• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBTQIA Thread |OT5| Can't even drink straight

Status
Not open for further replies.

DOWN

Banned
It's theoretically possible that they weren't actually bigoted...

but3rr30.png
Haha that's a little different.

I heard enough to know they were saying the guy's (stereotypically gay) mannerisms were bothering them.

Back when I first started at my job, the first person I told I was gay got me to say it out of discomfort. He wouldn't stop asking me about girls we worked with and customers. He'd ask if I would "fuck her?" A couple weeks after I told him, he said I was good at keeping it quiet and that a guy who used to work their "tried too hard to be out." I think he was just trying to say the stereotypical mannerisms bothered him, but overall he seemed fine with me in general after. We were never close to begin with and he eventually quit.

And your point...? -_-

I don't see how a high pitched voice can be consider as a "gay mannerism" considering that there is no direct correlation between voice pitch and sexuality. Lisp? Well a lot of people have that... and again has nothing do with sexuality or how a person identifies.
I know what you mean, but I'm sure you get what they mean too.

Kevyt

High pitched voice, limp wrist, lisp are all clear gay mannerisms. Just because some people have something when they're not gay doesn't mean that it's not a gay mannerism. These all exist for many gay people, and are stereotyped as ways gay people act.

Who gets to decide what is "gay mannerism" and what isn't? I refuse to acknowledge what Ratsky listed, and many other unfair stereotypes, as "gay mannerisms." It's hard to draw the line when it comes to gender stereotypes anyways.

I know what you mean, but I'm sure you get what they mean too.

I do, but I disagree.

lets us decide for you

Hmm, I'll try and post them. Queer eye for the queer guys house decor.

Who gets to decide what is gay mannerism and what isn't? I refuse to acknowledge what Ratsky listed and many other unfair stereotypes as a "gay mannerism." It's hard to draw the line when it comes to gender stereotypes anyways.

Most steretypes are unfair. It's a generalization. Effeminate qualities, such as what ratsky posted are what most would consider stereotypical gay mannerisms.

DOWN

Banned
Who gets to decide what is "gay mannerism" and what isn't? I refuse to acknowledge what Ratsky listed, and many other unfair stereotypes, as "gay mannerisms." It's hard to draw the line when it comes to gender stereotypes anyways.
I think you're preaching to the choir a bit here. Of all threads where it would be safe to acknowledge stereotypes, it would be here. It's not being used against gay people in the context of this thread, so it doesn't do much to avoid acknowledgement.

Kevyt

Hmm, I'll try and post them. Queer eye for the queer guys house decor.

Most steretypes are unfair. It's a generalization. Effeminate qualities, such as what ratsky posted are what most would consider stereotypical gay mannerisms.

I guess...

giphy.gif

They had a real cock!! OMG... they're such beautiful animals. ^_^

I think you're preaching to the choir a bit here. Of all threads where it would be safe to acknowledge stereotypes, it would be here. It's not being used against gay people in the context of this thread, so it doesn't do much to avoid acknowledgement.

Very true.

I agree, purpose is like an abstract and vague idea that we make up to feel better about existance. It's just an idea and nothing more.

Personally I don't think that it's necessarily an idea. I think it can be a phenomenon or experience, same with the feeling of being 'whole'. I'm normally very driven by purpose, and I think it's more a quality or condition than a concept. We've all had a sense of conviction before, or the sense that something we're doing is meaningful, and the feeling can be entirely non-verbal or non-conceptual, in the same way that joy or sadness are, though I'd agree that it's more abstract than those. I think it's more that it's not enduring, but we think it is. It's sort of like anyone who has had problems with depression or mental health, at the first sign of recovery you think it's all just behind you. We'll jump to grab a hold of something that we think might solve all of our problems, because we're eager to be rid of them. But 'purpose' like most feelings exists in a constant state of flux, it's not really a reliable resource to base existential contentment on. But neither is hedonism, either, really (the hedonic treadmill, etc); but I guess in the stereotypical way that those two are set up as a false dilemma I see the sense in pursuing meaning over just pleasure.

Captcha

When people say "lisp" do you actually mean like a "lithp" type deal, or a sort of inflection some guys have when they speak (the so-called "gay voice")? This always confused me, because I have never in my life heard a gay dude speak with a lisp. Obviously, there has to be some who literally have a speech impediment, but not enough that it has become a stereotype for the gays.

Kevyt

Personally I don't think that it's necessarily an idea. I think it can be a phenomenon or experience, same with the feeling of being 'whole'. I'm normally very driven by purpose, and I think it's more a quality or condition than a concept. We've all had a sense of conviction before, or the sense that something we're doing is meaningful, and the feeling can be entirely non-verbal or non-conceptual, in the same way that joy or sadness are, though I'd agree that it's more abstract than those. I think it's more that it's not enduring, but we think it is. It's sort of like anyone who has had problems with depression or mental health, at the first sign of recovery you think it's all just behind you. We'll jump to grab a hold of something that we think might solve all of our problems, because we're eager to be rid of them. But 'purpose' like most feelings exists in a constant state of flux, it's not really a reliable resource to base existential contentment on. But neither is hedonism, either, really (the hedonic treadmill, etc); but I guess in the stereotypical way that those two are set up as a false dilemma I see the sense in pursuing meaning over just pleasure.

I enjoy reading your posts... :3

What's your take on determinism in relationship to our perceived notion of free will?

I enjoy reading your posts... :3

What's your take on determinism in relationship to our perceived notion of free will?

Thank you.

Personally I think it's an argument worth ignoring. It's clear that we have agency, and we're incapable of viewing our agency as being deterministic even if we conceptually adopt determinism, because it's a logical contradiction to think about how you would act at the same time that you hold to a belief that you have no say. The way we act in the world necessarily presupposes the ability to make meaningful decisions. But I think free will seems too bold also, it's basically saying that our decision making processes are 'uncaused', and I don't think that's true, I think choice is a limited resource. So I'm not really sure what benefit there is to adopting a strong stance one way or the other. Or perhaps even a stance at all. I'm not sure what advocates for determinism really get out of it, other than it seeming like an obvious conclusion when we look at how the natural world seems to work, because it contributes less than nothing to how we actually live our lives, so I'm not really sure what the need is to speculate about it. I think we can burden ourselves and become trapped in a net of ideas if we adopt intellectual problems without a well reasoned motive for doing so. Personally my motives are to live a more satisfied existence, which maybe isn't a universal motive but it's a worthy one, and I think this question is a detriment to that. It's interesting, but I think we can overestimate how important it is and have it become a bit of a quagmire.

Rayis

Hmmm... Anyone here do drag or has done drag before?

I would fuckin'' love to be a drag queen, drag queens represent everything I am or want to be as a person, born male with a feminine spirit, watching Ru Paul's Drag Race made me realize that as cliche as it sounds.

I sometimes feel I should have been born female instead of male, but to me being a drag queen is like the next best thing.

Kevyt

Thank you.

Personally I think it's an argument worth ignoring. It's clear that we have agency, and we're incapable of viewing our agency as being deterministic even if we conceptually adopt determinism, because it's a logical contradiction to think about how you would act at the same time that you hold to a belief that you have no say. The way we act in the world necessarily presupposes the ability to make meaningful decisions. But I think free will seems too bold also, it's basically saying that our decision making processes are 'uncaused', and I don't think that's true, I think choice is a limited resource. So I'm not really sure what benefit there is to adopting a strong stance one way or the other. Or perhaps even a stance at all. I'm not sure what advocates for determinism really get out of it, other than it seeming like an obvious conclusion when we look at how the natural world seems to work, because it contributes less than nothing to how we actually live our lives, so I'm not really sure what the need is to speculate about it. I think we can burden ourselves and become trapped in a net of ideas if we adopt intellectual problems without a well reasoned motive for doing so. Personally my motives are to live a more satisfied existence, which maybe isn't a universal motive but it's a worthy one, and I think this question is a detriment to that. It's interesting, but I think we can overestimate how important it is and have it become a bit of a quagmire.

I think the questions of whether or not we have free will are interesting when taking into consideration what determinism entails. Likewise, the question of "what is free will" is also interesting from a philosophical perspective.

I would fuckin'' love to be a drag queen, drag queens represent everything I am or want to be as a person, born male with a feminine spirit, watching Ru Paul's Drag Race made me realize that as cliche as it sounds.

I sometimes feel I should have been born female instead of male, but to me being a drag queen is like the next best thing.

Well rock on Rayis! :) It takes a lot of courage and effort to be a drag queen (all the make up, getting dressed up, hair, accessories and stuff). So are you going to do drag later in the future?

B-Dex

The update is that he slept with my friend who is a girl right after I left and I think he was just drunk and joking around and I'm dumb

:(

That's a shame. I'll make sure to enjoy my fun tomorrow for the both of us.

Haha I don't mean that in a braggy mean way. 😝

I think the questions of whether or not we have free will are interesting when taking into consideration what determinism entails. Likewise, the question of "what is free will" is also interesting from a philosophical perspective.

It is interesting, but I think our minds tend to get snagged on interesting problems. If that is the case it makes it more of a burden than a question, and we have to be more discriminating with the burdens we choose to adopt. At least that's my opinion. I love to speculate, but speculation can become idle, or it can distort our perception of the world because we're projecting ourselves into problems where there can be no real answer or frame of reference, and we start occupying a sort of virtual or illusory space. It's not that speculation is wrong, I just think we characteristically lack moderation in knowing when to stop, and we can rack ourselves over questions that don't really matter. It's like wondering how everything began, if we can keep it as just an interesting quandary, there's no real problem, but when it gains its own momentum and starts to press itself on us... to me that seems inevitable more often than not.

Rayis

Well rock on Rayis! :) It takes a lot of courage and effort to be a drag queen (all the make up, getting dressed up, hair, accessories and stuff). So are you going to do drag later in the future?
Yes, definitely! it is something I want to try before I die, maybe not as a career since drag is usually also about performing but i will definitely dress in drag sometime in the future and maybe do a few performances in a small gay bar.

*life goals*

Kevyt

It is interesting, but I think our minds tend to get snagged on interesting problems. If that is the case it makes it more of a burden than a question, and we have to be more discriminating with the burdens we choose to adopt. At least that's my opinion. I love to speculate, but speculation can become idle, or it can distort our perception of the world because we're projecting ourselves into problems where there can be no real answer or frame of reference, and we start occupying a sort of virtual or illusory space. It's not that speculation is wrong, I just think we characteristically lack moderation in knowing when to stop, and we can rack ourselves over questions that don't really matter. It's like wondering how everything began, if we can keep it as just an interesting quandary, there's no real problem, but when it gains its own momentum and starts to press itself on us... to me that seems inevitable more often than not.

So you prefer a more pragmatic view of life when it comes to issues like this? That's very interesting :)

Yes, definitely! it is something I want to try before I die, maybe not as a career since drag is usually also about performing but i will definitely dress in drag sometime in the future and maybe do a few performances in a small gay bar.

*life goals*

Woot!! Well when you do, share with us your pictures of you in drag, if you don't mind. Best of luck in your life goals! :)

Monocle

So I'm playing Bayonetta 2 like mad and the game really brings out my inner drag queen. After each playing session I feel like going in heels, be fabulous, fierce and sickening while kicking all kinds of ass.
Bayonetta 2 has a kind of similar effect on me. Instead of wanting to embody her attitude though, the game inspires me to make Bayonetta herself as fierce as possible when I control her. Ugh, she is such a badass in the cutscenes. The least I can do is try to live up to that in-game.

Kangi

Bayonetta is a GOAT character.

Games themselves aren't half-bad either.
Even though the original's insta-death QTEs are nigh unforgivable.

RM8

I'll buy Bayo 2 some day. I hope to have a change of heart like I did with TW101, but then I always found TW101 appealing and literally forced myself to enjoy it (it wasn't that hard once the game "clicked" :p). Platinum games are weird.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Bayonetta is a GOAT character.

Games themselves aren't half-bad either.
Even though the original's insta-death QTEs are nigh unforgivable.

Insta death QTE being removed in 2 simply elevated the game.

Bayonetta 2 is the GOTY and I'm 100% unbiased.

Kevyt

I'll buy Bayo 2 some day. I hope to have a change of heart like I did with TW101, but then I always found TW101 appealing and literally forced myself to enjoy it (it wasn't that hard once the game "clicked" :p). Platinum games are weird.

I think that if you liked Metal Gear Rising Revengeance, you'll also like Bayonetta.

Kater

Banned
I really want to play Revengeance for Raiden's backside alone to be honest.

metalgearrisinggameplay.jpg

The Platinum dev team knows how to design butts.

Golnei

I really want to play Revengeance for Raiden's backside alone to be honest.

The Platinum dev team knows how to design butts.

That design actually wasn't Platinum's - I think it carried over from the failed Kojima Productions version of the project. Though the internally-designed characters often had far more impressive butts than Raiden anyway.

tumblr_n9v8qqo9X31tbpb7so3_500.gif

Where were his alternate costumes? Mods can only do so much...

Kater

Banned
That design actually wasn't Platinum's - I think it carried over from the failed Kojima Productions version of the project. Though the internally-designed characters often had far more impressive butts than Raiden anyway.

*butt gif*

Holy butt jesus.

And yeah, I didn't know about that. I thought it was P* who came up with this new design originally.

Mr_Zombie

tumblr_n9v8qqo9X31tbpb7so3_500.gif

Wait, MGR mods? Where?
And I agree, it's a shame that most of Raiden's alt costumes are just recolors. Lame :/

Kevyt

I was thinking more along the lines of a fierce battle to death where winner takes all :p Like two male lions fighting to death.

"Two male humans, in their prime, will fight to death in a gruesome and fierce battle where the winner takes it all." :p

I should watch less National Geographic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom