• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBThread |OT3| Friends of Dorothy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Oh so do you have all your parts now?

I dunno, you tell me:

970210_10100284409125645_2097098925_n.jpg

Fuck Win8 while I'm at. Fucking Metro and fucking compatibility issues with their own fucking platform no matter if they're dropping it because titles that require it need it. SMFH.

/I gotta figure out why Steam isn't downloading any faster. Same with Origin/Battlefield. >_>

_Isaac

I dunno, you tell me:

Fuck Win8 while I'm at. Fucking Metro and fucking compatibility issues with their own fucking platform no matter if they're dropping it because titles that require it need it. SMFH.

/I gotta figure out why Steam isn't downloading any faster. Same with Origin/Battlefield. >_>

Congratulations though. [:

Also don't you have super slow internet?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
For a while. ISP fixed the issue. I'm thinking it's a router or "downloading from three different services to fill your backlog on this computer up" issues. >_>

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
It should download as fast as your connection can go: My steam downloads usually peak at 2.9MB/s.

In any case, I started watching http://wherethebearsare.tv/episodes.html and even though the acting seems a little forced by the main character at first, it's actually a little funny. Plus, the murder mystery keeps it interesting. I guess they only have the second season online.

There's also some fan service, that I'm not all that used to. :p

Mr_Zombie

It should download as fast as your connection can go: My steam downloads usually peak at 2.9MB/s.

In any case, I started watching http://wherethebearsare.tv/episodes.html and even though the acting seems a little forced by the main character at first, it's actually a little funny. Plus, the murder mystery keeps it interesting. I guess they only have the second season online.

There's also some fan service, that I'm not all that used to. :p

Hmm, the first season was still available few months ago. It seems that they took down episodes from the first season when they started releasing the second season. Shame. Fun show, though; although the acting indeed can be really questionable most of time. Episodic characters are especially guilty of this.

Ahasverus

Third page? really guys? What does this thread needs?
I'll never get used to mum that once in a while whenever i say something gay-related comes out with "ahah i thought u changed your mind about that ahahahahahahahah" then leaves

SO FUCKIN AWKWARD

@_@
Is that you in your avatar? I have some words to share with you

gerg

To attempt to inject some life into this thread, I read a short op-ed today in The Guardian, questioning how apps like Grindr may affect our experience of intimacy, ultimately becoming more emotionally demanding than we may at first anticipate. I've never used Grindr myself (although I do have an OKCupid account), but I think the premise of the article has some weight to it. It reminded me of Sherry Turkle's TED talk on how more people these days report feeling lonely than in previous years, despite the rise of social networking, which I very much agreed with.

gerg

The key is taking those as tools for social interacting, not the only medium for it.

I think that understanding is generally right, but could be more nuanced. Turkle talks a lot about the type of social interaction that happens on sites like Facebook. Ultimately, even a good conversation with someone online is going to be less involving (and so fulfilling) than meeting with someone face-to-face, and yet FB engenders us to even shallower, proxy interactions simply by "Liking" a status, comment or photo. The problem is that people end up using the latter in place of the former, rather than using FB as a means to deeper interaction in real life.

I guess FB and Grindr may differ inasmuch as the latter's purpose is entirely to facilitate real-life meeting (be it as a one night stand, towards a relationship, or just as friends), but it wouldn't surprise me if the anxiety that FB can trigger can also be triggered through apps such as Grindr.

Has anyone on here experienced the problem that Turkle identifies?

Ahasverus

I agree, it's kinda sad how someone liking your photo is enough of a signal for ou to know he/she's interested in you and takes away all the fun of the "guess-play", and so being the case with many others inteactions!

gerg

I agree, it's kinda sad how someone liking your photo is enough of a signal for ou to know he/she's interested in you and takes away all the fun of the "guess-play", and so being the case with many others inteactions!

I think that's slightly different to what I (and the article) suggest. Instead of the "problem" of Grindr being that it makes finding someone too easy (and so removing whatever enjoyment there may be in forming that relationship), what is more problematic is the emotional intensity of (the possibility of) forming so many relationships on so many different levels through the site.

I remember when changing my OKCupid account location to my home town for the summer how my initial feeling of excitement soon changed to one of being overwhelmed, simply on account of how many users there were.

To attempt to inject some life into this thread, I read a short op-ed today in The Guardian, questioning how apps like Grindr may affect our experience of intimacy, ultimately becoming more emotionally demanding than we may at first anticipate. I've never used Grindr myself (although I do have an OKCupid account), but I think the premise of the article has some weight to it. It reminded me of Sherry Turkle's TED talk on how more people these days report feeling lonely than in previous years, despite the rise of social networking, which I very much agreed with.

Nice piece, I enjoyed reading it, as a Grindr user I experienced a lot of what he talked about.

I'm at a time in my life (that has been going on for few years now) in which I feel that I'm doing a terrible job of managing my time, activities, and ambitions. And it makes me not want to be in a relationship, because I can't imagine dealing with the demands of the relationship on top of everything else I'm struggling with.

So I'm one of those "torso pics" on Grindr who is "looking for fun only" and claims to have no interest in chatting, making friends, or anything more.

But I'm realizing that deep down I might be longing for a meaningful relationship, despite my efforts to deny and suppress it... but that's another story.

Now I'm watching the YouTube series The Grindr Guide which was linked in The Guardian article you posted.

mantidor

I think there's a lot of guess play in the likes you get as well, however their reinforcement is indeed immediate and people assume really easy a "like" is an actual like in the real world.

7threst

Nice post and cool links. I've seen Sherry Turkle talk about that when she promoted het book 'Alone Together' (highly recommended!).

Also, Carl Sandler, the guy behind the Mister app and the Daddyhunt websites wrote a piece for the Huffington Post which I think is pretty cool: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/carl-sandler/gay-dating-apps_b_3248524.html

I think that understanding is generally right, but could be more nuanced. Turkle talks a lot about the type of social interaction that happens on sites like Facebook. Ultimately, even a good conversation with someone online is going to be less involving (and so fulfilling) than meeting with someone face-to-face, and yet FB engenders us to even shallower, proxy interactions simply by "Liking" a status, comment or photo. The problem is that people end up using the latter in place of the former, rather than using FB as a means to deeper interaction in real life.

I guess FB and Grindr may differ inasmuch as the latter's purpose is entirely to facilitate real-life meeting (be it as a one night stand, towards a relationship, or just as friends), but it wouldn't surprise me if the anxiety that FB can trigger can also be triggered through apps such as Grindr.

Has anyone on here experienced the problem that Turkle identifies?

Never used them but I can see where the article is going with this. We humans are social creatures. We need actual physical contact and words on a screen can't do that. The biggest irony of this technological age is that so called "Social Media" is anything but social. It's why Gaf gets constant depression/lonely threads.

There are several other apps like Grindr, one is Scruff which I occasionally use (on Android, not sure if it's on iOS). It actually has more features compared to Grindr, especially the free versions, but for some reason I tend to use it a lot less often.

There's another called GROWLr, which is specific for bears and bear lovers.

7threst

There are several other apps like Grindr, one is Scruff which I occasionally use (on Android, not sure if it's on iOS). It actually has more features compared to Grindr, especially the free versions, but for some reason I tend to use it a lot less often.

There's another called GROWLr, which is specific for bears and bear lovers.

Cool! Is that on Android? I need it.. :)

We have a new warrior in our gay agenda, you guys.

tumblr_mqx9mv5QFF1s8ghqso1_500.gif

Raven Symone

Speaking of gay actors, this popped up on reddit:

I will not reveal who I've worked with or what I've starred in obviously, as I don't want to be identified. I love my career, and I know I would lose my leading man status if I ever came out. I feel terribly guilty about many different things.

First of all, I feel like I'm misleading my fans. I know a lot of women watch my movies to watch me, and part of that is fantasy, and I feel like it's all based on a lie. They do a lot market analysis in Hollywood. I get told about which demographics I do well with, and I feel like I'm misleading so many people, or letting them down.

I am dating another well known personality, and we've been publicly together for a while now. I know she expects to get married, the press expect us to get married, but of course this would be a great disservice to her. Truth be told I think she knows. She is a wonderful woman and a wonderful person and I don't deserve someone as loving and trusting in my life, and I truly do love her, but I'm not in love with her, and sex with her, despite her beauty, is difficult for me.

I also feel terribly guilty because I know there are so many gay kids out there and I feel like by not coming out, and not providing that public display of being gay and being successful I'm letting them down. Public figures like Ellen DeGeneres coming out when I was younger made a huge difference to me, and I feel like I should be paying it forward, but I'm too afraid of my whole life being ruined.

I've only told a few people. I've been with two men since my career has started. Both have been, thankfully, very discrete. My two best friends from before I became mainstream know, and have been supportive. I've told two gay actors who have come out because I trusted they would keep it to themselves, having been in the same position. They were comforting and told me to do what I needed to do, but it didn't assuage my guilt at all. I tested the water with my agent, who basically told me "F***** don't make it in this town," and then went on to basically explain that he would never represent a gay man because the effort versus the money just makes it not worth it to him. It frankly terrifies me. I just wanted to get it out there.

Poor guy :(

Link to thread/comments

My money's on Taylor Lauhtner. He said his movies are targeted at women and those Twilight turds are entirely marketed towards teenage girls.

Taylor is a leading man, of sorts. He has played leading roles in movies, despite the fact that they suck, its still leading role. Not defending his films but it is true.

His career would be kinda done if he came out I think... hes got only one demographic.

gerg

That reddit post wouldn't surprise me if it were real. Rupert Everett said coming out was the worst thing he did career-wise.

Personal hygiene...bewarw
Ugh I have what I thought was a cyst or
ingrown hair in my crotch. From what im reading its an abscess/boil. Ouchies (in before karma!) I'm a really hairy guy and I shaved the nether region recently. It's been ver. hot lately so I sweated and that is probably how it got infected. The area is very red and painful and its warm so that means its.an abscess

I guess I just need to put a hot towel on the area? I use to get bad ones on the back of my leg when I use to sit at the computer all day but they usually went away quickly.

Ughhh.

Who do you think is the gay actor...Taylor Lautner is my guess too lol.

mantidor

What "leading man" status actor would know what reddit is much less make a confession there? smells fake.

Well, even then, he says he fears his life would be ruined, but it seems his life already is, forced in marriage, unhappy, I would come out, there's no guarantee it will "get better" of course, but it is guaranteed it will get worse going down the other path.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Pretending that reddit thing is real, it's not Taylor Lautner or (obviously) George Clooney.
Public figures like Ellen DeGeneres coming out when I was younger made a huge difference to me
That would classify the person as someone in their late 20s to early 30s. Lautner was, like, six during the Ellen situation.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Pretending that reddit thing is real, it's not Taylor Lautner or (obviously) George Clooney.

That would classify the person as someone in their late 20s to early 30s. Lautner was, like, six during the Ellen situation.

They also say they've been dating someone famous for a while. I don't think that's true with Lautner, and Clooney called it off with Stacy Keibler a couple weeks ago.

Might be Ryan Gosling.

Good guess. Dating Eva Mendes and talking of proposing.

_Isaac

They also say they've been dating someone famous for a while. I don't think that's true with Lautner, and Clooney called it off with Stacy Keibler a couple weeks ago.

Good guess. Dating Eva Mendes and talking of proposing.

I almost feel bad that we're guessing, but it's all so interesting. I feel especially bad for the woman he's with. He's just leading her on letting her believe they'll end up getting married, when he knows that's far from the truth.

daripad

Hi guys, how are you doing?

Finally my ban was lifted :p And school starts soon for me, I'm too excited, so I've been studying a little to get started. Also I've been playing through both SMTIV and FE Awakening, they're too much fun. And finishing The Hobbit, it is my first time reading it.

Nothing socially unfortunately, just lots of people complimenting me about my weight loss. Oh, and I will try going to swimming classes again, hopig that this time I'll be more frequent after my failed attempt last semester.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom