• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let It Die |OT| F2P roguelike Dark Souls with a skateboarding skeleton

D i Z

I'm guessing the hate is so lopsided that the standing is like a tier 2 effect. Red mist for enough hate to start with 1 rage boost, mist and standing when you start with 2 rage boosts.

Yeah I figured that was what it was.

Cali's not even finished with Texas yet (10 and a half hours to go) and Canada and Germany are going to pop off before we're done.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
What a bizarre reversal with all that stuff up in the store. And sadly $15 for the monthly express pass is laughable, that's a full-on MMO subscription price...

The one-time $5 for 30 death metal is a good value and nice way to throw them some support but I'm actually a tad put off spending anything now seeing all that they've decided to add :(

What a bizarre reversal with all that stuff up in the store. And sadly $15 for the monthly express pass is laughable, that's a full-on MMO subscription price...

The one-time $5 for 30 death metal is a good value and nice way to throw them some support but I'm actually a tad put off spending anything now seeing all that they've decided to add :(

I'm really puzzled by the $15 express pass price. Surely they'd have to have a lot more gated off content to justify the same price as any AAA P2P MMO?

I just don't really understand their reasoning.

Lulz, $15 a month...C'mon now.

That's pretty ridiculous, I'll jus continue to save my 1 day passes and use them when it's worth it...I've got 7 already.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'm sure it was heavily debated and then probably had a good sense it was desirable, but I am pretty surprised at that price point too and certainly won't ever buy it at that.

I wonder if their thinking is that since it's not a recurring subscription and just a one-off item that happens to last 30 days, it can be subject to individual sale periods, at which point I'd consider it. But can you buy more than one and stockpile them, I wonder?

edit:
The stuff from the direct hill PS+ booster goes to your rewards box btw.

edit: ^yeah, thus far I haven't used one of the freebies (was waiting, for well, this) and I will just continue to rely on using them selectively when I know I'll get the most from it I guess.

I don't think the express pass is something I'd buy every month, but neither is $15 too much to pay for a game I've played as much as this.

Certainly happy to buy one of those and the discounted death metal to do bit to make sure the game makes some money. I mean, they didn't give it to us purely out of the kindness of their hearts!

D i Z

I'm sure it was heavily debated and then probably had a good sense it was desirable, but I am pretty surprised at that price point too and certainly won't ever buy it at that.

I wonder if their thinking is that since it's not a recurring subscription and just a one-off item that happens to last 30 days, it can be subject to individual sale periods, at which point I'd consider it. But can you buy more than one and stockpile them, I wonder?

edit:
The stuff from the direct hill PS+ booster goes to your rewards box btw.

edit: ^yeah, thus far I haven't used one of the freebies (was waiting, for well, this) and I will just continue to rely on using them selectively when I know I'll get the most from it I guess.

They might believe it to be the most valuable commodity that they have. With enough given away for free, the bitter pill will be swallowed regardless. I guess it might be justified as a whale tax to the extent that the lower percentage of higher purchases will outweigh the loss of the higher percentage of low purchases. Maybe this is what they consider to be a middle ground to dip into both purchasing pools and not lose players outright.
More people might turn their noses up at the price, but when push comes to shove and they play with the purpose of progressing, that revival tax coupled with farming/ travel costs add up. Especially when people don't use their DM exclusively for storage and instead burn them on revivals instead.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I can see some more value in considering it a one-time or occasional purchase rather than a monthly recurring one. But I guess the funny thing is, well, I can absolutely imagine I'll be playing regularly to some degree for the next two months (I progress slowly and mess around a lot). I would have paid $8 per pass in a heartbeat for each, for a total of a dollar more than just buying a single one of these, which I won't do. But, one person buying this one for two months will make up for my lack of sale and a $6 bonus on top of it.

I guess I was expecting them to land somewhere in the $8-12 range and I'd have been basically on board even at the high end of that. But the new store feels, I dunno, a lot more like what I expect to see in an F2P game rather than a whole new thing, which this really felt like up until now.
when push comes to shove and they play with the purpose of progressing, that revival tax coupled with farming costs add up.
I mean if it truly comes down to being unable to progress against the alternative of paying $15 I'll just stop playing outright. At present I've gotten enormous value from a free product and was interested in spending money just as enthusiastic support for that fact, spending money with the purpose of continuing to get a good experience changes the value proposition altogether.
Especially when people don't use their DM exclusively for storage and instead burn them on revivals instead.
this I don't do, so maybe I can last a while as I've been going.

bigol

But the new store feels, I dunno, a lot more like what I expect to see in an F2P game rather than a whole new thing, which this really felt like up until now.

It was always going to end up this way. Let it Die can be beaten with patience without using F2P Express pass though.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
3 of the 4 bonuses are worth it IMHO. But i think they should have also tossed in something like 5-10 DM. That would have made it a much easier pill to swallow for some people.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
It was always going to end up this way. Let it Die can be beaten with patience without using F2P Express pass though.
shouldn't be taken for granted that it had to end up this way :( I like it when I see experimentation in the market.

Even with this scheme it is still pretty unique as a console game goes.
3 of the 4 bonuses are worth it IMHO. But i think they should have also tossed in something like 5-10 DM. That would have made it a much easier pill to swallow for some people.
This is interesting to consider, but definitely solidifies that the price point itself is what I cared about. I was totally thinking about it in terms of "how much are they hoping I'll spend each month as a fan?" rather than what I'd get for that money.

edit: Went back and checked, there are two more free 1-day passes coming if you log in during the Christmas event.
Think I'll make it to floor 20 without using any and then see how far I can get with the ~10 I've got stockpiled.

I am gonna buy the $5 DMs now just cause I really do want to at least offer a little cash. On the whole I still really want to encourage efforts like this in the future.

Demoskinos

I am very tempted to just buy the $99 pack of death metals with the red metal bonus. Being able to get my machetes fully upgraded or at least upgraded to the next tier for floor 21-30 would be AMAZING.

But alas I'll just settle for the 30 day pass and the PS+ pack.

And to everyone complaining about this shit. STOP. You've been given a pretty fucking high quality game that doesn't shove the F2P shit in your face hardly at all. Its up to YOUR impulses to not buy a grip of death metals. But you know what? Considering you got this for free I'd say it wouldn't hurt to spend like $20 on the game if you like it.

Because they could have easily implemented some shitty energy system where you could only progress so far each day or something. This is one of the best F2P games I've ever seen.

hyp

here's my little tip for new players: work on leveling up your fists to a high mastery early on. this helps when you start unlocking new fighter ranks. with new fighter ranks come higher level haters. if your fists are leveled up you'll have an easier time dealing with them on the lower floors and gaining the EXP needed to level up your higher ranked, naked characters.

at least for me, this has made it much easier to start creating specific builds to suit my needs. for example, i've got a bruiser who is meant to defeat bosses and help my progression to higher floors. another build i've got is my farmer who has the coins decal and who's a collector type that helps when i need some extra cash to salvage dead fighters or purchase things.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
At what point is the 30 Day Pass worth it? Like at what floor does the elevator costs become really hard to swallow?

Keep in my I'm only around Floor 8 (I been wasting alot of time exploring the side paths at my own leasure) but once I get to higher levels I wouldn't mind tossing $15 to Grasshopper Manufacture because I'm enjoying the game alot so far.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
For any new players jumping in (great time to do so), I recommend avoiding the Starter Pack early on. The 20000 coins is easily earned and the other item is of extreeeeeemely limited use when starting out- and you'll get free ones if you log in every day during the christmas event. Just stick to the $5 for 30 death metals as a starter boost if you want one.

You'll get a free 1-day express pass early on you can use to see how beneficial the pass effects are (they are very good, but become really valuable the higher up you go in the tower).

In the future if you wanna buy more death metals down the line, the starter pack is priced the same as a regular 30 DMs, so then it wouldn't be a bad choice.

Redownload it on your other account, i'm gonna do the same. InternHertz checked, you will keep your Fighters and will be able to get stuff from the Store!

Wait you can't change the account you play with in order to keep your characters: the account you're logged in to must be the same.
The account origin for the download though can be changed.

So you played with your EU account on the US downloaded version, you'll have to keep using the EU account with the new EU download to continue.
If you downloaded from the US and played with this account too, then you're done & you can't access the EU store with that.

Demoskinos

At what point is the 30 Day Pass worth it? Like at what floor does the elevator costs become really hard to swallow?

Keep in my I'm only around Floor 8 (I been wasting alot of time exploring the side paths at my own leasure) but once I get to higher levels I wouldn't mind tossing $15 to Grasshopper Manufacture because I'm enjoying the game alot so far.

When your doing multiple runs on a single floor in the mid 20's for farming and its costing you 6K round trip each time that adds up. Its more than that as well. You get free decals for logging in every day your a premium member and I'm pretty sure raiding costs you no killcoins.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
can you explain?

I've tested this and it's worked for me every time. But others are reporting that it doesn't necessarily work as intended. I believe it's going to be due to where you pick up the blueprints.

Anyways, when you go back to the waiting room, go up to the BP guy, but don't talk to him. Instead, go into your inventory and discard/drop all but one BP you're carrying. Your character will place them on the ground, so you aren't getting rid of them. Note - you should probably be far enough away from the counter to prevent your dude from clipping them into the counter, because I could totally see that happening.

So once you've only got one ??? BP in your inventory, talk to the guy. He will ID it. Pick up one ??? BP and do it again. Repeat until your BP stash is empty.

In theory, this should help you get new items every time. However, depending on how BP spawns work and how the system actually works, you may not. My thoughts are that some BP spawns are static and some are random. I think static spawns are decided when you pick them up in the tower but that random spawns are determined when you talk to the guy in the waiting room while holding BPs in your inventory. Almost like it assigns an ID to the BPs in your inventory once you speak to him.

Brunire

I am around floor 16 and the elevator price is around $1500 to go up that far. I assume after floor 20 you are looking at significant coin if you are using the elevator a lot.

delSai

Wait you can't change the account you play with in order to keep your characters: the account you're logged in to must be the same.

So you played with your EU account on the US downloaded version, you'll have to keep using the EU account with the new EU download to continue.
If you downloaded from the US and played with this account too, then you're done & you can't access the EU store with that.

I see, sorry for the misunderstanding!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Goddammit!
How do I get to floor 6?!
I only see locked gate everywhere....
What areas on floor 5 do you have available? You may need to return to Ikegara and take a different route up than you originally did. A gate will have opened after killing that boss on Floor 3.

Aselith

Giving blueprints and very little material seems like a bad choice. Blueprint by all means but like 1 or 2 materials is just not worth it. Will probably get the 30 death metals for 4.99 though.

Like this is wut tier

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...-axe/cid=UP0747-CUSA03769_00-DEVSTEELAXE00000

You don't even get rare materials...

They really need to nail their monetization and this is not doing it. 30 pass should be like all the other stuff plus 1 death medal per day kinda thing that would keep people coming back.

The Express Pass seems like a good deal IMO. If it had been there day 1 I might have bit, but since I'm near the end of the current tower (37ish) I'm going to wait and see on what the future floors bring to the table.

NeoRausch

What areas on floor 5 do you have available? You may need to return to Ikegara and take a different route up than you originally did. A gate will have opened after killing that boss on Floor 3.

Killed the boss already.

On the fifth one got HYAKUDOR (main) and the on left from it, which is blacked out. It connects to TAGAHARA on the fourth but I can't find an escalator.

Later in the game you will have to farm bosses for rare metals, and the number of elevator trips you take will go up quite a bit. Also the storage space is a godsend, basically makes every class a collector.

Elevator costs aren't ever really terrible. Gets a bit in the way if you are trying to farm something really specific, and need to go up and down constantly to reset.

The best part of the pass is really the bag space, and some of the pass specific decals.

The Express Pass seems like a good deal IMO. If it had been there day 1 I might have bit, but since I'm near the end of the current tower (37ish) I'm going to wait and see on what the future floors bring to the table.

Gungho / Grasshopper really dropped the ball by not having the express pass available day one. I imagine a lot of the most dedicated fans of the game, those most likely to want to spend money, are in the same boat as you.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
NeoRausch said:
Killed the boss already.

On the fifth one got HYAKUDOR (main) and the on left from it, which is blacked out. It connects to TAGAHARA on the fourth but I can't find an escalator.
It doesn't actually connect to Tagahara except for by elevator. So it looks like you never found the escalator up from the 4th- go back to Tagahara (the escalator up to it from Tamata is right after the boss) and find the escalator to that blacked out one to the left of Hyakudori. That's what'll get you to 6F.

Aselith

Elevator costs aren't ever really terrible. Gets a bit in the way if you are trying to farm something really specific, and need to go up and down constantly to reset.

The best part of the pass is really the bag space, and some of the pass specific decals.

It's only 10 slots though which is not that great

Syysch

I've tested this and it's worked for me every time. But others are reporting that it doesn't necessarily work as intended. I believe it's going to be due to where you pick up the blueprints.

Anyways, when you go back to the waiting room, go up to the BP guy, but don't talk to him. Instead, go into your inventory and discard/drop all but one BP you're carrying. Your character will place them on the ground, so you aren't getting rid of them. Note - you should probably be far enough away from the counter to prevent your dude from clipping them into the counter, because I could totally see that happening.

So once you've only got one ??? BP in your inventory, talk to the guy. He will ID it. Pick up one ??? BP and do it again. Repeat until your BP stash is empty.

In theory, this should help you get new items every time. However, depending on how BP spawns work and how the system actually works, you may not. My thoughts are that some BP spawns are static and some are random. I think static spawns are decided when you pick them up in the tower but that random spawns are determined when you talk to the guy in the waiting room while holding BPs in your inventory. Almost like it assigns an ID to the BPs in your inventory once you speak to him.

I tried that yesterday after reading about it and got a couple duplicates, so it's not guaranteed, unless i fully exhausted all possibilities from those floors already.

Caim

It never really does honestly. I'm on 37 but also on the express 1 day pass at the moment so I couldn't tell you the prices, but I recall 19 and mid 20s is like 2000+ coins if going there from the waiting room.

NeoRausch

It doesn't actually connect to Tagahara except for by elevator. So it looks like you never found the escalator up from the 4th- go back to Tagahara (the escalator up to it from Tamata is right after the boss) and find the escalator to that blacked out one to the left of Hyakudori. That's what'll get you to 6F.

Huh!

Alright! Thanks for the help! Time to revisit TAGAHARA! 🤓

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
ALL 3 JACKALS HAVE SPAWNED in Koshi-Tagawa and these fuckers aren't going away. I hid after hearing the alarm and they just spawned in one after the other. I'm hiding behind a wall and they're staying in the corridor leading to the only exit. What do I do? I took video and screenshots. I'm uncertain of if I should try and take them. I know it's kinda impossible with my tier 3, level 76 collector but I may go for it. I just don't want to lose all my spoils and have to retrieve my character.

Caim

ALL 3 JACKALS HAVE SPAWNED in Koshi-Tagawa and these fuckers aren't going away. I hid after hearing the alarm and they just spawned in one after the other. I'm hiding behind a wall and they're staying in the corridor leading to the only exit. What do I do? I took video and screenshots. I'm uncertain of if I should try and take them. I know it's kinda impossible with my tier 3, level 76 collector but I may go for it. I just don't want to lose all my spoils and have to retrieve my character.

Do you have a solo shelter?

Or is them being there cancel out all safe zones?

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Do you have a solo shelter?

Or is them being there cancel out all safe zones?

No, I didn't buy a shelter so I can't answer the follow-up question. All I have to combat them besides my weapons are a decoyshroom

hyp

I wonder if they'll ever do exclusive sets of armor/weapons for events, maybe after the game launches in Japan?

Imagine a "Rank 1 Assassin" set.

220px-TravisTouchdown.png

oh god, don't give them any ideas now. you know it's gonna cost like $60 for something like that.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

Level 76 T3 character? You're dead for sure if you take them on. Success rate is 0%, haha.

Run for the escalator.

Gala

Hi, I wanna try the game over the upcoming holidays. Any tips for a fresh player, what to get early on and or what to look or look not for?

hyp

great method, thanks for the tip!

delSai

I don't see how thats possible, but I'll certainly give it a shot. thx

Sorry there was a bit confusion on my end. This is the complete, correct explanation.

MaKTaiL

Just run for your life.

Top Bottom