• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let It Die |OT| F2P roguelike Dark Souls with a skateboarding skeleton

Burnburn

Going to edit the snail post to reflect that the tower has changed.

You know what the worst part about being raided is? No radio in the waiting room

Burnburn

So I've got my level 2 character capable of going up to level 50 but why is my coin collection still capped at 40k?

You need to go into the TDM menu, go to defense settings and then to waiting room. The option to get a bigger safe should be there and you buy it with SPLithium

audio_delay

Neo Member
I had 80k yesterday to wake up with only 20k left. That fucking sucks.

Edit: yeah I'm done with this game. Even after "revenge" I didn't get even 10% of the money I lost, because of this flawed raid system.

Players should only be raided when they are online, because at least they get their money back constantly while exploring and shit.

80k are gone just like that because over 20 person decided to arid me while I'm away is BS.

I will come back after they patch this.

For now I'll just watch Peeve play it for me.

I have been raided by always the same people :/ and they have much higher rank than me. Plus during the region fights i get pitched against people with higher ranks, me 30-40 against ranks 50-70. It is kind of stupid how the TDM works

Burnburn

I hate the fact that a backthrow after a frongus is so inconsistent. I can stand behind the enemy and spam x and nothing happens. This was always my no1 resource to take out haters, but after the patch it just doesn't consistently work for me anymore.

I'm on team California, um, 500-3500 is the typical amount of money people hold in the bank right? Or did I make a bad choice?

If that's what you're seeing in the player list, remember that is the amount you will steal, which is a 10% of what they have. So really those players have 5000-35000, which definitely seems normal. I personally never leave more than 10k in the bank if I can help it, I buy and store equipment if I have to, or go for a premium decal.

I'm having a hard time playing other games, for my end of the year wrap up. I've put in enough time to be satisfied with Let It Die, but being addicted is a whole other matter.

I hear ya, and the issue is that it's eating into real time stuff I should be doing, as well. :/ Actively wishing for the hunger to subside a bit, I haven't been this hooked in a game for a long time.

Edit: yeah I'm done with this game. Even after "revenge" I didn't get even 10% of the money I lost, because of this flawed raid system.
Players should only be raided when they are online, because at least they get their money back constantly while exploring and shit.
80k are gone just like that because over 20 person decided to arid me while I'm away is BS.

I'm fairly sure its like this by design, i'm not sure if i'd expect it to change. Just don't log off with more than 10K in the banks. Buy gear/items/decals/mushroom stew if you have extra when you're done playing for the day, and plan to earn and spend SP during that play session and around war rewards/raiding.

I'm still hoping that defence AI is improved and TDM expanded a bit.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Is there a list of shrooms and what they do/where to find them? Hearing that there's a mushroom for infinite ammo made me realize I have no clue what options exist out there.

Also, I agree about the TDM needing revision. I don't love the idea of losing everything I worked for the day before overnight because I get ganged up on and my AI is garbage.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I'm fairly sure its like this by design, i'm not sure if i'd expect it to change. Just don't log off with more than 10K in the banks. Buy gear/items/decals/mushroom stew if you have extra when you're done playing for the day, and plan to earn and spend SP during that play session and around war rewards/raiding.

I'm still hoping that defence AI is improved and TDM expanded a bit.
Defense AI is the biggest issue. I can plow through them very easily and assume people do the same to mine despite my equipment.

That's probably exactly what they did. This game requires a fair amount of investment and I don't see any game journos actually doing that for a F2P game that feels like it came out of no where.

Hell, the first 10 floors basically act as a tutorial but you'd never know that if you don't commit to that investment.
Yeah, I agree. Clearly didn't spend much with the game. "The game throws many free Death Metals at the player"

Er, yeah. Early on it does.

Alo0oy

Banned
Defense AI is fine, once I got my defense team in order, I've been winning ~80% of all raids.

- Two level 25 all rounders.
- One level 50 striker.
- One level 75 shooter.
- Two level 100, a striker equipped with dual machetes and a shooter with an assault rifle.

All of them have grade 2+ armor too.

Getting a team that good was a long grind though, I pretty much stopped climbing the tower once I unlocked rank 4 fighters. I'm ready to climb now that I can rely on a capable defense team.

Any improvements to the AI would make it broken, of course you'd get invaded a lot if you have a shitty defense team, what actually needs to improve is the grind, maxing a character takes a long ass time, and high level haters at the start of the tower are a big issue. My entire defense would be full of 100 fighters if not for the bullshit level 90 haters with OP gear.

I wouldn't hold my breath about a patch for this. Why would you leave 80k in your bank without a rock solid defence? Spend that on mushroom stew or gear. You were asking to have it stolen.

I can't count the number of posts in this thread saying "Spend your money before you log, to avoid being raided".

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
They better not patch this gold snail shit... I was about to put the game down, because I hate to level / re-level fighters. But the shrooms can really help that. I might stick with it.

I'm worried about Jackals being purposefully punitive though. I'm afraid this is their real f2p strategy. That it's back-loaded, and meant to hit after you're making progress and invested in the game. Before their removal, I had Jackals spawn not even one minute into the level. I got off the elevator and ran left, but immediately realized it was the wrong side. When I turned and started toward the opposite direction, approaching the elevator, I see the Jackal, who fortunately has his back toward me and is headed down the hallway. I crouch and watch for a bit, and then I hear the siren.

Bullshit.

They spawned that fucker immediately when I entered the floor, and delayed the siren.

That is going to get reaaaally old as deaths become more punitive higher up the tower. This no Jackals thing, folks are getting comfortable, and I don't think really seeing the ugly side of the f2p strategy, because it's currently broken.

I wouldn't hold my breath about a patch for this. Why would you leave 80k in your bank without a rock solid defence? Spend that on mushroom stew or gear. You were asking to have it stolen.

I can't count the number of posts in this thread saying "Spend your money before you log, to avoid being raided".
The cynical part of me thinks raiding is purely so people don't accrue gold to revive their characters and spend on Death Metal.

Ricker

Yeah,losing stuff while you arent even in the game is a huge no no for me,that shit should be optional,I love the game but I have no interest in that kind of stuff,I have the Metro thing unlocked and didnt even go see it yet...only thing I get is a message all the time telling me the fighting with New York lets say has ended...only on floor 9 though,still on the 40k limit,and its maxed out most of the time lol...

I got a nice Green Decal from the box the other day,adds a nice buff that I for got for now,I use it on my male guy,who reached level 26 max,compare to the 25 for females or is it because he is a fighther instead of all rounder...?

Ricker

So what is GAFs impression of this game? Is it fun? How good is it compared to Dark Souls 3?

It is nothing like DS3 except maybe the fact that it can be a hard game,and most people here like it a lot and for a F2P,its not crazy on the microtransaction stuff.

Evolved1

So what is GAFs impression of this game? Is it fun? How good is it compared to Dark Souls 3?
That's not a good question... it's the wrong mindset. This is not a Souls game. Similarities are superficial.

Deku Tree

I just read something where the developer compared the game to Souls.

Anyway thanks!

Is Let it Die a long game or is it short. I prefer short game now lol.

The cynical part of me thinks raiding is purely so people don't accrue gold to revive their characters and spend on Death Metal.
Perhaps, but is salvaging your fighter even intended to be the main way to get your fighter back? A lot of people here seem to think it is (especially given many don't even know the other option). I don't think it is. The cash revive seems like a shortcut, and the hunting of your hater (while your hater fights other players in their games) seems like the intended "main" way.

The intro of the game even reinforces this. You're auto killed, forced to make another fighter, and then go hunt your haterfied fighter down. There is no salvage tutorial, at least not as blatant as that.

As soon as I played through that, my first thought was "oh, sorta like reclaiming your bloodstain in a souls game".

delSai

Depends on how you play i would say. I like taking my time, training as many fighters as possible, re-running floors alot... but if you just want to get through it i guess you can do just that.

They're going to add more content, so i guess as time goes on it will be more of a longer game.

MrDaravon

Agreed, but this brings into question why on earth your can increase the banks so much if the smart tactic is to never hold any real amount of currency in them? Presumably later upgrades/R&D will still start costing ridiculous amounts of SPL (IIRC right now my bank upgrades cost ~10k SPL at rank 5, and they go up to rank 50), but if the smart play is to never logoff with much in the bank that means you would have to grind out all the SPL you need in that play session which endgame maybe isn't practical if bank upgrades start costing in the hundreds of thousands?

The answer seems to be having a perfect defense set up so you can bank stuff, but defenses don't seem to be a problem for most/good players to get through? I haven't been raided a bunch but even with 6 dudes at max level for my current bracket (grade 2) with gear and whatnot I never pull off a successful defense. I'm more than willing to believe I'm doing something wrong with my setup or gear etc, but looking around online it seems like in general most folks have no problem pulling off successful raids.

Evolved1

I disagree strongly. Fundamentally it shares a lot with Souls. Superficially it's nothing alike.
I'm saying the mechanical similarities are superficial. They really do not play the same. Souls being a comparison metric is close to useless, because you'd spend more time explaining all the differences than you'd benefit from the similarities in that conversation.

I'm saying the mechanical similarities are superficial. They really do not play the same. Souls being a comparison metric is close to useless, because you'd spend more time explaining all the differences than you'd benefit from the similarities in that conversation.
It plays off the same strategies, same feelings of fear and loss. I'd be almost certain that someone that likes souls would like this. Which is the most important thing, right?

Vaga

It's fun for but like mostly all f2p out there after the initial honeymoon phase you either invest a lot of money to keep it fun or a lot of time. And I mean a lot of time. Or money. The devs really struggle with retarded game mechanics to make you snap and throw cash at them the more you progress.

This is nothing like DS, yeah it borrows some concepts but nothing alike in execution (read - it's pretty bad).

The art style, music is whack but overall game design pheesh.

I just read something where the developer compared the game to Souls.

Anyway thanks!

It's a game that requires time investment to make any significant progression. It's basically a dungeon crawler grindfest (albeit a very fun one) and if you just want something to play in short bursts or something to finish in a short while i wouldn't recommend this.

Ryuuga

Banned

I can say without a hint of uncertainty that I enjoyed it far more than Dark Souls 3 (when I had the ability to play the game). However, I can also say that both games make for a strange comparison and are treading different grounds, both thematically and, through it's gameplay loop, mechanically.

It's fun for but like mostly all f2p out there after the initial honeymoon phase you either invest a lot of money to keep it fun or a lot of time. And I mean a lot of time. Or money. The devs really struggle with retarded game mechanics to make you snap and throw cash at them the more you progress.

This is nothing like DS, yeah it borrows some concepts but nothing alike in execution (read - it's pretty bad).

Invest money? Aside from storage space (which you can expand quite a bit with the free death metal) there is almost no reason right now to spend money on this game. I've only spent money because I wanted to give the developers some support. What are these "retarded game mechanics" specifically?

I get people have different tastes, but if you think this soundtrack sucks, what is a good soundtrack for you? This one is so eclectic and wonderful, I don't think I've enjoyed a soundtrack more in a game. Maybe a GTA, but that's about it.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Do I need to not have any armor in my inventory to complete the armor limit quest? And what counts as a successful climb? Just getting to the B area from A or going through B?

hbkdx12

Perhaps, but is salvaging your fighter even intended to be the main way to get your fighter back? A lot of people here seem to think it is (especially given many don't even know the other option). I don't think it is. The cash revive seems like a shortcut, and the hunting of your hater (while your hater fights other players in their games) seems like the intended "main" way.

The intro of the game even reinforces this. You're auto killed, forced to make another fighter, and then go hunt your haterfied fighter down. There is no salvage tutorial, at least not as blatant as that.

As soon as I played through that, my first thought was "oh, sorta like reclaiming your bloodstain in a souls game".

I thought the same thing too and to be honest, salvaging your fighter and the wait times when crafting/buying equipment are like the two most egregious offenses when it comes to being F2P (not that it completely ruins the game or anything) When i first stumbled across the ability to salvage my fighter my assumption is that it would just give me the stuff that was in the death bag but if i wanted my fighter back i'd still have to go fight them. Color me surprised when they just show up in the freezer fully in tact with all their gear and belongings. Even with knowing how exorbitant the cost the salvage is in the late game, i don't think i'd ever bother with fighting my hater in the tower.

I can't imagine that if this game weren't free to play that salvaging would even be an option to begin with.

Deku Tree

Are you saying this game is p2w?

Of course it's pay-to-win.

Boss fights are 100x easier with a single Death Metal revive. An extra full bar of health and 10secs or so where the AI doesn't notice you while you wail on them.

Vaga

Invest money? Aside from storage space (which you can expand quite a bit with the free death metal) there is almost no reason right now to spend money on this game. I've only spent money because I wanted to give the developers some support. What are these "retarded game mechanics" specifically?

I get people have different tastes, but if you think this soundtrack sucks, what is a good soundtrack for you? This one is so eclectic and wonderful, I don't think I've enjoyed a soundtrack more in a game. Maybe a GTA, but that's about it.

First, being a non english native I might have misused the word whack. I actually meant to praise the art style and music, nothing wrong there.

Second, if you have time to kill for grinding either coins or characters or xp I can see how the game might not seem that retarded in the way it treats you as a player. For me it seems so.

You forget that death metal can be turned into coins or to REVIVE AT THE SPOT. The cost of death & revive is enormous the more you advance to the point it's ridiculous. Mixed with player inability to hold a generous amount of cash reserve for those specific moments you need your character revived because you are forced to spend cash or risk being cleaned by raiders while logged off because your defender AI is too stupid to actually make a difference - you're always left with the retarded grinding. To each they're own what they use their time for but at my age mmo-like grinding is fucking stupid.

Are you saying this game is p2w?

If you value your free time, abso-fucking-lutely.

Fighting your own hater is the best way to get your character back in high level. When you think about it, the cost of getting the character back is only the gear to re-outfit, provided you have another fighter good enough to kill them. The kill coins for you get for 5* YMTK haters are around 5k, so a few of those (they are easy to spawn and farm like in Ikegara, you can respawn them by going up escalator to Imowaka-cho) and you easily gain enough money to rebuy your gear endgame.

I think the most important part of being prepared is the consumables. Like seriously, shrooms are really op in their effects. The consumables in Souls games are extremely tame compared to this game, and even if you don't plan on running into a boss, carry something like transparagus or guardshroom for your "oh-shit" moments. There even are shrooms that trivialize haters like the brainshroom that lets you instant kill them. Believe it or not, just using 1 can be the difference in just clearing a new floor in a minute to get to the next area with an elevator.

Don't get me wrong, there is a lot of time investment to get great gear in this game, and I think that is fine. This game is in it for the long haul and they plan to release more content, so it is not like Dark Souls where you can speed run it. But there are things to overcome whatever wall you are hitting through smart resource management. Floor 23 for example is a pretty much that shining example. Big difference between brute forcing it and using everything that you have available, especially since 20+ is when you start seeing more shrooms with crazy good effects. Like seriously, prep-time Batman would have a field day in how crazy it can get if you prep for your run. Remember to send out fighters on expeditions, even if they are sure to get bopped, they usually bring back consumables.

hbkdx12

Of course it's pay-to-win.

Boss fights are 100x easier with a single Death Metal revive. An extra full bar of health and 10secs or so where the AI doesn't notice you while you wail on them.

No way. I had a grade 2 fighter at max level when i first fought 16F jin die. When the fight first starts shes spawns to where your at and instead of running away and creating some space i hit her and then she hit me with a vomit blast that one shotted me and destroyed all my armor.

If you're in a situation where you can realistically be one/two shotted by a boss or run out of resources to properly deal with them, buying death metals becomes the exact opposite of p2w. You'd literally just be throwing away money at that point if you keep dying as you have no adequate way to deal with the situation.

It a very ugly game compared to dark souls. Artistic direction goes in interesting places. But I dont think a single person will say it is a good looking game

It is a very interesting game mechanically though. Not that Dark Souls is not. But we have had 3 DS games now. 5 if you count Demons and BB. LiD feels fresh and original in many conceptual ways still.

Ive had fun with it. But I don't know if I am going stick with past floor 20.

It is super grindy compared to a souls game. Souls games CAN be grindy. But they can also be speed runned in a few hours if you know what you are doing. Let it Die cannot. The game is BUILT around the grind.

No way. I had a grade 2 fighter at max level when i first fought 16F jin die. When the fight first starts shes spawns to where your at and instead of running away and creating some space i hit her and then she hit me with a vomit blast that one shotted me and destroyed all my armor.

If you're in a situation where you can realistically be one/two shotted by a boss or run out of resources to properly deal with them, buying death metals becomes the exact opposite of p2w. You'd literally just be throwing away money at that point if you keep dying as you have no adequate way to deal with the situation.
Well, sure, you could spend them unwisely. But they still massively increase your chance of success. If you can get a boss to ~50% (maybe more), you're almost certainly going to beat them with a single revive.

No you are temporarily invisible to the boss after using a coin. You must have never used one before. You can wail on a boss with no consequence and do huge damage. It does become 100x easier.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I think a lot of the complaints about P2W would tone down if there were a way to avoid the TDM. As it stands, you're always on edge about how many coins you've got on you. It definitely creates a strange landscape for progression. I'd love to be able to spend a DM for a few days of protection. That would be worth it to me.

Top Bottom