• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBTQIA Thread |OT5| Can't even drink straight

Status
Not open for further replies.

RM8

Is German somewhat close to Latin? Because that might explain some similarities, that are also present between English / Spanish. Other than that I don't think they're related, but we both have gendered nouns and rolling Rs IIRC :p

RM8

Can you record yourself saying "perro" or whatever? Or do you simply use a soft R sound like in "pero"? I'm super curious :0 I don't know anyone (from Mexico) who can't roll Rs. I mean, if you're comfortable with it of course :p

Caladrius

I don't have any strong feelings either way towards dating people outside of my race, though I notice that I tend to gravitate to people within mine. I think it's because I lived in a very homogeneous community (It was like 85% white) up until my teen years, and being sheltered my whole life has kept me out of contact with a more diverse selection of people, so I haven't really immersed myself in multiethnic communities properly.

German comes from the romance languages? Oh, I didn't know that.

It's more like Germanic languages took a lot from the Roman Empire when it was still around, and the Romance languages that were extant after the Romans also took a lot from the Germanic tribes. Cross pollination of linguistic elements in general is very common for geographic neighbors, and Europe was definitely no exception.

Kater

Banned
I always thought you were from a Spanish speaking country.
Because of my nickname? Yeah, that would make sense. No, my nickname is "El_Gato" because I really liked The Simpsons in my teenager years and Bart Simpsons alter ego was El Barto. And I really like cats, or felines in general. Interesting species.

I did some German in school, never really excelled at it though weil es zu schwierig war.
image.php

Na was soll denn das? Nicht schlappmachen, Junge.:p

Is German somewhat close to Latin? Because that might explain some similarities, that are also present between English / Spanish. Other than that I don't think they're related, but we both have gendered nouns and rolling Rs IIRC :p
I think it is very close to latin, yes. We have a lot of latin words in our language. I think that is the link between all the other languages like Spanish, Italina and so on. French not so much, it's a lot different to those those languages.

Kater

Banned
Not my preference, I don't like black shoes. I rather have brown shoes, or blue shoes.

And no high top shoes, either. I wear sneakers all year.

daripad

Can you record yourself saying "perro" or whatever? Or do you simply use a soft R sound like in "pero"? I'm super curious :0 I don't know anyone (from Mexico) who can't roll Rs. I mean, if you're comfortable with it of course :p

Just did it and I pronounced it well. Why the hell did people bullied me for it few years ago, wtf?
It's more like Germanic languages took a lot from the Roman Empire when it was still around, and the Romance languages that were extant after the Romans also took a lot from the Germanic tribes. Cross pollination of linguistic elements in general is very common for geographic neighbors, and Europe was definitely no exception.

Oh, I see, thanks :)

Kevyt

What do you mean by rolling R's? Is that the same sound as with rrrrrr? Like in Perro?

alvmew

I don't have any strong feelings either way towards dating people outside of my race, though I notice that I tend to gravitate to people within mine. I think it's because I lived in a very homogeneous community (It was like 85% white) up until my teen years, and being sheltered my whole life has kept me out of contact with a more diverse selection of people, so I haven't really immersed myself in multiethnic communities properly.

I actually turned out the opposite - from 1st through 12th grade, my classmates were mainly minorities (with Hispanics like myself being the majority, then African Americans), so I ended up with a major thing for white guys and not finding other minority guys as attractive. Of course, that's not to say I would not consider dating/
banging
guys of other races (which I have, yay equal opportunity?), but I would be lying if I didn't say I tend prefer white guys over the others insofar as overall attraction.

I'm not a bad person. ):

What are you pairing them with?
Nothing specific.

Not my preference, I don't like black shoes. I rather have brown shoes, or blue shoes.

And no high top shoes, either. I wear sneakers all year.
Sneakers all year is not possible where I live unless you want to slip on the ice and break your neck. (I also don't care much for sneakers.)

They look Hard Gay.
Mission accomplished. :3

I really like them.
Thanks. :)

Kater

Banned
Sneakers all year is not possible where I live unless you want to slip on the ice and break your neck. (I also don't care much for sneakers.)
Maybe it's just me loving the sort of style I grew up with, don't know. I like sneakers more as a 90s kid. 😎

Kater

Banned
I'm a 90s kid too, but I never liked them much, even as a kid.

I like more funky/"fashionable" stuff.
If that is fashion, I call fashion into question. 😉

Nah, to each his own. It's cool if you find something that you like and if it suits you.

Are you a big fan of Bravely Default, El Gato? :)
Well, some part of it were really great, the art style, the combat system. The world, the map, the story and the dialogue (well, some parts), not so much. I hope they improve on all the parts that I and quite al lot of other people disliked and try to inprove them.

I still wish that alternative Ringabel costume made it into the full game (because I don't want to import stuff from Japan just to get a code for naughty costumes). You probably know what I mean (NSFW, probably).

Well, some part of it were really great, the art style, the combat system. The world, the map, the story and the dialogue (well, some parts), not so much. The pacing of the story wasn't all that good either. I hope they improve on all the parts that I and quite al lot of other people disliked and try to inprove them.

I gotcha. You like Ringabel though? He was probably my favorite character. Edea, too! I agree with your overall comments about the game. I loved the first 4 chapters, and while there were some interesting parts of the story in the last 4, just way too much repetition for my tastes. Loved the battle/job system though. I am looking forward to the sequel. :)

Kater

Banned
I gotcha. You like Ringabel though? He was probably my favorite character. Edea, too! I agree with your overall comments about the game. I loved the first 4 chapters, and while there were some interesting parts of the story in the last 4, just way too much repetition for my tastes. Loved the battle/job system though. I am looking forward to the sequel. :)
I really liked Ringabel and Edea. The only two real characters in the story, in my opinion. Tiz and what's-her-name were just way too boring.

Yeah, I hope for a good sequel too.

Oh, I also really liked the sound track of BD, I forgot to mention that in my post. Really good stuff.

I really liked Ringabel and Edea. The only two real characters in the story, in my opinion. Tiz and what's-her-name were just way too boring.

Yeah, I hope for a good sequel too.

Oh, I also really liked the sound track of BD, I forgot to mention that in my post. Really good stuff.

Yep, agree about Ringabel/Edea being the only two real characters in the story. I sort of liked Agnes initially because she reminded me of Yuna and her "Unacceptable!" thing was funny, but as it went on, she was just boring and somewhat annoying. Tiz was almost a blank slate.

For sure, the soundtrack was fantastic. The game as a whole really reminded me of PS1 FFs - especially FFIX.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I've heard Boom Clap before but I couldn't figure out who the singer was. So that's her... hmm... I like her music! Her music gives a 90's vibe.

Her main inspiration for the album was 90s movies and punk/pop. I like the campy sound most of her tracks have this era.

Golnei

For sure, the soundtrack was fantastic. The game as a whole really reminded me of PS1 FFs - especially FFIX.

The game itself never really managed to interest me; but the soundtrack was definitely impressive. A shame that Bravely Second doesn't seem to equal it in that regard.

I asked in the Men's Fashion OT (twice) but no one answered, so I'll ask here. What do you guys think of these boots?

I can't really give much of an opinion without knowing what you'll be pairing with them, but I quite like them.

Yeah, I missed out on it too. My university was about 15-20 minutes by bus from my home, so there was no point in me living in a dorm or renting an apartment. But now, when I hear all the stories (about good and bad experiences) from workmates and former classmates, I just feel like I haven't fully lived through my university years

I decided to commute due to being fairly close as well - it would have been embarrassingly futile to rent an apartment half an hour away. I don't really feel that I've missed some kind of crucial formative experience yet; though that could just be denial that will eventually give way to all-consuming regret.

If that is fashion, I call fashion into question. 😉

Nah, to each his own. It's cool if you find something that you like and if it suits you.
Well, considering part of my job is fashion styling I always try to look my best.

I do say that the most important thing is to have your own style you're comfortable with.

They look sharp. I would wear them.
Thanks. ❤️

I can't really give much of an opinion without knowing what you'll be pairing with them, but I quite like them.
Thanks. I need another pair of shoes for winter so I don't have to wear my boots everyday. I love my boots but they are a bit of a hassle to pull on and off if I need to go somewhere quickly. I tend to wear slim fitting jeans and chinos, but I have lots of different kinds of pants.

These are my boots...
(Sorry for the bad pic, I'm at work and I'm too lazy to take them off or find a mirror.)

So I want an alternative to these, hence the shoes. I don't know how I feel about the fold down style, so that's why I'm soliciting opinions.

DOWN

Banned
Then wouldn't that just be about physical characteristics rather than race or ethnicity? For example some white people are redheads, and that's a physical characteristic. But red hair isn't exclusive to white people. Some people have colored eyes (blue, green, grey, etc...) But just the other time I saw a black guy with hazel eyes. I have seen black guys an girls with colored eyes, and that's their natural eye color (not contacts). This I suspect is the product of humanity being diverse, and all of us are mixed one way or another. To a certain extent, race becomes irrelevant, when there are blonde blue eyed Iranians and Cuban Americans. At this point it would be better to say I "prefer (insert desired physical characteristics/traits) kind of guys - Rather than saying I prefer (insert race of choice) guys. It seems like attributing physical characteristics to a certain ethnic/racial group is denying the diversity and physical variations from said group.

This sounds like ignoring the fact that there are common feature sets associated with various ethnicities. Mentioning uncommon traits among those groups seems irrelevant since it wouldn't be associated with the ethnic traits of the group. I'm sure just about every eye color or hair color has appeared in just about any ethnic group, but when they are uncommon like the ones you mentioned, the uncommon traits won't throw away every understanding and association of the ethnic groups with their common physical features. That wouldn't make sense.

Then wouldn't that just be about physical characteristics rather than race or ethnicity?

Those aren't mutually exclusive as your wording implies. Quite the opposite. You can tell the difference between an Asian person, black person, Middle Eastern person, white person, etc., based on common physical features. Race and ethnicity do have associations with physical features and appearance. We as people can recognize the distinctions based on the common features of the ethnic group, and that part is okay.

I'm feeling like people aren't maybe sure what racist means. It isn't simply everything that is associated with race, that's for sure.

I never forget these boots.

I can relate to what you've said because up until recently I was very much into one of my friends. Not saying I'm not attracted to him anymore because I am, but I've managed to rationalize that attraction in the sense that I've managed to acknowledge nothing will probably happen between the two of us. It's finally settled in. It sucks because he's an amazing guy in every way, but it's better than pining over him.

The worst thing about being friends with someone you're in love with is being hurt or jealous every time that person ends up with someone else. In theory you could wait until he ends up with you, or you could work on sorting out your feelings, that is, try to openly acknowledge to yourself that there is a chance you won't end up together. Especially if he doesn't see you in a romantic way at all.

It's a tough and complicated situation you're in. If you see him often, it will be hard to "detach" from him. But the worst thing is that by staying close to him and thinking of him only, you're also giving yourself less chance to eventually fall in love with somebody else. Whatever you do, it won't be easy and I wish you the best of luck.
I don't see him often -- he was who I was meeting for the first time this weekend, as he lives in another state. That helps, I suppose. But I dunno. The challenge I guess will be finding the right balance between distance and closeness. I need to protect my heart from hurt but retain his spot in it as a dear friend. I wouldn't give up his friendship for anything.

In the end, I guess all I can do is work through it.

Sorry for the late reply.

red13th

Just got this today and I love it, but it's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too big. Like gigantic.

Just sent them a msg about an exchange, hopefully it's not too painful a process.

I'm weary of buying clothes online because of that :/
I hope they exchange it for you, it looks great

I don't see him often -- he was who I was meeting for the first time this weekend, as he lives in another state. That helps, I suppose. But I dunno. The challenge I guess will be finding the right balance between distance and closeness. I need to protect my heart from hurt but retain his spot in it as a dear friend. I wouldn't give up his friendship for anything.

In the end, I guess all I can do is work through it.

Sorry for the late reply.

Crushing on a friend is seriously the worst. I had very strong feelings for several of my friends in high school, and then especially one of them during college when we shared a room. It was a situation in which distancing myself from him was not really possible considering we lived together (and shared a room no less) which just made it all the harder for me. I was a wreck emotionally because I knew there was no way it would ever happen (he's straight). It's been several years since then and he's still my best friend and I don't really have those intense feelings for him anymore thankfully. I won't say there's still not a little twinge of jealousy or sadness every now and again when I think of how amazing of a person he is (and very attractive lol), but I'm in a much better place now than I was back then.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow

I've been in this exact situation before, to the point where I even moved cross-country in order to have more of a chance at us being together. You're going to struggle with it for a while, no doubt -- all the feelings of "what if we..." and "maybe I could..." but time wears down the rough, complicated edges and, assuming he's also interested in maintaining the friendship, you'll eventually wake up one morning and not be shackled by it (the longing) in the slightest and instead just be happy that you have such a good friend.

In my case, he and I are still close, visit each other on occasion, etc... We're both in relationships of our own now and it's not awkward or painful or unusual for either of us. So yeah, just relax and try to let life take its course. You'll be much more content in the end.

VegiHam

I love the above post. Too often I hear 'oh well you can never be friends it's all doomed cut them out of your life' and I'm like I'm not throwing away valuable relationships just because they become a little complicated, you know?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom