• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let It Die |OT| F2P roguelike Dark Souls with a skateboarding skeleton

big_z

I don't get it, a striker starts out with higher HP and strength(class specialties) compared to a collector but when both are maxed out a striker has 35% lower hp. It's like the hp scaling is busted.

Has anyone else noticed this with other class types?

I'm kinda confused how this Fight selection works. It's feeding me nothing but newbie Waiting Rooms with several hours of away time.
I guess that means it doesn't select from the pool of active fighters?
I feel as if NOT playing and letting my defenders do the work would be the better choice here for my team, since it would knock the losers out of the Fight.

darklin0

Banned
I'm kinda confused how this Fight selection works. It's feeding me nothing but newbie Waiting Rooms with several hours of away time.
I guess that means it doesn't select from the pool of active fighters?
I feel as if NOT playing and letting my defenders do the work would be the better choice here for my team, since it would knock the losers out of the Fight.

There is player rank and character tier. Rank curves you on the available players depending on the character tier you are able to use. So if you have tier 2 fighters you will only ever raid other tier 2 players.

thisbeard

I just joined a team after talking to Tetsuo for the first time but didn't choose to raid just yet. I'm wondering if other people can now raid me, and if so, what am I going to loose? I have 40K coins and some splithium and a collector lv1 who's inventory is full of my rarest materials.

Will fighters in freezers be safe, inventory and all?
Do I only get raided when I'm out in the tower myself or can I get raided when not playing the game?
I'm guessing if I do the initial tutorial raid, I can start spending my splithium?

Thanks for any advice!

There is player rank and character tier. Rank curves you on the available players depending on the character tier you are able to use. So if you have tier 2 fighters you will only ever raid other tier 2 players.
Hmm, well my character is tier 5 but I'm still Bronze Rank so that must be it. Only have 890 TDM points and I'm earning like one at a time here against these low levels..
At least I'll get that trophy today I guess! Haha. Thanks for the info.

I just joined a team after talking to Tetsuo for the first time but didn't choose to raid just yet. I'm wondering if other people can now raid me, and if so, what am I going to loose? I have 40K coins and some splithium and a collector lv1 who's inventory is full of my rarest materials.

Will fighters in freezers be safe, inventory and all?
Do I only get raided when I'm out in the tower myself or can I get raided when not playing the game?
I'm guessing if I do the initial tutorial raid, I can start spending my splithium?

Thanks for any advice!

If your mule is in the freezer and not an active defender, his stuff is safe. If you set him as a defender and he gets captured, he'll come back naked when rescued or ransomed.

You can get raided any time you aren't in your waiting room, on or offline.

Yeah, finishing the tdm tutorial let's you start upgrading your waiting room. Though technically you could have been spending SPlithium upgrading items before that.

Hmm, well my character is tier 5 but I'm still Bronze Rank so that must be it. Only have 890 TDM points and I'm earning like one at a time here against these low levels..
At least I'll get that trophy today I guess! Haha. Thanks for the info.

The bronze medal is determined by your tdm points, and has nothing to do with your rank. Rank (as in, the number labeled Rank, that influences who you can raid) is determined by what waiting room upgrades you have, and (I think) what tier of defenders you could have.

I routinely see people with zero tdm points, but rank 30ish in my raid list. Tdm points are a good indicator of how much someone has bothered to raid or set up good defenses. Rank, not so much.

Really seems like an overly complicated rating system. Doesn't help that people keep using labels interchangeably either, mixed terminology is just adding to the confusion.

thisbeard

If your mule is in the freezer and not an active defender, his stuff is safe. If you set him as a defender and he gets captured, he'll come back naked when rescued or ransomed.

You can get raided any time you aren't in your waiting room, on or offline.

Yeah, finishing the tdm tutorial let's you start upgrading your waiting room. Though technically you could have been spending SPlithium upgrading items before that.

Got it. Thanks for clearing that up. And stuff in my rewards box is also unaffected right? Is the storage safe from the raid? What gets hit by a raid on my Wait Room other than gold and spLithium from my bank and defenders I imagine?

Cheers!

Got it. Thanks for clearing that up. And stuff in my rewards box is also unaffected right? Is the storage safe from the raid? What gets hit by a raid on my Wait Room other than gold and spLithium from my bank and defenders I imagine?

Cheers!
Yep, your storage and reward boxes are safe. So is your decal collection at the mushroom lady. Only your bank, tank, and defenders (rarely, when they get captured) are vulnerable during a raid.

thisbeard

Yep, your storage and reward boxes are safe. So is your decal collection at the mushroom lady. Only your bank, tank, and defenders (rarely, when they get captured) are vulnerable during a raid.

Wicked! Thanks again.

For what it's worth, I just logged back on after only talking to Tetsuo for the first time yesterday and not taking him up on the first raid, and my base was not raided overnight while I was offline. So maybe it's only after you do a raid first do other people get in on raiding your Wait Room? like, as far as I can tell, I can't even set up defenders yet, so I imagine I'm safe from raids for the time being.

Obviously can't progress much in the game otherwise but the reason I'm worried is that I won't be able to get back online for awhile so I want to make sure my stuff and progress while be safe! Hah, this game is rad!

Hmmm, still got a notification that my faction was "fighting" another faction though.

I don't get it, a striker starts out with higher HP and strength(class specialties) compared to a collector but when both are maxed out a striker has 35% lower hp. It's like the hp scaling is busted.

Has anyone else noticed this with other class types?

Do they have a higher VIT stat? That affects how much damage they actually take right?

Nose Master

Is there a small cancel window for rolling after striking? A lot of the heavy weapons have longer recovery frames than hitstun.

I really want to like this, but the combat feels real low rent.

Uthred

Damage really dropped off on floor 23, need the new weapon tier but don't have the boatloads of black wolf metals needed

Is there a small cancel window for rolling after striking? A lot of the heavy weapons have longer recovery frames than hitstun.

Haven't played around with the axe much, but as far as the pickaxe and hockey stick go, just swinging with R2 isn't a good way to use those weapons. Try comboing R2 after the faster L2 swings for the deathblow.

YoungOne

Okay they need some sort of cool down on someone attacking your waiting room got put in back to back slow-mo fights and it's pretty annoying.

Finnroth

So...every floor spawns now invaders that one hit me. I guess thats the end? I lose money every run, i don't think I can get anywhere without some kind of miracle.

phant0m

1 on 1 combat isn't bad but its VERY easy to get overwhelmed with 3+ enemies in a battle.

So...every floor spawns now invaders that one hit me. I guess thats the end? I lose money every run, i don't think I can get anywhere without some kind of miracle.

They really need to make getting invaded optional or at least match on player level.

Okay they need some sort of cool down on someone attacking your waiting room got put in back to back slow-mo fights and it's pretty annoying.

Do you have someone in your bathroom? I stopped capturing people because it led to nonstop attacks (although I would probably fare better against them now)

- The game lists the command to reload ammo weapons as L2 + X (or R2 + X). In reality, you want to hold X and then press either L2 or R2.
YOU CAN MANUALLY RELOAD?! GAME CHANGER

I've already unlocked tier 3 characters and just now find this out?
1 on 1 combat isn't bad but its VERY easy to get overwhelmed with 3+ enemies in a battle.

They really need to make getting invaded optional or at least match on player level.

Super optional, just join a low member team.

Super optional, just join a low member team.
I don't think he's talking about being raided, but finding haters scattered around there floors.

If you're having trouble with haters, remember the mushroom! Stomping on frogs (of which there are plenty on the first floor, before you get to any real enemies) gets you tear gas mushrooms that will let you stun haters. Often you just need that first strike.

The fluffy fungus sleep mushrooms will let you walk behind a hater to suplex them (and then stomp), which is usually enough to win.

Gotta use all the available options to stay alive.

Frimaire

who are haters? when do i face NPC/boot and when real opponent? how do i know that?

Haters are the guys with orange names over their heads.
They're never player controlled, always AI.
Some are other players' characters, though, and some are pre-made by the developers.
The dev ones are usually better equipped and their names start with like YMMK@ or something.

who are haters? when do i face NPC/boot and when real opponent? how do i know that?
Everything you fight is an npc. Haters are dead fighters that have been turned into stronger enemies. They have orange names, and will fight other enemies near them. They are the only ones that actually speak instead of making gutteral noises, so you can use that as an early warning.

Finnroth

I don't think he's talking about being raided, but finding haters scattered around there floors.

If you're having trouble with haters, remember the mushroom! Stomping on frogs (of which there are plenty on the first floor, before you get to any real enemies) gets you tear gas mushrooms that will let you stun haters. Often you just need that first strike.

The fluffy fungus sleep mushrooms will let you walk behind a hater to suplex them (and then stomp), which is usually enough to win.

Gotta use all the available options to stay alive.

Yeah those and the hunters. I think I haven't used sleep and tear gas shrooms enough, maybe that will be enough to get further. One hit kills are a pain, though.

Edit: Well, most of the time they are aligned front to entrance, so throwing is basically suicide :/

Nose Master

In small rooms with multiple quick enemies it feels like the only safe option is kiting until they friendly fire each other, which feels sloppy.

As far as comboing with both hands, you just punch then use heavy weapons? Wouldn't the recovery/hitstun being shitty still be bad? If the only safe way to use two handed weapons is as a killing blow, that makes them entirely obsolete.

So today started the fight between NY and Canada.

I go in with my underleveled guy on my first fight, he uses the iron, somehow BLINDS HIMSELF, and then gets executed by the Canadian player.

Quickest start and finish to a public event that I've had.

I still kinda like this game. XD

In small rooms with multiple quick enemies it feels like the only safe option is kiting until they friendly fire each other, which feels sloppy.

As far as comboing with both hands, you just punch then use heavy weapons? Wouldn't the recovery/hitstun being shitty still be bad? If the only safe way to use two handed weapons is as a killing blow, that makes them entirely obsolete.

Fireworks do area damage and can stun multiples. Firework rage attack melts groups. Many mushrooms are area affect our can crowd control. Ranged weapons can thin rising herds.

Two handed weapons have a faster attack on l2 that you can use to set up the slower, heavier r2. There is no weapon switching involved. On weaker enemies sometimes one r2 is enough to get the gore attack prompt or an instant kill. Just depends on what you are fighting how useful they can be.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Once you reach the 11th floor you'll have access to pillbugs and practically a permanent 50% buff to your HP.

Killing a pillbug grants a lifeshroom. Cooking a lifeshroom makes the HP recovery on death 50%. So taking fatal damage isn't fatal -- it's an immediate 50% heal.

Also, if you consume a lifeshroom, the effect works across all characters. If you switch, the effect is still active, until you take fatal damage. And consuming the shroom is an active effect, so it doesn't take up an inventory spot.

Example:

9x3czZF.gif

Easiest way to kill a pillbug (that doesn't cost resources) is to walk up beside one, stomp it to stun, and then use the knife special attack to stab it with X.

This should give you a pretty good cushion now while adventuring, and free up some of your normally precautionary inventory space.

edit: I think they'll nerf this. Too powerful.

The lifeshroom is strong, but I'm not quite sure it needs a nerf. Both times it's gone off for me it did so mid hater machete combo, and all it did was revive me into the goretastic state, which the hater was all too capable of taking advantage of.

But at least Uncle Death gave the hater two thumbs up, so there's that.

Skrams

Once you reach the 11th floor you'll have access to pillbugs and practically a permanent 50% buff to your HP.

Killing a pillbug grants a lifeshroom. Cooking a lifeshroom makes the HP recovery on death 50%. So taking fatal damage isn't fatal -- it's an immediate 50% heal.

Also, if you consume a lifeshroom, the effect works across all characters. If you switch, the effect is still active, until you take fatal damage. And consuming the shroom is an active effect, so it doesn't take up an inventory spot.

Example:

9x3czZF.gif

Easiest way to kill a pillbug (that doesn't cost resources) is to walk up beside one, stomp it to stun, and then use the knife special attack to stab it with X.

This should give you a pretty good cushion now while adventuring, and free up some of your normally precautionary inventory space.

edit: I think they'll nerf this. Too powerful.
It's a nice cushion have, but it's not OP at all from my experience. You don't have invincibility after death like a death metal revive. If you're in a death combo from a hater with a machete you're almost guaranteed to either roll out of their with 100 health or still fucking eat it. Lifeshrooms have not made my job climbing much easier at all when I'm really in the shit. If you have any shroom to complain that's OP it should be the cloak shroom. 15-25 seconds to deal all the damage you want to a boss with no repercussions. It's amazing.

Mahonay

Banned
Really enjoying what I've played so far. Just started last night. Should have figured I would love this. Grasshopper games are always right up my alley.

One question, which button changes the damn radio in the arcade? I can't seem to change songs.

Top Bottom