• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let It Die |OT| F2P roguelike Dark Souls with a skateboarding skeleton

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Oh god, I just heard the Jackals bell for the first time. I ran the fuck out of that floor.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Is there a list of locations for barb magazines/stamp machines or is that just purely random?

Ranged weapons seem to do very little damage to bosses and especially her. It's a pretty infuriating boss because you have to run up to her and hit her, but she has a lot of stuff she can do to stall you and teleport away. I think the idea is to creep on her from behind, but she has a ridiculous field of view with all those cameras. The Mother Barbs segment says that she has poor hearing, so in theory running wouldn't make a difference from sneaking (basically the opposite of Coen).

Frankly, I usually wing it with healing and melee weapons; just Leeroy Jenkins towards her and melee her until she teleports, heal, rinse and repeat. I'm still waiting to learn a nice, clean, reliable strategy against her.

Level your Iron Mastery. The Iron Rage Move stuns her for a few seconds. Pair that with an upgraded and/or non-degraded Iron and you should be able to take her down quick. She will typically teleport right next to you at the start. So quick reflexes mean you should be able to get some mad damage in pretty quick.

Drop kicks all day. It's risky sometimes, but it's worth it. Run around until you can get an angle on her where she can't shoot you first, drop kick (does tons of damage), then you'll have time to get at least two more hits in usually before she teleports. Use a hammer or bat for the extra hits. EDIT: Yeah, I could see the iron working as well. Haven't tried that.

The rage move on the iron seems to rip her apart.

Other than that do your best to keep an eye on her when she teleports. Charge her and roll a few times to get past her shots, get in a few melee hits, repeat as necessary.

Shrooms, and wait for here to reload (where she kinda claws at herself), get in there and hit her then.
Thanks for all the tips! I think I'll work on a new character and rank up the Iron in the process before giving it another shot. I only wish I had an Iron upgrade blueprint...

Thanks for all the tips! I think I'll work on a new character and rank up the Iron in the process before giving it another shot. I only wish I had an Iron upgrade blueprint...

There are no upgrade blueprints, there's only the original blueprint for each weapon / armor. You upgrade them to newer forms by... keeping upgrading them. :)

Unless you mean you don't have the iron blueprint at all; if that's the case, I think blueprints are relatively fixed in location and you may want to research where it can be found.

I am stuck as hell on the boss on Floor 23,
Goto-9.
I go in fully prepared with Mushrooms and equipment and keep getting wrecked. First time I've been forced to a complete stop like this man. Really rough!

There are no upgrade blueprints, there's only the original blueprint for each weapon / armor. You upgrade them to newer forms by... keeping upgrading them. :)

Unless you mean you don't have the iron blueprint at all; if that's the case, I think blueprints are relatively fixed in location and you may want to research where it can be found.
Yeah I meant that I don't have the blueprint at all. :(

Toma

Goto-9.
I go in fully prepared with Mushrooms and equipment and keep getting wrecked. First time I've been forced to a complete stop like this man. Really rough!

Apparently you can walk around his floor and avoid him for now. But yeah, only boss I spent 5 death metals just to pass.

Anfang

Goto-9.

Invis shroom + attack shroom + iron = dead bridge man. Wouldn't recommend walking around him though because if you can't handle him, nlocking the next grade will make things even harder. TBH I'd say stick to farming early twenties and get tier 3 before hitting grade 4.

Toma

Invis shroom + attack shroom + iron = dead bridge man. Wouldn't recommend walking around him though because if you can't handle him, nlocking the next grade will make things even harder. TBH I'd say stick to farming early twenties and get tier 3 before hitting grade 4.

I never felt like unlocking a new grade made the game harder. Why would you think that? Because of higher haters? I think haters are actually pretty tame to handle, especially if you have a higher grade character too. They can handle a whole area for you, and then you stab them in the back. Still works at floor 31 at least :p

Baliis

Goto-9.

What gear are you using? I had no problems with the machete +3 or 4 I don't remember + sting shrooms + invis shrooms

okay, so I would've had no problems if I'd brought two invis shrooms but I still only had to use one metal to finish her. If you can get the upgraded axe from a screamer that seems to work pretty well on her too, but really any boss that gives you problems just bring more shrooms. The amount of slow time/invisibility/invincibility you can get is pretty absurd.

I never felt like unlocking a new grade made the game harder. Why would you think that? Because of higher haters? I think haters are actually pretty tame to handle, especially if you have a higher grade character too. They can handle a whole area for you, and then you stab them in the back. Still works at floor 31 at least :p

I agree with this. Even though haters get stronger I recommend getting next tier of fighter asap. The reason is because stronger haters have better gear, with 5* haters having gear good enough to take you to the last boss and potentially fight jackals with, all you need to do is repair the gear with a funshroom. Brainshrooms are available 20+ and if you don't have any just shred their armor before attacking them. The iron, anything that causes burning, automatic weapons, etc all can shred a fully armored haters gear really quick, and even an unarmored high level 5* hater can go down quick to lower tier weapons..

Anfang

Honestly
imo game steps it up starting in the 20s and combined with grade 4 haters running around with masamune/damn flame wands it can get rough. Just feel its a good point to get armor/weps to tier 3 before proceeding

What gear are you using? I had no problems with the machete +3 or 4 I don't remember + sting shrooms + invis shrooms

okay, so I would've had no problems if I'd brought two invis shrooms but I still only had to use one metal to finish her. If you can get the upgraded axe from a screamer that seems to work pretty well on her too, but really any boss that gives you problems just bring more shrooms. The amount of slow time/invisibility/invincibility you can get is pretty absurd.

Hammer+ +2, Invisishrooms, Stingshrooms with Toughshroom and the like. Wearing the War Ensemble vest and Ryback pants with the mask. All the 'E' variants or whatever. My defense with my War Ensemble decal is near 400 or so.

You did it with a Machete? Everywhere I read says that it is strong against slashing, and blunt is the way to go. Am I doing it backwards?

I hadn't been throwing the Stingshrooms/Crushshrooms when it was glowing red, I'll do that tonight and see if that helps.

Basically I just don't feel I am doing any substantial damage, and it just tears through mine. And that is with the 50% extra life and a Premium 1HP Decal save.

hbkdx12

Just made it to floor 23. I haven't faced the boss yet. Heard it's hard but apparently you can use the side rooms to get to floor 25 to unlock grade 4 fighters?

I tried this and all the entrances were locked (suggesting i needed to beat the boss first) or the lock was on the other side of the gate where i couldn't access it so i don't see how i can advance further without fighting the boss.

Is it a different map rotation that allows for this to happen?

Ricker

I rarely try jump kicks because its hard to judge if it will land and if you miss,you are caught in that awful slow animation of getting back up and high chance of getting attacked by a combo...on Jin-Die if you miss by the time you get up your dead lol... ;)

Aselith

Goto-9.

If you put out items on the floor, he will eat them at least that was true on floor 11. You might try putting out some dropped weapons on the floor and see if he will because you can just wail away on him while he eats them.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Decided to poke my head around F26 with my Shooter. Found the boss room, but there's no way I was prepared being naked with no guns, haha.

I may take my Striker up against said boss. Invis + Crush should be easy enough...

What are the best weapons to upgrade through the first 10 levels or so? I have been mostly upgrading the hammer as it has served me well, but curious what else I could try.

Also, is there no way to expand your storage without parting with some cash?

Toma

What are the best weapons to upgrade through the first 10 levels or so? I have been mostly upgrading the hammer as it has served me well, but curious what else I could try.

You can get plenty of Death Metals from quests or logins. The quick way is cash though, yup. The machete is godly until Floor 20 or so.

Today I saw a Hater stomp on a critter, pick it up, and eat it, in the middle of fighting with me.

Also, heads up: I found a golden rat on Chudo (6F). However, the second time I went (from the lobby) I didn't find it. Since the above critter-eating hater was found precisely on my second Chudo visit, I wonder if he may have eaten it? :D

You get Death Metals semi-regularly just by logging in each day. I believe new users get at least 8 DMs during their first week, in groups of four during two specific days. That's enough for 40 more spaces. Aside from that, the one-time 30 DM for 5$ / 6€ is a really good deal.

It goes without saying but don't use DMs to revive your character, least of all at the start.

You can get plenty of Death Metals from quests or logins. The quick way is cash though, yup. The machete is godly until Floor 20 or so.

You get Death Metals semi-regularly just by logging in each day. I believe new users get at least 8 DMs during their first week, in groups of four during two specific days. That's enough for 40 more spaces. Aside from that, the one-time 30 DM for 5$ / 6€ is a really good deal.

It goes without saying but don't use DMs to revive your character, least of all at the start.
Thanks lads. I need to find me that damn Machete blueprint...

One more question for today: If your fighters fail to defend your base ina raid, do they lose whats in their death bags at the time?

Thanks lads. One more question for today: If your fighters fail to defend your base ina raid, do they lose whats in their death bags at the time?

Stuff not bought from Choku Funshu can degrade, but I think otherwise you keep your stuff. There's a chance your guy can get captured though and if that happens I think you do lose your stuff even if you rescue them.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Getting a little tired of the game throwing high level haters with good weapons at me when I'm trying to level a new character. And their AI is just dumb. They literally just read your button inputs and react perfectly. I prefer melee weapons but against hater AI It always feels like suicide.

Also I wouldn't mind dying so much if it weren't for the horrendous loading times when you do. If you make your game about dying and leveling up new fighters, don't put all these dispiriting roadblocks in the way.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Getting a little tired of the game throwing high level haters with good weapons at me when I'm trying to level a new character. And their AI is just dumb. They literally just read your button inputs and react perfectly. I prefer melee weapons but against hater AI It always feels like suicide.

Also I wouldn't mind dying so much if it weren't for the horrendous loading times when you do. If you make your game about dying and leveling up new fighters, don't put all these dispiriting roadblocks in the way.

We are fighting two very different groups of haters. The AI is dumb as hell. So easy to bait and punish.

Toma

As nicoga just said, never attack first, always wait for the counter window and you are golden. Haters always attack alone, which makes them easy enemies, even if they are 93 levels above you. I've beaten a level 100 hater earlier with a level 7 character.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
That is exactly what I do. Wait for them to commit and then retaliate. Sometimes it works, most of the time they don't give a fuck though and hello stunlock city.

Lol. Just lost another level fucking 6 one-star character to a level 51 hater on floor 2. WHY IS THIS A THING

Thanks lads. I need to find me that damn Machete blueprint...

One more question for today: If your fighters fail to defend your base ina raid, do they lose whats in their death bags at the time?

Nope. As a rule of thumb, characters set to do stuff controlled by the AI (defend your base, or go on expeditions), can only lose durability, and then only on equipment found as drops and not bought from the shop (shop equipment doesn't lose durability from those activities). Speaking of which, it's much more profitable to send your characters on expeditions, for the reasons described a while back.

As nicoga just said, never attack first, always wait for the counter window and you are golden. Haters always attack alone, which makes them easy enemies, even if they are 93 levels above you. I've beaten a level 100 hater earlier with a level 7 character.

Level really doesn't matter that much, but equipment makes a hell of a difference. Fortunately I think the game does take equipment into account when coloring the hater's name (particularly dangerous haters have their name in red rather than orange).

yume_2501

Nope. As a rule of thumb, characters set to do stuff controlled by the AI (defend your base, or go on expeditions), can only lose durability, and then only on equipment found as drops and not bought from the shop (shop equipment doesn't lose durability from those activities). Speaking of which, it's much more profitable to send your characters on expeditions, for the reasons described a while back.

Level really doesn't matter that much, but equipment makes a hell of a difference. Fortunately I think the game does take equipment into account when coloring the hater's name (particularly dangerous haters have their name in red rather than orange).
Nope, the name is Red when a player send one of their characters to invade You,Orange when a player died on that floor

Nope, the name is Red when a player send one of their characters to invade You,Orange when a player died on that floor

Ah, really? I guess I was led astray by the slight correlation, in the sense that people tend to send their characters after players they think they can kill. Good to know, thanks!

hbkdx12

Pushed my way to floor 25. Damn you guys for getting me scared for the boss on 23 lol. It wasn't bad at all. It was just super tanky but basically had all the same moves with the addition of 1 or 2. My two red hot irons and machete took care of him pretty easily.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Scratch Metal from Uncle Prime...

What happened unc. I thought you liked me.
Hahah, neat. And a bit cruel. Although leaving your PS4 on for 48 hours (I assume literally on, as putting it into suspend allows people to raid you, I think) is not something I would do for a character, especially now that I have sometimes access to golden snail heaven.
Basically just did it for the experiment

Baliis

Is the coin cap 40k the entire game?

You can upgrade your banks at the TDM menu for SPL, my caps are both over 500k right now

Oof, got destroyed by Coen on
floor 34
. Stumbled in on accident with no sting shrooms and no slow shrooms, just some guard shrooms, but he still smacks you around like crazy.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Tonight was slow. Spent all night trying to level my ranged masteries while also trying to get some 3* gear into a craftable state. Probably going to take a few days of this to do so, but I'll get there eventually. I suspect I'll make progress to 30F soon after, but I'm going to focus on this first.

Anfang

Tonight was slow. Spent all night trying to level my ranged masteries while also trying to get some 3* gear into a craftable state. Probably going to take a few days of this to do so, but I'll get there eventually. I suspect I'll make progress to 30F soon after, but I'm going to focus on this first.

In the same boat really. Just have to figure out which armor im going to get into 3*

Demoskinos

That reddit image is great but we still need a good resource for all the comics. Anyone have one? I'm missing 2 or so pages from each comic except the last one of which I have zero pages since I've not spent a horrible amount of time in 31+ yet.

hbkdx12

How comfortable has everyone been playing with the various fighter types?

So far strikers and collectors seem to be the standouts to me although I would like to delve into the other types but they just don't seem worth it

I made a grade 3 attacker but the hp was so low that I was constantly in danger of getting killed in 2 or 3 hits. I know gear plays a role but it was basically a death sentence now that I've moved into the 20s

I'd love to make a shooter but you seem to get more bang for your buck with melee weapons. Just knowing a long range weapon is next to useless once you run out of ammo just sounds like you're going to want to go out with 6 or 7 guns every time you start a run plus 1 or 2 melee weapons as back up. Enemies are also real assholes about just standing there and blocking your shots.

I use Striker for moving up the tower, Lucky Star to farm gold/level weapons, and Collector to explore floors a rank below (I'm in the upper 20s, so I have a rank 4 collector that can go through 11-20 with no problems).

I have a few shooters for defense and expeditions, but I don't think I would actually use them for advancing up the tower.

Toma

I must admit that I find it rather satisfying to start the game with this view of failed raid attempts:
zAC4PFA.jpg

Top Bottom