• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBThread |OT4| We're (still) Here! We're (still) Queer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mantidor

And potential problems bisexual people could have are different as well, but we're still included. Asexual people are just as important.

I disagree there, potential problems of bisexual people in the workplace are almost exactly the same gay people could have. Asexuality is another world entirely.

Just for starters, whether you are gay or bi talking about your relationships could be encouraged, everyone talks about their wives, husbands or boyfriends at work. On the other hand that could be bothersome for someone asexual.

Caladrius

I don't like Gaming side as much as I used to anymore because when threads trying to discuss things in the gaming industry are made, a bunch of posters just dismiss it by saying "I just wanna pley gaemz!!"

Why engage in critical self-reflection when you can live in nihilistic egocentrism?

Who gives a shit / nope / who even owns a Wii U?

I do not have a Wii-U o__o. I actually don't even have any of the newer generation systems yet.. I'm saving up for a PS4, tho :O.

I also wanna start FFXIV in the next week or so but I don't wanna be completely alone/lost! LOL

Well, firstly, well done! Secondly, arguably the best thing to do would be to treat them as you would any other person~ In a respectful fashion, nay? One has decided to quit some jobs due to... Well, homophobia.

Otherwise, let the existing employees know of the new employee and that they should treat said employee like any new employee. If there are any objections, well... Hm. Best be honest with the employee on that regard.

(Sorry if I wasn't exactly helpful. :c)
No that was definitely helpful!

I should have clarified though. I meant to say Employee Resource Group, not just a single employee...

But I appreciate the input for sure!

Nohar

Hello LGBT Gaf, I haven't posted here in a while so just stopping by to say hello!

Oh, I also have a boyfriend now and he is the big sexy bear I've wanted for a long time.

I am so jealous of you right now :'( I want my muscle bear, and to become a muscle bear myself... Yeah, I still have a long road ahead of me for that (and I'm not really hairy... Oh well), but at least I'm no longer my 112 lbs twink self anymore. I guess I really should visit the Fitness thread and ask for advices.

Zelda series really has become stale as fuck no longer do I get excited for it.

Well, yes and no. Depends on what you mean when you say "stale". Yes, they still apply the same formula for all Zelda games, but why shouldn't they? It works, and the games remain enjoyable (though I'd rather forget about Phantom Hourglass...). Zelda games don't feel like just copies of eachother, at least to me.
ALBW was fun, though I think this game missed a little je-ne-sais-quoi. Still a very enjoyable Zelda game.
Skyward Sword wasn't bad, though this game was plagued with some questionable gameplay decisions (that swimming for music notes? Never again).

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
What did you say?
iwPaVvFYkegID.gif

Christopher

Let me clarify I've been playing Zelda since I was a wee lad. I started with the first man for a kid that game seems so expansive and extraordinary at the time for what was available.

Zelda 2 was so different but still kid of exciting it was at a time where you created the mythos and world with your imagination as a kid and wanted to see more of the zelda world. However as a child the extreme difficulty was a real downfall and I never played after about 2 dungeons.

Link to the Past at the time was so groundbreaking. The Zelda formula where it stands today is derived from this game. Nothing like this was ever seen before. I truly remember getting frustrated that I couldn't find the damb flute as a kid.

Ocarina of Time and Majoras Mask are probably some of the best games ever made ever. The music art style characters music everything was so perfect in these games. I love how majoras mask just took everything about zelda and threw it out the window. The music also made these games amazing. People talk about nostalgia however I cab still enjoy these games googles off.

Wind waker while fun was just missing something that made it seem not as substancial as the other games. I think the artstyle took away from se of the serious moments althoh the ending was amazing.

Twilight Princess was the dryest dullest and most boring Zelda game I've ever played. As a huge fan this was the biggest let down in my opinion. The music characters narrative and gameplay were all so paint by numbers offering nothing new or innovate at all. Biggest dissapointment ever.

Didn't bother with skyward sword.

Link between worlds was a fresh breathe of air for this series however the series needs more tic tics because while the game was fresh is still felt a bit stale with a world we already visited.

Let's see what they can come up with I just think something new would get me going again. A new Zelda game with better graphics ain't gonna cut it. Mario Kart 8 seems like the same with new graphics I'll def snag it at 30 bucks though.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
A lot of people its a popular zelda/yes/ I am obligated because mario kart and smsh

3D is a gimmick / It's barely an improvement over the original / Nintendo has you by the balls

That's why a Pokemon remake is better than Zelda remakes :p

They're equally pointless

Agreed. (haven't played ALWB yet) Almost every "innovation" from the last few console games needs to be taken out back and shot. Aonuma needs to give the franchise to another team (Tokyo EAD).

Isn't SS a bad game?

YES

Replicant

Never played Zelda except the original SNES one but I thought it's one of the least milked-to-dry franchises from Nintendo. I guess I'm wrong after looking at that list Chris put out.

RM8

This Pokémon remake (the 3rd Pokémon remake so far, talk about overkill!) is likely to outsell most of your favorite games ;D

RM8

I don't like Zelda, to be honest. I enjoyed ALTTP and ALBW, but 3D Zelda usually fails to grab my attention. Heck, before ALBW my favorite Zelda game was 3D Dot Game Heroes :p

Marcel

Groose is abhorrent and exemplary of everything wrong with modern Zeldas.

I thought the dungeon item = key style of design was a bigger problem of modern Zelda than the dumb oaf you're supposed to laugh at. He never really bothered me but then again I don't actively dislike Tingle either so what do I know, haha.

Replicant

It's a ~30 year old series.

If anything there aren't enough games.

I disagree. I think after 5, maybe 6 iterations, it's time to move on to a new franchise. Keep repeating them over and over again for 30 years isn't doing any franchise a favor and it's exactly what get Nintendo into their present situation. I think what they've done to Zelda is enough. There's no need to make the market sick of the series like they've done with Mario et all. The same can be said to any series, including Collar Duty. The only exception to this is Final Fantasy because the only thing remains similar with that is the name. The gameplay, characters, story, etc change with every number.

RM8

I disagree. I think franchises should keep existing and capturing new markets for upcoming generations, if people keep being interested in them. It's easy to point and Mario and say "old franchise, kill it", when we never hear the same for non-gaming franchises like Batman (75 years old, tons of movies, comics, games, etc.), Spider-Man (52 years old), X-Men (51 years old), Mickey Mouse (86 years old), etc.

Plus Mario is not in some kind of poor situation right now, Mario still sells a lot - better than most new IPs out there. Some perspective, comparing a GAF favorite new IP: Mario Kart 7, Super Mario 3D Land and New Super Mario Bros. 2 have individually outsold The Last of Us.

I have been asked if I would be interested in helping start up an LGBTA employee resource group here at work. I have a phone call tomorrow with company HR to discuss how to get that implemented.

Anyone here have any experience with doing something along those lines? Any advice on pitfalls/problems that bubble up? Anything I should keep in mind throughout the process?
Hi. :)

Basically, you need to put in the effort to make it clear that the group is for bi, pan, trans, non-binary, ace, intersex, queer, non-labelled people as much as it is for gays and lesbians. These people are less likely to feel comfortable going to groups than gays and lesbians, despite research showing a need for support (such as lower mental health outcomes).

This means things like:
  • Try to get a diverse group to help lead it or at least advise, to catch mistakes.
  • Get resources for the whole community, eg about trans discrimination law where you are.
  • Get a leader who is good for the whole community, for example not biphobic.
  • If you mean the whole community, don't say "gay" or "gay and lesbian". Better examples are 'Queer community', you used 'LGBTA' and it and LGBT/LGBTIQA and others are good.
  • Be clear about homophobia/biphobia/transphobia not being accepted. These things appear in queer groups too. And 'homophobia' is leaky as an umbrella term for those three.
  • Have private groups for people more comfortable with that (bis for example are much less likely to be out at work than gays and lesbians), perhaps there could be an online group aspect.

There have been reports on biphobia in workplaces specifically.
http://www.stonewall.org.uk/documents/bisexual_people_in_the_workplace.pdf
http://www.open.ac.uk/ccig/files/ccig/The BisexualityReport Feb.2012.pdf
https://www.unison.org.uk/upload/sh...cedures/Bisexuality - a trade union issue.pdf

And I'll leave these two articles, with facts and tips for being more inclusive to bis:
Stonewall's latest Workplace Equality Index showed that bisexual women are eight times less likely to be open with colleagues than lesbians and seven times less likely to be open with their manager. The figures are even more discouraging for bisexual men, who are 10 times less likely to be open about their sexual orientation with colleagues than gay men and six times less likely to be open with their manager.
http://careers.theguardian.com/careers-blog/busting-myths-bisexuals-in-the-workplace

Part of the challenge for employers is that while they may have established an LGBT employee network, this may not be enough to reach out and engage with bisexual employees. Stonewall's research also found that bisexual men and women often feel excluded from LGBT employee networks, as these are perceived to primarily cater for lesbians and gay men, with little participation by bisexual employees or focus on bisexual issues.

These findings are echoed by Marcus Morgan from The Bisexual Index, who stresses that while existing employment law offers protection for bisexuals, the problem is implementation. "Most workplace LGBT networks are primarily lesbian and gay networks," he says. "Bisexual people have reported being made to feel unwelcome if they bring opposite sex partners to supposedly inclusive events."

[...]
"We know that people perform better at work when they can be themselves," says Ruth Hunt, Stonewall's director of public affairs. "But for many bisexual people this is impossible. Employers need to learn that generic messages targeted at gay and lesbian people don't necessarily resonate with bisexuals."
http://careers.theguardian.com/bisexuality-in-workplace-lgbt-networks?guni=Article:in body link

And this below isn't advice, but personal experience not directed specifically to Skiptastic
The reaction I got at work when I said I was bisexual (I corrected an assumption) was worse than when they thought I said I was gay (I mentioned having come out, they went on to talk about it like I am exclusively homosexual). When they thought I said I was gay, it was a warm response and one person talked about her daughter being in a same-sex relationship. A year later, when her daughter was having a baby with her female partner, she said that maybe I could be next, something about finding a hunky man. When I said that I'm actually bisexual, SHE FUCKING ROLLED HER EYES and tried to recover by saying maybe I could find a "hunky woman".

About asexuality, a few years ago my sister was been refused service at a clothing store, staffed by people she went to high school with a couple of years earlier since she had disclosed when asked in high shool that she wasn't sexually interested in anyone. They asked in high school which boys she liked, she said none. They assumed she liked girls, she said no, she wasn't interested in anyone like that. When she was refused service, one of them saying to the other, don't serve her, she's a lesbian. It would be incomplete to say this was homophobia alone as it was based on ignorance about asexuality's validity at its base.

Hi. :)

Basically, you need to put in the effort to make it clear that the group is for bi, pan, trans, non-binary, ace, intersex, queer, non-labelled people as much as it is for gays and lesbians. These people are less likely to feel comfortable going to groups than gays and lesbians, despite research showing a need for support (such as lower mental health outcomes).

This means things like:
  • Try to get a diverse group to help lead it or at least advise, to catch mistakes.
  • Get resources for the whole community, eg about trans discrimination law where you are.
  • Get a leader who is good for the whole community, for example not biphobic.
  • If you mean the whole community, don't say "gay" or "gay and lesbian". Better examples are 'Queer community', you used 'LGBTA' and it and LGBT/LGBTIQA and others are good.
  • Be clear about homophobia/biphobia/transphobia not being accepted. These things appear in queer groups too. And 'homophobia' is leaky as an umbrella term for those three.
  • Have private groups for people more comfortable with that (bis for example are much less likely to be out at work than gays and lesbians), perhaps there could be an online group aspect.

There have been reports on biphobia in workplaces specifically.
http://www.stonewall.org.uk/documents/bisexual_people_in_the_workplace.pdf
http://www.open.ac.uk/ccig/files/ccig/The BisexualityReport Feb.2012.pdf
https://www.unison.org.uk/upload/sh...cedures/Bisexuality - a trade union issue.pdf

And I'll leave these two articles, with facts and tips for being more inclusive to bis:

http://careers.theguardian.com/careers-blog/busting-myths-bisexuals-in-the-workplace

http://careers.theguardian.com/bisexuality-in-workplace-lgbt-networks?guni=Article:in body link

And this below isn't advice, but personal experience not directed specifically to Skiptastic
The reaction I got at work when I said I was bisexual (I corrected an assumption) was worse than when they thought I said I was gay (I mentioned having come out, they went on to talk about it like I am exclusively homosexual). When they thought I said I was gay, it was a warm response and one person talked about her daughter being in a same-sex relationship. A year later, when her daughter was having a baby with her female partner, she said that maybe I could be next, something about finding a hunky man. When I said that I'm actually bisexual, SHE FUCKING ROLLED HER EYES and tried to recover by saying maybe I could find a "hunky woman".

About asexuality, a few years ago my sister was been refused service at a clothing store, staffed by people she went to high school with a couple of years earlier since she had disclosed when asked in high shool that she wasn't sexually interested in anyone. They asked in high school which boys she liked, she said none. They assumed she liked girls, she said no, she wasn't interested in anyone like that. When she was refused service, one of them saying to the other, don't serve her, she's a lesbian. It would be incomplete to say this was homophobia alone as it was based on ignorance about asexuality's validity at its base.
Wow! I am about to hit the hay but that is a plethora of great resources and things to think about! I will definitely read up first thing tomorrow morning and be much better prepared for my meeting tomorrow! Thank you very much!

Caladrius

Groose is abhorrent and exemplary of everything wrong with modern Zeldas.

Groose is one of the best developed Zelda characters

More importantly what's actually wrong with newer Zelda games is bad pacing.

One of the things ALTTP and OOT got right (I'd say The Wind Waker as well but that's contingent on how much you like/dislike the boating) is that there are medium-length (only occasionally exceeding 90 minutes) segments that are fairly straightforward before actually getting into the meat of the game, which are the dungeons. You've got a proper breather-buildup-climax cycle that gives the games a better feeling of variety.

The newer games tend to have 2-4 hour breaks between the dungeons where there's a constant stream of environmental puzzles and meandering, which completely screws with that and makes it feel like a giant slog.

Think of Brickwalled music production in video game form.

mantidor

I disagree. I think after 5, maybe 6 iterations, it's time to move on to a new franchise. Keep repeating them over and over again for 30 years isn't doing any franchise a favor and it's exactly what get Nintendo into their present situation. I think what they've done to Zelda is enough. There's no need to make the market sick of the series like they've done with Mario et all. The same can be said to any series, including Collar Duty. The only exception to this is Final Fantasy because the only thing remains similar with that is the name. The gameplay, characters, story, etc change with every number.

How can you say that when you have only played one game?

Because IME, I get bored with anything that's gone beyond 3-4 iterations. For example, I love Dead Space but even I'd say that the 3rd game wasn't needed after the first 2.
It's easy to say that because, aside from the weapon crafting system (which was awesome), DS3 was a steaming pile of shit.

Caladrius

Just because he's less of an ass later in the game doesn't mean he's an especially well-developed character. You know who'd be great in Zelda again? Midna!

He isn't an ass at all at the end of the game though.

He starts the game as a callous, cowardly egomaniac that earns his reputation by posturing and bullying people.

By the end of the game he's a level-headed, dependable person that's willing to do whatever he can to help the people around him and actually respects people that prove themselves capable. The whole game is him getting repeatedly humbled and learning to accept he can't be the hero of the story, but still capable of doing good when he puts his heart into it, as opposed to at the beginning where he's a brutish dick to cover his inadequacy.

I don't want to spoil any endgame stuff for either TP or SS, but Groose is still an egomaniac at the end (The Legend of Groose?) but Midna.. she's.. I really would like to see her again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom