• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let It Die |OT| F2P roguelike Dark Souls with a skateboarding skeleton

hbkdx12

Wait what's the advantage to sending out characters on longer expeditions? I never knew you could do that.

I don't think there is a discernible one. A lot of people on reddit believe the same as well. I've had 12 hr expeditions with very similar rewards as 1 hr expeditions. The only time i send my characters out for anything longer than an hr is when i go offline.

audio_delay

Neo Member
Wait what's the advantage to sending out characters on longer expeditions? I never knew you could do that.

Not sure, but i am off to work in an hour, so I'll try to send my cooled guys to okusa! trying to grab some gold snails and bronze mushrooms for 12h each. Hopefully it will make some difference in how much they can collect in the time.

BTW Okusa is up.

Apathy

and i'm done. it was fun till my level 7 had a level 24 hater on floor 3come after her and died in like 4 hits. that's dumb as fuck. there needs to be a limit

I don't think there is a discernible one. A lot of people on reddit believe the same as well. I've had 12 hr expeditions with very similar rewards as 1 hr expeditions. The only time i send my characters out for anything longer than an hr is when i go offline.
My theory is that they stay out as long as they're not killed. Or perhaps it's just until they encounter the other player and die, or kill them. So for example, if you send them out for 12 hours and they never encounter the player, they might come back with more stuff than if they encounter the player in 30 minutes and die. But even if they died within 30 minutes, they won't return on their own until the 12 hours is up. That's my theory at least from the little experience I have.

The elevator behind the two locked gates on 27 is such bullshit lol. Basically took everything I had to get to that point, and then had to backtrack all the way to the elevator I started at.

Wtf at the difference in stats between Special Forces' Beret E and Captain's Beret, from 60 defense to 248?!! o_O Are all the form 3 upgrades this drastic?

Captain's Beret is technically an upper tier 3 star. You can tell because it needs red material compared to black material

Apathy

It only gets worse lol

yup, i've been reading up on people saying level 50 haters at the lowest levels, fuck that. if they ever fix that i might come back to it, as it is the game lost me. Theres a difference between something being hard and something being completely unfair, this is completely unfair.

and i'm done. it was fun till my level 7 had a level 24 hater on floor 3come after her and died in like 4 hits. that's dumb as fuck. there needs to be a limit

when you go to grade 5 you can meet level 125 fully geared hater on floor 3 with your naked level 1 ;p

not that they are much of a problem

Baliis

yup, i've been reading up on people saying level 50 haters at the lowest levels, fuck that. if they ever fix that i might come back to it, as it is the game lost me. Theres a difference between something being hard and something being completely unfair, this is completely unfair.

There's nothing broken about it. Haters spawn at the appropriate tier of character you have and there's tons of ways to deal with them, if they don't just get themselves killed anyways. Even if you do just take them head on, every weapon in the game is super easy to dodge and counter attack against. Really the combat in this game just boils down to baiting an attack, and countering it. It works for every single enemy/weapon pretty much,

Lucent

So I sent 4 or 5 characters on expeditions to try and get invisible mushrooms for 12 hours. Didn't get a single one. =[

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...

Always have a sleeping shroom/bomb shroom at hand, and carefully sneak into new areas. If you see a hater at your level, defeat him, if he is higher than you, fight him with shrooms or retreat and go back to base to start again/upgrade stuff. There are many ways to make progress.

Syysch

There's nothing broken about it. Haters spawn at the appropriate tier of character you have and there's tons of ways to deal with them, if they don't just get themselves killed anyways. Even if you do just take them head on, every weapon in the game is super easy to dodge and counter attack against. Really the combat in this game just boils down to baiting an attack, and countering it. It works for every single enemy/weapon pretty much,

Yep, the only time it becomes an issue is when you speed up fighter tiers without keeping your equipment up to date. I'm running into level 100-140 haters on my level 1s, but dont really run into issues (unless it's also with 2-3 other guys at the same time) because i grab some r&d gear that their base stats can handle (or munch a couple lizards or something for a few hundred exp for a quick few levels for a str/etc bump for gear). Running new characters out naked after t3 is just asking to die to a geared hater.

Unfortunately you probably aren't done, this game is worse than coccaine. If you can manage to stay away, that might be the best for you. Save yourself while you can, it's too late for us!

Demoskinos

Yeah honestly defense is a fair waste of time mostly. Once you get endgame and get a fully decked out roster maybe might be worth it but I'm usually going into people's bases and killing most people's defenders with one hit from my +3 Pork Choppers.

At least with expedition you are guaranteed rewards. I might focus on defense for the trophy eventually no rush though. :)

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Yeah honestly defense is a fair waste of time mostly. Once you get endgame and get a fully decked out roster maybe might be worth it but I'm usually going into people's bases and killing most people's defenders with one hit from my +3 Pork Choppers.

At least with expedition you are guaranteed rewards. I might focus on defense for the trophy eventually no rush though. :)

Thats the thing though, defense will be much harder on grade 5, as you will have more people raiding you with far better stuff than you have. Grade 4 seems a good time to grind the defense achievement with cleaver sabers.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Thats the thing though, defense will be much harder on grade 5, as you will have more people raiding you with far better stuff than you have. Grade 4 seems a good time to grind the defense achievement with cleaver sabers.

My plan is to defend once I hit grade 5 with a room of Defenders in max slash resist gear. Give them an Iron or a Sword. Toss in a max Shooter or two for when they can't take the Defender down...

Speculation of course. That's going to be my plan.

Toma

My plan is to defend once I hit grade 5 with a room of Defenders in max slash resist gear. Give them an Iron or a Sword. Toss in a max Shooter or two for when they can't take the Defender down...

Speculation of course. That's going to be my plan.

My grade 4 defense is running pretty well atm, and I dont want to imagine the time needed to level and coins needed to equip those chars at grade 5 :-x Best of luck though!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
My grade 4 defense is running pretty well atm, and I dont want to imagine the time needed to level and coins needed to equip those chars at grade 5 :-x Best of luck though!

I have a TON of Golden Snails. Hopefully that will help!

E: They NEED to fix these loading times. Everything I do in the Waiting Room feels like a chore.

Grinchy

Banned
Are the quests that tell you to ascend from the 1st floor to the 2nd floor while doing something bugged or am I doing something wrong? I grabbed the one for killing all enemies without dodging and the one for doing it without armor. I killed all enemies on the 1st floor without any armor and without dodging and then went up the escalator to the 2nd floor. The quest didn't trigger as being done.

Is it just worded in a weird way and it actually means to beat both floors?

Demoskinos

Are the quests that tell you to ascend from the 1st floor to the 2nd floor while doing something bugged or am I doing something wrong? I grabbed the one for killing all enemies without dodging and the one for doing it without armor. I killed all enemies on the 1st floor without any armor and without dodging and then went up the escalator to the 2nd floor. The quest didn't trigger as being done.

Did a Hater kill any enemies? If a hater kills any enemy that also disqualifies you.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like

Those sort of quests are nearly impossible to complete right now because Haters are aggressive towards anything that moves and if they manage to kill even a single NPC enemy before you kill the Hater than the Quest fails.

So for now until they change/fix this I would skip all Quests that say Kill all enemies from Floor X to Floor X while meeting X requirement.

Grinchy

Banned
Did a Hater kill any enemies? If a hater kills any enemy that also disqualifies you.

shiiiiiit, yeah I bet it did. Both times I attempted it, there was a hater on the floor

Well I guess I won't bother with those quests again because there seems to always be a hater around lol

I thought those would be some nice, easy quests :(

Demoskinos

shiiiiiit, yeah I bet it did. Both times I attempted it, there was a hater on the floor

Well I guess I won't bother with those quests again because there seems to always be a hater around lol

Yup sadly that part of the equation makes those quests a real fucking hassle because there are some maps where a hater will spawn and kill screamers before you even have time to intervene.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
My hopes for the next patch:

• Significantly improved loading times between floors and menus.
  • Fix the textures not loading glitch. Nothing says "fuck you" like an unloaded Katana smack to your face!
  • Allow sorting by name in your storage.
  • Increased storage capacity beyond 500.
  • Fix quest completion issue - I'm nearly positive it's not a bug but an oversight.
  • Fix the 5* durability issue.
  • Coen bug on F34 (something about mushrooms and causing him to glitch out).
  • GOTO slippery slime bug (slipping on slime after GOTO dies can cause an infinite loop of being stuck).
  • Falling through the world/getting stuck on geometry needs addressed
The quest thing is probably a simple fix. They just need to make sure that Hater and environmental/DOT kills simply reduce the number of enemies you need to kill instead of penalizing you for them. This goes for clearing floors AND for weapon specific kills.

The inventory sorting is a must. How they didn't include that at first is beyond me. Expanding beyond 500 seems excessive, but I'm at 450 because of all the shrooms I like to keep on hand and ready. I'd love to not worry about that.

The BIGGEST thing that needs to be fixed are load times. I timed it today. ~12 seconds to refresh the list for Expeditions. For my 8 extra dudes to go on expeditions, it's 12 seconds per list + 10 seconds to engage. It doesn't sound like a lot, but considering you will likely need to refresh the list a few times to see a floor you want, and it takes ~7 minutes to send a full roster out. It's annoying.

On top of that, loading the rewards box, storage, and shop dialog take 10-15 seconds minimum, too. TDM loading has taken me upwards of 45 seconds. Floor loading is equally bad. I have a fantastic internet connection, so it's absolutely server related. Fuck that.

Unrelated, does anyone know if you can store materials on fighters in your freezer and still use them for crafting? Like if I wanted to put all my Cotton on a Collector and use him solely for expeditions, can I access all 30+ Cotton he has on him, or do I need to transfer that to my bank to use it again?

Kyari

I complained about this just a few days after the game came out and was told to "git gud" by the thread lol :/

Its definitely an issue, I almost never get through floor 1 without a level 50. And every player seems to be using machetes so almost all of the Haters have them at this point and they're a pain.

My hopes for the next patch:

• Significantly improved loading times between floors and menus.
  • Fix the textures not loading glitch. Nothing says "fuck you" like an unloaded Katana smack to your face!
  • Allow sorting by name in your storage.
  • Increased storage capacity beyond 500.
  • Fix quest completion issue - I'm nearly positive it's not a bug but an oversight.
  • Fix the 5* durability issue.
  • Coen bug on F34 (something about mushrooms and causing him to glitch out).
  • GOTO slippery slime bug (slipping on slime after GOTO dies can cause an infinite loop of being stuck).
  • Falling through the world/getting stuck on geometry needs addressed
The quest thing is probably a simple fix. They just need to make sure that Hater and environmental/DOT kills simply reduce the number of enemies you need to kill instead of penalizing you for them. This goes for clearing floors AND for weapon specific kills.

The inventory sorting is a must. How they didn't include that at first is beyond me. Expanding beyond 500 seems excessive, but I'm at 450 because of all the shrooms I like to keep on hand and ready. I'd love to not worry about that.

The BIGGEST thing that needs to be fixed are load times. I timed it today. ~12 seconds to refresh the list for Expeditions. For my 8 extra dudes to go on expeditions, it's 12 seconds per list + 10 seconds to engage. It doesn't sound like a lot, but considering you will likely need to refresh the list a few times to see a floor you want, and it takes ~7 minutes to send a full roster out. It's annoying.

On top of that, loading the rewards box, storage, and shop dialog take 10-15 seconds minimum, too. TDM loading has taken me upwards of 45 seconds. Floor loading is equally bad. I have a fantastic internet connection, so it's absolutely server related. Fuck that.

Unrelated, does anyone know if you can store materials on fighters in your freezer and still use them for crafting? Like if I wanted to put all my Cotton on a Collector and use him solely for expeditions, can I access all 30+ Cotton he has on him, or do I need to transfer that to my bank to use it again?

sadly no

The layout of the first floor changes, but the area the hater stays at is always the same (the area with the yellow things), so avoid him and just finish the first floor.

When you first level up put all of your points into STR (or DEX if you have a gunner), once that's maxed out you should be able to take out the hater even though its 50, 70, or even 110 levels above you with a decent weapon. Just a matter of dodging the attacks.

As long as you take it slow through the first 3 floors, there really isnt a situation where a hater gets the drop on you. Just something you pick up with practice

I complained about this just a few days after the game came out and was told to "git gud" by the thread lol :/

Its definitely an issue, I almost never get through floor 1 without a level 50. And every player seems to be using machetes so almost all of the Haters have them at this point and they're a pain.

You'll see machetes so much that they'll become the easiest weapon to handle once you learn the attack pattern. I always wait for the jumping attack before going in, the combat knives are a bit trickier because there's no obvious attack that leaves them wide open.

audio_delay

Neo Member

Both floors iirc. It is just badly worded.

tariniel

I spent 5 hours last night just randomly farming materials. I spent a lot of time doing the raiding too to farm SPL and upgrade my bank/fighter slots. This game is just fun.

I'm only on floor 14 max still though. Is there a certain armor set I should be trying to upgrade? Right now I'm mostly trying to upgrade my weapons (Iron, Hammer, Machete are my weapons of choice at the moment).

I'd say right now the only thing that's somewhat annoying is loading times.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I spent 5 hours last night just randomly farming materials. I spent a lot of time doing the raiding too to farm SPL and upgrade my bank/fighter slots. This game is just fun.

I'm only on floor 14 max still though. Is there a certain armor set I should be trying to upgrade? Right now I'm mostly trying to upgrade my weapons (Iron, Hammer, Machete are my weapons of choice at the moment).

I'd say right now the only thing that's somewhat annoying is loading times.
Priest set has great stats and I haven't even gotten to +4 with it.

One of the best things about the game is all weapons are viable.

Haven't had this much fun with an axe since Demon's Souls and my +5 Dragon Greataxe

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
One of the best things about the game is all weapons are viable.

Haven't had this much fun with an axe since Demon's Souls and my +5 Dragon Greataxe

Yeah, very few weapons are terrible. Crossbow is about the only weapon that I've yet to really feel is worth my time. I'm almost 20 on all the weapons I currently have access to (working on Welding Gun now), and everything else has a good purpose. I didn't love spear at first, but the L2 combo is AMAZING at closing the cap.

hbkdx12

Grinding for black metals is awful.

This is the first time that i've grinded in this game, and i've done a lot of it, but felt like it was an absolute chore. I'm mainly alternating between 23f goto and the chest in kawabe. Goto, although easy, is super tanky and it's just a lot of running in circles that after a while my head starts to hurt and getting to the chest in kawabe can be frustrating as the layout is always different

I also think i've run into this "black metal cooldown" that people were mentioning on the other page. After 4 black metals the game just stops giving them out. Imagine my frustration when goto suddenly decided to drop a steel axe or me go all the way to kawabe and find an iron in the chest. smh. I don't think i've experienced this with any other mats

Toma

Grinding for black metals is awful.

This is the first time that i've grinded in this game, and i've done a lot of it, but felt like it was an absolute chore. I'm mainly alternating between 23f goto and the chest in kawabe. Goto, although easy, is super tanky and it's just a lot of running in circles that after a while my head starts to hurt and getting to the chest in kawabe can be frustrating as the layout is always different

I also think i've run into this "black metal cooldown" that people were mentioning on the other page. After 4 black metals the game just stops giving them out. Imagine my frustration when goto suddenly decided to drop a steel axe or me go all the way to kawabe and find an iron in the chest. smh. I don't think i've experienced this with any other mats

Yeah, but I actually like that the game had me come up with other solutions to that dilemma. Random black metals meant I was upgrading some other elements that I didnt before, giving me a wide arsenal. On top of that, I started sending more fighters on exploration routes and while base black metals are enough to handle the floor enemies, I can grab some great weapons from the exploration/people dropping them while raiding me and repair them with fun fungi that I got from the exploration trips for boss fights.

hbkdx12

Yeah, but I actually like that the game had me come up with other solutions to that dilemma. Random black metals meant I was upgrading some other elements that I didnt before, giving me a wide arsenal. On top of that, I started sending more fighters on exploration routes and while base black metals are enough to handle the floor enemies, I can grab some great weapons from the exploration/people dropping them while raiding me and repair them with fun fungi that I got from the exploration trips for boss fights.

The expeditions have also become another point of frustration for me. I know about sending your fighters to certain floors to get better shrooms and stuff but the best thing i get from these expeditions has been honeycombs and punchshrooms. I appreciate the honeycombs but the punchshrooms have been pretty useless to me although it was funny the first time i ate one thinking it was meant to increase your punching power lol. I've yet to find a cloak shroom. I've probably seen like 5 in all my hours of playing and that was from just randomly finding them in the wild. I'm not sitting on a treasure trove of cloak shrooms like other people

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
The expeditions have also become another point of frustration for me. I know about sending your fighters to certain floors to get better shrooms and stuff but the best thing i get from these expeditions has been honeycombs and punchshrooms. I appreciate the honeycombs but the punchshrooms have been pretty useless to me although it was funny the first time i ate one thinking it was meant to increase your punching power lol. I've yet to find a cloak shroom. I've probably seen like 5 in all my hours of playing and that was from just randomly finding them in the wild. I'm not sitting on a treasure trove of cloak shrooms like other people

Cloak shrooms = expedition in the 15-19 range.

NeoRausch

Soooo....
What do the different colors on the connection lines between floors mean?

And I got one Elevator that is:

1. Alone. It's just the "pay to ride"-elevator, not the ticket one.

2. Totally not in line with all the other elevators in the middle

3. Super duper locked up. I can see the unlock box, but I can't use it.

What's up with that?

cakely

Ug, I didn't realize that you unlocked tier 3 characters at floor 16. I have some serious grinding to do now.

What floor do tier 4 characters unlock?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Ug, I didn't realize that you unlocked tier 3 characters at floor 16. I have some serious grinding to do now.

What floor do tier 4 characters unlock?

F25 is grade 4. F35 is grade 5.

Soooo....
What do the different colors on the connection lines between floors mean?

And I got one Elevator that is:

1. Alone. It's just the "pay to ride"-elevator, not the ticket one.

2. Totally not in line with all the other elevators in the middle

3. Super duper locked up. I can see the unlock box, but I can't use it.

What's up with that?

There are side route elevators that you'll unlock as you go. Make sure you "activate" them when you see them so that you can link the floors up when you find the later ones.

Top Bottom