• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let It Die |OT| F2P roguelike Dark Souls with a skateboarding skeleton

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
The system is fucked right now. You're either part of team California or you're one of their victims. I guess it's worth joining for the occasional win? Then again that makes you part of the problem

It looks like some of the other regions/states are getting up there in numbers as well. Canada seems to be doing just fine and it looks like Texas, Florida, New York, GB, France and others are getting good numbers of people joining. It seems to be evening out a bit.

Darknight

The system is fucked right now. You're either part of team California or you're one of their victims. I guess it's worth joining for the occasional win? Then again that makes you part of the problem

I figured big state/teams are going to constantly be under attack and Im not sure thats a good thing lol.

I keep getting haters from people I know. By design right?
Gotta be, I've seen loads of haters from people on my friends list too. I get the feeling it prioritizes people sending an expedition on you, then friends who died on the floor, other players who died on the floor, then if all else fails, Yotsuyama cpu haters.

I'm not complaining about difficulty. I think it's a means of artificially inflating difficulty. If you feel like the gameplay systems are immaculate, that's great, I don't share the same opinion as you.
What's artificial versus "natural" difficulty in this game to you? From my perspective, we're talking about a deliberately designed system, not something being hard due to bad framerate or latency. It's just "difficulty" to me.

I feel the gameplay systems are what they are. I'm playing (and trying to succeed at) the rules presented to me.

Without spoilers . . . is there NG+?

The more I play the less it feels like Dark Souls and the more it feels like Don't Starve or This War of Mine. Go out, scavenge for supplies, come back to crock pot and reap rewards.

I can't imagine an end right now but I guess there must be something up there on floor 50 waiting for me . . .

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
What balancing purpose does it serve when I have to slow down and swap a weapon? Enemies in the game have limitless stamina and are aggressive across crazy distances. I think it'd be better balanced if you could swap a weapon without stopping your sprint. There's no confusion here.
I'm not complaining about difficulty. I think it's a means of artificially inflating difficulty. If you feel like the gameplay systems are immaculate, that's great, I don't share the same opinion as you.
Enemies are completely unable to swap weapons at all. You can adjust in real-time (yes, with a pause) after seeing what they are wielding which no enemy in the game is capable of. They only have one loadout and while they may have limitless stamina (which is not all that advantageous considering their limited AI), their weapons can still break.

It's not intended for weapon switching to be free of consequence, you have to do it tactically. Similarly, you're intentionally limited when sprinting versus not, can't throw items while sprinting or blocking, and so on

The gameplay systems are by no means immaculate, but you've fixated on a pretty fair mechanic. I'd say this is the opposite of artificial difficulty (an example of that would be just doubling enemy HP as a means of making them "harder").

MaKTaiL

So once again I can't download the update because my stupid PS4 tells me I don't have enough space to download it although I still have 35gb left. It's becoming a daily trend...

Enemies are completely unable to swap weapons at all. You can adjust in real-time (yes, with a pause) after seeing what they are wielding which no enemy in the game is capable of. They only have one loadout and while they may have limitless stamina (which is not all that advantageous considering their limited AI), their weapons can still break.

It's not intended for weapon switching to be free of consequence, you have to do it tactically. Similarly, you're intentionally limited when sprinting versus not, can't throw items while sprinting or blocking, and so on

The gameplay systems are by no means immaculate, but you've fixated on a pretty fair mechanic. I'd say this is the opposite of artificial difficulty (an example of that would be just doubling enemy HP as a means of making them "harder").

Pretty much this.

I also find it somewhat obnoxious how he keeps moving the goalposts. First it was "fix this bug". Then when it's explained that it's a balancing mechanic, it was "there's nothing this could possible balance". Then when it's explained to him what it does balance, "it's artificial difficulty" and "if you disagree then you must think the game is immaculate" (ye ole "all or nothing" fallacy). Now that you've detailed why it's not artificial difficulty, and even when his opinion is outnumbered four to one, I'll bet he'll find some new place to position the goal markers on; anything before conceding a point.

Small question: is there a way to turn off the overlay when you're fighting a hater? I don't even know why it's there and it gets in the way.

DigSCCP

Ok GAF you won.
Downloading the game right now, will start it tomorrow.
Any tips for someone who is jumpin on it basically on blind?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Ok GAF you won.
Downloading the game right now, will start it tomorrow.
Any tips for someone who is jumpin on it basically on blind?

Quick and dirty tips! There are more, but these are good early game things to keep in mind.

1. Pick one or two weapons you enjoy and level them to mastery 20.
  2. Always be working on Fists/Unarmed mastery. It takes forever but it's absolutely worth it.
  3. Spend as much money and splitium as you can before you log off to avoid being attacked.
  4. Don't forget to upgrade your blueprints, but don't go crazy doing so because every 10 floors is effectively a new tier of better gear. (E: F21+ is where gear becomes significantly more important)
  5. Don't be afraid to watch a video or read a guide on a boss or mid-boss. Other people have died so you don't have to!
  6. Try to save up 50k coins and buy premium decals. They are awesome and never go away.

Quick and dirty tips! There are more, but these are good early game things to keep in mind.

2. Always be working on Fists/Unarmed mastery. It takes forever but it's absolutely worth it.
  3. Spend as much money and splitium as you can before you log off to avoid being attacked.
  4. Don't forget to upgrade your blueprints, but don't go crazy doing so because every 10 floors is effectively a new tier of better gear. (E: F21+ is where gear becomes significantly more important)
  5. Don't be afraid to watch a video or read a guide on a boss or mid-boss. Other people have died so you don't have to!
  6. Try to save up 50k coins and buy premium decals. They are awesome and never go away.

Dont spend metals on anything but bank space. Those rezzes and speeding up research isnt worth it!

Aaaaand still doesn't work.

servers are up? I thought maintenance get extended

DigSCCP

Tnx a lot!

Mr. Patch

As a person who hasn't played much, I need this question answered.

What the fuck am I supposed to do when I turn a corner with my level 8 self and have a level 30 Hater in my face?

What the fuck am I supposed to do when I turn a corner with my level 8 self and have a level 30 Hater in my face?

From the twitch streams I have been watching run.

Or technically you can kill them but you have to be perfect the whole fight.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member

Kill them. After a bit, you'll get pretty good at it. The game does tend to present opportunities for you to sneak up on them and give them massive damage.

D i Z

Kill it.

Edit: Jesus, this game is over 40 gigs already before the patch. Need to make some room in the capture gallery... again.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

You can almost always hear when enemies are nearby. The more you play, the more you start to realize where enemies could be camped out.

In your case, the best thing to do is take corners REALLY wide. If you do that, you'll have a hair longer to react with a quick roll, sprint or parry. From there, you should be able to do work.

When it comes to taking on ANY enemy 1v1, learning when you can attack is key to a quick and painless fight. You can often get a counter hit in if you back up right when they swing (get out of their reach) followed by an R1/R2 hit. I was killing Level 50 haters on a fresh Level 1 right after unlocking 2* characters. Timing! Also, mastery. Hammer mastery is aces. Even with a shit weapon, Mastery 20 will almost always be worth the effort.

Oh - note for beginners! 3-hit combos aren't always the best choice. Sometimes a 1-2 smack and roll/dodge/run will be the better and safer option (especially against those high level haters).

What do you spend Splitium on?

Xux

This games pretty addictive.

I know the lore and such are pretty light but I can't help be intrigued by this floor 11+ environment. Do people live up here? Why is the electricity still on?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Wait, so jackals are back in? And have been killed? What do they drop

edit: and there's a quest, lol

edit: ^Xux, I know it is probably an incredibly minor thing for most and maybe no one else cares but I was really glad I hadn't had anything at all about floor 11 spoiled to me beforehand if you wouldn't mind using a tag. :]

This games pretty addictive.

I know the lore and such are pretty light but I can't help be intrigued by this floor 11+ environment. Do people live up here? Why is the electricity still on?
Even screamers and haters need somewhere to charge their phones.

Wait, so jackals are back in? And have been killed? What do they drop

edit: and there's a quest, lol

edit: ^Xux, I know it is probably an incredibly minor thing for most and maybe no one else cares but I was really glad I hadn't had anything at all about floor 11 spoiled to me beforehand if you wouldn't mind using a tag. :]
Jacket dropped for that guy

http://imgur.com/a/INYKU

I shouldve known better, but I lost a charcter due to playing while the team was doing maintance. This bites........Im still going to enjoy getting them back, even if I do it grudgely though

Ok about to tackle Floor 10 boss. Can't wait to see what's next.

Without major spoilers: what should I expect for this fight? What should I bring that I might not think of?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Ok about to tackle Floor 10 boss. Can't wait to see what's next.

Without major spoilers: what should I expect for this fight? What should I bring that I might not think of?
EXPECT NOTHING

BRING EVERYTHING

nah in all honestly I found it, while awesome, a pretty straightforward encounter.

edit:

This twitter is actually fairly fantastic

SrvzcSi.png

can identify.

edit again:

Every hater is going to look like a Jackal at the upper level huh?
Maybe that's where Jackals come from..... O__O

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Man I was wondering why I never encountered any jackals. Now it makes sense, glad they got it fixed (maybe).
You still won't really encounter them if you don't want to, or
leave your console with you in the tower by accident. They show up (after you unlock their intro) just by hanging around on a floor for too long.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Actually, the implications of people wrecking jackals is pretty grim. Running into haters in jackal gear is basically going to be GG, right?

D i Z

Seeing a couple of bugs since the patch. Enemies not dropping coin, weapons that stay on enemy models after pickup...

Actually, the implications of people wrecking jackals is pretty grim. Running into haters in jackal gear is basically going to be GG, right?

Stamina boost decals about to go to the top of the must have list.

Top Bottom