• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let It Die |OT| F2P roguelike Dark Souls with a skateboarding skeleton

Volcynika

Yeesh, 34F boss is such a pain. Have to regather some shrooms before I throw another attempt at it.

Any weapon recommendations? Pork Chopper seems a bit too slow, but it's the only thing I have now that is doing considerable damage.

Burnburn

I think the thing that bothers me the most about this game is that bosses give you so little opportunity to attack them. The way I see people tackle bosses is "Eat 100 X mushrooms and 50 times Y mushroom and it will be easy". Same with the Jackals, where everyone that's beating them isn't beating them on skill, but on preparation. Which seems to be the biggest thing about this game, it's more about preparation than it is about skill. I just beat the level 30 floor boss and I had to use a few death metals because I honestly didn't feel like fighting him again. It's pretty much wait for him to do the attack you want and then you can only get 1 or 2 hits in of a quick weapon before he starts attacking again. And he attacks quickly after the attack, down periods are almost non existent. At first I tried baiting him in doing his jump attack thing, but I quickly gave up on that because my character wanted to dodge into him rather than dodge away from him even though I pointed the stick in the opposite direction. Running away didn't work either as it sometimes hit me and sometimes didn't. Then you just run around until he maybe does an attack that might give you the opportunity to get 1-2 hits in. But again, you have such a small opportunity to get your hits in and it's very hard to tell when you even HAVE an opportunity to get your attacks in.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I think the thing that bothers me the most about this game is that bosses give you so little opportunity to attack them. The way I see people tackle bosses is "Eat 100 X mushrooms and 50 times Y mushroom and it will be easy". Same with the Jackals, where everyone that's beating them isn't beating them on skill, but on preparation. Which seems to be the biggest thing about this game, it's more about preparation than it is about skill. I just beat the level 30 floor boss and I had to use a few death metals because I honestly didn't feel like fighting him again. It's pretty much wait for him to do the attack you want and then you can only get 1 or 2 hits in of a quick weapon before he starts attacking again. And he attacks quickly after the attack, down periods are almost non existent. At first I tried baiting him in doing his jump attack thing, but I quickly gave up on that because my character wanted to dodge into him rather than dodge away from him even though I pointed the stick in the opposite direction. Running away didn't work either as it sometimes hit me and sometimes didn't. Then you just run around until he maybe does an attack that might give you the opportunity to get 1-2 hits in. But again, you have such a small opportunity to get your hits in and it's very hard to tell when you even HAVE an opportunity to get your attacks in.

Someone killed a Jackal without mushroom cheese.

I mean, he used a stamina shroom, but there was no invis/slow combo that everyone loves.

Tingle

I mean, he used a stamina shroom, but there was no invis/slow combo that everyone loves.

Even in your video, he beat the Jackal by completely avoiding the fight through stunlocking him. It seems like most of the tough enemies aren't really beatable without some sort of cheesing- I haven't seen anybody just beat the end-game bosses or jackals just through skill and dodging their attacks.

Aselith

Since last night the arcade girl is talking real sweet on Uncle Death. She seems super into him. Watch your back, Justin!

So consider me a convert to the church of Hot Irons. Have my Mastery all the way up, have them upgraded to the point where I need Red materials. Grabbed some Slowdown Shrooms and can now waste Goto on Floor 23 in a matter of seconds.

Used the same strat on JINDIE and COEN a few floors up. Solid!

OMG I raped 26 F Jin Die so bad . . . and got more War Ensemble BM. RNGesus, hear my prayer. MLK next time, ok???

So consider me a convert to the church of Hot Irons. Have my Mastery all the way up, have them upgraded to the point where I need Red materials. Grabbed some Slowdown Shrooms and can now waste Goto on Floor 23 in a matter of seconds.

Used the same strat on JINDIE and COEN a few floors up. Solid!

Preach on, brother.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Aaaaand final boss defeated.

I will probably grind some more and get some equipment stuff, but damn, this was easily one of the most interesting and rewarding games I have played in the past few years. Thank you Grasshopper.

Beat 26 Jin Die, and it seems it only led to a dead-end on the left (there was an elevator, but it didn't connect to anything).

Guess I have to beat Coen, too?

Aaaaand final boss defeated.

I will probably grind some more and get some equipment stuff, but damn, this was easily one of the most interesting and rewarding games I have played in the past few years. Thank you Grasshopper.

Wow, congrats, man. Totally agree. Reminds me of my first run through Demon's Souls.

Vexii

So I'm having a hell of a time getting anywhere just now and really need some advice.

So I have a handful of Grade 1 and 2 characters; a large mix really. various levels with my highest being approx~ 38... The only issue is that I can't make it through any of the levels anymore.

I'm stuck around floor 12, and it's taken me ~8 hours of play just to make it there from floor 10, because the auto-generated Haters that keep popping up are super alert, super durable and super high-powered - My highest level defender keeps getting killed in a single shot.

I've made it my goal to not use any Metals. If I die, I either start anew or pay the KC fee, but I'm struggling to stay afloat. I just can't progress, can't afford the cost to keep refitting my characters, and can't survive without making enough coin to refit my characters.

To make matters worse, I can't even start with a fresh Grade 1 character and go back to floor 1, because the haters don't stop now. It makes me regret
defeating Max and going past floor 10
, because I went from everything being a fair difficulty to almost completely Impossible-to-defeat without putting in tens of hours grinding until I'm at an "alright" level.

I know I can just keep trying and eventually I'll bruteforce my way through, but I'd like to avoid that. I don't want to give up on this game, but it's making it very hard for me. Any tips or advice? Maybe some guidance on what I should focus more on?

All my thanks.

Beat 26 Jin Die, and it seems it only led to a dead-end on the left (there was an elevator, but it didn't connect to anything).

Guess I have to beat Coen, too?

Wow, congrats, man. Totally agree. Reminds me of my first run through Demon's Souls.

I ran in to the same thing, and yup, the solution is to beat both of them.

Grinchy

Banned
My character got stuck inside of a wall just now on 13F Kamoto. I assume there's nothing I can do at this point except quit the game and force it to kill me? This is really fucking annoying because it's the 4th or 5th floor I've been to on this run and getting back looks like it'll take at least 4.

I was so close to the damn elevator...

So I'm having a hell of a time getting anywhere just now and really need some advice . . .

Are you sending out all of your fighters on expeditions to the highest floors available all the time? The mushrooms they collect, especially cloakshrooms and pill bugs which becomes lifeshrooms can really save your ass.

Also, you're gonna have to use metals now and again. You can buy 30 one time only for $5. Think of how much you've spent on shitty games you barely played. Or shitty systems (Xbone :p)? Get over that OCD and use some metals, man! I said I was only to play Dark Souls 3 with no coop, but I had to summon now and again to avoid supreme frustration . . .

Vexii

Are you sending out all of your fighters on expeditions to the highest floors available all the time? The mushrooms they collect, especially cloakshrooms and pill bugs which becomes lifeshrooms can really save your ass.

Also, you're gonna have to use metals now and again. You can buy 30 one time only for $5. Think of how much you've spent on shitty games you barely played. Or shitty systems (Xbone :p)? Get over that OCD and buy some metals, man!

Metals are a last resort, and I spent all the ones I do have on storage space. I'd be happier spending on metals if (I felt that) they were more reasonably priced...

Anyway, beyond that. How do I specifically send Hunters to certain floors? That sounds like it'd be very helpful.

So I'm having a hell of a time getting anywhere just now and really need some advice.

So I have a handful of Grade 1 and 2 characters; a large mix really. various levels with my highest being approx~ 38... The only issue is that I can't make it through any of the levels anymore.

I'm stuck around floor 12, and it's taken me ~8 hours of play just to make it there from floor 10, because the auto-generated Haters that keep popping up are super alert, super durable and super high-powered - My highest level defender keeps getting killed in a single shot.

I've made it my goal to not use any Metals. If I die, I either start anew or pay the KC fee, but I'm struggling to stay afloat. I just can't progress, can't afford the cost to keep refitting my characters, and can't survive without making enough coin to refit my characters.

To make matters worse, I can't even start with a fresh Grade 1 character and go back to floor 1, because the haters don't stop now. It makes me regret
, because I went from everything being a fair difficulty to almost completely Impossible-to-defeat without putting in tens of hours grinding until I'm at an "alright" level.

I know I can just keep trying and eventually I'll bruteforce my way through, but I'd like to avoid that. I don't want to give up on this game, but it's making it very hard for me. Any tips or advice? Maybe some guidance on what I should focus more on?

All my thanks.
You should spend some time investing in decent armor: head, body and legs. Next, try to level up the Machete and/or Iron Hammer. You need to not just level up the weapons, but achieve mastery too. Do dry runs in lower levels. Also pick a gun you like and master it. I've seen people do downright crazy stuff with Sniper. I picked the KAMAS rifile. Excellent crowd control and power (once mastery is up).

Also, SHROOMS. You can skate through level 1-10 without any buffs/offense mushrooms but 10 onwards you need to start using them in tactical manner.

Syysch

I haven't seen anybody just beat the end-game bosses or jackals just through skill and dodging their attacks.

Well, there doesn't seem to be any invincibility frames on dodging, so not getting hit relies on not being in the path of an attack before it begins for a lot of end-game enemies, which just isn't feasible without mushrooms (which are a mechanic the game expects you to use).

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...

All my thanks.

Use the weapons that the enemies are dropping in those levels until you can make them yourself and collect enough materials to be on equal footing again. The game will throw you off similarly after every 10 floors, so you will need to rethink your strategy and check what new mushrooms and weapons/R&D options are available to you. I havent used a metal until 20+, so its definitely not a requirement. Upgrade your machete, does wonders until floor 20.

Mother fucker. Found Choku Funsha right after unlocking Okusa for the first time. He had the sengoku helmet BP I wanted but I didn't have enough cash on me. Use a Tryptamine to book it back to the Waiting Room ASAP. Pull out 70k from my rewards box so I can get one of the 60k blueprints as well. Head back in to the tower only to find he JUST moved. :mad:

Mother fucker. Found Choku Funsha right after unlocking Okusa for the first time. He had the sengoku helmet BP I wanted but I didn't have enough cash on me. Use a Tryptamine to book it back to the Waiting Room ASAP. Pull out 70k from my rewards box so I can get one of the 60k blueprints as well. Head back in to the tower only to find he JUST moved. :mad:

I've given up on that asshole. Too much at stake to worry about something that is absolutely randomized. If he shows up, then I'm in luck. If not, fuck him.

Metals are a last resort, and I spent all the ones I do have on storage space. I'd be happier spending on metals if (I felt that) they were more reasonably priced...

Anyway, beyond that. How do I specifically send Hunters to certain floors? That sounds like it'd be very helpful.

Pricing? 30 for $5 (once) when this game is easily worth $60?

Vexii

Pricing? 30 for $5 (once) when this game is easily worth $60?
I mean beyond that first $5. I very seldom buy into games with open-ended pay structures, because the transactions become a crutch with no limits.

If the game offered a $60 one-time DLC that guaranteed a limited number of metals upon logging in every day, I'd gladly pay that right now. Hell yes it's worth $60, but I want that money to go towards a balanced experience, and not one that will become unbalanced when the metals dry up again.

Not only that, but the $5 price is a one time payment for a reason. The other prices are far less reasonable (again, in my own opinion.)

I hope my mindset has been explained a bit better?

I mean beyond that first $5. I very seldom buy into games with open-ended pay structures, because the transactions become a crutch with no limits.

If the game offered a $60 one-time DLC that guaranteed a limited number of metals upon logging in every day, I'd gladly pay that right now. Hell yes it's worth $60, but I want that money to go towards a balanced experience, and not one that will become unbalanced when the metals dry up again.

Not only that, but the $5 price is a one time payment for a reason. The other prices are far less reasonable (again, in my own opinion.)

I hope my mindset has been explained a bit better?

Totally. I just can't understand people who don't want to pay anything for this masterpiece. Personally if I didn't spend what is an affordable amount on it I'd feel guilty.

Toma

Totally. I just can't understand people who don't want to pay anything for this masterpiece. Personally if I didn't spend what is an affordable amount on it I'd feel guilty.

Yeah, I really didnt need more death metals, but the 15$ for the Express Pass felt like a worthy thank you investment.

Burnburn

As Tingle already said, it's still something you had to prepare with mushrooms plus stunlock instead of raw skill.

I think the combat foundations are good btw, with a little bit of jank and some points that could be better. I'm going to put the blame on the way they designed the bosses here. Would have loved to see bosses that aren't as attack spam heavy as these

So katana is (obviously) a Dex weapon.

Does that mean it's best with Shooters or Attackers? I've been using Striker but see high-level streamers wrecking with the katana.

Syysch

So katana is (obviously) a Dex weapon.

Does that mean it's best with Shooters or Attackers? I've been using Striker but see high-level streamers wrecking with the katana.

Melee damage scales with strength, ranged damage scales with dex. Weapon requirements are just requirements to wear.

I just tested with a butterfly knife to make sure (also a dex req weapon):

Striker with 199 str, 64 dex, +10% slash damage decal did 1364 damage
Shooter with 50 str, 213 dex, +15% +15% +7% +7% attack decals did 717 damage
(R1 attack vs those tubers in the first room of first floor)

Shooter will get more str than a Striker gets dex, Attacker sacrifices a ton of hp at the top tier. Striker may need a -dex req decal to use one, Shooter won't do quite as much damage.

Darknight

Oh god no, dont tell me this guy appears randomly! I found him on like floor 3 or 4 but had no cash. Some items were meh blueprints but I imagined I could go back later....

God damn hate games that you literally need a guide else you are fucked.

lionpants

Barely got to F25 to unlock 4th Grade. Is that the max Grade for now?

My gear isn't going to cut it past here though. I need the claw blueprints or something.

My plan is to level a 4th Grade striker and farm some blueprints. Which floor should I farm?

Do the BPs scale with your progress in any way?

If I'm in the 20s, which moving shop do I want to be hitting? Haven't really used the moving shops at all.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I had an insanely successful night.

21 -> 22 (gold chest got me a DOD Black) -> 23 (boss dropped Candle Wolf Black) -> 25 -> 26 (boss dropped DOD Black). Mixed in a Reversal Metal and a Hovering Metal at some point, too.

Got Pork Chopper to +2, crafted the Cleaver Saber, and took Priests Legs S to +3.

Also scored my first 2 Funshrooms via expeditions. Anyone know exactly what floors to go out on to bring these back? I also got a 5* Zombie Chopper and 2 pieces of 5* armor from expeditions. I Funshroomed those suckers to max just in case I need them for bossing.

hbkdx12

Barely got to F25 to unlock 4th Grade. Is that the max Grade for now?

My gear isn't going to cut it past here though. I need the claw blueprints or something.

My plan is to level a 4th Grade striker and farm some blueprints. Which floor should I farm?

Get used to farming the chest on 22f kawambe. A lot of level 3 gear requires various black metals

Got Motor Psycho BP. Now my entire LID life is locked behind MLK black. And I keep getting War Ensemble . . .

I'm glad im not the only one who calls it this hahaha

abd

Are haters supposed to be reoccurring or something?
Because I've noticed there's one level 5 hater I see every few runs on the first floor with the same name and equipment.
I guess it's lucky 'cause they always drop a Jackal Yoyo, but I'm just wondering if every player has like a set "list" of haters that will appear for them.
It's not one of those YMMK@ dev haters, either.

So this happens to me as well, though it is someone on my friends list. Every time I go to floor one they are there. When I tried to send someone to attack them, I found they haven't logged in in 25 days. So in my case, this hater is still there every time because they stopped playing.

Kid Ying

I'm really liking this game, although i'm nota even close to be good on it. Got mt ass kicked a lot and im still at the 14 floor. :(

hbkdx12

can you guys post a video showing the location of that golden chest in floor 22 you mention?

the layout/directions on how to get the chest changes everytime you go to kawabe. You just have to run through the area until you find it. It's in a narrow dead end. It should be easy to spot when you see it because the gold chest is glowing and it stands out. Once you open the chest, the entry where you came in closes and you have to fight 2 bone tubers and a steel axe wielding screamer

hyp

does the layout of KAWABE (22F) change? i was looking for the gold chest y'all speak of but couldn't find it. anyone able to find it with this current configuration?

Top Bottom