• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let It Die |OT| F2P roguelike Dark Souls with a skateboarding skeleton

hyp

I feel like I gotta be doing something wrong. Machete haters stunlock me to death if they hit me once. Full health, 2 second chances, doesn't matter. I just stand there taking it.

There has to be something I'm missing about these absurd stunlocks.

how is your armor against slash damage?

how'd you hold onto all that SPL? we're you raided in the process?

From my personal experience, I just left the PS4 on (for days), turned the power saving features off and hung out in the Waiting Room and raided whenever I had time. You are basically untouchable, unless you quit or climb the tower.
That's how I got the Fighter Freezer and Restroom maxed out (that latter one, ~512k, ouch...).

hyp

From my personal experience, I just left the PS4 on (for days), turned the power saving features off and hung out in the Waiting Room and raided whenever I had time. You are basically untouchable, unless you quit or climb the tower.
That's how I got the Fighter Freezer and Restroom maxed out (that latter one, ~512k, ouch...).

great tip, thanks. the only thing holding me back from getting that final slot has been the idea of losing my hard work.

hyp

Not great. Got -18% on that. But I feel like it shouldn't be this egregious even if I was naked.

it could be the culprit. i had terrible poison stats on one of my characters and got poisoned on the first hit of any attack. changed armor and got a better + poison stat and started noticing the claws didn't get me as much. and in fact, i was able to walk through most snail areas unharmed.

hbkdx12

great tip, thanks. the only thing holding me back from getting that final slot has been the idea of losing my hard work.

I just did nothing but raids for like an hour and change to get the SPL necessary. It's tedious no doubt but it's not all that bad especially since most people don't bother using defenses now a days. I just kept going after people who had at least 2000 SPL.

There's no way i'm upgrading the bathrooms though. That seems like a major waste.

Capra

how'd you hold onto all that SPL? we're you raided in the process?

Apologies, what I meant is that the freezer slot won't actually unlock until 3 days after you buy it... Which seems absolutely ridiculous and arbitrary but it's the final upgrade so whatevs.

I also only had the SPL to spend because I'm taking advantage of the Okusa rotation to phase out my 4* fighters in favor of as many 5* as I can get. I decided to just carve up 4 4*s at once to afford it and replace them with 1* all-rounders as placeholders.

Also I have decided to do a little roleplaying by naming my 5* fighters in honor of Suda's earlier works. So far I have:
Strikers - Travis, Jeane, Harman, MASK & Dan
Collector - Garcian
Skill Master - Coyote

By the time I'm done I plan to have all the Smiths and Henry. Eventually I'm going to have them dressed up and equipped appropriately - Garcian with the gold revolver, Travis & Henry with the glowing machete, MASK in the wrestler getup, etc. Hope that brings a smile to any Suda fans who decide to invade me later on.

Speaking of bugs:
I have had this one prisoner in my restroom for what feels like a couple of weeks. I am unable to remove her. If I try to do it from the control panel, the game tries, doesn't play the release animation, and just gives me a small amount of ghost-SPL (which vanishes from my inventory after exiting the panel menu).
If I try to do release her via the prison cell door, the game reloads all the cell-doors as boarded up (as if they were never upgraded) and if I then go to the control panel menu, I get massive amounts of ghost-SPL (like, millions! but it also disappears after exiting the panel menu).
I think I tried to move her to the freezer as well and failed, but I'm not 100% sure. Will re-check soon. Until then, she'll forever occupy one of my cells, uselessly, as her 48 hours of SPL-milking ended days ago... I at least hope my invaders see her as well and try to release her, to no avail.

Edit: Don't know if it's a bug or intended, but if you have a full restroom and release one of the prisoners and then try to capture another on a raid, the game might still tell you that your restroom is full. You might have to exit the restroom menu after the release and reopen it for the game to recognise that you now have an empty spot there. Very annoying.

cakely

Regarding Okusa:

I've never had access to the floor, and it has never appeared in my expedition list. I have beaten the level 16 mini-boss.

Today, I found an escalator up to it from floor 12. It was locked. on the other side.

Now, Okusa has started to appear on my expedition list, so I guess you only have to set foot on the floor for that to start.

What's the actual unlocked route to Okusa? From the floor above, I guess?

Grinchy

Banned
It's very odd that the Cleaver Sabre, which does lightning damage, does not count as a lightning weapon for the quest asking you to kill enemies with a lightning weapon.

it could be the culprit. i had terrible poison stats on one of my characters and got poisoned on the first hit of any attack. changed armor and got a better + poison stat and started noticing the claws didn't get me as much. and in fact, i was able to walk through most snail areas unharmed.

Poison Eater decal is your best friend. Changed the game for me. I'm going to make sure every fighter I have has one on.

hbkdx12

Regarding Okusa:

I've never had access to the floor, and it has never appeared in my expedition list. I have beaten the level 16 mini-boss.

Today, I found an escalator up to it from floor 12. It was locked. on the other side.

Now, Okusa has started to appear on my expedition list, so I guess you only have to set foot on the floor for that to start.

What's the actual unlocked route to Okusa? From the floor above, I guess?

yes on all counts. You can only send expeditions to places you've been to and discovered and you have to go the long route to initially open okusa

Landford

Banned
game of the forever. hope it gets updated for a long, long time.

Im 30 hours and just got to the surface. And now there are a whole new batch of armors, fire weapons and new mushrooms and decals and now Im invading other people and joining in battles against other nations and stamping stamps.

I cannot fathom how good this game is. I just cant.

Frimaire

Does anybody even bother fighting back against Cali now?
The rewards aren't worth it if you know your team is going to lose.
My team has 4 losses and 3 of them are from Cali...

Landford

Banned
Does anybody even bother fighting back against Cali now?
The rewards aren't worth it if you know your team is going to lose.
My team has 4 losses and 3 of them are from Cali...

I think many people saw they were losing and decided to waste their free team change to go to Cali, if you are suffering for gold getting some free rewards by joining them is useful. They should revise how team combat works, so far its just who has the most members win 100% of the time.

I've killed U-10 and Coen and can't progress because everything is locked. What am I missing guys?

The 30s can be a bit of a maze until you hit 40. Just keep trying different ways.

If you are really stuck look up maps for Complete Floor Rotation on the Let It Die Subreddit.

closer013

The 30s can be a bit of a maze until you hit 40. Just keep trying different ways.

If you are really stuck look up maps for Complete Floor Rotation on the Let It Die Subreddit.

Thanks for the reply, but using the map I can see that my progression is railroaded. Maybe I have to wait for the next rotation but that doesn't seem right.

closer013

Heh, I'm an idiot. I pussed out on fighting Goto-10 because I was in bad shape. Beat him now, problem solved. Duh...

That guilty feeling of burning 5 deathmetals on floor 23 boss as none of my weapons did any real damage and he always oneshotted me... But i refused to give up

Grinchy

Banned
That guilty feeling of burning 5 deathmetals on floor 23 boss as none of my weapons did any real damage and he always oneshotted me... But i refused to give up

I've been farming that boss today and it's really frustrating. I hate when it does the jump and I visually look like I'm nowhere near it but take the damage from it anyway, or when it does the roll attack 6 times in a row.

I am going to look into leveling up the big axe, I guess. My cleaver sabre doesn't do much damage, nor does the iron. I kinda just throw a bunch of mushrooms down and hope it eats them so I can use a crushroom and bash it with the axe while it's stunned.

Slowshroom and hot iron upgraded as much admin possible was the my best method for the lv23 boss. When I was at lv75 I had to use 5 slowshroom and 4-5 hot iron. The shroom that makes you go invisible to enemy sight still made the boss move around too much sometime

closer013

I've been farming that boss today and it's really frustrating. I hate when it does the jump and I visually look like I'm nowhere near it but take the damage from it anyway, or when it does the roll attack 6 times in a row.

I am going to look into leveling up the big axe, I guess. My cleaver sabre doesn't do much damage, nor does the iron. I kinda just throw a bunch of mushrooms down and hope it eats them so I can use a crushroom and bash it with the axe while it's stunned.

Farming him is a breeze by using tier 3 Irons and attack up shrooms:
1.)Upgrade the iron until it needs its first Red Metal.
2.)Build the Fire Rod
3.)Check to you have the Fire Rod Quest. If you don't, advance until it becomes available.
4.) Complete the Fire Rod quest to get your Iron's Red Metal and upgrade your Iron, this will also be helpful for melting armor on the 30s.

Fistwell

Hi.

So I started the game maybe a week ago or something. I really like grindy games where you improve your gear, stat, etc, so this was right down my aisle. I do wish there was a bit more to the combat although I'm OK with it as is.

I had been grinding mats to improve gear in preparation of the lvl20 boss, was taking my time due to still feeling the sting of the step up from grade 2 to grade 3 chars. lvling chars is still painful due to overpowering haters wrecking my shit if I'm not super careful. I've had a string of boneheaded moves and stupid deaths, actually lost a bunch of mats stupidly that set me back a few hours.

I figured, fuck it, I'll just cheese lvl20 boss with invisishrooms or whatever and see what's next.

Boy am I glad I did, early 20s floors are a nice and welcome change of setting. Was getting absolutely burned out on the sewer/shit city setting. Levels seem kind of bigger as well, with more 'set piece' rooms? Or that may be due to me not having spent 10s of hours on them yet lol.

Anyways, much fun. Thank you. Carry on. /dear journal

Edit: Trap room? Trap room. But the room isnt the trap, I'M THE FUCKING TRAP YOU STUPID BITCH MUHAHAHA! is how I feel after I crush trap room mobs.

Grinchy

Banned
Farming him is a breeze by using tier 3 Irons and attack up shrooms:
1.)Upgrade the iron until it needs its first Red Metal.
2.)Build the Fire Rod
3.)Check to you have the Fire Rod Quest. If you don't, advance until it becomes available.
4.) Complete the Fire Rod quest to get your Iron's Red Metal and upgrade your Iron, this will also be helpful for melting armor on the 30s.

I do have the fire rod, I'll have to keep checking for the quest associated with it. Tomorrow I was going to stop grinding and go back to progression, so I'll probably open it up.

What is this Iron thing you guys are talking about?
Such a thing does not exist in my game....
tears.gif

hbkdx12

I would imagine fall damage would be the quickest/safest since it would be very consistent once you found a good spot on any floor.
I just ended up standing in a fire while naked. I burned down faster than i thought i would.

Hi.

So I started the game maybe a week ago or something. I really like grindy games where you improve your gear, stat, etc, so this was right down my aisle. I do wish there was a bit more to the combat although I'm OK with it as is.

I had been grinding mats to improve gear in preparation of the lvl20 boss, was taking my time due to still feeling the sting of the step up from grade 2 to grade 3 chars. lvling chars is still painful due to overpowering haters wrecking my shit if I'm not super careful. I've had a string of boneheaded moves and stupid deaths, actually lost a bunch of mats stupidly that set me back a few hours.

I figured, fuck it, I'll just cheese lvl20 boss with invisishrooms or whatever and see what's next.

Boy am I glad I did, early 20s floors are a nice and welcome change of setting. Was getting absolutely burned out on the sewer/shit city setting. Levels seem kind of bigger as well, with more 'set piece' rooms? Or that may be due to me not having spent 10s of hours on them yet lol.

Anyways, much fun. Thank you. Carry on. /dear journal

Edit: Trap room? Trap room. But the room isnt the trap, I'M THE FUCKING TRAP YOU STUPID BITCH MUHAHAHA! is how I feel after I crush trap room mobs.
The themes of the floors change every 10 floors and they do get bigger and more labyrinthine.

What is this Iron thing you guys are talking about?
Such a thing does not exist in my game....
tears.gif
It's probably the 1 early game weapon that will serve you well for the entire game. You should eventually find the blueprint if you thoroughly explore the earlier floors (10 and below)

It's probably the 1 early game weapon that will serve you well for the entire game. You should eventually find the blueprint if you thoroughly explore the earlier floors (10 and below)
Nope, I ran the lower floors multiple times and nothing.
Like I said, this thing is not in my game... damn you random number generator.

I feel like I gotta be doing something wrong. Machete haters stunlock me to death if they hit me once. Full health, 2 second chances, doesn't matter. I just stand there taking it.

There has to be something I'm missing about these absurd stunlocks.

Yes, there is. If you are attacking and they interrupt you, your character will emote this "sweatdrops" icon and stand there taking it all like a ch(a|i|u)mp. Obviously this tends to be the case when you wanted to attack first and they were faster, which against machete wielders is a quite likely occurrence.

You should never wear armor with -% to slash in the 10-19 floors. Hell, I wouldn't wear such armor anywhere, slashing weapons are almost always the strongest. I recommend the apron or the sengoku set.

Besides that, when you face a machete wielder you should either kill it with a ranged weapon, bait them to attack first while you walk back, block their first combo and retaliate, or try a perfect block / parry. Trying to simply attack first, even with a machete yourself, is asking to be made into confetti.

How the fuck is this game free. Is the best Dark Souls since 1. I feel ashamed Im not paying money for this.

Then do! The one time 30 DM bundle is amazing value, use that to expand your storage (you will need it, believe me).

Sande

Yes, there is. If you are attacking and they interrupt you, your character will emote this "sweatdrops" icon and stand there taking it all like a ch(a|i|u)mp. Obviously this tends to be the case when you wanted to attack first and they were faster, which against machete wielders is a quite likely occurrence.

You should never wear armor with -% to slash in the 10-19 floors. Hell, I wouldn't wear such armor anywhere, slashing weapons are almost always the strongest. I recommend the apron or the sengoku set.

Besides that, when you face a machete wielder you should either kill it with a ranged weapon, bait them to attack first while you walk back, block their first combo and retaliate, or try a perfect block / parry. Trying to simply attack first, even with a machete yourself, is asking to be made into confetti.
Ok, thanks. I've been mostly doing what you suggested in the last paragraph but sometimes they get me. I've been ignoring the percentages on clothing and mostly leveling up what looks the best. As luck would have it, pretty much all my leveled up gear has -% slashing.

It's pretty crazy that you have be afraid of this one weapon type so much more than anything else. Although I'm starting to see crossbows and flaming long swords and those are nothing to scoff at either.

Edit: Another thing I've been baffled by is really odd whiffing on many ranged weapons. Like, I'm almost point blank pointing a shotgun or an arc welder straight at an enemy and it just completely misses. Is that just wonky hitboxes or a bug or what? I pretty much can't use these weapons because when they do this against a hater I just die.

Syysch

It's pretty crazy that you have be afraid of this one weapon type so much more than anything else. Although I'm starting to see crossbows and flaming long swords and those are nothing to scoff at either.

Edit: Another thing I've been baffled by is really odd whiffing on many ranged weapons. Like, I'm almost point blank pointing a shotgun or an arc welder straight at an enemy and it just completely misses. Is that just wonky hitboxes or a bug or what? I pretty much can't use these weapons because when they do this against a hater I just die.

F1-10 has a bit of every damage type
F11-20 is primarily piercing
F21-30 is primarily slashing
F31-40 is primarily blunt

The shotgun and welding gun are garbage. They fire pellets outward with rarely any going in the middle of the expanding ring. If you're at any kind of range, you often just shoot around the target.

ZangBa

The difficulty spike at f31 is absurd. I definitely recommend getting to grade 5 ASAP, especially since even at grade 4, you will encounter grade 5 haters. I think Cleaver Saber screamers/haters are my most feared. It's fast, and they can decide how many attacks they want to do up to 7 times I think. If you get hit from a hater, you are definitely eating the 7 hits. This is worse if you get ambushed and there's a guy with the pitching machine as well.

The HP difference from grade 4 to 5 is crazy.

The machete is quite OP indeed. We've been wondering for a while if it'll get nerfed. If you see a hater with a flaming long sword where you're at, be really careful, as that's a rank three weapon and hurts like all hell.

The shotgun seems to be completely broken indeed. I have recorded several clips of it completely whiffing in impossible situations (all bullets going through the target, point-blank), I should compile them all into a video and send it to the devs. Hopefully they'll fix it soon. As it is, it's the only weapon I never bother to pick up except for selling, even fists are safer, as a shotgun whiff is so unexpected and leaves you completely wide open.

I only picked the arc welder once and it seemed equally broken. These two unfortunately make Shooters quite less useful than they should.

F1-10 has a bit of every damage type
F11-20 is primarily piercing
F21-30 is primarily slashing
F31-40 is primarily blunt

It's really more like each floor has enemies wielding thematic weapons. F11-20 is all War Ensemble i.e. military weapons, which is mostly guns but also very often machetes. Guns tend to be less devastating than melee weapons so I prefer to stack slash protection even there.

The shotgun and welding gun are garbage. They fire pellets outward with rarely any going in the middle of the expanding ring. If you're at any kind of range, you often just shoot around the target.

There is something broken with them in that even shooting literally point blank it's a coin toss as to whether they'll hit or not, and when they don't you can clearly see all the pellets going right through the target. It's pretty obviously a bug.

Joey Ravn

Banned
So I got to floor 16 and
Jin-Die lvl 3
absolutely kicked my ass. She shoot that beam-like attack three times in a row without letting me recover and boom, I was dead. Spent a Death Metal to revive... got killed the same way.

Fuck that boss.

Volcynika

Had like 7 dollars left over in my PSN wallet, so got the 30 DM package and greatly expanded my storage, since I was hurting for space lately. At least that's taken care of.

So I got to floor 16 and
Jin-Die lvl 3
absolutely kicked my ass. She shoot that beam-like attack three times in a row without letting me recover and boom, I was dead. Spent a Death Metal to revive... got killed the same way.

Fuck that boss.

As soon as you start, head on left behind the small hut. Hide there until she spawns on top of the hut, jump up and wail a couple hits and retreat back down. Rinse and repeat :D Be careful not to fall down though!

Syysch

The machete is quite OP indeed. We've been wondering for a while if it'll get nerfed.

The machete's just fast, back up and it shouldnt hit you. Its damage falls off considerably when you hit the 20s and it pretty much never recovers.

It's really more like each floor has enemies wielding thematic weapons. F11-20 is all War Ensemble i.e. military weapons, which is mostly guns but also very often machetes. Guns tend to be less devastating than melee weapons so I prefer to stack slash protection even there.

I think it is the case that they're themed to the 4 different factions, but that's largely the damage type compositions you'll run into on those floors, with 1 or 2 weapons outside of the main one, like the machete in the 10s or a ranged weapon in the 20s/30s.

The machete's just fast, back up and it shouldnt hit you. Its damage falls off considerably when you hit the 20s and it pretty much never recovers.

It's fast, has a lot of range and does a lot of damage; all advantages and no downsides. It's not balanced at all for the floors where it first appears in.

Syysch

It's fast, has a lot of range and does a lot of damage; all advantages and no downsides. It's not balanced at all for the floors where it first appears in.

It's barely more atk than the hammer, and a bit less than the iron (which shreds armor and combos indefinitely until blocked or rolled away from). I mean i understand where you're coming from, i used the hell out of it on those floors, but it's just a new weapon after getting used to 10 floors of other stuff. It has a bit of recovery time to its hits, though, and pretty much never hits you if you just walk backwards as long as the enemy's not in your face already.

I just think if there's a list of stuff that's OP, it's solely comprised of mushrooms and *maybe* the cleaver saber in the hands of a hater, who can perfect combo every time (screamers only hit 1-2 times with it).

Volcynika

Was able to push forward and beat Coen and Goto, and got to 37F elevator. Then the floor rotation gods smiled upon me, and two floors later, at the 39F elevator. Of course, the 40F passage was blocked, so I have to go hunting for Jin-Die. Not sure where she will be though, so hopefully I can find her soon. I'm almost to the floor 40 boss though! :D

Top Bottom