• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let It Die |OT| F2P roguelike Dark Souls with a skateboarding skeleton

squidyj

Yep, when all else fails, make stuff up. Anything but admitting you just didn't pay attention. :D

Honestly the way this game presents information at the beginning is actually super shitty. here, have fifteen info dumps until your eyes bleed while you're still not entirely sure what the last thing was all about lets dump some more bullshit on you just because we fucking can. A more measured introduction would have been a good idea.

derFeef

I really don't want to go out shopping for a PS4 as christmas approaches, it's going to be hell out there. But I also can't stop watching the streams of this game.

delSai

Another raid successfully stopped. Seeing those outlines in the Waiting Room really is the best

I really don't want to go out shopping for a PS4 as christmas approaches, it's going to be hell out there. But I also can't stop watching the streams of this game.
The game wont just disappear lol. When you get a Ps4 you'll still be able to download it. Until then enjoy the streams!

derFeef

The game wont just disappear lol. When you get a Ps4 you'll still be able to download it. Until then enjoy the streams!

:D I know. It just seems like a game that's best when everyone is enjoying it currently, considering it is very online-driven. Hopefully it won't be tough as nails when I join.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The combat is atrocious and is putting me off this game.
It has a learning curve and is intentionally very punishing, and janky before you get some mastery levels and the hang on any individual weapon. But it's not atrocious by any means. It's extremely satisfying once you know what you're doing.
Eating the wrong Mushrooms is part of the game dudes

We've all done it and we will do it again
true
Honestly the way this game presents information at the beginning is actually super shitty. here, have fifteen info dumps until your eyes bleed while you're still not entirely sure what the last thing was all about lets dump some more bullshit on you just because we fucking can. A more measured introduction would have been a good idea.
At the same time, the Souls games have just as many systems and mechanics under the hood (if not more by endgame) while simply taking the approach of not explaining any of them at all. I sometimes wonder if they'd have been better off with that approach, while at the same time this one makes it more accessible at the cost of overloading new players with huge tracts of information.

I don't know if there's a perfect way to handle it, especially with what amounts to a brand new financial model on console, but a more piecemeal introduction could work.
Holy shit, the fist mastery upgrades just keep getting better and better...
So glorious. Recommended to all.

ijPs1q0.jpg

Damn fam.
I got a decal that gives you 50% bonus damage when suplexing enemies... Need to combo that one with this!

MaKTaiL

You know, you actually have to read them... I read them all and I learned everything I needed from them right from the get go. The mushroom touchpad controls were pretty obvious and were definitely clear what you needed to do. Don't blame the game. If you see any first time playthroughs of other games you would be amazed how people don't ever read what's right in front of them. I watched a guy yesterday playing Hitman for the first time. The game was telling him with big letters: APPROACH THE BOAT. and the streamer kept dying in frustation: WHAT DO I DO? He is a very famous streamer too. So yeah, games teach, people don't always pay attention.

I wonder if people give their people two weapons so they actually use both of them.

Tested my base, the first two people tried attacking me only with fists, despite already holding a weapon.

MrDaravon

Fuuuuuck, I finally got attacked (twice) and they took my prisoner with like 90 minutes left to go before being converted :(. It was the prisoner you get for completing the AI/tutorial Raid so I don't know that it was any good or that it mattered, but I just wanted to know what would happen :(

Weirdly I have NO Rescue option available at all from Tetsuo? I had it before when I never had anything taken and I had the Random/Rescue/Favorites options under Raid, now I just have Random and Favorites.

I still don't really understand the meta or menus around Raiding lol.

Fuuuuuck, I finally got attacked (twice) and they took my prisoner with like 90 minutes left to go before being converted :(. It was the prisoner you get for completing the AI/tutorial Raid so I don't know that it was any good or that it mattered, but I just wanted to know what would happen :(

Weirdly I have NO Rescue option available at all from Tetsuo? I had it before when I never had anything taken and I had the Random/Rescue/Favorites options under Raid, now I just have Random and Favorites.

Is your team in a fight? You can't go rescue your fighter during a fight, you'll have to count on someone else wanting that juicy rescue bonus to get your fighter back on your behalf.

When the fight ends, you'll be able to go rescue, assuming they stay captive that long.

Baliis

Neither do I apparently since idk how you have a favorites tab lol

Vaga

It has a learning curve and is intentionally very punishing, and janky before you get some mastery levels and the hang on any individual weapon. But it's not atrocious by any means. It's extremely satisfying once you know what you're doing.

true

At the same time, the Souls games have just as many systems and mechanics under the hood (if not more by endgame) while simply taking the approach of not explaining any of them at all. I sometimes wonder if they'd have been better off with that approach, while at the same time this one makes it more accessible at the cost of overloading new players with huge tracts of information.

I don't know if there's a perfect way to handle it, especially with what amounts to a brand new financial model on console, but a more piecemeal introduction could work.

So glorious. Recommended to all.

Nah no matter how you twist it around is still horrible by today's standard. Every animation feels like your character is bolted to the ground and those awful stunlocks? Fuck them, even with the small issues like camera not following the target or having the same button for block and evade, simply comparing it with Souls combat is laughable.

True I wasn't expecting much since jankiness is the creators trademark but that plus grinding and f2p aspect is off putting to say the least.

Skrams

I wonder if people give their people two weapons so they actually use both of them.

Tested my base, the first two people tried attacking me only with fists, despite already holding a weapon.
Yeah, I've seen this issue. I usually give my guys a machete and butterfly knife since both fuck up health pretty well.
Oh shit, that sounds amazing for later levels. Great sticker design too
I get it's hiding it's eyes, but I still think goatse.

Syysch

and those awful stunlocks?

You arent really stunned unless that sweat/whatever effect is present. If youre just getting bludgeoned and unable to roll away, you might still be able to pull up a block by holding circle in between the attacks, soak a little bit of the damage that way and then return the favor after their last hit. It seems you have to retry for the block after getting hit each time though, if you just hold it after the first hit, it wont magically block for you if there's an opening after the 2nd.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I didn't compare it to Souls combat. But there is more nuance to it than it seems at first and getting the hang of Perfect Guard, unlocking the L1/R1 moves and knowing when to use Rage make a big difference. The "stun locks" in particular you will come to realize you aren't actually as helpless as you feel. Anyway I will happily agree to disagree, I don't think it's horrible at all. If I did, there would not be much for me here. But it is actually pretty satisfying when it clicks.

squidyj

The souls games are significantly less verbose but they do have developer placed signs down to introduce players to mechanics in very economical terms. I also think withholding information until it's relevant to the player is a much better idea.

You know, you actually have to read them... I read them all and I learned everything I needed from them right from the get go. The mushroom touchpad controls were pretty obvious and were definitely clear what you needed to do. Don't blame the game. If you see any first time playthroughs of other games you would be amazed how people don't ever read what's right in front of them. I watched a guy yesterday playing Hitman for the first time. The game was telling him with big letters: APPROACH THE BOAT. and the streamer kept dying in frustation: WHAT DO I DO? He is a very famous streamer too. So yeah, games teach, people don't always pay attention.

like i said infodumps are a shitty way to communicate. You can blame people who tune out 20 pages of text all you want but if enough people are tuning it out you're not communicating properly. They're not bad players for not wanting to read through the 10th blue balloon in as many seconds. Just because you're a teacher doesn't mean you're a good teacher.

I didn't compare it to Souls combat. But there is more nuance to it than it seems at first and getting the hang of Perfect Guard, unlocking the L1/R1 moves and knowing when to use Rage make a big difference. The "stun locks" in particular you will come to realize you aren't actually as helpless as you feel. Anyway I will happily agree to disagree, I don't think it's horrible at all. If I did, there would not be much for me here. But it is actually pretty satisfying when it clicks.

I was helpless once, Turned around to throw some stuff in a fire and three dudes came up behind me boxing me in. couldn't roll or fight my way out of it :(

Tried raiding a base with a ton of level 38-40 folks with the white gear only using fists.

Managed to escape with my gear, but goddamn that's annoying. Guessing that's 3-star gear? Or maybe 4? I was only doing 100 damage with my sword

Uthred

like i said infodumps are a shitty way to communicate. You can blame people who tune out 20 pages of text all you want but if enough people are tuning it out you're not communicating properly. They're not bad players for not wanting to read through the 10th blue balloon in as many seconds. Just because you're a teacher doesn't mean you're a good teacher.

Infodumps? Its two or three short paragraphs, dat hyperbole, also you cant have it both ways, if theyre banging through a balloon a second then having to read for 10 seconds is hardly an onerous task. Give me that over the way the souls games handle it, and they are not "less verbose" they are purposefully obtuse.

Cracklox

Goddam it. Tried this over the weekend thanks to the hoopla around here and....... I'm not sure I can do it. It's interesting what they're going for, and some of the stuff later on sounds really cool, but I don't think I can handle the early jank. Also the PS2 era graphics aren't helping. It was kinda amusing beating people up with a clothes smoother though

Haven't uninstalled yet. I wanna try some more and see if it clicks.

Nah no matter how you twist it around is still horrible by today's standard. Every animation feels like your character is bolted to the ground and those awful stunlocks? Fuck them, even with the small issues like camera not following the target or having the same button for block and evade, simply comparing it with Souls combat is laughable.

True I wasn't expecting much since jankiness is the creators trademark but that plus grinding and f2p aspect is off putting to say the least.

Yeah. This sums up pretty well how I feel at the moment. I would use a more diplomatic term then horrible though

Navid

This game is terrible for the type of player that I am, I've found myself starting from the beginning point and going up the floors until I fill out my inventory with stuff I want... then I start over again.

I've reached level 20 fist mastery and not yet reached floor 10 yet. I've moved to using other weapons now and they just feel so week compared to my fists. :D

Also have crafted Special Forces Beret E +4, Dark Ryback Body & Pants E so pretty much can not be killed as I keep going through my never ending scavenging loop of the first handful of levels.

For fuck's sake. This generation of gamers and their mosquito-like attention span makes it hard not to give up hope. We won't ever be able to have games more complex than "shoot the other dudes" because if they tell you about its systems it's a "shitty infodump", if they walk you through them it's "endless handholding"; and if they leave you to figure out it's "nobody can figure this shit". Can't win no matter who the devs do; no surprise they are all moving to making mindless mobile games.

If you can't put the damn effort to read the already very condensed and 100% relevant information the game tells you, and you don't pay attention when the game actually forces you to throw a mushroom, and you can't even be arsed to check the tutorials in the menu later on, then the game did absolutely everything in its hand to teach you and you have no right to call it a shitty teacher; it's you who is a shitty student.

For fuck's sake. This generation of gamers and their mosquito-like attention span makes it hard not to give up hope. We won't ever be able to have games more complex than "shoot the other dudes" because if they tell you about its systems it's a "shitty infodump", if they walk you through them it's "endless handholding"; and if they leave you to figure out it's "nobody can figure this shit". Can't win no matter who the devs do; no surprise they are all moving to making mindless mobile games.

If you can't put the damn effort to read the already very condensed and 100% relevant information the game tells you, and you don't pay attention when the game actually forces you to throw a mushroom, and you can't even be arsed to check the tutorials in the menu later on, then the game did absolutely everything in its hand to teach you and you have no right to call it a shitty teacher; it's you who is a shitty student.

This is a borderline childish overreaction. I play games far more complex than this and I agree with the poster above you that the systems could be presented a lot better.

tells me everything I need to know about you and why what you say isn't worth listening to.

Yup. Children will be children. Don't listen to them.

So it keeps saying that i have a new fighter slot unlocked, but when i go to the freezer i'm unable to access the new fighter selection? Perhaps i'm missing something, is there another way to unlock a new fighter?

I did just beat the 10th level right before it started saying this, and have already got a few extra slots unlocked w/ defence upgrades if thats relevant.

MrDaravon

Is your team in a fight? You can't go rescue your fighter during a fight, you'll have to count on someone else wanting that juicy rescue bonus to get your fighter back on your behalf.

When the fight ends, you'll be able to go rescue, assuming they stay captive that long.

I have zero idea how to tell if my team is in a fight or not, but I now have the Revenge and Rescue tabs available again so maybe? Also not seeing anything that lets me get the person that was in my toilet back, with those folks once they're gone they're gone, it's not like losing a Fighter where you can rescue them?

ALSO DID THE TOWER JUST CHANGE AGAIN GOD DAMN IT

hbkdx12

So it keeps saying that i have a new fighter slot unlocked, but when i go to the freezer i'm unable to access the new fighter selection? Perhaps i'm missing something, is there another way to unlock a new fighter?

I did just beat the 10th level right before it started saying this, and have already got a few extra slots unlocked w/ defence upgrades if thats relevant.
you unlock the next tier of fighters once you get to floor 11 but you have to actually have an open slot in your freezer to access them. It sounds like that's not the case. Either get rid of one of the fighters in your freezer or go the the raid menus and try to upgrade your freezer capacity to hold more fighters

Hey Daravon! I'm afraid your prisoner is gone forever. Why that would happen is a bit long to explain (this seems familiar :D):
1) When you have someone in the process of brainwashing, and someone releases them, they go straight back to their owner. That is, it's not as if the guy who released them, in turn, captures them and puts them in their own toilet; rather, it's as if they freed them, and they go back to their original owner. Therefore, you never get an option to get them back.
2) Particularly, the dude you capture during the tutorial is a special case, as it's generated by the game for just that purpose. That is, it doesn't have an owner to go back to; if they are freed, they simply evaporate forever.

That said, you were lucky, I had my own dude released within hours of completing that tutorial. :) I don't think you get much from actually converting someone aside from the SPLithium drip during the process, so you did't lose much. I mean, you get them as a character, obviously, which might be interesting if they are high level or even a rank/class you haven't unlocked yet, but it's not bound to be the case with the tutorial guy which I believe is a rank 1 level 1 all-rounder.

tells me everything I need to know about you and why what you say isn't worth listening to.

Don't worry, it's not like anyone expected you to read more than three consecutive lines. :)

I'm assuming you mean new fighter type, not slot? If you unlocked the second tier of fighters, you need to press R1 when you are selecting their role.

If you actually meant slot, you can select the empty fighter slot by using R1 within the freezer.

I have zero idea how to tell if my team is in a fight or not, but I now have the Revenge and Rescue tabs available again so maybe? Also not seeing anything that lets me get the person that was in my toilet back, with those folks once they're gone they're gone, it's not like losing a Fighter where you can rescue them?

ALSO DID THE TOWER JUST CHANGE AGAIN GOD DAMN IT
Oh, I totally misread that, thought it was one of your fighters that got captured, not someone freeing your prisoner. As mentioned above, the prisoner went back to their rightful owner; you can't kidnap them back a second time.

squidyj

Don't worry, it's not like anyone expected you to read more than three consecutive lines. :)

You seem to be laboring under the misapprehension that I didn't read it, or that I didn't know how to use the consumables. This is false, I killed myself by eating a shockshroom in combat once but this was an accidental click on the wrong side of the pad. I'm sorry if this damages your narrative but it's not that I can't or won't read the information, it's just that it's a fundamentally poor presentation.

DrkSage

Just got a regular decal called nitro that boosts xp gain by up to 40% :( if only I could get that on premium

Leveling characters would have been a breeze

MrDaravon

So on floor 2/3 I am now finding Scorpions (which used to be at much higher floors for me) as well as completely new materials like Aluminum Cans; is this a result of the Tower shifting again, or since I unlocked Tier 2/2* fighters last night does the new "bracket" (for lack of a better term) also bump up what can be found? If that question even makes sense lol.

Hey Daravon! I'm afraid your prisoner is gone forever. Why that would happen is a bit long to explain (this seems familiar :D):
1) When you have someone in the process of brainwashing, and someone releases them, they go straight back to their owner. That is, it's not as if the guy who released them, in turn, captures them and puts them in their own toilet; rather, it's as if they freed them, and they go back to their original owner. Therefore, you never get an option to get them back.
2) Particularly, the dude you capture during the tutorial is a special case, as it's generated by the game for just that purpose. That is, it doesn't have an owner to go back to; if they are freed, they simply evaporate forever.

That said, you were lucky, I had my own dude released within hours of completing that tutorial. :) I don't think you get much from actually converting someone aside from the SPLithium drip during the process, so you did't lose much.

That actually totally makes sense, thanks!

you unlock the next tier of fighters once you get to floor 11 but you have to actually have an open slot in your freezer to access them. It sounds like that's not the case. Either get rid of one of the fighters in your freezer or go the the raid menus and try to upgrade your freezer capacity to hold more fighters

Got it! Thanks.

I just realized that:

I don't think you get much from actually converting someone aside from the SPLithium drip during the process, so you did't lose much.
Probably needs a:
* besides getting them as a character, obviously, which might be interesting if they are high level or even a rank/class you haven't unlocked yet. Not bound to be the case with the tutorial guy which I believe is a rank 1 level 1 all-rounder.

I'll go edit it.

So on floor 2/3 I am now finding Scorpions (which used to be at much higher floors for me) as well as completely new materials like Aluminum Cans; is this a result of the Tower shifting again, or since I unlocked Tier 2/2* fighters last night does the new "bracket" (for lack of a better term) also bump up what can be found? If that question even makes sense lol.

Finding scorpions that low is rare, and I've not found different beast locations upon unlocking tier 2 chars, but I've realized there are some floors that seem to be thematic (there is one with a room with tons of iron), and one of them had a shit ton of critters: rats, scorpions and snails. Perhaps with the current rotation a lower floor got that theme?

Speaking of which, I'm sure this is common knowledge but it bears repeating: if you find poison clouds around floor 10, look for the thing in the center, it's a snail you can run up to, step on (press X a couple of times), and pick up, without getting poisoned. It heals for more than rats or scorpions, even more cooked obviously, and if you kill it by keeping pressing X, it turns into a mushroom that heals status effects and makes you immune to them for a while.

That actually totally makes sense, thanks!

Glad to help! :)

Finding scorpions that low is rare, and I've not found different beast locations upon unlocking tier 2 chars, but I've realized there are some floors that seem to be thematic (there is one with a room with tons of iron), and one of them had a shit ton of critters: rats, scorpions and snails. Perhaps with the current rotation a lower floor got that theme?

Speaking of which, I'm sure this is common knowledge but it bears repeating: if you find poison clouds around floor 10, look for the thing in the center, it's a snail you can run up to, step on (press X a couple of times), and pick up, without getting poisoned. It heals for more than rats or scorpions, even more cooked obviously, and if you kill it by keeping pressing X, it turns into a mushroom that heals status effects and makes you immune to them for a while.

Glad to help! :)

I have a perma decal that gives me health from being poisoned. So those snails are basically fountains of health for me and doomshrooms heal me for max health. So good.

D i Z

Has anyone actually been successful in converting a fighter? The timer is for damn near two days... I can't even see the point of the whole ordeal unless it's to set up an enticing trap for people to throw themselves at your outrageously stacked defenses.

Frimaire

Hey, I remember finding an area that was just a series of linear hallways filled with nothing but the mk.1 tubers.
Anybody else find this and remember the name? Seems like a good place to farm Scratch metal/ weapon affinity...

Just had a death metal continue spawn me outside of the map. Couldn't find a way through the collision to the map proper, so jumped off into the void. A short wait later and the game teleported me to the waiting room, alive, gear, coin, and exp intact.

A pretty graceful way to handle it!

Edit: And just feel through a hole in my waiting room. Maybe time to reboot when I get sent back...

Phil Fish

Banned
Welp it's official, my eye sight is degrading. I've been maining bats on my DPS guy, and I had no idea my pants, shirt and helmet were reducing blunt damage and strength. Never saw the plus or minus on stats until I got up closer to my TV =|

Gonna try to defeat that floor 10 boss again.

Welp it's official, my eye sight is degrading. I've been maining bats on my DPS guy, and I had no idea my pants, shirt and helmet were reducing blunt damage and strength. Never saw the plus or minus on stats until I got up closer to my TV =|

Gonna try to defeat that floor 10 boss again.
The stats on your pants and shirt are modifiers to your armor against incoming damage of those types. So you're more vulnerable to incoming blunt, not dealing less.

Hat though, yeah, those are modifiers to your own stats. You can see how much they change in the parentheses on the character sheet.

I have these premium decals worth noting.

20% extra damage on any enemy 70% or below health.
No fall damage
7% life back of damage dealt
50 and 100% suplex damage
The sneaky one
Survive one hit that brings you below 1% health by 1hp.
50% extra stamina

Phil Fish

Banned
The stats on your pants and shirt are modifiers to your armor against incoming damage of those types. So you're more vulnerable to incoming blunt, not dealing less.

Hat though, yeah, those are modifiers to your own stats. You can see how much they change in the parentheses on the character sheet.

Ahhh, it accounts for damage taken by damage types, okay. Good to know, thanks.

ianpm31

Has anybody actually put real money into this game? Reason I ask because I feel like they did a good job with the f2p model but it feels like they won't make much from it because you can easily get away not putting in a dime. Hope the game can be successful financially

Top Bottom