• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let It Die |OT| F2P roguelike Dark Souls with a skateboarding skeleton

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I must admit that I find it rather satisfying to start the game with this view of failed raid attempts:
zAC4PFA.jpg

Also regarding the raids: Sending your fighters on expeditions is more effective indeed, but I might as well grab the base defense achievement before moving up to grade 5.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Do we know what tiers there are to get better rewards in a TDM fight?

Syysch

Lol. Just lost another level fucking 6 one-star character to a level 51 hater on floor 2. WHY IS THIS A THING

Haters are set to the highest tier character you've purchased. If they're the YTY npc guys, they're fully decked out in appropriate-tier gear and leveled close to max, if they're a player's character, they have whatever was equipped, which can range from naked to even higher tier equipment.

That's why it's not a good idea to just fumble your way up to higher tiers like some people are doing if you arent going to be able to handle that with a new character.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
How comfortable has everyone been playing with the various fighter types?

So far strikers and collectors seem to be the standouts to me although I would like to delve into the other types but they just don't seem worth it

I made a grade 3 attacker but the hp was so low that I was constantly in danger of getting killed in 2 or 3 hits. I know gear plays a role but it was basically a death sentence now that I've moved into the 20s

I'd love to make a shooter but you seem to get more bang for your buck with melee weapons. Just knowing a long range weapon is next to useless once you run out of ammo just sounds like you're going to want to go out with 6 or 7 guns every time you start a run plus 1 or 2 melee weapons as back up. Enemies are also real assholes about just standing there and blocking your shots.

Shooter has proven to be quite powerful at Gr4. I imagine I will attempt to push with him. Stat wise, Shooter is closer to Striker, but Striker is NOT close to Shooter. What I mean is that the Shooter has OK STR growth and amazing DEX growth. Striker has amazing STR and poor DEX growth. So really, Shooter is like playing a Striker with a bunch of new weapons available to you.

The trade-off is mainly in the HP and STM department. The class shines with select Premium decals, so ideally you'd want to go bananas farming coins to stack the Shooter specific decals. Having said that:

• Magnum is great because you can do full damage to a blocking enemy thanks to one of it's mastery tiers.
  • Firework Launchers are not terrible once you level them up. They do a good job of breaking armor.
  • Nail Guns also break armor, are rapid fire, and are relatively easy to level up.
  • Sniper head shots are insane. Slowshroom + damage boost mushroom + sniper = easy boss kills.
  • Assault Rifles are your bread and butter. They have awesome power and allow you to keep a safe distance.
  • The Pitching Machine is stupid strong but SHINES when using an ammo shroom. Another boss killer.
  • You have immediate access to Katanas. The L2 combo is one of the best counters in the game in that it will punish nearly every single enemy in the game. It's amazing.

However, you almost never want to bother with rage moves on your Shooter. They all tend to be terrible and wreck durability. The Welding Gun one is OK because it seals the enemy in place for a few seconds, but otherwise, I wouldn't bother with them. Also, carry around a Claw or two for those pesky high level haters. Poison punish, wait for them to puke, end them.

Shooter has grown to be my favorite class. I just need to get my Lucky Star out there to farm coins for those delicious Shooter specific decals.

Lol. Just lost another level fucking 6 one-star character to a level 51 hater on floor 2. WHY IS THIS A THING

You'll learn how to deal with them eventually. Be happy you're dying on F2 where salvage costs are low. If you're having trouble punishing, learn to perfect parry. Also, Fist rage move will knock them down and give you a chance to pummel them freely.

big_z

any benefit to sending guys out on longer expeditions? I've done 1 to 12 hour expeditions and it doesn't seem to bring in anything fancier the longer they are out.

Toma

any benefit to sending guys out on longer expeditions? I've done 1 to 12 hour expeditions and it doesn't seem to bring in anything fancier the longer they are out.

I think the kill coin/splithium rewards are marginally higher, but yeah, definitely better rewards if you sent them out hourly constantly.

Shooter has proven to be quite powerful at Gr4. I imagine I will attempt to push with him. Stat wise, Shooter is closer to Striker, but Striker is NOT close to Shooter. What I mean is that the Shooter has OK STR growth and amazing DEX growth. Striker has amazing STR and poor DEX growth. So really, Shooter is like playing a Striker with a bunch of new weapons available to you.

The trade-off is mainly in the HP and STM department. The class shines with select Premium decals, so ideally you'd want to go bananas farming coins to stack the Shooter specific decals. Having said that:

• Magnum is great because you can do full damage to a blocking enemy thanks to one of it's mastery tiers.
  • Firework Launchers are not terrible once you level them up. They do a good job of breaking armor.
  • Nail Guns also break armor, are rapid fire, and are relatively easy to level up.
  • Sniper head shots are insane. Slowshroom + damage boost mushroom + sniper = easy boss kills.
  • Assault Rifles are your bread and butter. They have awesome power and allow you to keep a safe distance.
  • The Pitching Machine is stupid strong but SHINES when using an ammo shroom. Another boss killer.
  • You have immediate access to Katanas. The L2 combo is one of the best counters in the game in that it will punish nearly every single enemy in the game. It's amazing.

However, you almost never want to bother with rage moves on your Shooter. They all tend to be terrible and wreck durability. The Welding Gun one is OK because it seals the enemy in place for a few seconds, but otherwise, I wouldn't bother with them. Also, carry around a Claw or two for those pesky high level haters. Poison punish, wait for them to puke, end them.

Shooter has grown to be my favorite class. I just need to get my Lucky Star out there to farm coins for those delicious Shooter specific decals.

You'll learn how to deal with them eventually. Be happy you're dying on F2 where salvage costs are low. If you're having trouble punishing, learn to perfect parry. Also, Fist rage move will knock them down and give you a chance to pummel them freely.

What do you mean L2 combo? Are weapon moves different in the left hand?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
What do you mean L2 combo? Are weapon moves different in the left hand?

Two handed weapons have different attacks. R2 tends to be the slower and more deliberate attack. Use it when you are 99% sure you'll hit. The L2 is typically the zoning move. Spears is the thrust, Axe/Katana/Pickaxe is the slash.

Volcynika

Any recommendations for the upper 20s? I know that you
have the option of fighting Jin-Die or Coen
, just wondering which path might be easier.

Baliis

Personally I found
Coen
easier because
I killed him before my slow shroom wore off just spamming attacks with the saber. Jin-die I didn't quite kill and she managed to tele away and be a total pain to finish off the last like 10%

Toma

Coen is basically the same fight with more HP/damage, still pretty easy.

Toma

No new patterns?

Yeah, he sometimes charges straight forward at you if you stand too long in one spot (not only after the radar search move). If you are careful about not standing too long in front of him, it should be fine.

Volcynika

Yeah, he sometimes charges straight forward at you if you stand too long in one spot (not only after the radar search move). If you are careful about not standing too long in front of him, it should be fine.

Yeah, another friend said he will probably one-shot me with anything but maybe the one-two punch, so to play it very safe.

hbkdx12

Thanks for the tips. Is there any good decals to look out for? I gave up for a while on mushroom stew because i kept getting crap but now that im higher up i may give it a shot again

Wait wait wait, you're telling me
Jin-Die
shows up again?! FFS. Is the option to know which one you're fighting easily discernable?

Volcynika

Thanks for the tips. Is there any good decals to look out for? I gave up for a while on mushroom stew because i kept getting crap but now that im higher up i may give it a shot again

Wait wait wait, you're telling me
Jin-Die
shows up again?! FFS. Is the option to know which one you're fighting easily discernable?

When I
fought Jin-DIe, there are four pillars in the room at least. I have not see Coen's boss room though.
I think
She is always in Shimomo or something, can't remember the name.

Baliis

Maybe a dumb question, but can he hear you through the invisibility shroom? I've assumed so and always used slowshrooms on him but idk.

ObsidianG

I am still at G3 rank 19, but I have had quite a good luck with Jin Die and the floor 13 Nokejiri gold chest, so I would definitely second using the AR (mine is at R2+4 right now) even for non-shooter classes! It does an amazing job at shredding armor for my collector, then I switch to my long sword for mobs, or my steel axe for bosses who get too close!

I hope this combo will still be viable for floors 21-30, because I can't upgrade my Iron until floors 31+ to the death burner iron. I have found candol wolf gear to be not only my favorite thematically, but also the easiest to upgrade so far.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
FLOORS above 20 are too hard :/

Here's what I've been telling people. It all clicked with me the other day.

Remember when you started the game on F1 and you were being extra careful, picking things up as you went, going back to the waiting room every second you could, equipping anything you could just to get by?

That's how you need to treat every 10 floors.

F11+ is the same thing, but the jump in difficulty wasn't as extreme because you were able to offset some of your lack of upgrades with high mastery levels (that you may or may not have farmed). Gear upgrades were a big deal, too. Most enemies had limited armor prior to F11, so your +1/+2 weapon felt like Game Genie. You were still picking things up and equipping whatever, but the damage scaling was toned down.

F21+ is where the game decides to throw you back to the F1 wolves. Your 2* weapons and 2* gear are necessary to scavenge your way to safety. Finding a full set of 3* armor makes you feel like a god for a bit, going back to your 2* roots of being able to get smacked repeatedly and not care too much. 3* weapons chew through your enemies.

However, the big difference here is that now you need to start farming for mats and BPs. You NEED to spend some time running those gold chest routes if you've got any hope of surviving on the regular. As an example, I finally got my Priest Legs to 3*, and the defense exploded (228 I think is the fresh 3* version). You didn't need to deal with that grind prior to the 20's because skill and common mats made up for it. Love it or hate it, the stuff you need to farm now are the mats.

My suggestion to you (and anyone who has hit this wall) is to run 21 -> 22 KAWABE for the trap room gold chest -> 23 elevator out. Kill everything you can on the way, pick up as much gear as you can hold (swapping for mats you need of course). Send out your expeditions (11-20 seem to give more invis shrooms). Keep running this loop until you have the mats needed to craft a piece or two of 3* gear.

Most importantly - remember the power of the mushrooms. Invis shrooms are life savers. Time slow shrooms make shitty situations a breeze. Stamina shrooms help for when you're overwhelmed and need to RUN. Decoy shrooms redirect all that hate. Sleep/shock/tear gas/brain shrooms are all ways to give yourself a free opening. Live snails planted near the action will poison HATERS causing them to throw up and giving you an AMAZING opening (same with claws and poison shrooms).

There are SO many ways to mitigate the difficulty of 21+, but you haven't had to use these options up until now, so it feels unfair and harsh. You will probably need to farm and grind a bit, but that's OK. Expeditions will help with a LOT of the food related issues - the rest is on you to explore and dance through.

Is there any reason to keep all this scratch metal I have in my vault? I'm only at floor 11 right now.

100% yes. As my post above states, you're going to need to farm and upgrade your gear to 3*. That Scratch metal will be necessary for some of the upgrades and you'll hate yourself for dumping it when you're in need.

if you have space why not?

I'm not sure that I do though. It's probably taking up half my vault right now and I don't have any blueprints that need them. Should I just get rid of them for now, or is something coming down the line soon (ie a blueprint) to justify keeping them?

EDIT:

100% yes. As my post above states, you're going to need to farm and upgrade your gear to 3*. That Scratch metal will be necessary for some of the upgrades and you'll hate yourself for dumping it when you're in need.

Ah ok cool! I still have some room in the vault to expand so maybe I'll focus on that first.

tariniel

This game is pretty addicting. I made it to floor 14 after starting the game on Friday last week, then I died horribly there and had to use another character to farm some kill coins to buy that character back. I've already had so much enjoyment from this that I think I'll be spending some money soon to support the game.

For general progression, what type of character is preferred? All-Rounder? I've been using a Striker but the max HP on that character is pretty low and its bag only has 19 slots. I'm considering starting over with a fresh grade 2 character and leaving that maxed one to do expeditions since the health is really troublesome for me.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
This game is pretty addicting. I made it to floor 14 after starting the game on Friday last week, then I died horribly there and had to use another character to farm some kill coins to buy that character back. I've already had so much enjoyment from this that I think I'll be spending some money soon to support the game.

For general progression, what type of character is preferred? All-Rounder? I've been using a Striker but the max HP on that character is pretty low and its bag only has 19 slots. I'm considering starting over with a fresh grade 2 character and leaving that maxed one to do expeditions since the health is really troublesome for me.

Striker and Shooter. They each have a specialty and cater towards your play style. I wouldn't suggest Shooter until you have the Assault Rifle, Firework Launcher, and Magnum BP, though.

E: Whatever you do, don't try and play with an Attacker. They have high damage but VERY low HP. If you find yourself getting hit a lot and need more of an HP buffer, consider making a Defender. I ran a Defender for a while; you're able to take a beating. You don't hit as hard as the other classes, but it only takes 2-3 more hits to kill enemies. Alternatively, use HP and Stamina decals on your Striker.

I did dumb things last night.

I spent 6 DMs on my way to retrieve a haterified fighter. Whats wrong with me?

I spent like 18 DMs right at the beginning of the game cause I thought "they gave me this much in the beginning, there's gotta be a steady stream of them". I haven't used another one since.

Demoskinos

Are katanas 30+? I really really want to find the blueprints. I think I might make a G5 shooter next.

Hoping to get a full roster of grade 5 fighters soon.

tariniel

That post above about leveling masteries/gear for floors 20+ is kind of scary, I'm doing exactly what he said right now, as in I'm just picking up and using whatever I find and not putting much thought into it at floor 14. Perhaps I need to do some research and start planning... right now I really like the Iron and Hammer but no idea if they are worth specializing in.

I have had quite a good luck with Jin Die and the floor 13 Nokejiri gold chest

Can someone elaborate on what that means? There's a chest on floor 13?

Baliis

Can someone elaborate on what that means? There's a chest on floor 13?

Certain floors have a room with a chest when it that when opened, you get attacked by enemies. These chests tend to drop one of the rare metals you need to upgrade weapons and armor to higher levels. Each set of 10 floors is color coded blue -> green -> black > red. Normally, you'd kill bosses for these metals,
Coen
for DOD arms,
jin-die
for war ensemble,
goto
for candle wolf, and
u10
for MILK. The (spoiler for boss location/names in case people don't wanna see um)
level 3 Coen
drops blue DOD arms metal for example,
floor 6 jin-die
drops blue war ensemble, but
floor 16 jin-die
drops green war ensemble metal.

However, all of the mid bosses aren't on each floor set. If you want
MILK black metal
, there isn't a boss for it in 21-30, so you need to farm the gold chests on floor 22/28. It's not quite as important at 1-20 because you don't need a metal for every R&D, but in 21+ for 3 star items you need 1-2 metals of not more for every one.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Some dude set up 9 shooters to defend his base. When the 9th showed up I had only 200HP left and went to attack one of the containers and barely made a dent with one combo. Ran away to the train while getting riddled with bullets. I barely got away with 12 hp...that was insane man. Need to equip shooters for defense.

Baliis

Some dude set up 9 shooters to defend his base. When the 9th showed up I had only 200HP left and went to attack one of the containers and barely made a dent with one combo. Ran away to the train while getting riddled with bullets. I barely got away with 12 hp...

Lol, what guns were they using? Were you fully geared? I always make sure to have a life shroom on and carry a couple health items and a slowshroom just in case. It's such a pain for me to lose a raid if I screw up because I'm in gold now, it can take me an entire day to get the points I lost back. Seriously, there's like no one in silver+ that's ever raidable lol, I have to scrounge the occasional 800+ person for 1 point at a time.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Lol, what guns were they using? Were you fully geared? I always make sure to have a life shroom on and carry a couple health items and a slowshroom just in case. It's such a pain for me to lose a raid if I screw up because I'm in gold now, it can take me an entire day to get the points I lost back. Seriously, there's like no one in silver+ that's ever raidable lol, I have to scrounge the occasional 800+ person for 1 point at a time.
All assault rifles. And was fully geared, had a couple mushrooms and health items. Had used them all by the 9 guy.

Finally made another attempt on Floor 23 boss again. Got it to about 1/4th when all my weapons were broken and it killed my Snail (I'm utilizing the Poison Eater and wow, what a game changer that was).

But without those, and my punches doing like no DMG, I was annihilated shortly after. Frustrating, but I think I know now for sure what I need to do to win, going to go after it again tonight!

Baliis

All assault rifles. And was fully geared, had a couple mushrooms and health items. Had used them all by the 9 guy.

Geez, usually the assault rifle just kinda tickles me, but idk if I've ever seen anyone actually use an upgraded one. Usually the only thing that gives me problems is the saber, sometimes you can just get stun locked for like 6 hits in a row, it's weird.

hbkdx12

Finally made another attempt on Floor 23 boss again. Got it to about 1/4th when all my weapons were broken and it killed my Snail (I'm utilizing the Poison Eater and wow, what a game changer that was).

But without those, and my punches doing like no DMG, I was annihilated shortly after. Frustrating, but I think I know now for sure what I need to do to win, going to go after it again tonight!

If you haven't already, upgrading the red hot iron as far as you can go until you get gated with mats you don't have access to is the way to go. I'm up to floor 25 and with everyone having armor, using the iron just makes these guys easy work.

It works super well against goto as well. I brought 2 irons with full mastery and my machete with full mastery and it was pretty easy to deal with her.

Yeah, but the def boost is insaaaaane.

It's such a great feeling to be able to regularly make the items you need as opposed to hoping one drops.

True. I also unlocked the next tier for the sengoku helmet and that's 10k as well. I think now may be the first time where i start to feel the F2P grind as far as money goes.

If you haven't already, upgrading the red hot iron as far as you can go until you get gated with mats you don't have access to is the way to go. I'm up to floor 25 and with everyone having armor, using the iron just makes these guys easy work.

It works super well against goto as well. I brought 2 irons with full mastery and my machete with full mastery and it was pretty easy to deal with her.

Thanks! I actually didn't get the blueprint for the Iron until really recently (never dropped in my initial explorations of 1-10) so it's not developed at all. I might just go back and get that up to speed, since I see it lauded here so often.

Toma

Btw, what the hell is up with 85% of the player base being from California. At least thats the stats for people raiding me.

What should I be doing before I log off? I have a full Death Bag after making it through the second floor, but I don't know if it's safe to quit the game or whatever. What do I do with R&D materials?

Top Bottom