• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBTQIA Thread |OT5| Can't even drink straight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crayons

Banned
Did I tell you Gays that I'm going to be able to move to the college dorms in one year? I'm so happy that I'm going to be able to get away from all this. I still need to come out to my Dad and the rest of my family.. But if things go bad I won't worry since they're not paying for anything. Yaaaasss

just be careful!

I'm the first in my family to dorm for college and since I have the freedom to do whatever I want since my parents aren't around I'm pretty sure I became a wild child.

Again, its not racism. Saying you find a certain race sexually attractive at the exclusion of others is not racism for the simple fact you are stating a personal preference. Its not based on any valuation of the races (whites are better so I will choose to date them) as being intrinsically better or worse than any other.

In this particular context, i.e. I don't want to end up turning this into a semantics debate because nobody wins when you have to start busting out definitions to prove your point, exclusion and valuation are flip sides of the same coin. By establishing a normality and then classifying people as being outside of this normality (exclusion), you're establishing an ideal or above-average value as opposed to "outsiders" or "abnormals" that are lower than this value. Obviously valuation and inclusion / exclusion are natural parts of life for a variety of circumstances, but applying this to entire races is *extremely* short-sighted.

Can't imagine not finding a race attractive. My taste in men is pretty wide I guess.

I'm sad that I missed out on the dorm experience during college. I lived at home for the first year or so, then I moved into an apartment with my best friend.. that was fun, but I don't think it's the exact same experience as in a dorm setting.
It's not, but dorm life can be really hit and miss. Early in college I never clicked or fit in which made dorm life miserable. Once I got on a floor with other geeks, though, it was amazing fun. Keeping your doors open so people wander in and hang out led to a lot of fun.

The amount of dumb shit we pulled was staggering.

Again, its not racism. Saying you find a certain race sexually attractive at the exclusion of others is not racism for the simple fact you are stating a personal preference. Its not based on any valuation of the races (whites are better so I will choose to date them) as being intrinsically better or worse than any other.

it's at best egotistical and at worse racism for heterosexual couples. Which is why you'd see so many couples that look like they could be brother and sister and produce children that look like under developed clones

DOWN

Banned
DriveClub looks like heaven now.

15973009061_61b1a4f2e4_o.jpg

15355368843_d1b0a986ba_o.jpg

15974977725_525229d403_o.jpg

15789261167_47177168f3_o.jpg

HylianTom

Banned
Can't imagine not finding a race attractive. My taste in men is pretty wide I guess.

It's not, but dorm life can be really hit and miss. Early in college I never clicked or fit in which made dorm life miserable. Once I got on a floor with other geeks, though, it was amazing fun. Keeping your doors open so people wander in and hang out led to a lot of fun.

There are all sorts of yummy men, in all flavors.. a rainbow! My tastes might shift from time to time, but good-lookin' is good-lookin'.

I lived in a dorm for one year. By the second semester, I was sleeping off-campus (but still had my dorm room). :p

Kevyt

DriveClub looks like heaven now.

Have you played it with the new update? I wonder how's performance like, and if there's any difference. I would imagine that all of those particle effects (snow, rain) and dynamic weather would have a negative impact on performance (stuttering, frame pacing).

Vazduh

Don't be sorry, duder. No need to be. Just explaining my different outlook is all.

As for your question, I don't really know how to answer that. He means a lot to me. I care about him and his well-being, in a way that's... different from most friends. From even my best straight friend. I don't know what that means or how to deal with it though. How do you stop feeling something without losing the close friendship?

I don't know that he's the one, or that he'd be good for me. Maybe not. But my heart has never listened to my brain before.

I can relate to what you've said because up until recently I was very much into one of my friends. Not saying I'm not attracted to him anymore because I am, but I've managed to rationalize that attraction in the sense that I've managed to acknowledge nothing will probably happen between the two of us. It's finally settled in. It sucks because he's an amazing guy in every way, but it's better than pining over him.

The worst thing about being friends with someone you're in love with is being hurt or jealous every time that person ends up with someone else. In theory you could wait until he ends up with you, or you could work on sorting out your feelings, that is, try to openly acknowledge to yourself that there is a chance you won't end up together. Especially if he doesn't see you in a romantic way at all.

It's a tough and complicated situation you're in. If you see him often, it will be hard to "detach" from him. But the worst thing is that by staying close to him and thinking of him only, you're also giving yourself less chance to eventually fall in love with somebody else. Whatever you do, it won't be easy and I wish you the best of luck.

