• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let It Die |OT| F2P roguelike Dark Souls with a skateboarding skeleton

hyp

kinda annoyed that we're relegated to farming the 22F/28F chests over and over for m.i.l.k black metal. drop rates are pretty horrible for me. are there any better spots for this on floors 31+?

i haven't engaged in the 30F boss battle yet because i've been on an upgrade spree for the final push to 40. but i may have to push further if there's an easier way to farm these damn metals.

Syysch

kinda annoyed that we're relegated to farming the 22F/28F chests over and over for m.i.l.k black metal. drop rates are pretty horrible for me. are there any better spots for this on floors 31+?

i haven't engaged in the 30F boss battle yet because i've been on an upgrade spree for the final push to 40. but i may have to push further if there's an easier way to farm these damn metals.

That's your only option, unless you want to hope a gold chest in the 30s spits out a black, which is possible but at the same rate you're getting greens out of the chests in the 20s.

hyp

That's your only option, unless you want to hope a gold chest in the 30s spits out a black, which is possible but at the same rate you're getting greens out of the chests in the 20s.

was afraid of that. oh well, back to the grind. RNG has not been a friend of mine the past two days, swimming in D.O.D. blacks which i really don't need right now. also, a lot of my recent mushroom stews have been duplicates. sigh.

ZangBa

I hope the update adds new floors with the missing bosses in lower floors so we can farm metals that way instead of chests. Even if you have to kill U-10 on 32 to unlock it on lower floors, it will be worth it.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
I've heard that if you put gear that you crafted and bought that the gear will not break, and I confirm that is true. I've had 6-7 characters geared out for expeditions and they have never broken, and when I took the weapons back for my main character they had no durability loss. I've also heard that if you put weapons you found on the floor on them that those will break though, but I haven't tried that.

Also yes you can send every character you have on expeditions except for 1, the one you are currently using. It is better to do 1-hour expeditions than to defend because as you found out people will just kill your defenders and potentially capture them anyway. Even if they aren't higher rank, someone that really wants your stuff can cheese your defenders with brainshrooms for easy goretastic kills. I put 0 characters on defense and just do expeditions with all of them. That is, unless you want the defense trophy but personally I don't really care about trophies.

Very helpful, thanks! I've finally started sending my lvl 25 dudes on random expeditions.
Although they only seem to bring back chump change, junk gear and common consumables. No materials.
Any recommendations for areas to send them at rank 6?

How the fuck is this game free. Is the best Dark Souls since 1. I feel ashamed Im not paying money for this.

GOTY 2017

tenor.gif

So I have no prior experience with roguelikes and just downloaded it on a whim earlier. I have a few questions if someone doesn't mind asking:

1. How does saving work in this game? Does the game save when I get to a new floor, when I quit like Souls games...? How how and are elevators tied into this?

2. Is there a damn lock-on function? If so, they're doing a good job of hiding it or I'm too stupid to read something somewhere.

3. Is there a way to boost your stamina eventually? I'm finding stamina and its regeneration a bitch in this game.

4. Most importantly I guess, do the micro transactions ever become truly necessary to advance and/or to just have fun with the game?

I'm digging the weird overall vibe and dungeon crawling of it right now but am pretty overwhelmed/confused by how this game works. I mean I read all the balloon hints but still, not sure how the basics like saving and death etc. work.

Overall, it kind of reminds me of Manhunt minus the stealth.

ijed

Is there a way to put out a fire that's burning in a particular area? Maybe with a mushroom or beast or something?

yeah I was wondering about this too as there's a layout in the teens where you have to go up a ledge that's on fire.

Or do you need to use a snailshroom to give fire resist?

Frimaire

So I have no prior experience with roguelikes and just downloaded it on a whim earlier. I have a few questions if someone doesn't mind asking:

1. How does saving work in this game? Does the game save when I get to a new floor, when I quit like Souls games...? How how and are elevators tied into this?

2. Is there a damn lock-on function? If so, they're doing a good job of hiding it or I'm too stupid to read something somewhere.

3. Is there a way to boost your stamina eventually? I'm finding stamina and its regeneration a bitch in this game.

4. Most importantly I guess, do the micro transactions ever become truly necessary to advance and/or to just have fun with the game?

I'm digging the weird overall vibe and dungeon crawling of it right now but am pretty overwhelmed/confused by how this game works. I mean I read all the balloon hints but still, not sure how the basics like saving and death etc. work.

1. The game saves automatically, but if you leave the game while you're outside of the waiting room, it counts as a death for that character.

2. Lock-on is click right stick. Switch targets is up on D-pad.

3. You can Level up Stamina at the Waiting room. There are also skill decals that increase stamina/ decrease consumption.

4. I would say it's never necessary to get micro transactions in order to advance/ have fun, though fighter recovery can get quite expensive at higher floors. You can always manually recover a fighter, though.

If you plan on playing through the game without ever buying micro transactions, I would suggest spending most of the Death Metals you earn in-game on storage upgrades, rather than revives.

hbkdx12

Is there a way to put out a fire that's burning in a particular area? Maybe with a mushroom or beast or something?
If you mean a fire just burning in the level, no. You'll need to jump over it.

1) The game only saves when you're in your waiting room. That's the only time you can quit the game safely. if you quit out while you're in the tower you'll lose your character. The game is designed this way intentionally. Elevators just act as a means to get you back to the waiting room more or less. The layout of the tower will change everyday however all the areas that run central on the map (press down on the d-pad to view the map) and fall along the bold purple line are static and any area on that line has an elevator. So your short term goal when pushing through the tower should be to find the next available floor that has access to the central elevator. This will allow you to return to the waiting room and effectively act as a shortcut to get back to that floor. Also be aware that anytime you leave an area (use an escalator or elevator) and then go back to it, enemies will respawn but materials will not. Bosses and materials will only repopulate when you go back to the waiting room.

2) Use R3 to lock on. Press up on the d-pad to switch between targets

3) Yes, you can use decals from the mushroom lady to boost your stamina and/or stamina recovery and as you get higher grade fighters, their attribute caps (HP, strength, stamina, dexterity, etc) rise as well.

4) Believe it or not, the game is not very intrusive with it's F2P stuff. The only things you'd really spend money on is for death metals which let you revive instantly when you die. But there are ways to get death metals in the game plus you want to be smart about how/when you use them (using them on bosses should be the first priority) The game is called Let it Die for a reason. The other thing is using your death metals to expand the storage slots in your chest in the waiting room. those slots fill up quickly as you gather materials and eventually you'll want to expand you're storage space. So basically, the F2P stuff is more about convenience than necessity. You can also buy the express pass which gives you nice benefits like extra death bag slots, free elevator usage, free daily decals and a few other things. Again, it's more of convenience rather than necessity.

Syysch

yeah I was wondering about this too as there's a layout in the teens where you have to go up a ledge that's on fire.

Or do you need to use a snailshroom to give fire resist?

There's a way around that spot by jumping on the pipes and navigating around a path through one of the walls. You'll be able to drop down right next to where you would have had to climb up in the fire.

ijed

There's a way around that spot by jumping on the pipes and navigating around a path through one of the walls. You'll be able to drop down right next to where you would have had to climb up in the fire.

Oh yeah I saw cases on top of the pipes and couldn't figure out how to get up there. Will have to investigate further.

Aske

I'm at floor 13, just starting to get some sweet firearms, and I can't tell if I love this game or if I'm just addicted to it like videogame cigarettes. I love the wrestling moves, I love exploding people, but the game is pretty much just about grinding and crafting and grinding and crafting. That's not usually my thing, but I've been playing nothing besides this since I started it up. Despite having much shallower combat, and environments that could have been drawn on construction paper by a child, I'm clicking with this more than I ever did with the Soulsbourne games.

Sande

Others already answered about leveling up, decals etc.

Another huge thing is hunger. If you don't eat specific things (not everything makes hunger go away) in a while, your stamina is halved and your health regen is removed.

I don't remember how bad it's by default in the beginning but hunger would definitely make it a bitch.

Vorheez

Oh, there's only 40 floors? I could have swore the intro said something like 128 floors... I must be going crazy. I'm only on floor 7 anyways

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, there's only 40 floors? I could have swore the intro said something like 128 floors... I must be going crazy. I'm only on floor 7 anyways

Some floors have multiple "areas". The number you heard may have been referencing that.

At any rate, I'm at around the same point and feel like 40 will be more than enough.

Don't forget we've been promised a content update with more floors, weapons, enemies, etc. I believe the intro says that "some people say that the tower keeps growing"; I think it's a reference to that.

Atkison04

Alright, any good spots to farm for bullet metal? Does farming with a lucky character increase drop rates?

Also, I've never really tracked down the secret vendor on purpose, but is he either in one location or another depending on what set of floors you're on? Meaning that if he isn't in one known location he'll be in the other? I read that he sells bullet metal so I wanted to learn more. Does he only sell 1 at a time or multi?

Sorry for all the questions gaf! This game is my crack at the moment lol

Syysch

Alright, any good spots to farm for bullet metal? Does farming with a lucky character increase drop rates?

Also, I've never really tracked down the secret vendor on purpose, but is he either in one location or another depending on what set of floors you're on? Meaning that if he isn't in one known location he'll be in the other? I read that he sells bullet metal so I wanted to learn more. Does he only sell 1 at a time or multi?

I think he's in one of a couple different spots in each set of 10 floors. I've been farming him for various materials on my runs through the 30s and he's always in one of the 2 rooms there. He sells 1 bullet metal for 20k coins, and restocks an hour after you've made a purchase.

It's really the only consistent way to get bullet metal other than some of the quests. The drop rate from tubers is abysmal.

Frimaire

I'm actually trying to farm bullet metals right now.
I'm using Mekaroku-Go(6f) because it has 4 mk.1 bullet tubers on it, and it's fairly easy to run though.
I wouldn't recommend searching for the secret shop just for bullet metal, as it's quite expensive and he only sells one at a time.

hbkdx12

I hope their looking into more ways to use SPL. Trying to spend it down often time is just a nightmare if there isn't something you can craft because you don't have the materials or the cost of the next waiting room upgrade is so high that you don't feel like committing to doing raids over and over again to get to the necessary cost

It'd be great if we could use it to grow our own mushrooms or break down weapons for mats

Sorry if this has been covered already - I've googled around a bit and not quite found a definitive answer.

I'm not that far into the game (I've got as far as
the first Coen fight on floor 3)
and wanted to double-check something. For a little while, my character's stats have been completely maxed out but I've not seen any option to rank them up so I can increase the stats further and/or any new fighters to start over with. Is that just something that comes with time?

Edit: From reading elsewhere, is it the case that I'd max out a fighter, start using them to farm on their own whilst I start a new character which I can make a lot better and will unlock at some point?

mcz117chief

Man, this game looks pretty cool and the being f2p is awesome BUT the OT is absolutely horrible.

When this OT appeared a month ago I thought it was a skateboarding sidescroller with roguelike mechanics since the gameplay picture is just a bunch of colours I thought it has a Hotline Miami style graphics and super fast sidescrolling gameplay where you play a skeleton shooting stuff and grinding bars and whatnot.

Why not at least say it's a third person action game somewhere nier the top and actually put a picture of gameplay or ANY kind of screenshot somewhere in the OT.

Frimaire

Sorry if this has been covered already - I've googled around a bit and not quite found a definitive answer.

I'm not that far into the game (I've got as far as
the first Coen fight on floor 3)
and wanted to double-check something. For a little while, my character's stats have been completely maxed out but I've not seen any option to rank them up so I can increase the stats further and/or any new fighters to start over with. Is that just something that comes with time?

Edit: From reading elsewhere, is it the case that I'd max out a fighter, start using them to farm on their own whilst I start a new character which I can make a lot better and will unlock at some point?

You unlock higher rank fighters with higher level caps for purchase based on the highest floor you have reached.
Uncle death will email you when they unlock.
In order to pass the rank 1 level cap, you will need to start a new rank 2 character and level them up.

Atkison04

I think he's in one of a couple different spots in each set of 10 floors. I've been farming him for various materials on my runs through the 30s and he's always in one of the 2 rooms there. He sells 1 bullet metal for 20k coins, and restocks an hour after you've made a purchase.

It's really the only consistent way to get bullet metal other than some of the quests. The drop rate from tubers is abysmal.

I'm actually trying to farm bullet metals right now.
I'm using Mekaroku-Go(6f) because it has 4 mk.1 bullet tubers on it, and it's fairly easy to run though.
I wouldn't recommend searching for the secret shop just for bullet metal, as it's quite expensive and he only sells one at a time.

Thanks for the info! I still need to do the bullet metal quests and I'll spend some time in Mekaroku-Go. I haven't tried to progress at all in days. I've become quite obsessed with upgrading a few different weapons at the moment. I have most of the materials for the upgrades, aside from bullet metal and milk red metal. I need 6 bullet metals and 4 milk red metals to hit the next upgrade level on 2 different weapons.

Right now I'm focusing on these:
Motor psycho, bowling stomper A, cleaver saber A, marasume blade and the pork chopper. All of these are viable for end game right? Am I missing any great weapons? I don't want to waste time focusing on grinding materials for something that is clearly outclassed.

You unlock higher rank fighters with higher level caps for purchase based on the highest floor you have reached.
Uncle death will email you when they unlock.
In order to pass the rank 1 level cap, you will need to start a new rank 2 character and level them up.

Appreciate that, cheers.

ZangBa

Man, this game looks pretty cool and the being f2p is awesome BUT the OT is absolutely horrible.

When this OT appeared a month ago I thought it was a skateboarding sidescroller with roguelike mechanics since the gameplay picture is just a bunch of colours I thought it has a Hotline Miami style graphics and super fast sidescrolling gameplay where you play a skeleton shooting stuff and grinding bars and whatnot.

Why not at least say it's a third person action game somewhere nier the top and actually put a picture of gameplay or ANY kind of screenshot somewhere in the OT.

In the gameplay section, which is the first section that's written, literally says it's roguelite souls-like game, which it is.

Syysch

Right now I'm focusing on these:
Motor psycho, bowling stomper A, cleaver saber A, marasume blade and the pork chopper. All of these are viable for end game right? Am I missing any great weapons? I don't want to waste time focusing on grinding materials for something that is clearly outclassed.

I got through the game just fine with the bowling stomper and pork chopper. I know a lot of people use the saber and katana. I kinda stopped upgrading the motor psycho so i could funnel the milk metals into bowling/saber, and just pick up motor psychos that get dropped by enemies for the rage attack in certain room layouts.

mcz117chief

In the gameplay section, which is the first section that's written, literally says it's roguelite souls-like game, which it is.

I was looking at the pictures and bullet points which don't specify any of it. It says genre, but it doesn't say something like 3rd person hack'n'slash or something along those lines.

1. The game saves automatically, but if you leave the game while you're outside of the waiting room, it counts as a death for that character.

2. Lock-on is click right stick. Switch targets is up on D-pad.

3. You can Level up Stamina at the Waiting room. There are also skill decals that increase stamina/ decrease consumption.

4. I would say it's never necessary to get micro transactions in order to advance/ have fun, though fighter recovery can get quite expensive at higher floors. You can always manually recover a fighter, though.

If you plan on playing through the game without ever buying micro transactions, I would suggest spending most of the Death Metals you earn in-game on storage upgrades, rather than revives.

If you mean a fire just burning in the level, no. You'll need to jump over it.

1) The game only saves when you're in your waiting room. That's the only time you can quit the game safely. if you quit out while you're in the tower you'll lose your character. The game is designed this way intentionally. Elevators just act as a means to get you back to the waiting room more or less. The layout of the tower will change everyday however all the areas that run central on the map (press down on the d-pad to view the map) and fall along the bold purple line are static and any area on that line has an elevator. So your short term goal when pushing through the tower should be to find the next available floor that has access to the central elevator. This will allow you to return to the waiting room and effectively act as a shortcut to get back to that floor. Also be aware that anytime you leave an area (use an escalator or elevator) and then go back to it, enemies will respawn but materials will not. Bosses and materials will only repopulate when you go back to the waiting room.

2) Use R3 to lock on. Press up on the d-pad to switch between targets

3) Yes, you can use decals from the mushroom lady to boost your stamina and/or stamina recovery and as you get higher grade fighters, their attribute caps (HP, strength, stamina, dexterity, etc) rise as well.

4) Believe it or not, the game is not very intrusive with it's F2P stuff. The only things you'd really spend money on is for death metals which let you revive instantly when you die. But there are ways to get death metals in the game plus you want to be smart about how/when you use them (using them on bosses should be the first priority) The game is called Let it Die for a reason. The other thing is using your death metals to expand the storage slots in your chest in the waiting room. those slots fill up quickly as you gather materials and eventually you'll want to expand you're storage space. So basically, the F2P stuff is more about convenience than necessity. You can also buy the express pass which gives you nice benefits like extra death bag slots, free elevator usage, free daily decals and a few other things. Again, it's more of convenience rather than necessity.

Others already answered about leveling up, decals etc.

Another huge thing is hunger. If you don't eat specific things (not everything makes hunger go away) in a while, your stamina is halved and your health regen is removed.

I don't remember how bad it's by default in the beginning but hunger would definitely make it a bitch.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input. Definitely clears up a bunch of weird shit about this game for me. I guess I have to get my bearings actually playing as the jargon is really convoluted and confusing to me right now with elevators, waiting rooms, changing floors and all this crap.

I had assumed I can quit out of the game like in Souls so I guess I screwed up my level right now. Gladly I was only on the third floor.

I'll definitely keep giving this game a shot, it has a strange fun factor to it despite the combat feeling pretty rough...but that might've been the fact I didn't lock on. I did try R3 (Souls style) but must've forgotten to try again when an enemy was near enough out of panic.

Landford

Banned

DS1>DS2>Let It Die>>>>>>>>>DS3

I bought the DM pack. Amazing value. Nobody really has any knowledge of how well this game did for Grasshopper? Would be fucking amazing if they expand the floors and add new content once in a while.

Also, the little snippet of how maybe you would "enjoy this bit of human interaction" voice line for buying the DH Express Pass, and the way the character just bobs his or her head shy when looking at the DH Express Ascensorist made me laugh.

I was looking at the pictures and bullet points which don't specify any of it. It says genre, but it doesn't say something like 3rd person hack'n'slash or something along those lines.
The OT could definitely use some gameplay screenshots, but I don't know how you looked at the info in the OT (even glancingy) and got "side scrolling 2D skateboarding game".

Capra

So it turns out probably the best way to defend your base is to just drop a bunch of bullet-spongy guys with saber cleavers in - even if they don't actually kill the raider, they're such a goddamn pain to deal with without brainshrooms they'll probably end up wasting enough time through stunlocking and overwhelming the opponent that the raid will be aborted.

Bonus points if all of your defenders have Poison Eater decals on them too.

cakely

Just spent my first money on LID ... the $4.99 starter pack with the 30 death metals in it.

Utterly worth it so far.

Unfortunately I think I'm starting to get addicted to the Express pass tasters. Once those are gone ... that's gonna be rough.

It would be nice if they sold an Express pass taster for $1.00. I would definitely buy those.

NeoRausch

Encountered my first jackal... Well fuckdicks in an assbag!

LVL200?!

Edit:

Unfortunately I think I'm starting to get addicted to the Express pass tasters. Once those are gone ... that's gonna be rough.

It would be nice if they sold an Express pass taster for $1.00. I would definitely buy those.

You know what would be fucking nice? If they sold the daily pass for a buck!
I don't need a while month for 18 euros. Way to step!

Aske

Just spent my first money on LID ... the $4.99 starter pack with the 30 death metals in it.

Utterly worth it so far.

Did you spend all your DMs on storage slots? Is there a max we can reach?

I've not tried the Express Pass yet. Figured I'd save it for the higher floors.

...I kind of hate that more floors are getting added. I really hope I can still finish the game at 40 and just be done if I want!

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
DS1>DS2>Let It Die>>>>>>>>>DS3

Please stop.

Please. I'm begging you guys.

Seriously though, the OT could use a little work for sure.
There must be some Google images or something we can use as placeholders.
Maybe someone kind could make some fancy banners?

Utterly worth it so far.

Damn, this sounds really good. A lot of people have been doing it.

I just checked the PSN store (UK) and couldn't see any $4.99 starter pack equivalent.

What we do have though is this PS+ Exclusive Pack for FREE!

4 Death Metals
Express 1 Day Pass: 2
10,000 Kill Coins
10,000 SPLithium
Solo Shelters: 2
(Rest without returning to the Waiting Room.)
Barbmeat Half Portions: 6
(Restore 50% of max HP.)

That's a nice little pick-me-up for a rainy day :D

Volcynika

Trying to think of how much weapon grinding I need to do prior to the 40F boss. I have pork chopper + 2 and death burner + 2 or something, hmm. I do have enough guardshrooms for 22 minutes of invincibility at least!

Top Bottom