• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let It Die |OT| F2P roguelike Dark Souls with a skateboarding skeleton

Syysch

Plus no raid fee, a free decal per day (non-premium), and 10 extra bag slots for all your characters. The bag slots are really the only thing i personally care about. Elevator fees dont put you negative unless you're running a single boss and only the boss over and over.

Remembered another one - TDM train can leave immediately instead of having to wait til 1:30 if you have to retreat (or capture someone quickly).

Couldn't an experience player simply counter/parry every hit that comes their way and attack accordingly? Or is a player unable to do that to a Jackal?

*Disclaimer I haven't run into an enemy that damages me when I perfectly parry them and I haven't seen or fought any Jackal

I'm honestly not sure if you could perfect guard your way to victory, but more will continue to spawn on top of you if you can't kill them fast enough, and one of them has a gun.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
How long do I have to salvage? My first Jackal encounter was such a fucking joke. Alarm went off, turned the corner, and the gun bastard hit me for 10k. No time to react.

Syysch

How long do I have to salvage? My first Jackal encounter was such a fucking joke. Alarm went off, turned the corner, and the gun bastard hit me for 10k. No time to react.

To salvage a dead character from the freezer? Forever I think.

Here's your guys' PSA that naked characters aren't defenders. That's a t3 level 70 taking that hit:

olCKjvD.jpg

Baliis

To salvage a dead character from the freezer? Forever I think.

Here's your guys' PSA that naked characters aren't defenders. That's a t3 level 70 taking that hit:

I mean, a t3 char has like, 1k hp maybe if they're a defender? No armor is going to save them from that.

Syysch

I mean, a t3 char has like, 1k hp maybe if they're a defender? No armor is going to save them from that.

Yeah, but I just ran into a guy just now with ok-ish armor on a defender class and my damage was down to 1200-1800 per hit, it skyrockets against naked guys and all it takes it one hit to make it through and they might as well not have existed in the first place. I mean my punches are doing 500-600 against naked guys, that's 2-3 combos to drop a t4.

Maybe this is old news here but i gotta say quest 003 is broken. Killing 20 screamers in keiran-Jima is impossible. If you're lucky enough to find the level, which seems to only appear twice a week, you'll find it only has one enemy:A hater, and it don't count. Wasted so much time on that.
Also, how do you do climb missions? I need some advice, I'm getting rank/tier 4 haters that are nearly killing me in one hit, nevermind the level enemies, which keep invalidating my attempts. Any advice?

I asked this when the game first launched but I guess now I can get more accurate answers. How feasible is F2P in this game? Has anyone been able to finish the story by going F2P only?

Also, how good of an internet connection does it need?

Thanks.

Syysch

I asked this when the game first launched but I guess now I can get more accurate answers. How feasible is F2P in this game? Has anyone been able to finish the story by going F2P only?

Also, how good of an internet connection does it need?

Thanks.

You could beat the game without paying. One of the biggest things worth buying with death metals is expanding your storage box (so you don't have to pick and choose with resource/mushroom hoarding), though there are quite a few death metals you can receive from quest/login rewards to get a fairly substantial amount of space for free. The occasional revive-in-place is nice, but again you can get some death metals for free and hang onto them for special circumstances where giving up progress isn't something you want to do, such as a boss at 10% hp.

Internet connection can be garbage to be honest. My ISP's service went down the toilet last weekend, like severe problems, and the game was still playable other than massive load times when the internet dropped below dialup speed. You shouldn't experience any lag, the game is played client-side, but menus, shops, and changing floors require you to ping the server. Had my connection drop off a cliff while changing floors once, and I just had to dismiss error messages for half an hour and eventually connection came back and I switched floors with no loss of progress.

You could beat the game without paying. One of the biggest things worth buying with death metals is expanding your storage box (so you don't have to pick and choose with resource/mushroom hoarding), though there are quite a few death metals you can receive from quest/login rewards to get a fairly substantial amount of space for free. The occasional revive-in-place is nice, but again you can get some death metals for free and hang onto them for special circumstances where giving up progress isn't something you want to do, such as a boss at 10% hp.

Internet connection can be garbage to be honest. My ISP's service went down the toilet last weekend, like severe problems, and the game was still playable other than massive load times when the internet dropped below dialup speed. You shouldn't experience any lag, the game is played client-side, but menus, shops, and changing floors require you to ping the server. Had my connection drop off a cliff while changing floors once, and I just had to dismiss error messages for half an hour and eventually connection came back and I switched floors with no loss of progress.
Wow, that's actually a lot better than I was expecting. So people here have been able to actually finish the story without paying, huh? If so, then I'll probably join you guys soon-ish.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Fuuuuuck I need an elevator. 16F-19F and no elevator in site.

E: There's an elevator on 19. Good. Gotta make it there safely now!

Baliis

Kind of annoyed right now. Lost my best guy, but can't grind to get him back because apparently there's no one left in Texas that's raidable, blah

Hamster0

Maybe this is old news here but i gotta say quest 003 is broken. Killing 20 screamers in keiran-Jima is impossible. If you're lucky enough to find the level, which seems to only appear twice a week, you'll find it only has one enemy:A hater, and it don't count. Wasted so much time on that.

I just found that out 30 mins ago, I've been trying to do that quest since the game started, and only just found the floor.

Serviam

Also, how do you do climb missions? I need some advice, I'm getting rank/tier 4 haters that are nearly killing me in one hit, nevermind the level enemies, which keep invalidating my attempts. Any advice?

You have to clear the end floor of mobs too. Also, I always do that and travel to the next floor. Once back in the arcade and going to the challenge log it gets reported as complete. There is no popup saying you are done while in the tower.

hm

EUROPEAN/UK STORE is updated buy less stuff to buy and cost more.

there's no 1time 30 death medals for 5 quid which is sad.

only starter pack 13,99 which gives:

Think your Tower of Barbs attack plan is flawless?
This is a 1-time limited pack stuffed full with handy items to help you take on the Tower and return alive.

30 Death Metals
20,000 Kill Coins
Tryptamine D: 1
(Use in the tower to return to the waiting room)
Barbmeat Full Portion: 10
(Eat to recover full HP)

This content can only be purchased once.
If your Rewards Box has 50 or more items in it, you will be able to claim your purchased items when the amount of items in the box drops below 50.
If you already have the maximum amount of Kill Coins, you will not be able to take Kill Coins out of your Rewards Box.

You have to clear the end floor of mobs too. Also, I always do that and travel to the next floor. Once back in the arcade and going to the challenge log it gets reported as complete. There is no popup saying you are done while in the tower.

It does however show you in the rolodex menu option, however, I have completed one. Problem is back then I didn't have rank 4 haters. I don't think its possible for me to do them now.
It could be something else botching the runs, but as far as i can tell, a hater's screamer kill means you're screwed.
Weirdly enough tho, i believe 2 haters can kill eachother with no problems. I ran into this on one weird floor but still completed the challenge

Serviam

It does however show you in the rolodex menu option, however, I have completed one. Problem is back then I didn't have rank 4 haters. I don't think its possible for me to do them now.
It could be something else botching the runs, but as far as i can tell, a hater's screamer kill means you're screwed.
Weirdly enough tho, i believe 2 haters can kill eachother with no problems. I ran into this on one weird floor but still completed the challenge

Bring a sniper and hurry up killing them before they have the chance to get the mobs. But yeah, the developer really have to fix that issue.

Just got tier3 chars and damn its weird when encountering lv 54 haters on the first floor. Strange thing tho, they often get killed by the mobs in some places. Especially the ones with snipers.

Also, is it just me or does tier 3 also unlock 2 haters/floor for anyone else?

Plus no raid fee, a free decal per day (non-premium), and 10 extra bag slots for all your characters. The bag slots are really the only thing i personally care about. Elevator fees dont put you negative unless you're running a single boss and only the boss over and over.

Oh, I didn't know about the bag slots and indeed that does make a lot of difference. Now I'm also disappointed that it's that expensive. :D

Ah, I understand now. The pessimist / cynicist in me expected a high price (particularly extrapolating from Death Metals) so I defaulted my planning to not buying it unless it was surprisingly cheap. If you had every intention of subscribing I see how this must be disappointing, especially considering the 10 bag slot thing.

That said, to me this doesn't make or break the game at all. My primary concern with the game is that higher floors may get too pricey to resurrect / regear characters in that playing either becomes a constant grind or requires death metals. This hasn't happened yet but I would be lying if seeing those rez costs in the higher floors didn't give me pause. Under that prism, express passes don't really bother me much, since they don't bring much to the table that would solve that problem. In other words, I'm not worried that buying express passes is mandatory to progress in late game, the way I am worried that Death Metals may.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I bought the Express Pass last night. It's sort of fantastic. It means that every time I see an elevator I can make a pit stop and not worry about the costs, ha.

Do Jackals react to Decoyshrooms? I may start carrying those around juuuust in case.

Burnburn

Made a level 4 lucky star and absolutely in love with it. This character is so good for farming, it's ridiculous. I've been grinding Nokejiri for the pas week for D.O.D. Green metals and even though the actual D.O.D. green hunting was very disappointing, the fact that I always got back with 20-30k money was so good.

I'd recommend anyone to have a good lucky star ready

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Made a level 4 lucky star and absolutely in love with it. This character is so good for farming, it's ridiculous. I've been grinding Nokejiri for the pas week for D.O.D. Green metals and even though the actual D.O.D. green hunting was very disappointing, the fact that I always got back with 20-30k money was so good.

I'd recommend anyone to have a good lucky star ready

I'm waiting until I unlock T4, but once I do, it's Lucky Star with Lucky Cat + Clover decals for mad luck.

Demoskinos

I bought the Express Pass last night. It's sort of fantastic. It means that every time I see an elevator I can make a pit stop and not worry about the costs, ha.

Do Jackals react to Decoyshrooms? I may start carrying those around juuuust in case.

Any A.I. in the game will react to the Decoyshrooms so yes it could potentially be a help with running from the jackals.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Any A.I. in the game will react to the Decoyshrooms so yes it could potentially be a help with running from the jackals.

Cool. This is good to know.

Also, possible PSA - opening the Direct Hell menu may pause the game. I'm going to test it after work. This could be a game changer for long climbs when I have to get up and do something.

Ricker

Can you cheese the level 10 Boss fight...like run all the way to the end of
the train to trigger the cutscene or am I asking for trouble ?

shinkai

You probably can. I don't think the enemies can follow you over as you guys are taken to a walled off section of the train after the cut-scene.

I think because you have to wait for the trains to reposition it might be easier, but getting there really isn't too bad.

Trick to beating the boss for anyone interested:
You can lure him into the electric fence and he'll stun himself, allowing you to wail on him pretty easily. Careful not to stun yourself though.

Demoskinos

Ah ok. I assumed that was how long I had to claim it.

When you can open the box you'll get a brief "cut-scene" I guess you'd call it where the camera will pan over to the box when you log in/come back to the waiting room and it'll have a little fanfare thing play. Its pretty overt so you'll know.

California is fighting with Canada... But Tetsuo keeps giving me the same guy from Florida to fight over and over, instead of someone on the Canadian team.

What the hell is going on? Definitely a new one for me.

California is fighting with Canada... But Tetsuo keeps giving me the same guy from Florida to fight over and over, instead of someone on the Canadian team.

What the hell is going on? Definitely a new one for me.

Good!

Try logging in and out, but perhaps its loading the wrong icon for where that player is from, if you've not try fighting them and see what pops up next

Good!

Try logging in and out, but perhaps its loading the wrong icon for where that player is from, if you've not try fighting them and see what pops up next
Fought him three times already, and just relogged. He's still my only available target.

Oh well. More buggy raid stuff going on I guess.

Syysch

Fought him three times already, and just relogged. He's still my only available target.

Oh well. More buggy raid stuff going on I guess.

Happened to me in one of the recent raids too, should fix itself eventually. I hit the same guy like 14 times before it moved to someone else.

This game is really bad and yet at the same time really good! I don't know what to make of it. I think it could end up being my GOTY, despite the fact that I think the gameplay mechanics are weak... Yet I love them.

Help me GAF!

EDIT: I know the comparison between Dark Souls has been drawn already from a mechanics standpoint, but I think it might be more apt to compare their niche appeal.

Got the 6€ one time 30 DM bundle and immediately spent it all on storage space. For the record, I thought I had read somewhere that 300 was the limit? Well, it's not true in any case; I'm at 370 right now. feelsgoodman.jpg.

Top Bottom