• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let It Die |OT| F2P roguelike Dark Souls with a skateboarding skeleton

RexNovis

Banned
This game came out of absolutely nowhere to be one of my favorites of the year. What a blast this is! Man I missed crazy games like this so much.

Just got one-shot from around a corner.
CztPK1QWEAAbSEt
Can't think of a more fitting time for this trophy to pop.

I popped my PS4 into Rest Mode and it was finished in about ten minutes. Might be worth a try for those of you stuck with a slow download.

I reinstalled the game, now instead of getting an update externally from the game I get

"Preparing...
Please wait then try again"

freaking taking forever, just hit 51% after like an hour and a half.

in game after the news section

yume_2501

I'm addicted to this game... and oh god i love the bloodborne combat style. Loving the multiplayer side of the game too, i don t want to put the controller down or playing other games because i want to make my defenders stronger... and there are the Xmas event in destiny, overwatch, new modes in U4 & new map in BF1... and all i want is playing this game :O

Phil Fish

Banned
I'm addicted to this game... and oh god i love the bloodborne combat style. Loving the multiplayer side of the game too, i don t want to put the controller down or playing other games because i want to make my defenders stronger... and there are the Xmas event in destiny, overwatch, new modes in U4 & new map in BF1... and all i want is playing this game :O

Right? I haven't felt this attached to a game since WoW when I was much younger. This game is just fucking great.

yume_2501

Right? I haven't felt this attached to a game since WoW when I was much younger. This game is just fucking great.

Absolutely! And i forgot to write that i have The Last Guardian to play as well (and i really love it so far)... this game is something else really

I'm assuming the patch just contains art assets for future content at that size. It did seem a bit excessive, took me awhile too. Thankfully i had that free Lost Odyssey and started that, going to be sure to finish it this time.

I really am into Let It Die though, i hope i don't burn out it too fast. Right now, its probably the most fun I've had with a game all year. I wasn't expecting anything but a passing fancy.

Demoskinos

Has anyone received a 30 day pass yet? If so how did you get it?

You have to buy the 30 day passes with Death Metal. They said they are not finished updating their storefront stuff yet so as of right now the only way to access premium features is unfortunately getting lucky enough to get a taster pass.

Believe me. I've been really wanting to nab a 30 day pass myself.

Ryuuga

Banned
Installed the patch but I'm still receiving that error although it seemed to fix several other errors people were receiving from the official gungho forums. I'm reinstalling it completely to see if anything changes. I also rebuilt my database but to no avail. Like I said over there I feel like I'm in an abusive relationship with this game.

Any chance they're going to increase mastery levels?

Or maybe even being able to "prestige" mastery levels for other permanent bonuses

EDIT: Oh, and any indication of this coming to PC?

Since there is no feedback along the way, no one knows for sure, but it is generally assumed that haters attacking and / or killing and enemies breaks those quests. Since you need to kill everything, and a hater just killed something instead, you're screwed.

Someone on their Twitter said they'd pass this up the chain, but I don't think there has been an official response yet. Which is terrible, since it makes these quests a near impossible crapshoot.

How do you tell if something is War ensemble/dod/etc. equipment?

There is a manufacturer logo in the background of the info panel when you highlight it in your inventory. The stuff is thematic too. D.O.D. (D.I.Y. or Die) is all tools and improvised weapons, War Ensemble is military, Candle Wolf is fantasy, MILK is sports.

So now that the game has had some time to simmer, does it feel like the F2P hooks are strong or does it play fair?
I almost think the f2p stuff is too weak, I get worried they won't make enough money off the game.

It's one of the best f2p implementations out there, next to Warframe. I've wanted to buy stuff not because I absolutely need it, but because I want to support them.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I almost think the f2p stuff is too weak, I get worried they won't make enough money off the game.

It's one of the best f2p implementations out there, next to Warframe. I've wanted to buy stuff not because I absolutely need it, but because I want to support them.

Comparing it to Warfram is nice, thanks - love that model, too.

I will definitely give this game a shot this weekend. Is it the sort of game that starting later will put me in a super shitty spot because of high level hater invades?

Comparing it to Warfram is nice, thanks - love that model, too.

I will definitely give this game a shot this weekend. Is it the sort of game that starting later will put me in a super shitty spot because of high level hater invades?
Nah, you're limited to being invaded by people who have the same grade of fighters as you do, so it doesn't get too obscene. Gear upgrades matter, so there is some variability until you level your own stuff, but even that has a limit. You eventually need upgrade materials that would require you to go to floors that would unlock higher grade fighters, moving your bracket.

Pbae

So now that the game has had some time to simmer, does it feel like the F2P hooks are strong or does it play fair?

I feel the game is fair for a f2p, though granted, it is rather early. I've been playing since launch and haven't spend a cent and don't feel the necessity to.

As other members have said, there's an old school arcade vibe a'la Gauntlet, Smash TV, Final Fight so using death metals feels like dropping in quarters for a continue and trying to get further.

I think it's a fair and smart mechanic for the game so I'm optimistic but it still needs some balancing.

One of the things that might irritate new players is the games terrible filtering of overpowered and overleveled characters compared to yours atm.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
One other string of questions I have:

Dying causes you to lose everything on your current character, right? But you can store things in a vault or whatever for your other characters if you go back to the main hub/lobby area? So what is the value of having multiple characters leveled up (or is there one)?

Varth

Since there is no feedback along the way, no one knows for sure, but it is generally assumed that haters attacking and / or killing and enemies breaks those quests. Since you need to kill everything, and a hater just killed something instead, you're screwed.

Someone on their Twitter said they'd pass this up the chain, but I don't think there has been an official response yet. Which is terrible, since it makes these quests a near impossible crapshoot.

There is a manufacturer logo in the background of the info panel when you highlight it in your inventory. The stuff is thematic too. D.O.D. (D.I.Y. or Die) is all tools and improvised weapons, War Ensemble is military, Candle Wolf is fantasy, MILK is sports.

Thank you, I suspected that. Gonna pass on those for now.

Dying causes you to lose everything on your current character, right? But you can store things in a vault or whatever for your other characters if you go back to the main hub/lobby area? So what is the value of having multiple characters leveled up (or is there one)?

You do lose everything on that fighter when they die, but you can pay kill coins to get them back right away with all their stuff on them. So having extra capable fighters is useful to farm for coins when your main fighter is dead. On higher levels, paying to get dead fighters back isn't really viable... so it's useful to have another fighter to make the climb and retrieve them for free (but without any of their stuff).

You can send your extra fighters on expeditions as haters to other people's worlds to automatically farm for items/kill coins/SPLithium.

There's also a multiplayer component that you'll unlock as you climb the tower. Once you unlock that you'll see how having multiple high level fighters is useful.

delSai

Yea, you can store items in the Waiting Room.
You should have multiple characters for when someone else dies and you cant get him back (lack of Kill Coins or whatever other reason) and because you can set em up as Defenders that other Players have to fight when they raid your Base. There's also different classes, from a Collector who has more space in his Bag to guys who can take alot of hits and so on. Your inactive Fighters can also be send on Expeditions/invade other players and get Items.

You can get your Fighter with all his Equipment back if you spend one Death Metal (Premium Currency) and revive him right where he died, by spending Kill Coins in the Waiting Room, which brings the fighter back to the Freezer, or by fighting the Fighters Hater Version in the Tower, but i think this last method breaks his items. Not sure, havent done that yet.

Edit: Always a moment too late lol

silva1991

Ok I found Keiran-jma after a long seach even tho it's not really far

but

there are no screamers there!!

The quest is telling me to kill 20 screamers and everytime I go there I see a player's character and I killed him three times now

It's also one small and straightforward level it takes like10 seconds to go through it and I can't imagine they would ever put many screamers there to defeat.

but

The quest is telling me to kill 20 screamers and everytime I go there I see a player's character and I killed him three times now

It's also one small and straightforward level it takes like10 seconds to go through it and I can't imagine they would ever put many screamers there to defeat.

I've seen one tower configuration that had one hater and one screamer there. I guess you could farm that one. Of course, before I could get there, the hater killed the screamer about half the time.

Yea, you can store items in the Waiting Room.
You should have multiple characters for when someone else dies and you cant get him back (lack of Kill Coins or whatever other reason) and because you can set em up as Defenders that other Players have to fight when they raid your Base. There's also different classes, from a Collector who has more space in his Bag to guys who can take alot of hits and so on. Your inactive Fighters can also be send on Expeditions/invade other players and get Items.

You can get your Fighter with all his Equipment back if you spend one Death Metal (Premium Currency) and revive him right where he died, by spending Kill Coins in the Waiting Room, which brings the fighter back to the Freezer, or by fighting the Fighters Hater Version in the Tower, but i think this last method breaks his items. Not sure, havent done that yet.

Edit: Always a moment too late lol

I can confirm this method brings the fighter back to the freezer completely naked and without any of their inventory.

Including premium stickers?

Anyone know where I can get my mitts on some D.O.D green metal? that shit is driving me insane.

Can't comment on that. The fighter I recovered only had a regular decal on. It was gone when they were recovered, though.

but

Might just be a bad tower configuration for it. I remember getting that one in one try.

Including premium stickers?

Anyone know where I can get my mitts on some D.O.D green metal? that shit is driving me insane.
Yes, premium decals stay even if you die.

As for DOD green, you have to get it from trap room chests since there isn't a Coen in the teen levels. I can't confirm this myself at the moment (currently farming Bullet Metal), but according to someone at this thread https://m.reddit.com/r/LetItDie/comments/5h3gdg/uncle_pervs_super_useful_materials_list/ , there's a trap room on Nokejiri that has a chance to have it.
Good luck!

BigEmil

Yeah definitely, they made it too much that you can do without having to buy hardly any microtransactions they're being too generous imo, Warframe and other F2P games are doing well financially maybe because they force you much more to buy with real money

delSai

"Uncle Death is pretty much a constant troll" lol

Yeah definitely, they made it too much that you can do without having to buy hardly any microtransactions they're being too generous imo, Warframe and other F2P games are doing well financially maybe because they force you much more to buy with real money

Yea its weird that it isnt more "In your face" with the F2P stuff. But i personally want to spend money on the game just because its so awesome, not because i'd have no fun or something like that otherwise.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Yes, premium decals stay even if you die.

As for DOD green, you have to get it from trap room chests since there isn't a Coen in the teen levels. I can't confirm this myself at the moment (currently farming Bullet Metal), but according to someone at this thread https://m.reddit.com/r/LetItDie/comments/5h3gdg/uncle_pervs_super_useful_materials_list/ , there's a trap room on Nokejiri that has a chance to have it.
Good luck!
I've gotten it twice from (I think) that chest. If not that one, it was nearby. The lower tier tower levels at least.

I think once you exhaust your free Death Metal and character retrieval starts to cost upwards of 20k, that's when the desire to spend increases considerably. Obviously by that point you're probably hooked.

Uthred

It's not too bad, some stuff feels like its there to push you towards buying the express pass e.g. the very limited inventory size and the ridiculous price of the elevator and raiding. It certainly all pushes you to feel that you "need" the express pass. The Death metals are good in that they emulate an arcade feel which is good for the games theme but bad for my wallet, the bullshit price difference in euros is grating on that score. I've probably used Death metals more often than I should more due to frustration than feeling the game forced me to (though you absolutely *need* to expand your storage, but you can use the ones you get in game for that).

I think once you exhaust your free Death Metal and character retrieval starts to cost upwards of 20k, that's when the desire to spend increases considerably. Obviously by that point you're probably hooked.

This is certainly true, I bought some death metals earlier because it would have cost me 83,000 to salvage my fighter from the floor they were on and they had stuff in their inventory I wanted. The further you get in the game the more it incentivises you to spend I think, because they money you earn doesnt scale anywhere close to the cost of salvaging (I think salvaging from floor 25 is ~30K more expensive than from floor 23, yet chests and enemies gave more or less the same amount of KC).

Top Bottom