• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBTQIA Thread |OT5| Can't even drink straight

Status
Not open for further replies.
So umm..

I've been called fat about 3 times in the last little while (most recently in Vegas on the weekend) by other guys.

I kept telling myself it wouldn't get under my skin, but I sorta broke down a couple days ago. I don't really know what else to do. I don't really know how all these guys manage to make their bodies look flawless. Am I doing something wrong?

I thought I was coming to terms more with my body, but it's really difficult to now.
I'm sorry for bringing the mood of the thread down, but I really just don't know what else to do.
As gaygaf resident chubby,(we also need to talk about labels later so remind me)let me give you some pointers.

First you are doing nothing wrong. People get that kind of bodies trough hard work and discipline and it seems that you are already on that so keep it going, it's already more than what I do (playing some Kinect game twice a week and calling it exercise is not really what I should be doing)

Self-steem is something that is a continuous process, I don't know where most of the issues come from but if you don't work on it you will never be happy with yourself no matter how thin or muscular or fabulous you get, the pursuit of happiness is a continuously moving goalpost.

So how do you work on it, well the trick I use most is the good old fashion "fake it till you make it" 😂 and the "you can't change the world but you can change your reaction to it" where the "not giving a fuck" is the most frequently used.

VegiHam

If BB is fat then I'm still fat. People used to call me fat all the time when I was. Lost about 60 pounds so far. Technically healthy but don't like how I look so I'm gunna lose another 20 or so. Except some of my friends are telling me I should stop. Probably just cus I look different though. So yeah, don't worry about what other people say; just focus on being happy with yourself*.

Haha sorry that wasn't really relevant but the discussion and that other thread about short guys have me pretty self concious.

obviously not if like everyone you know is saying 'yo dude you have a serious dysmorphic condition seek help' but I mean in general...

hidys

H

Hi hidys! If you don't mind I want to ask you something, since one of my friend is probably asexual and I'm curious to know, asexual still want a relationship right? I wonder, it still make a difference for them if the partner is a guy or a girl right?
Hopefully this question is not too stupid

It's a fine question.

Your question really depends on the person. Basically asexuals can be romantically (not sexually) attracted to people of either, both or no gender at all (Pretty much like everyone else except without the sex bit). Not all asexuals feel romantic attraction but some do (called aromantic).

Me personally I honestly don't know where I fit. I think I might be heteroromantic but I haven't met the right person yet.

Also am I the first asexual here?

scarlet

So umm..

I've been called fat about 3 times in the last little while (most recently in Vegas on the weekend) by other guys.

I kept telling myself it wouldn't get under my skin, but I sorta broke down a couple days ago. I don't really know what else to do. I don't really know how all these guys manage to make their bodies look flawless. Am I doing something wrong?

I thought I was coming to terms more with my body, but it's really difficult to now.
I'm sorry for bringing the mood of the thread down, but I really just don't know what else to do.

You're not fat and this is coming from someone whose been fat.

terrisus

Didn't realize that LGBTQIA was a thing.

So as an asexual I thought I'd say hello now that I'm included!

Completely overlooked your post, sorry!

Hello and welcome, hidys! :D

Oh, hey, that's what that 'A' stands for.
Might've guessed that if I thought on it more, I suppose.

I've had people suggest to me that I'm asexual, but I don't really think I am. I mean, I love snuggling and hugging and stuff (kissing's alright too on occasion). And, I mean, it's not that I don't have sex (although if I was with a partner who didn't have a sex drive either, it might only be a couple of times a year). And, I do find people (especially my wife, of course), sexually attractive. Just, it doesn't really get expressed in "wanting to have sex."

So, I don't really think I'm asexual, but it's probably not too far off I suppose >.>

VegiHam

I've had people suggest to me that I'm asexual, but I don't really think I am. I mean, I love snuggling and hugging and stuff (kissing's alright too on occasion). And, I mean, it's not that I don't have sex (although if I was with a partner who didn't have a sex drive either, it might only be a couple of times a year).

So, I don't really think I'm asexual, but it's probably not too far off I suppose >.>
Um, I'm like way not an expert but is there like a spectrum for this stuff? Like, I'd assume everyone's somewhere on a line from Asexual to Very Sexual. Like the Kinsey Scale! Maybe you're a 1, predominantly Asexual, only incidentally Sexual; but also totally hetroromantic?

...yeah I don't even know maybe this isn't how it works at all and I'm wrong :p

terrisus

Um, I'm like way not an expert but is there like a spectrum for this stuff? Like, I'd assume everyone's somewhere on a line from Asexual to Very Sexual. Like the Kinsey Scale! Maybe you're a 1, predominantly Asexual, only incidentally Sexual; but also totally hetroromantic?

That would make sense, and is quite likely probably.
Never really checked into it in detail.

hidys

I've had people suggest to me that I'm asexual, but I don't really think I am. I mean, I love snuggling and hugging and stuff (kissing's alright too on occasion). And, I mean, it's not that I don't have sex (although if I was with a partner who didn't have a sex drive either, it might only be a couple of times a year). And, I do find people (especially my wife, of course), sexually attractive. Just, it doesn't really get expressed in "wanting to have sex."

I also like that stuff but I still don't feel sexually attracted to anyone of any gender.

I think this is likely. You always hear how high libido some people have or how low some other have. Then what woul you call a person with absolutely zero libido.

Well unless I'm wrong and there's someway to physically measure libido. :p

terrisus

Well I mean if you were thinking of questioning that and having a think about it, you're in the right thread!

I suppose you're right!
I guess things happen for a reason >.>

I also like that stuff but I still don't feel sexually attracted to anyone of any gender.

I do find myself sexually attracted to women (I mean, obviously I just kind of repress that now that I'm married >.>), and for that matter I guess one would say I have pretty low standards (likely a result of no one ever actually wanting a relationship with me, so why would I set up additional barriers when no one wanted me anyway? >.>), and some strange preferences and such.

But, as I said, that feeling doesn't really express itself in terms of "getting an erection and wanting it into a bodily orifice" or something >.>

VegiHam

I suppose you're right!
I guess things happen for a reason >.>
Oh, wait, please don't feel pressured into making yourself uncomfortable just cus you're here, you know? It's OK to want to take this stuff slow.
But I'm sure this thread will help if we can- even if we're not experts.

terrisus

Oh, wait, please don't feel pressured into making yourself uncomfortable just cus you're here, you know? It's OK to want to take this stuff slow.
But I'm sure this thread will help if we can- even if we're not experts.

Oh, no worries, I'm generally pretty open about stuff. I figure my life's pretty boring anyway, it's not like there's too much to get excited or worried over sharing :þ

Kater

Banned
I think we need to come up with some new slang.
People are starting to run all of the cool drag queen/queer slang into the ground.
:p
I don't mind people calling each other "sis'" or whatever else.
As long as they aren't using it to insult others (like how people on the internet or in persona call other people gay with the intent of insulting the opponent with it).

Grizzo

As long as they aren't using it to insult others (like how people on the internet or in persona call other people gay with the intent of insulting the opponent with it).

ha, I think only gay people call each other "sis" though

If BB is fat then I'm still fat. People used to call me fat all the time when I was. Lost about 60 pounds so far. Technically healthy but don't like how I look so I'm gunna lose another 20 or so. Except some of my friends are telling me I should stop. Probably just cus I look different though. So yeah, don't worry about what other people say; just focus on being happy with yourself*.

Haha sorry that wasn't really relevant but the discussion and that other thread about short guys have me pretty self concious.

obviously not if like everyone you know is saying 'yo dude you have a serious dysmorphic condition seek help' but I mean in general...

Congrats! o_o Out of curiosity.. How did you lose all of that weight? o_o

As gaygaf resident chubby,(we also need to talk about labels later so remind me)let me give you some pointers.

First you are doing nothing wrong. People get that kind of bodies trough hard work and discipline and it seems that you are already on that so keep it going, it's already more than what I do (playing some Kinect game twice a week and calling it exercise is not really what I should be doing)

Self-steem is something that is a continuous process, I don't know where most of the issues come from but if you don't work on it you will never be happy with yourself no matter how thin or muscular or fabulous you get, the pursuit of happiness is a continuously moving goalpost.

So how do you work on it, well the trick I use most is the good old fashion "fake it till you make it" 😂 and the "you can't change the world but you can change your reaction to it" where the "not giving a fuck" is the most frequently used.

All of this kind of struck a chord with me.. I'm trying my best to fake it :( But I guess I'm having a pretty epic moment of weakness.

VegiHam

Congrats! o_o Out of curiosity.. How did you lose all of that weight? o_o
Diet and exercise. I lived in catered Uni accommodation for a year so I ate what I was given. And walked 10 miles a day. But it's getting hard to lose anymore so I'm getting discouraged.
Still got too much chest though so gotta work at it.

Hehehe
I like "sis", it's like a word that was stolen from an alternate universe ruled by women and drag queens.
I'm mostly talking about the use of "shade" that I've been seeing everywhere lately...
You can't just throw a word like "shade" around all willy nilly, it'll lose all of it's power...and fabulousness.

Grizzo

Just the short PopGaf? >.>

haha took me like 20 seconds to get it! I was just staring at my screen with my mouth wide open thinking about what I missed.

Nice one!

Hehehe
I like "sis", it's like a word that was stolen from an alternate universe ruled by women and drag queens.
I'm mostly talking about the use of "shade" that I've been seeing everywhere lately...
You can't just throw a word like "shade" around all willy nilly, it'll lose all of it's power and fabulousness.

I like "shade" used in the context of people talking about celebrities, especially on message boards or comment sections. I think it belongs her and nowhere else.

Kater

Banned
well #notallPopGaf
I didn't want to generalize them, just pointed out that there are people on there that are straight and use that jargon. Though it's probably only used there, never see it in other threads on Gaming or in the Off Topic side.

Every time anyone does one of those #notall[whatever], I always parse it as "No Tall" >.>

Never noticed this. Bravo!

I like "shade" used in the context of people talking about celebrities, especially on message boards or comment sections. I think it belongs her and nowhere else.

I think "shade/shady/throwing shade" can be applied to any situation, at any place (IRL or message board), and at anytime if one is describing a gal/guy/queen/person that's being casually blunt and bitchy about someone or something.

Grizzo

I think "shade/shady/throwing shade" can be applied to any situation, at any place (IRL or message board), and at anytime if one is describing a gal/guy/queen/person that's being casually blunt and bitchy about someone or something.

But you just said it's gonna lose its power and fabulousness if people use it all the time (and I do agree with you on that)

This whole stuff with BlueBadger just solidifies how totally unacceptable I find it that people think they have the right to comment on other people's weight.

I had the opposite issue but I think it's just as bad. I went from skinny teenager, to overweight young adult, then I lost the weight and went back to a skinny adult - a weight that I was happy with (and still am)

Yet strangers, people in the workplace and even my friends and family thought it was acceptable to tell me that I was too skinny. (It should be noted that I was a healthy BMI, not underweight).

I complained the office I worked in was cold - and was told that it was my fault for being too skinny.

We have enough unhappiness in this world without bringing each other down over body issues. It makes me mad.

BlueBadger - on a serious note if you ever want diet/gym tips from somebody who feels equally as out of place in a gym as you - then let me know/send me a PM. You shouldn't feel trapped and unhappy when a little guidance could go a long way.

/End Zan's Rant

But you just said it's gonna lose its power and fabulousness if people use it all the time (and I do agree with you on that)

I guess I should rephrase to "if one uses the word for every single dis someone makes it looses it's power and fabulousness".
Like, Nicki Minaj dissing Iggy on stage at the BET awards was shady as hell. It made a lot of sense to describe that moment as "shade", and it was very reminiscent of how drag queens dis each other.

daripad

If BB is fat then I'm morbidly obese lol

Fuck those people who hate other people's body. BB is fine, like too hot IMO, I don't know what kind of people told you that you were fat but they must be perfect PR something because the past thing I'd call you is fat.

This whole stuff with BlueBadger just solidifies how totally unacceptable I find it that people think they have the right to comment on other people's weight.

If BB is fat then I'm morbidly obese lol

Fuck those people who hate other people's body. BB is fine, like too hot IMO, I don't know what kind of people told you that you were fat but they must be perfect PR something because the past thing I'd call you is fat.

Here in Mexico it's also kind of a more complex issue, we don't have enough education to realize how some words can really affect people so we don't think twice when we do it.

Calling people on the street by their most notable physical characteristic, "chaparro, flaco, negro, prieto, güero, moreno, gordo, flaco, orejon, narizon, pelon" just to get their attention is totally acceptable. If you put some terms of endearment you can totally get away doing the same to those closest to you, "mi negrito hermoso, mi gordita alegre", so you see, nothing wrong.

When I used to go to the market in the city when I was a kid, I was the "gordito" that went with "the güerita (my mother)", to every person trying to sell us something. Today is not that bad, you hear more of "amiga, reyna, joven, señor", but it's really no surprise when you hear someone who didn't get the memo.

Now don't get me started on gay slurs, once when I was a young child one of my toes had a small hangnail (is that how you say it? "uña enterrada" ingrown nail?), and my father jokingly said. "well we might have to take you with the "mariconista" and then laughed hard and for a long time, wich made me laugh as well it was something that didn't happen a lot, me laughing with my father and mother at something, but after I while I got it. My dad didn't laugh for mispronouncing "manicurista", but becuase the play on words with "maricon" wich is a still totally acceptable way of talking of gay people and also to the male staff of beauty parlors. I never forgot that. I don't remember exactly how old I was but I knew by then I wasn't "normal".

I went totally off-topic but couldn't stop and now I don't want to erase it. :p the point is there is no question of where a lot of our body image and sexual identity issues come from, we have to learn how to deal with them and perhaps one day overcome them. We have to at least try, if you can't alone try with your friends or with therapy.

Now I feel the need to finish with "It gets better" I tried to avoid it but could not stop. So there.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
see?

Didn't realize that LGBTQIA was a thing.

So as an asexual I thought I'd say hello now that I'm included!

this is what happens when we make the thread title more inclusive - motha fuckin asexuals in da hause

i0bUfM2Oj4jzt.gif

Gah

The guy with the phenomenal ass is sitting in front of me during training and his pants are too low to contain it and I can see everything.

wait so his ass is hanging out of his pants?

yes

I was talking about people that don't like you, not haters.

one in the same

You convinced (for example) straight guys to like you?

yes

You convinced people that don't like your personality to like your personality?

yes

You convinced people that don't like your face to like your face?

yes

You convinced people that don't like your body to like your body?

yes

How did you did that?

i get naked with them and coo words softly into their ears

unless you were joking

whos kidding who now here

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
When it comes to genitalia of the male sort, Ratsky lives in his own fantasy world.

KmA

I'm an emotional wreck right now.

After that thread about that 'coming out' going awry, I was feeling a little exhausted so I decided to leave early from work. I myself have not come out but I have a feeling it would go similarly to how it did in that video so I was a bit on edge after that. This is kind of irrelevant to the story but yeah. Anyways.

I come home from work to relax, mom is out of the house, and my dad walks into my room. I've counted how many times father figure has spoken directly to me this summer. Three. This is not a count of meaningful conversations, this is a count of how many times his words were directed for my ears. Three. I don't want to explain the workings of our relationship but let's just say there are a lot of... cultural barriers.

Considering school starts next week, it's pretty obvious why he's sparing a moment for his dear ol' son. Now these conversations are always the same. He asks if I've done this or have I done that yet. I'm a pretty lazy person so the answer is usually no but it's not like I haven't done anything. So I explain how this semester is going to go and then he starts prying a little more. Eventually, the conversation always boils down to him just listing my shortcomings. I hate these conversations so much, I'm visibly angry every single time, yet the routine never changes. Either he ignores my furrowed brows or he is the most oblivious man in the room (I'm quite oblivious).

Like, I've actually been doing things this year. I got a full-time internship, I was writing for my university newspaper, I was volunteering, I was in school. I'm pretty damn proud I got through this summer with my sanity. But my dad doesn't see that. All he can mention is how I have no initiative, I never plan anything, I never exercise, I never do this or that.

Then he finally says "You're such a disappointment."

You could have cooked a meal with my boiling blood. To contain myself from clocking dipshit daddio in the jaw, I stormed out of my room closing everything in reach with enough ferocity to rattle the house.

I'm so fragile around him. Beyonce could call me trash and still my dad's words could make me crumble.

Three times he spoke to me this summer. And it feels like every summer, this my send off.

I always imagine how my coming out will be. My mom will be furious. But my mom is one of those mom's who would overlook murder in her child. Her love is something fierce. I know she would be angry and I know she would hate it but she will always love me. She can be kind of transparent that way.

But my dad, however, would use it as another shortcoming on his ever-long list of my shortcomings. And it would break me.

Sorry for the long post, just a bit emotional.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom