Oh, that looks excellent. If they don't bring out anymore classic sets I'm totally gonna MOC my own then. It's a crime he wasn't included in the Firehouse.

I've made and sold instructions before for the Tumbler I made, it really isn't worth the effort. creating the instructions is time consuming and they don't sell for a lot. I ended up just giving the instructions away for free

I meant sell the physical set.

TLG's SP set won't be in the same league as yours, i'm certain of it.

Rootbeer

Banned
I hope the rumors of Adventure Time coming to Dimensions is true T__T

It would help make up for them turning down that awesome adventure time set previously.

Arc07

Progress on my first MOC. Learned a lot of do's and don'ts on this build so my next one won't be nearly as expensive... hopefully.

Just waiting on 4 parts so I can finish the engine & suspension.

Lotus 78 next!

Yes i have heard as much on Eurobricks as well. Adventure Time as well as Mr. T (no joke) The prospect of those minifigs alone should be enough to get excited :))

Last year there was that big leak of Dimensions set numbers with weird abbreviated letters, one of which was AT which we all took to mean Adventure Time. There was also HP (Harry Potter) FB (Fantastic Beasts) GB (Ghostbusters) and a few others I can't remember off the top of my head. Anyone have that list handy?

And yeah one of them totally said MrT which is like, whaaat. An A-Team set would be amazing but I'd settle for a microbuild of their van and a Mr T minifig.

I'm completely convinced there is an A-Team with Mr. T in the works. Axl from Nexo Knights has a hair piece that is totally like Mr. T's that I imagine will make it's way to a Nexo Knight set once Mr. T makes his debut. That plus Dimensions leak with those initials which so far have been pretty accurate with people's guesses.

I just finished my latest architecture sets, and the new Burj Khalifa is huge. I actually needed to remove a 1x1 (x3) round piece to make it fit in my display cabinet. Old Burfj Khalifa is next to it for comparisson;

The biggest problem now is that I've only got 1 place left for Architecture sets (where my Weathertop is at the moment) and ditto for Cars. When money is the problem I can at least tell myself that they'll be worth more in the future, but my space investment doesn't seem to grow :(.

And someone also gave me a Oxford Bricks Turtle Ship as a souvenir from Korea, and quality wise it really (positively) surprised me. I've heard good things about it, but it still exceeded expectations. Not quite LEGO quality, but now that LEGO has been getting slightly worse these sets are creeping ever closer. It also looks really good.

(picture from last week, hence the Arsenal game)

Nice setup. The turtle ship is actually a decent design. I've heard Oxford Bricks quality is one of the closest to LEGO brick quality. They are also the manufacturers of Kreo bricks. Is Kreo dead?

Nitemare1

Progress on my first MOC. Learned a lot of do's and don'ts on this build so my next one won't be nearly as expensive... hopefully.

Lotus 78 next!

That's looking fantastic!. Can't wait to see it finished!

Firehouse HQ showed up today. Now debating about whether to start that or Brick Bank first.

Lotus 78 next!
Damn, son! That is looking awesome.

Rootbeer

Banned
My firehouse will be here Thursday.

That is... if I can convince Fedex to deliver it to the right place.

The last THREE times fedex has delivered anything to my place, they have delivered it to the wrong unit because they can't find their way around my building supposedly.

Nothing like getting a delivery notification only to not find it where it should be, then frantically scrambling around my building trying to find out where they put it. It's a problem because we have a thief targeting my building as well. We have identified who they are through video footage, so we know what they look like and that they don't live in the building, but the police can't do anything with such little information. They have a device that opens the lock to our lobby. These devices are constantly evolving to foil electronic door systems, and the building manager is having trouble keeping ahead of them.

UPS, DHL, USPS haven't had issues.

Called their customer service. Let's see if it works out this time.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
So is that 25% off at LEGO stores this Sunday a real thing? If it is, then I'm just gonna go all out and get all the sets I have yet to pick up and get that double VIP points to go along with it.

Ryuuroden

So is that 25% off at LEGO stores this Sunday a real thing? If it is, then I'm just gonna go all out and get all the sets I have yet to pick up and get that double VIP points to go along with it.

It's just for members of LUGs and you need a sticker on your card.

boltz

Ninjago does nothing for me (not even the Morro dragon), but this is indeed a great little set with a lot of value for 10 bucks.

This is a great way to display those ships, but would be scared shitless they would fall over.

That looks fucking amazing.

Thanks guys! Speaking of them falling over, I just had an incident adjusting the Banshee on the far right and where it fell over, causing a chain reaction which nearly cleared the shelf. Was able to fix everything, but when I'm not touching anything, the stands have never fallen over on their own.

Damn, i just hit BrickLink and it seems there's only ONE seller that actually sells 1X2X5 trans-clear bricks who has more than ONE, but he has a 66 eur minimum buy :(

I checked Bricks and pieces, the piece is not available at ALL in that color :(

Anyone know of other ways to get a hold of those?

I got all of mine from Pick a Brick ($0.60 each). In the "Brick Name" field under Advanced Search enter in "tr" and it'll come up as one of the search results.

As far as stability goes, I have been surprised how well these stands have held up. For additional reinforcement, you could superglue them together or build up additional legs.

Yep. Fingers crossed.

My review of other contenders:
HMS BEAGLE: Possible conflict with new PotC theme + Pirate/sailing ship shit just doesn't sell that well anymore.

CONCORDE:
Nice model and all but......the plane is archaic and other famous planes have been rejected. Roof mechanism seems too complicated and 900 piece ain't small.

APOLLO 11: Well, IDEAS previously rejected the landing module which was a far more interesting design.

JURASSIC PARK EXPLORER: This will be the 5th and most boring dinosaur related project they will reject.

YELLOW SUBMARINE: Beautiful design. No reason why this should be rejected other than licensing issues.

VICTORIAN LONDON CHRISTMAS: I voted for this design, but I don't expect it to be made because of its sheer enormity. May also conflict with their winter theme (is it still going?)

TOYOTA LANDCRUISER:
This was pop's favorite car so I voted for it too, but the design is boring and it's has a large piece count.

20,0000 LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA:
Obscure IP (to anybody under 30) and massive set means unlikely. Would be buy if made, though.

NATIONAL PARK SERVICE: Boring. So basic that I can MOC this at home for free and I can't MOC.

Me too, I think it's shit hot. I hope TLG doesn't nerf the design too much like they did to previous vehicles (especially the BttF DeLorean).

I really don't understand how the NPS sets got in for review, just way too simplistic. The only set I care about on that list is the JP Explorer. Love the colors and is a real iconic vehicle from the movie. I could see that having the most broad appeal, especially if Lego throws in a dino or two with the set :)

WARNING: May be offensive to some people.

MegaBloks mixed with LEGO blocks. Looks pretty good. Plastic seems a bit "cheap", but otherwise MegaBloks has done a decent job doing 80's TMNT.
UA9oDnL.jpg

BrickBlogger did a post on the MegaBloks Collectors sets. http://thebrickblogger.com/2016/03/mega-bloks-treasures-for-lego-tmnt-fans/

Compared to the awful KREO Star Trek figures, these MegaBlok sets may appeal to Original Star Trek fans.

Interesting. If MegaBloks can use Mattel backing to improve brick and plastic quality for their collector lines, MegaBloks could start eating more of LEGO's market share.

https://www.megabloks.com/en-us/shop/construction-toys/kubros

Apologies if anyone was offended with this post. ;)

Personally, I think the two brands are more complements than competitors. Almost none of their building lines overlap and they both make parts you can't get from the other.

As for MB's TMNT collector's line, I think they're doing a good job with the figures and sets, but having the three separate lines is totally confusing. Maybe two lines, one for collectors and the other for youngsters, but three just sows consumer confusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom