• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let It Die |OT| F2P roguelike Dark Souls with a skateboarding skeleton

yume_2501

does the layout of KAWABE (22F) change? i was looking for the gold chest y'all speak of but couldn't find it. anyone able to find it with this current configuration?
It Change everytime You go on that floor from the waiting room even after few minutes

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
You intend to farm and max out gear or fighters you think? Build a perfect defense?

Yup, the game will continue at one point, so it wont hurt to have better equip by then.

I did my first run of the 30F boss yesterday.

Rolled a 4 on the dice
, so got one Hater only to fight, and it was a low level one so I rekt him in one hit.

Then the boss appeared, I 3-shotted him with
the Motor Psycho rage move

And I got a Candle Wolf Black Metal out of the chest.

Damn BOI, that was easy AF, didn't even get hit :D Not that I'm complaining though...

Mutombo

So... how is the game? How'd you rate it compared to other grasshopper games, how would you rate it compared to souls games?

I mean, I suppose it's allright since this thread is still really active, but can someone give me a gist?

OMG I raped 26 F Jin Die so bad . . . and got more War Ensemble BM. RNGesus, hear my prayer. MLK next time, ok???

That would be one hell of a RNG roll, considering Jin-Die only ever drops War Ensemble. Each boss only ever drops one type of metal. :)

Also I'm a bit yucked by your choice of words in the sentence above...

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
What floor do those pop up in?

Guardshrooms? I run expeditions on 31-34 and come back with them regularly now. I've seen 2-3 Funshrooms, so I know they come up in this range, but I suspect they are 33 or 34+.

E: Also, raising TDM rank is so fucking slow. I get 1-5 points per raid. Is there a way to pick someone who I know will give me more points?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
So... how is the game? How'd you rate it compared to other grasshopper games, how would you rate it compared to souls games?

I mean, I suppose it's allright since this thread is still really active, but can someone give me a gist?

Souls games are obviously more polished and more intricately designed as LID is randomized, but its a pretty fucking fantastic game. Will after Last Guardian my favourite game of the year and is one of the most fun videogame experiences I had i the past 5 years. The game isnt really comparable to DS, but its just stupidly fun. If you want a hard Suda Style game with tons of stuff to do and secrets to uncover, its a blast.

Syysch

does the layout of KAWABE (22F) change? i was looking for the gold chest y'all speak of but couldn't find it. anyone able to find it with this current configuration?

It's there every single time in every single rotation, so if you didnt find it, pop open the map and look for a path you didnt go down (the big rooms i think always have 3 exits, you may not have gotten close enough to one of them to see that there's a path branching off). Treasure hunter decal makes it faster to farm as you can see the chest and gate switch icons on top of each other away from everything else to know where it is before searching every path.

Guardshrooms? I run expeditions on 31-34 and come back with them regularly now. I've seen 2-3 Funshrooms, so I know they come up in this range, but I suspect they are 33 or 34+.

E: Also, raising TDM rank is so fucking slow. I get 1-5 points per raid. Is there a way to pick someone who I know will give me more points?

Guardshrooms and funshrooms are just all over in the 30s, I've gotten both on pretty much each floor, funshrooms are just super rare, i think more common on side paths.

You'll get more tdm points the closer to/higher than your points that the target is. It's 0-60 points per raid, 30 if they're your exact tdm points.

I honestly wouldnt compare it to souls games other than what i saw someone say in that this is what the chalice dungeons in bloodborne should have been. You may like it and have the patience for it if you like the souls games though. Go in expecting a roguelike dungeon crawler with a fair bit of grind, but I'm enjoying it a lot.

as LID is randomized

Can one really call LID randomized? Aside from item drops and what specific hater you get (not even hater locations, as they always spawn in the same places), everything else is preset. Not much more random than Souls' invasions. Sure, the floors rotate, but they rotate at fixed times into fixed configurations of fixed floors.

Syysch

Happy New Year, Senpais. My game is still not fixed!

What's it doing?

Can one really call LID randomized? Aside from item drops and what specific hater you get (not even hater locations, as they always spawn in the same places), everything else is preset. Not much more random than Souls' invasions. Sure, the floors rotate, but they rotate at fixed times into fixed configurations of fixed floors.

I think I'd consider it randomized layouts, it just doesnt have a large pool of possibilities for each floor. The tile linking of a floor is usually one of several/many different layouts (some floors keep the same layout with the escalator exits getting shuffled). There are specific potential spawn locations for items and enemies but they dont all populate the same each time, and haters dont always spawn in the same tile for a given floor (some of the floors they do).

Never played other grasshopper games and I love it. Its frustrating and annoying about as much as a Souls game. There are some wonky aspects to it as well. The art style and monster designs are interesting and creative. Think of it as a nu-apocalpytic urban wasteland. Oh and Uncle Death is awesome.

Some things I dislike, such as incredibly powerful haters and the raid mechanics are somewhat unfair. The levels can also get repetative at times and are really confusing above floor 10 (thats why we have gaf).

Baliis

TDM rank is for?

Your TDM rank is just basically what the highest grade character you have is, so it separates people into not having to fight someone with higher ranked people than them.

Your TDM points determine your bonus after a raid. At 1000 the bonus goes to 2000, 1500 it goes to 4000, 2000 it goes to 7000, and 3000 it goes to 10000.

Syysch

DBS error since the 12th of last month. Been in touch with support regularly regarding it but to no avail.

Gotcha, that sucks. I got that error a couple times when trying to raid certain people, but never got it to where it hits when trying to start the game like some people did. I didn't know it hadn't been fixed yet.

lionpants

Is there a way to tell which side of the door a lock is on? I'm getting real tired of sitting through a loading screen only to have to turn back.

I thought Lollipop Chainsaw and Killer is Dead were bad games and absolutely loved this.

It's free. Just download it and give it a try.

tariniel

Farming the 11f boss for candle wolf green is pretty dull. So many things need it. Ugh. I have the Longsword and Red Iron maxed for where I am, I just made it to 23F over the weekend. I'm working on upgrading some priest/sengoku pieces though which all still need that candle wolf green.

I nearly tried the 23F boss but decided to prepare a bit more. I'll probably go in there with a slowmungus even though I think I only have one.

I did hit 50 hours played already though which is kind of crazy. Addicting as hell. Although I bet at least 3-4 of those are idle in the waiting room since I didn't want to turn the game off and get invaded when I had a lot of coins.

If they could add better sorting (Alphabetical) and reduce load times, that would be so amazing.

Also I'd totally buy the Express Pass monthly sub if it came with like 1 kill coin a day daily or something. I don't really want it just for the elevator. I did already spend the $5 on the one-time purchase and might spend more for KC to expand storage eventually.

Toma

I would definitely consider it randomized, the level structure of LID (I love the game, if that wasnt clear :p) makes that really obvious, with transition halls that are frequently used for these type of randomized layouts. Sure, each floor has specific "areas", but the exact location of these areas and all elements in it being randomized is one of LIDs huge strengths, as it always keeps you on your toes. You cant carelessly run around the next corner, because it might be the spot with a hater nearby, etcetc. Smart stuff.

Toma

Any good begginer tutorial/tips?

Dont be afraid to walk back in the beginning when you think you got enough items/XP to make a trip back. Always learn how to properly use mushrooms, always experiment with weapon attacks and always bait an enemy into doing his first attack, then strike. Use some death metals to expand your storage. If you die below floor 20, just revive yourself with coins (not death metals) as its not terribly expensive. For boss fights bring shrooooms.

Exr

Up your unarmed mastery pronto, dont spend death metals on low level fighters, let enemies attack first and punish their recovery. Dont be afraid to spend kill coins on the elevator. Throw food into fires, always.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
  • Early on, you should level your Hammer, Iron, and Fists mastery. These three weapons will help you out tremendously for the first few floors (Iron and Fists will be especially helpful endgame, too).
  • Use mushrooms at will. They are expendable. The only ones worth holding onto for specific cases aren't found until much later in the game.
  • You can and cook every mushroom or beast you pick up. Use the touchpad to select the item by sliding back and forth. From there, press the left half of the touchpad to go into "throw mode" as indicated by the image on the bottom of the screen. Walk close enough to an open flame and the image will change to a dude roasting shrooms. Press the X to cook it. Viola! You now have a more potent version of the same item!
  • The AI is very easily exploited, especially in 1v1 situations. Bait the attack and punish.
  • You will eventually see high level Haters (quasi PvP enemies that are sent to attack you). Even if they have a significantly higher level than you, they aren't much different from a standard 1v1 encounter. Bait the attack and punish. Use shrooms on them accordingly (sleep shrooms and teargas shrooms are great early game items for this).
  • Use Death Metals to expand your storage, not to revive. At least not yet.
  • Of all the classes you eventually unlock, Striker, Shooter, and Defender are the three worth spending time on for general progression. The rest have niche uses - except the Attacker (he's pretty poo).

Weapon specific tips!

• Practice the 2H weapons you find as they tend to be the best for zoning tough enemies.
  • Rage moves (triangle + attack) will eat up your durability. They're great to use, but they shouldn't be your goto move. They unlock after a few levels of mastery in a weapon. The Fists rage move is amazing in that it knocks enemies down.
  • Some weapons will gain additional combo hits as you increase the mastery with it.
  • Fireworks Launcher isn't a great weapon for damage, but at higher mastery, it will be an excellent option to break enemy armor.
  • The Magnum is not a great damage dealer either, but at the higher mastery levels, you can deal full damage to a blocking enemy.
Other quick tips!
  • Pick up any and all materials you can carry. Crafting is HUGE part of this game.
  • Always wear something for armor. It's perfectly acceptable to wear whatever you find lying around (despite low durability). When you're naked you take a LOT more damage.
  • Lower durability means lower defensive and offensive stats. It's normal to notice that your weapons are doing less damage the closer they are to breaking.
  • Learn to perfect parry early on - tapping circle right as your enemy is about to hit you.
  • Ask specific questions. This game has a lot of systems to figure out. Many of us have already logged 100+ hours and would love to help new players.
  • You will open up the expedition system pretty early on. Always have fighters on expeditions as this will be your primary source of mushrooms and pillbugs.

Is there a way to tell which side of the door a lock is on? I'm getting real tired of sitting through a loading screen only to have to turn back.

I don't think so and it's really annoying. Especially because of the load times and the fact that it resets the floor you just came from if you have to turn around.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So I'm having a hell of a time getting anywhere just now and really need some advice.

So I have a handful of Grade 1 and 2 characters; a large mix really. various levels with my highest being approx~ 38... The only issue is that I can't make it through any of the levels anymore.

I'm stuck around floor 12, and it's taken me ~8 hours of play just to make it there from floor 10, because the auto-generated Haters that keep popping up are super alert, super durable and super high-powered - My highest level defender keeps getting killed in a single shot.

I've made it my goal to not use any Metals. If I die, I either start anew or pay the KC fee, but I'm struggling to stay afloat. I just can't progress, can't afford the cost to keep refitting my characters, and can't survive without making enough coin to refit my characters.

To make matters worse, I can't even start with a fresh Grade 1 character and go back to floor 1, because the haters don't stop now. It makes me regret
defeating Max and going past floor 10
, because I went from everything being a fair difficulty to almost completely Impossible-to-defeat without putting in tens of hours grinding until I'm at an "alright" level.

I know I can just keep trying and eventually I'll bruteforce my way through, but I'd like to avoid that. I don't want to give up on this game, but it's making it very hard for me. Any tips or advice? Maybe some guidance on what I should focus more on?

All my thanks.
I have seen some good advice already but one thing I didn't see mentioned is that if you haven't done so, you would reallllllly benefit from leveling your fists mastery. Raiding is a great way to do this and also learn to combat the different types of haters you can encounter (I tend to think of them now in terms of what they're attacking with... machete haters, longsword haters, assault rifle haters, crossbow haters, etc.)

You should be able to reasonably quickly level up a Grade 2 character to near max by just running Coen and the first few floors once you are comfortable facing the haters.

hyp

work on leveling up your fists early on. it'll help when you need to grind out new characters. also get into a habit early on of using shrooms to disable haters (tear gas, sleep, poison, etc.). it'll help you a lot later in the game.

Syysch

(I tend to think of them now in terms of what they're attacking with... machete haters, longsword haters, assault rifle haters, crossbow haters, etc.)

For ranged enemies, blocking their line of sight with a wall or box will cause them to run to you until they can see you, so if you don't have a ranged weapon, you can force them to close the distance into your melee range. You can also use ledges and walls/rails that have to be jumped over in order to get free hits on enemies that jump up/down/over them before they're fully recovered from the jump/climb.

hyp

For ranged enemies, blocking their line of sight with a wall or box will cause them to run to you until they can see you, so if you don't have a ranged weapon, you can force them to close the distance into your melee range. You can also use ledges and walls/rails that have to be jumped over in order to get free hits on enemies that jump up/down/over them before they're fully recovered from the jump/climb.

these little nuances in combat engagement make the grind enjoyable.

Syysch

Another tip - screamers (white name) will fight a hater (orange or red name) but only if they havent seen you yet, they will always target you once they have. Haters, however, will fight screamers, and generally prioritize the closest living thing at all times, so you can get them to hit/whiff at a screamer by getting one between you.

ObsidianG

• Early on, you should level your Hammer, Iron, and Fists mastery. These three weapons will help you out tremendously for the first few floors (Iron and Fists will be especially helpful endgame, too).
  • Use mushrooms at will. They are expendable. The only ones worth holding onto for specific cases aren't found until much later in the game.
  • You can and cook every mushroom or beast you pick up. Use the touchpad to select the item by sliding back and forth. From there, press the left half of the touchpad to go into "throw mode" as indicated by the image on the bottom of the screen. Walk close enough to an open flame and the image will change to a dude roasting shrooms. Press the X to cook it. Viola! You now have a more potent version of the same item!
  • The AI is very easily exploited, especially in 1v1 situations. Bait the attack and punish.
  • You will eventually see high level Haters (quasi PvP enemies that are sent to attack you). Even if they have a significantly higher level than you, they aren't much different from a standard 1v1 encounter. Bait the attack and punish. Use shrooms on them accordingly (sleep shrooms and teargas shrooms are great early game items for this).
  • Use Death Metals to expand your storage, not to revive. At least not yet.
  • Of all the classes you eventually unlock, Striker, Shooter, and Defender are the three worth spending time on for general progression. The rest have niche uses - except the Attacker (he's pretty poo).

Weapon specific tips!

• Practice the 2H weapons you find as they tend to be the best for zoning tough enemies.
  • Rage moves (triangle + attack) will eat up your durability. They're great to use, but they shouldn't be your goto move. They unlock after a few levels of mastery in a weapon. The Fists rage move is amazing in that it knocks enemies down.
  • Some weapons will gain additional combo hits as you increase the mastery with it.
  • Fireworks Launcher isn't a great weapon for damage, but at higher mastery, it will be an excellent option to break enemy armor.
  • The Magnum is not a great damage dealer either, but at the higher mastery levels, you can deal full damage to a blocking enemy.
Other quick tips!
  • Pick up any and all materials you can carry. Crafting is HUGE part of this game.
  • Always wear something for armor. It's perfectly acceptable to wear whatever you find lying around (despite low durability). When you're naked you take a LOT more damage.
  • Lower durability means lower defensive and offensive stats. It's normal to notice that your weapons are doing less damage the closer they are to breaking.
  • Learn to perfect parry early on - tapping circle right as your enemy is about to hit you.
  • Ask specific questions. This game has a lot of systems to figure out. Many of us have already logged 100+ hours and would love to help new players.
  • You will open up the expedition system pretty early on. Always have fighters on expeditions as this will be your primary source of mushrooms and pillbugs.

I second these tips! I would add that you should decide which brand of gear you want to upgrade: there are four brands in the game (D.O.D, War Ensemble, Candol Wolf, and MILK) and each weapon/armor blue print you find will be made by one of them. Like others mentioned, upgrading your gear is key to progress within the game, and specific upgrade materials are needed for each brand.

I would recommend upgrading 1 Candol Wolf weapon and set of armor, because the unique materials for this brand are the most accessible. However, always upgrade your red hot iron as much as you can, because it is in my opinion the best backup weapon I have come across so far.

However, it is perfectly viable to upgrade other brands if you don't like the candol wolf weapons, good luck on climbing the tower!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Depending on how far away you're starting, you can also dodge straight towards them as soon as they start their shooting animation and avoid all damage, and they're pretty vulnerable if you close the distance fast.

audio_delay

Neo Member
:/ why did no one tell me that floor 34 has a small path that leads to the shutters for the lift. So yeah you can restock, even if it is your first time on floor 34, before fighting Coen.
...actually i bypassed coen using that path

Top Bottom