• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let It Die |OT| F2P roguelike Dark Souls with a skateboarding skeleton

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
ALL 3 JACKALS HAVE SPAWNED in Koshi-Tagawa and these fuckers aren't going away. I hid after hearing the alarm and they just spawned in one after the other. I'm hiding behind a wall and they're staying in the corridor leading to the only exit. What do I do? I took video and screenshots. I'm uncertain of if I should try and take them. I know it's kinda impossible with my tier 3, level 76 collector but I may go for it. I just don't want to lose all my spoils and have to retrieve my character.
You have absolutely no chance at all.

If you have a decoyshroom and can use that to get to the elevator, that's your move.
Hi, I wanna try the game over the upcoming holidays. Any tips for a fresh player, what to get early on and or what to look or look not for?
This is a great time to start as there is a holiday even beginning Saturday with login bonuses every day. The game will inundate you with lots of information up from, and here is a big post with a bunch of basic tips you can refer back to as well:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=226343561&postcount=2079

Wereroku

He just pulled a Brad

edit: oh wait falling off the train isn't an instant death? Wow. I was super nervous during this fight for nothing!!

Yeah they tell you at the start of the fight falling off is instant death. So I went in for the 5 dollar 30 pack of gems. Don't know if I will get anymore but this game deserves some money for being so enjoyable.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
He just pulled a Brad

edit: oh wait falling off the train isn't an instant death? Wow. I was super nervous during this fight for nothing!!

Yeah, I thought so, too. I fell off once due to an oops R1 attack with fists. Turns out you just have to run through the damn gauntlet again.

Kalentan

$15 for the Express Pass? Wow, really? That shit should be like $8 at most.

Also I'm not sure how I feel about them selling materials...

Syysch

I'm uncertain of if I should try and take them. I know it's kinda impossible with my tier 3, level 76 collector but I may go for it.

For future reference and anybody else that doesnt know, jackals are basically level 200s in 6-star gear, you're gonna have a bad time if that doesnt sound like an enemy you are ready for.

You'll do literally negligible damage with a t3 character and get oneshot in return. I've done just that when i tried to snipe one the very first time i saw one and couldnt even see its level/health bar when i started firing.

Yeah they tell you at the start of the fight falling off is instant death. So I went in for the 5 dollar 30 pack of gems. Don't know if I will get anymore but this game deserves some money for being so enjoyable.

Yeah, I thought so, too. I fell off once due to an oops R1 attack with fists. Turns out you just have to run through the damn gauntlet again.

haha that was one of the few moments of "they didn't do that thing to punish me?!" in this game

lol you have no idea how clammy my hands were during that fight. I was terrified of falling off and having to salvage the character because I was low on money at the time. Pretty funny in retrospect.

Is there a chat where we can talk to Jeff or is this basically an extended QL?

Wereroku

lol you have no idea how clammy my hands were during that fight. I was terrified of falling off and having to salvage the character because I was low on money at the time. Pretty funny in retrospect.

Is there a chat where we can talk to Jeff or is this basically an extended QL?

He is streaming it through Giantbomb's chat so I assume he is checking that every once in a while.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I straight-up love some of the TDM team badges. Are they from something or just original creations for this game?

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
For future reference and anybody else that doesnt know, jackals are basically level 200s in 6-star gear, you're gonna have a bad time if that doesnt sound like an enemy you are ready for.

You'll do literally negligible damage with a t3 character and get oneshot in return. I've done just that when i tried to snipe one the very first time i saw one and couldnt even see its level/health bar when i started firing.
Couldn't an experience player simply counter/parry every hit that comes their way and attack accordingly? Or is a player unable to do that to a Jackal?

*Disclaimer I haven't run into an enemy that damages me when I perfectly parry them and I haven't seen or fought any Jackal

Ricker

Fuck Floor 10 Boss,I cant do it lol...I seem to get worst each time because I want to go too fast on the first part...need to take a break ;)

Baliis

Couldn't an experience player simply counter/parry every hit that comes their way and attack accordingly? Or is a player unable to do that to a Jackal?

*Disclaimer I haven't run into an enemy that damages me when I perfectly parry them and I haven't seen or fought any Jackal

Possibly, but you'd still have to kill it without messing up a single time and eventually another jackal is going to spawn.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Express member inventory slots <3

Can you parry gunshots?

I haven't tried but I assume that it's possible considering you can "block" gunshots for reduced damage. However, most firearms are automatic so it's not likely that you're going to parry every shot.

Also, regarding the Jackals:
the single shot I took from a Jackal seemed to be electric damage so...

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Seem to be original.
Not digging the Germany one though. Looks bland.
Admittedly that isn't great. :(

My home state's seems to be an awesome homage to Ocean Drive. And the Brazil, Nevada, West Virginia, Texas, and UK ones are really nice. Also lol Ohio.

While it's efficient to let haters kill other enemies around them before you take them on. Just remember that they get rage out of it.

Ooohh, so that's why they sometimes (but rarely) use rage moves. Really great to know. I never let them kill the other enemies though, I take advantage of the fact they're distracted to kill them.

What a bizarre reversal with all that stuff up in the store. And sadly $15 for the monthly express pass is laughable, that's a full-on MMO subscription price...

The one-time $5 for 30 death metal is a good value and nice way to throw them some support but I'm actually a tad put off spending anything now seeing all that they've decided to add :(

Can't see the store page (not up in EU I think), but does this change things that much versus all that not existing until now? The only thing I understand people being disappointed is the express pass, but I never expected it to cost anything below 12$, and it doesn't even seem that important (it's just elevator costs, right?).

I plan to continue using my F2P game expenditure algorithm: spend money according to the amount of enjoyment you've already got out of the game. In my case, at 50+ hours, that would total 20€ at the very least even with my usually rather stingy and conservative standard. Of these I've currently spent 6€, so I'll be more than happy to buy the 30 DM pack.

tl;dr Don't think of the game as it will be in the future, think of it as you've enjoyed it until now, and spend accordingly.

Lucent

So that one time 30 death metals pack for $4.99. Is that there forever until you buy it? Or is it gonna go away in a month?

Syysch

Attacker or Striker.

I believe a striker needs to use a -dex requirement decal for it, but they'll hit the hardest with it.

(it's just elevator costs, right?).

Plus no raid fee, a free decal per day (non-premium), and 10 extra bag slots for all your characters. The bag slots are really the only thing i personally care about. Elevator fees dont put you negative unless you're running a single boss and only the boss over and over.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Christ everyone has it out for California right now. ._. So much raiding to do, these poor bastards,,

D i Z

Christ everyone has it out for California right now. ._. So much raiding to do, these poor bastards,,

Looks like the way to go for us Cali fighters is to get in early with the raid wars before the competition is drained completely. I haven't been able to find an opponent for hours.
We're going into the Canada and Germany tag teaming with more rage than ever for both. Three full blown conflicts in progress isn't even going to slow Cali down, and that's a damned shame.

Volcynika

Now that I have the cleaver saber and level it up a bit, should 23F boss be a bit more manageable? Tried it without it, and the damage just wasn't enough.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Does this change things that much versus all that not existing until now?
well, it changes things in that I was sort of looking forward to giving them that recurring revenue just out of support, and it's too pricey for me to consider doing so on an ongoing basis and I may not ever.
I never expected it to cost anything below 12$
I expected 8-12 and would've paid 12 for jan. and feb., I think. Actually, it didn't even occur to me remotely that they'd go over 12 and the optimist in me was hoping someone on their staff was gunning for a ballsy $5-6 (perhaps for PS plus owners). Imagine how many people in this thread balking at 15 bucks would have already shelled out for one if it had been priced that aggressively.

Ultimately it simply, made me more inclined to play without using it (though the benefits are nice). But I hope nonetheless that they are successful and make a tidy sum from the store, because risks like this do deserve to be rewarded even if I may not personally drop as much as I thought I might.
I plan to continue using my F2P game expenditure algorithm: spend money according to the amount of enjoyment you've already got out of the game. In my case, at 50+ hours, that would total 20&#8364; at the very least even with my usually rather stingy and conservative standard. Of these I've currently spent 6&#8364;, so I'll be more than happy to buy the 30 DM pack.
yep yep. already bought it, it was an easy decision to give them that after my initial reaction.
tl;dr Don't think of the game as it will be in the future, think of it as you've enjoyed it until now, and spend accordingly.
rather than either of the above, I had been thinking of it more as an ongoing fee I'd be willing to pay for my continuing enjoyment and support for their model. I generally loathe subscription fees of any sort so it was huge for me to even consider such a thing. This is just priced too high in real dollars for me to be willing, that's all.

Express pass sales may very well be a thing in the future so I will keep my ears to the ground.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Looks like the way to go for us Cali fighters is to get in early with the raid wars before the competition is drained completely. I haven't been able to find an opponent for hours.
We're going into the Canada and Germany tag teaming with more rage than ever for both. Three full blown conflicts in progress isn't even going to slow Cali down, and that's a damned shame.
I've been pretty consistently getting targets actually. Some low levels dude too with way too much in their bank.

Syysch

There's a mid-boss in 9F Yoshiki-Dan called MK1 who I can't even damage. Whats the trick? Poison shrooms or something?

Was it a boss or a reversal tuber? Big ol' robot with piston arms or something and a bunch of aoe attacks? Gotta hit that guy in the back.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
There's a mid-boss in 9F Yoshiki-Dan called MK1 who I can't even damage. Whats the trick? Poison shrooms or something?
Mk. Whatever is the equivalent of level for Tubers, rather than showing Lv. Whatever like Screamer and Haters

Which kind was this? Were you unable to damage it because it had spindly arms it was holding in front of it to block?

D i Z

I've been pretty consistently getting targets actually. Some low levels dude too with way too much in their bank.

Really? Dang. Maybe my level pool is tapped then. I get populated lists for everything else. This happened for quite a few people that I know during the second war that we had. The first 12 hours are fine with diminishing returns, and then poof! All gone, or can't be found.
More time for farming/climbing, so no big loss there I suppose.

Syysch

Really? Dang. Maybe my level pool is tapped then. I get populated lists for everything else. This happened for quite a few people that I know during the second war that we had. The first 12 hours are fine with diminishing returns, and then poof! All gone, or can't be found.
More time for farming/climbing, so no big loss there I suppose.

Just keep trying if you want, you arent tied to people near your rank for fights, it's just the server not finding someone for whatever reason.

cakely

$5 for 30 death metal? I'll do it. I'm way, way past the $5 level of enjoyment for this game.

FYI, in Gung Ho's other game, Puzzle and Dragons, they would eventually reset the one-time offer ($5 for 10 stones) so you could take it again.

MrDaravon

Wreck the floor
boss, then get immediately one-shotted by a level 50 hater right outside the gate. This is fine

I really think the grind is getting to me on this though, combined with really not being a fan of Raiding and the Hater and Jackal mechanics (I don't like how Haters are leveled through the entire tower based on your current Grade bracket in particular). How hard is it to grind out for golden beasts? I'm still at the point where I've only seen two in the wild. I think I've about hit the point where if it's not very very easy to level up new characters via golden beasts I'm about to tap out here to be honest.

Even if I'm about done I'll still give them the $5 for the 30 DM package if nothing else because they deserve it. The Express Pass at $15 a month is a bit high IMO; I was expecting/hoping for $10 and if it was I'd do it right now even if I wind up being done, but at $15 I'm waiting to see if I'm going to stick with it or not first.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
$5 for 30 death metal? I'll do it. I'm way, way past the $5 level of enjoyment for this game.

FYI, in Gung Ho's other game, Puzzle and Dragons, they would eventually reset the one-time offer ($5 for 10 stones) so you could take it again.
That's cool of them. Hope it is reset every so often, and I'll buy it each time as long as I'm still playing.

Top Bottom