• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let It Die |OT| F2P roguelike Dark Souls with a skateboarding skeleton

Nephix

Okay so uh why can't you quit to the menu directly when you get to the "hub" area the first time? Even if I go up the escalator and back down it wouldn't let me.
And there's no way I'd be able to finish the first area in five minutes ( before maintenance ) so I had to shut the game down completely.

Will I lose my login bonus now as well as anything I collected on that character?
Will I have to redo the tutorial area again? Does anything actually save?

Leon Raycloud

Neo Member
Does anyone know how to do taunts ? Did it once can't remember how.

Okay so uh why can't you quit to the menu directly when you get to the "hub" area the first time? Even if I go up the escalator and back down it wouldn't let me.
And there's no way I'd be able to finish the first area in five minutes ( before maintenance ) so I had to shut the game down completely.

Will I lose my login bonus now as well as anything I collected on that character?
Will I have to redo the tutorial area again? Does anything actually save?

Is your game still installing ? I remember this happening to me when i started playing before letting the game finished installing.

nOoblet16

Game seems 60FPS on pro..haven't played much so donno how stable but is...how does it run on base PS4?

Also the reflections update at 30, looked jarring in the opening area because there was so much of it.

Conezays

4 Death Metals via remote play from Uncle Prime. Love you Unc.

Really hope I have the chance to play a bunch of this tonight.

edit:

As a capital F Free game this is a badass product that is worth at least a try from anyone and it will give me dozens of hours of play without having to spend a dime. As a full-priced release I wouldn't have even looked twice at it for months. There's a lot of stuff to spend money on out there right now.

Blueprints are very important and can be considered "account progression" because you unlock them forever, and can then have more or less easy access to that item whenever you want it.

Here are some other newbie tips if interested: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=226343561&postcount=2079

Cheers, thanks! Died to the first boss but I'll try again later, lol.

Kyari

Game seems 60FPS on pro..haven't played much so donno how stable but is...how does it run on base PS4?

Also the reflections update at 30, looked jarring in the opening area because there was so much of it.

There's a lot of texture and model pop in, often resulting in dropped frames and slowdown, as well as sizable load times.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
This game's controls is like Dark Souls lore.

Incredibly obtuse and you need to go on the internet to learn about it?

Cause that's how I feel :)

Combat is a little frustrating and lock on is just... challenging, but I'm still impressed for what's obsentsinly a free to play game with only currency as micro transactions.

Suda is still a mad genius with an underfunded team haha

Already getting tired of the grind for colored faction metal, and it seems like every 3 star weapon needs it now. Which means boss grinding/gold chests/quests. Hooray...

Yep, that's half of the premium bonus.

Damn, I thought premium just meant they were reusable, but you still lost them if a character got captured. I guess I can actually put some of these on my people now.

OK, how does the autorevive mushroom (lifeshroom?) work? I thought it worked just like bottled fairies in Zelda and kicked in when you died, but I died with them in my inventory (and even in the selected item spot) and no dice. Do you have to actually eat them before dying or something?

Also if anyone wants to know how to get them, you obtain them from killing pillbugs. There are at least two pillbugs on floor 11 alongside other creatures. The easiest way to kill pillbugs is:
1) Equip a Magnum
2) Run up to a pillbug
3) Stomp on it (X)
4) If it curled into a ball, wait for it to uncurl, then go back to 3)
5) If it got stunned instead, shoot it with the magnum. A single shot should do it.

You can also use other weapons by locking onto it like an enemy. However, fireworks will cook it (like they cook other creatures) rather than kill it.

Toss like drop. I would open up my inventory and trash things that had no ammo or were about to break.

It would be be awesome if you could throw weapons at enemies and stun them or something

Still, that's a pretty nice shortcut, thanks! The game is chock full of little thinks like this.

The game in this state is practically a beta

Jon-Hamm-Sure-Thing.gif

What i do is keep some money in the rewards box, but if i reach this point i grind raids until i get both the rescue fee and a bank/etc upgrade so it doesnt feel like wasted time.

Another option is simply to create and level up another character. I have 6-7 freezer slots so I simply pick a low rank character, axe them (or chainsaw them as the case may be) and replace them with a high tier character, then start from floor 1. By the time they are a decent level you usually have enough to revive the other character.

By the way, you guys are keeping in mind that the Luck stat determines gold drops, right? Might be a good idea to keep a Lucky Star character with max luck for "get rich quick" schemes. :)

OK, how does the autorevive mushroom (lifeshroom?) work? I thought it worked just like bottled fairies in Zelda and kicked in when you died, but I died with them in my inventory (and even in the selected item spot) and no dice. Do you have to actually eat them before dying or something?

Yes, you have to eat it, and you'll see an icon pop up like the other mushrooms do that show you have auto-revive on. This disappears when you quit the game or switch characters though.

Yes, you have to eat it, and you'll see an icon pop up like the other mushrooms do that show you have auto-revive on. This disappears when you quit the game or switch characters though.

I see, thanks a lot. Yeah, it would be far too overpowered otherwise; still pretty amazing all around, especially cooked. From your description, you could eat one and raid multiple times without the buff going away, right (as long as you don't die, obviously)?

Varth

Cant seem to properly win the "climb from x to y doing this or that and killing everyone" quests. Is there some trick to those? Also: "throwing" refers to mushrooms and stuff, not ranged weapons right?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
As per request:

Once you reach the 11th floor you'll have access to pillbugs and practically a permanent 50% buff to your HP.

Killing a pillbug grants a lifeshroom. Cooking a lifeshroom makes the HP recovery on death 50%. So taking fatal damage isn't fatal -- it's an immediate 50% heal.

Also, if you consume a lifeshroom, the effect works across all characters. If you switch, the effect is still active, until you take fatal damage. And consuming the shroom is an active effect, so it doesn't take up an inventory spot.

Example:

9x3czZF.gif

Easiest way to kill a pillbug (that doesn't cost resources) is to walk up beside one, stomp it to stun, and then use the knife special attack to stab it with X.

This should give you a pretty good cushion now while adventuring, and free up some of your normally precautionary inventory space.

edit: I think they'll nerf this. Too powerful.

Though most don't agree it's OP. I've come around on that myself.

As per request:

I don't think they'll nerf it because there's no delay. Combos from people at a higher level than you will still tear through your second life.

I wonder how this stacks with the decal that saves you at 1HP though. That decal is pretty useless against most enemies because you'll survive, but be in a dizzied state to be finished off with a Goretastic attack.

If that keeps you at 1HP, then triggers this buff on the next hit, that could be a useful combination. But it still has the issue of being vulnerable to combos

Burnburn

I'm kinda losing a lot of steam with this having to go back and re level a new character to face new harder content. It's pretty asinine and really feels like they just did it for no good reason.

Save your golden animals! Don't use them for heals, use them for new characters. I just got rank 4 characters and used a golden snail on it. That was 4000 exp, which got the character around 25 levels. I still have a golden frog, but I dont know if I want to use 2 golden animals on 1 person or if I want to use it to immediatelly level up another person. This is the first time I did this and I had to stop because of maintenance, do I can't say how well it works in the end. But I think it saved me grinding.

I hope this character is strong enough already now to grind boss items and just grind items on the 10's floors in general, leveling up in the process as well

Hellshy.

does anyone know of a good place to try and farm skillshrooms below level 16? I have only come across 2 so far both were on same floor but i cant remember which one it was

Evolved1

It's still a 50% HP boost. Which is better than stacking two HP decals.

Think of the cost of a premium decal and a normal decal... or just stepping on a pillbug.

It's funny really.

Major buff, basically for free.

Evolved1

Save your golden animals! Don't use them for heals, use them for new characters. I just got rank 4 characters and used a golden snail on it. That was 4000 exp, which got the character around 25 levels. I still have a golden frog, but I dont know if I want to use 2 golden animals on 1 person or if I want to use it to immediatelly level up another person. This is the first time I did this and I had to stop because of maintenance, do I can't say how well it works in the end. But I think it saved me grinding.

I hope this character is strong enough already now to grind boss items and just grind items on the 10's floors in general, leveling up in the process as well

Omg I've sold like 5 or 6 golden critters.

Son of a b....

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Let it die, let it die, let it, let it die.

darklin0

Banned

Holy shit! Being a hoarder pays off again!
Update 1.01 is OUT! 6.5gb.
Please let there be something that helps the TDM load times.

jengo

Incredibly obtuse and you need to go on the internet to learn about it?

Cause that's how I feel :)

Combat is a little frustrating and lock on is just... challenging, but I'm still impressed for what's obsentsinly a free to play game with only currency as micro transactions.

Suda is still a mad genius with an underfunded team haha

Not a Suda game...

Wait, what? I was 100% sure this was directed by Suda. Who's the director then?

Edit: Apparently it's Hideyuki Shin, director of Killer is Dead, another game I thought was Suda's. Shows what I know! :/

Uthred

Another option is simply to create and level up another character. I have 6-7 freezer slots so I simply pick a low rank character, axe them (or chainsaw them as the case may be) and replace them with a high tier character, then start from floor 1. By the time they are a decent level you usually have enough to revive the other character.

By the way, you guys are keeping in mind that the Luck stat determines gold drops, right? Might be a good idea to keep a Lucky Star character with max luck for "get rich quick" schemes. :)

A high tier character costs 25K to make, salvaging in the mid 20's costs 50-80K, if you have that money to throw around then you arent "in the hole" ;) I have made a G4 Lucky Star, hoping they help with the money grind

AESplusF

Suda may not have directed it but it's fair to say he played a big role, he was still executive director.

Hideyuki Shin, the same guy that directed Killer is Dead.
Suda was executive director on KID as well, he was responsible for the story too. I wouldn't undermine Suda's role in making LID.

As per request:

Though most don't agree it's OP. I've come around on that myself.

The funny thing is that if the enemy does over 50% damage of your life in one shot, the lifeshroom gets btfo. A jackal hit goes through your whole damn life bar and the buff hilarious enough. In floors 30+ this basically is a second chance buff and it's pretty neat to keep around, getting hit by a hater usually means a combo, it at least lets you survive one more combo off a saber cleaver.

The OP shrooms are the slow shroom, transparagus, and the guard shroom. Basically allowing you to get in free hits. Dragonshrooms are also pretty fun, they give you a buff that lets you have infinite ammo.

D i Z

I'm downloading the 6gb patch too, but I'm wondering what this means...

Czrq8WUUAAASkX4.jpg:large

Anyway, here are patch notes. Um...that's it? Glad the royal elevator got fixed, but no express passes...

A lot of games require that you have more space available than the size of the actual patch. More often than not I've needed to clean out around 50/60 free gigs for some updates and patches for games these last two years.

Caim

I'm downloading the 6gb patch too, but I'm wondering what this means...

Czrq8WUUAAASkX4.jpg:large

Anyway, here are patch notes. Um...that's it? Glad the royal elevator got fixed, but no express passes...

My patch says 24.9 gigs, but maybe they added stuff and it just has be added in the future?

I hope future patches aren't this big.

EDIT: Forgot about the double the space requirement.

A lot of games require that you have more space available than the size of the actual patch. More often than not I've needed to clean out around 50/60 free gigs for some updates and patches for games these last two years.

Yeah, but at most the requirement should be double the space, not 4x. Unless different regions got different patches.

My patch says 24.9 gigs, but maybe they added stuff and it just has be added in the future?

I hope future patches are this big.

I hope so, I am only familiar with Gung Ho's work on Puzzles and Dragons but that game had tons of events and special dungeons. There is a event quest tab when you talk to Phone girl, so I would think that they would do things like special tower runs or maybe something themed, like DOD gear only.

renzolama

There seems to be a disconnect between the patch notes they released (which say they're for version 1.1.0.0) and the latest patch (which says it's version 1.01). I refuse to believe that the three small bug fixes/additions they mention in those patch notes equate to a 6GB patch, so what the heck is in here?

Top Bottom