DOWN

Banned
any word on that ps+ version or somethin? :p

I'd expect it is coming soon, like in the first couple of months of 2015 because all of the features work and there aren't connection issues.

i haven't had the chance to try out the new update with weather. how awesome is it?

It's so stunning and has a fun Project Gotham Racing vibe. They went all out with it. Look at the water affected by turning:

Best weather in any game.

mzeeim.gif

ahcbuh.gif

Have you played it with the new update? I wonder how's performance like, and if there's any difference. I would imagine that all of those particle effects (snow, rain) and dynamic weather would have a negative impact on performance (stuttering, frame pacing).

Yeah, those shots are mine. And it runs perfectly smooth as it did before. It's amazing.

I'm so un-racist in my sexual preferences that I make the rest of you look like white supremacists. Until you have slept with or sucked a man of every color and creed you are all guilty of being racist and cannot claim otherwise.

Kevyt

I'd expect it is coming soon, like in the first couple of months of 2015 because all of the features work and there aren't connection issues.

It's so stunning and has a fun Project Gotham Racing vibe. They went all out with it. Look at the water affected by turning:

Yeah, those shots are mine. And it runs perfectly smooth as it did before. It's amazing.

Simply amazing. Too bad I don't have my PS4 anymore.

I'm so un-racist in my sexual preferences that I make the rest of you look like white supremacists. Until you have slept with or sucked a man of every color and creed you are all guilty of being racist and cannot claim otherwise.

Challenge accepted.

daripad

That's a nice challenge. Though I haven't done that to any single guy lol

DOWN

Banned
Yes it is. You are saying that people of a certain ethnicity are "being intrinsically better or worse" at being physically attractive as a inherent part of their ethnicity. That is putting a valuation on ethnicity not just stating a preference.

This is like saying that people who say they aren't attracted to straight hair are claiming that straight hair is intrinsically incapable of being attractive. That's not what people are saying. It's pretty clear when someone is stating a preference and it doesn't mean they are claiming no one can be attracted to other traits or races due to inferiority of those traits, just because they personally aren't attracted to it.

It sounds a bit whack to suggest that someone who says they only like black men is saying that all other races are 'intrinsically worse at being physically attractive.' That's just irrational. It's clear that when someone states a racial or ethnic preference, they are referring to their attraction to the commonly associated physical features of that group. Not supposedly claiming that if you don't have those features, no one, despite different preferences, can find you as attractive.

You're absolutely allowed to have preferences, for example wanting someone with red hair or freckles or glasses or even being tan, but the second you actually tie those qualities to a race, positively or negatively, it's absolutely racially-charged and by extension racism.

But races and ethnicities do have traits commonly associated with or possessed by people of those groups and it isn't racist to prefer those features. That's not claiming that the ones you don't generally find attractive are incapable of being attractive to anyone else due to inferiority, which would be racist.

That sounds really fun - like having a floor full of other geeks/nerds and just hanging out all the time, lol. Oh well.

---

So is Driveclub any good now? My brother is a big fan of racing games (in particular sim racers) - would he like this game as a Christmas present? Also, it's weird to me they had to add an update to the game that gave it weather lol.

DOWN

Banned
So is Driveclub any good now? My brother is a big fan of racing games (in particular sim racers) - would he like this game as a Christmas present? Also, it's weird to me they had to add an update to the game that gave it weather lol.

They planned for weather to be a free update post-launch all along. They'd been saying it since they revealed it, so it wasn't because of the other launch issues or anything.

Personally, I think the game is now worthy of recommendation. The features work, and they're sexy as hell to look at.

They planned for weather to be a free update post-launch all along. They'd been saying it since they revealed it, so it wasn't because of the other launch issues or anything.

Personally, I think the game is now worthy of recommendation. The features work, and they're sexy as hell to look at.

Yeah, I guess I just usually see "weather" as something games either have or they don't when they launch. Cool they added it in (you'd think it would have been in the base game though).

I do have to admit, the game looks crazy stunning. If it's fun to play, my brother would probably like it. Is it more of an arcade or sim racer? Or a mixture?

DOWN

Banned
Yeah, I guess I just usually see "weather" as something games either have or they don't when they launch. Cool they added it in (you'd think it would have been in the base game though).

I do have to admit, the game looks crazy stunning. If it's fun to play, my brother would probably like it. Is it more of an arcade or sim racer? Or a mixture?

Insanely detailed arcade racer.

Kevyt

This is like saying that people who say they aren't attracted to straight hair are claiming that straight hair is intrinsically incapable of being attractive. That's not what people are saying. It's pretty clear when someone is stating a preference and it doesn't mean they are claiming no one can be attracted to this trait or race due to inferiority of those traits, just because they personally aren't attracted to it.

It sounds a bit whack to suggest that someone who says they only like black men is saying that all other races are 'intrinsically worse at being physically attractive.' That's just irrational. It's clear that when someone states a racial or ethnic preference, they are referring to their attraction to the commonly associated physical features of that group. Not supposedly claiming that if you don't have those features, no one, despite different preferences, can find you as attractive.

But races and ethnicities do have traits commonly associated with or possessed by people of those groups and it isn't racist to prefer those features
. That's not claiming that the ones you don't generally find attractive are incapable of being attractive to anyone else due to inferiority, which would be racist.

Then wouldn't that just be about physical characteristics rather than race or ethnicity? For example some white people are redheads, and that's a physical characteristic. But red hair isn't exclusive to white people. Some people have colored eyes (blue, green, grey, etc...) But just the other time I saw a black guy with hazel eyes. I have seen black guys an girls with colored eyes, and that's their natural eye color (not contacts). This I suspect is the product of humanity being diverse, and all of us are mixed one way or another. To a certain extent, race becomes irrelevant, when there are blonde blue eyed Iranians and Cuban Americans. At this point it would be better to say I "prefer (insert desired physical characteristics/traits) kind of guys - Rather than saying I prefer (insert race of choice) guys. It seems like attributing physical characteristics to a certain ethnic/racial group is denying the diversity and physical variations from said group.

Edit: kind of similar to what Subzero said:

That's pretty much the very definition of racism. Aesthetic preferences are one thing, but specifically tying preferences to "inherent" racial qualities is definitely racist on some level.

(snip)

You're absolutely allowed to have preferences, for example wanting someone with red hair or freckles or glasses or even being tan, but the second you actually tie those qualities to a race, positively or negatively, it's absolutely racially-charged and by extension racism.

So uh... this is a difficult topic to discuss.

Kater

Banned
Did you have a Persian person yet? Or an Indian? How about Egypt, did you bang anyone from there, huh, huh?

I don't think it's all that much of a deal to have preferences, even skin colour, culture or religion. It's just a bit shallow in my eyes, not really racist (unless the person with said preferences is a known racist of course).

I personally can possibly be with anyone, if it fits it fits.

Does that make sense? I'm a bit drunk on wine so I may talk nonsense right now.

Mr_Zombie

I'm sad that I missed out on the dorm experience during college. I lived at home for the first year or so, then I moved into an apartment with my best friend.. that was fun, but I don't think it's the exact same experience as in a dorm setting.

Yeah, I missed out on it too. My university was about 15-20 minutes by bus from my home, so there was no point in me living in a dorm or renting an apartment. But now, when I hear all the stories (about good and bad experiences) from workmates and former classmates, I just feel like I haven't fully lived through my university years :/

Until you have slept with or sucked a man of every color and creed you are all guilty of being racist and cannot claim otherwise.

And what if I haven't slept or sucked any man - no matter the color? Am I still being racist? :p

Kater

Banned
From the Nintendo World store, best Pokemon plushie ever IMO
That's the Starter Pokemon (I chose on my second playthrough of Pokemon X).

I first chose very poorly and got Chespin as my first PokeBuddy but Chespin is just so much more adorable, plus his third evolution as Chesnaught is just so powerful.

That plushie is really adorable too. =)

That's pretty much the very definition of racism. Aesthetic preferences are one thing, but specifically tying preferences to "inherent" racial qualities is definitely racist on some level. Example:

1. "I don't like girls with frizzy hair." Not racist.

2. "I don't like black girls." Definitely racist.

3. "I don't like black girls because of their frizzy hair." May not be worth grabbing the torches and pitchforks for, but it is still racist by a baseline standard.

For one, not only are you making assumptions about an entire race and likely tying projection and personal experience to it unnecessarily, but you're also using small numbers of people as spokespeople or representatives for an entire race, aka stereotyping. Even if you may not consider it offensive or derogatory or whatever in the way that actively subjugating someone to prejudice because of race is, it's absolutely a racist thing to do, even if subtle. "I normally don't like spanish guys, but you're pretty cute," "you're so polite for a Scotsman," "this is the longest I've ever been with a black guy," etc. are all no-nos. You're absolutely allowed to have preferences, for example wanting someone with red hair or freckles or glasses or even being tan, but the second you actually tie those qualities to a race, positively or negatively, it's absolutely racially-charged and by extension racism.

http://i.imgur.com/5cKuoT2.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

I'll just call it generalizing instead of racism. If on a dating site you write [I]"I'm not into redheads"[/I], it doesn't mean that there isn't a redheaded person in the world that you would like. It's just that they're rather rare, and on a dating app/site you try to select and seperate who you're most likely into. Make the search for someone you do like as easy as possible. And that means eliminating the "long shots". You do it both for yourself and for those viewing your profile.

It's shallow as hell, and the selecting can be done with such broad strokes that it is just downright silly, but whatever. We're talking dating profiles here. the vast majority of hook ups are based on looks alone anyway, and I'm of the belief that you don't have much of a control over who and what you find attractive, so "not being into" something (whether it's a skin color, hair color, body type, ...) doens't necessarily mean a judgement on people, other then, well, attractiveness.

Doesn't change the fact that [I]"no xxx plz"[/I] in profiles gives off major douche vibes though.

Captcha

just be careful!

I'm the first in my family to dorm for college and since I have the freedom to do whatever I want since my parents aren't around I'm pretty sure I became a wild child.

I turned into the world's biggest whore. Fly free little bird.

Also, try to be friendly with people and casually out too if you're looking for sex. Word has a way of traveling when you're stuck in a building with hundreds of people.

Maybe I'm weird
I am
, but on the topic of preferences I know I definitely have a bunch of them, but if someone asks me out (like actual date, not, "hey want to blow me in a darkened corner of this club?") I always agree and give them a shot.
It doesn't happen that often, though. I think I need to work on not mean-mugging so much or maybe I'm ugly or both idkbro.

Enzon

From the Nintendo World store, best Pokemon plushie ever IMO

wow that's amazing, i now want a Froakie so bad :(.

Speaking of Nintendo World Store, i'm gonna ask since i don't know a better place to do it on Gaf. Are there any New York gaffers here? I'm staying in New York for January and February by myself (well, with my godmother) and i would love to know some well known gay bars or clubs to hang out sometimes.

Kater

Banned
just be careful!

From what I know, a college is comparable to what we call a "Internat" or "Fachhochschule" here. If that is ture, a friend of mine went to one and it was all about agriculture. They did all kind of crazy stuff in their off-time though, exploding stuff and all that. Reminded me a lot of the stuff you do in "Bully" from Rockstar. 😄

Kevyt

From what I know, a college is comparable to what we call a "Internat" or "Fachhochschule" here. If that is ture, a friend of mine went to one and it was all about agriculture. They did all kind of crazy stuff in their off-time though, exploding stuff and all that. Reminded me a lot of the stuff you do in "Bully" from Rockstar. 😄

You Germans and your long words... I can't imagine how a German spelling bee competition is like. :p

daripad

It shouldn't be too hard for you I guess. Doesn't German have the same roots as languages like Spanish and Italian?

German comes from the romance languages? Oh, I didn't know that.

I tried learning German with duolingo for a couple of months but forget pretty much all of it now. Reminds me to try again, planning to travel there next year.

Yeah, I'll try doing the same too

Kevyt

We spell bee as "Biene" in German. What do you mean with "Spelling bee competition"?

In 'Murica, spelling bee competitions consist of participants spelling words. It's often like an elimination kind of process to determine the winner. From Wikipedia:

A spelling bee is a competition in which contestants are asked to spell a broad selection of words, usually with a varying degree of difficulty.

The only German words I know are from songs. I know this but I think it's wrong:

Hast du etwas zeit fur mich?

KmA

I rarely ever hear people spout "I'm not into whites."

The moment you define your physical attraction by race, you're immediately fetishizing a group of people. And it is most definitely racist.

I had to learn this the hard way. Because of some internalized racist feelings I was harboring, I use to tell people that it was physically impossible for me to be attracted to South Asian guys (South Asian myself). Someone told me to stay in my lane and I learned my lesson and I've seen the light.

The gay community, especially it's hookup community, is ravenously racist. No blacks, no latins, no Asians, no fems (more sexist). These are damaging assertions. Our standards of beauty in general are racist.

And if you're first thought is to weed out people based on things they cannot control, then there is your problem. Try to treat people as human beings.

Kater

Banned
German comes from the romance languages? Oh, I didn't know that.
Well, I don't know, I'm only talking out of my ... here, probably. But there are a lot of words that I recognize from my own language in Italian and Spanish Language.

What I'd do to get a place at some Linguistic class at a university. It's really interesting, teaches you a lot about how stuff that happened in humanities history influenced language.

In 'Murica, spelling bee competitions consist of participants spelling words. It's often elimination based brackets. From Wikipedia:
Oh, so like the contest in Malcolm in the Middle (don't remember the episodes name though).

Crayons

Banned
I always thought you were from a Spanish speaking country.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom