• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBTQIA Thread |OT5| Can't even drink straight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caladrius

GAF needs your beautiful face :3

Hobo selling my avatar pictures for money confirmed. :V

Thanks.

Quagsire.

No, it's Qabutops

I know, I just like Kabutops. :[

was ally ever actually part of the acronym

Not to my knowledge. The acronym generally refers to non-normative sexual and gender orientations, often used even outside our community as the label of our broad socio-political group, so it doesn't really fit as cleanly as any of the other possible alternatives.

Kater

Banned
I suppose it could, given that the Q can have multiple meanings, but the way I see it, straight people don't exactly deserve a space in our cozy little acronym just for accepting us, especially over our asexual brothers and sisters. Maybe it's a little combative, and possibly not worded as well as I'd like, but that's how I view it.
It's just that I got told that it means both, and I actually agree with your views on that. I wouldn't say Allies fit really, since it's more about including people that are getting actively attacked over their sexuality, gender orientation etc.

That doesn't mean that Allies are excluded from the discussion here, of course.

It's just that I got told that it means both, and I actually agree with your views on that. I wouldn't say Allies fit really, since it's more about including people that are getting actively attacked over their sexuality, gender orientation etc.

Yeah than Terrisus would have to leave and half of gaygaf would stop lusting after him.

Kevyt

I suppose it could, given that the Q can have multiple meanings, but the way I see it, straight people don't exactly deserve a space in our cozy little acronym just for accepting us, especially over our asexual brothers and sisters. Maybe it's a little combative, and possibly not worded as well as I'd like, but that's how I view it.

Edit: oops bottom of the page :(

I understand what you're saying and I agree. But as a community we have to be more inclusive, that means including allies in our acronym too.

Hobo selling my avatar pictures for money confirmed. :V

Thanks.

No, it's Qabutops

I know, I just like Kabutops. :[

Not to my knowledge. The acronym generally refers to non-normative sexual and gender orientations, often used even outside our community as the label of our broad socio-political group, so it doesn't really fit as cleanly as any of the other possible alternatives.

I'll be selling them in the alleys, near the train stations.

Yeah than Terrisus would have to leave and half of gaygaf would stop lusting after him.

giphy.gif

Sai-kun

Banned

Exactly, I don't think they fit either. I was told the A stood for Ally as well, but I no longer believe they have a place in it.

And obviously non-QueerGAF is welcome here, but I would have a problem with people coming in to take over the conversation.

I understand what you're saying and I agree. But as a community we have to be more inclusive, that means including allies in our acronym too.

Eh, I disagree. Straight people get enough love and inclusiveness everywhere else. Let them find a community and leave us queers to form our own. The only people we need to be inclusive of are other queer people.

Edit: and for what it's worth, I think terrisus might be the most active poster who falls in the asexual category. He's welcome here. You don't like seeing him? Ignore button is super easy to use.

Sai-kun

Banned
Curious, what do we lose as a community by including them?

Outshining and in some cases erasing the identities of asexual people? Maybe in this thread it doesn't mean much, but I think overall the acronym would better serve to illuminate the various spots of sexuality across the spectrum, rather than giving a letter to people who 'tolerate' us and feel the need to be recognized for it.

I know that I thought of the A as ally rather than asexual for a while, and wasn't even aware of asexuality for a long period of time until I made a friend who was ace. Forming a community is important, and so is acknowledging the identities of people who are very often left out!

DOWN

Banned
You guys realize that this whole thing feels like a movie?

Not showing off, but that's me and my bubba.
Now that post is more like it. I wish you many more good moments like that one.

Edit: oops bottom of the page :(
Ally doesn't refer to mere tolerance, it refers to supporters or fellow activists of the community who are heterosexual.

Kater

Banned
Exactly, I don't think they fit either. I was told the A stood for Ally as well, but I no longer believe they have a place in it.

And obviously non-QueerGAF is welcome here, but I would have a problem with people coming in to take over the conversation.
Who even came up with the idea to include that? Or was it the community itself that said that the A stands for Allies (besides Asexual)?

Happy new year everyone!
Happy New Year, bubba!

Sai-kun

Banned
Ally doesn't refer to mere tolerance, it refers to supporters or fellow activists of the community who are heterosexual.

Eh, doesn't really change how I feel about it. Still prefer asexual to ally.

And by the way, I wasn't trying to imply that we don't need allies at all, just that they don't deserve a spot in our cute acronym.

And now for something different: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbpAMXq_Nms

This video is always entertaining to me.

Yum. :>

alvmew

Heya GayGAF. So for once I didn't spend New Years alone and hung out with this guy I'm pretty interested in
and our first kiss ever was a New Year's kiss at midnight ahhhh :)
. Definitely a good way to kick off 2015.

And what's this I hear about a Skype chat? ._.

Kater

Banned
Heya GayGAF. So for once I didn't spend New Years alone and hung out with this guy I'm pretty interested in
and our first kiss ever was a New Year's kiss at midnight ahhhh :)
. Definitely a good way to kick off 2015.
Aw, that sounds really sweet. What a nice start into a new year. =)

Guys I feel really good. Feels really good. Not looking forward to airport scene tomorow. Been a long time since I've felt like this. Argh.

Grakl

Tell us about it when you're there

Have a safe trip, Grakl.

Planes are awesome.
Boston is awesome.

Which part are you scared about?/SPOILER]

Have a safe trip back Grakl.

Thanks, everyone. Short story:

I had two flights to get on to go from Texas to Boston. I made sure not to sleep the night before so I could fall asleep on the plane -- of course, that didn't work! I usually can't sleep on planes, so it's nothing new, but it would've been nice. I freaked out a little bit before getting on the first plane, but I wasn't too worried. The flight was only around 40 minutes long, so I wasn't thinking about dying the whole time, just how many minutes before I could get off the plane.

The layover and the second flight though? I had a complete panic attack before getting on the second plane. My brain shut down and I couldn't move or anything. I considered booking a train ride for that afternoon for like $400 to get out of it. The flight was three hours, and I really didn't want to get on that plane. I almost didn't -- I was the last one on that plane afaik. Lucario had to talk to me to calm me down, I really thought I was going to die. The beginning of the flight was hell, but I mellowed out a bit. Still made it back alive!

I'm never getting on a plane again when traveling throughout the U.S.. If I get on a plane again, I'm going to be drugged. I can't deal with the anxiety. I'm so happy to be back on the ground.

Kater

Banned
Long Distance Relationship
Ah, now I get it.

Thought you were talking about Lana at first, but it didn't really make sense in the context.
little dainty raisins.
Raisins, urgh.

Thanks, everyone. Short story:

I had two flights to get on to go from Texas to Boston. I made sure not to sleep the night before so I could fall asleep on the plane -- of course, that didn't work! I usually can't sleep on planes, so it's nothing new, but it would've been nice. I freaked out a little bit before getting on the first plane, but I wasn't too worried. The flight was only around 40 minutes long, so I wasn't thinking about dying the whole time, just how many minutes before I could get off the plane.

The layover and the second flight though? I had a complete panic attack before getting on the second plane. My brain shut down and I couldn't move or anything. I considered booking a train ride for that afternoon for like $400 to get out of it. The flight was three hours, and I really didn't want to get on that plane. I almost didn't -- I was the last one on that plane afaik. Lucario had to talk to me to calm me down, I really thought I was going to die. The beginning of the flight was hell, but I mellowed out a bit. Still made it back alive!

I'm never getting on a plane again when traveling throughout the U.S.. If I get on a plane again, I'm going to be drugged. I can't deal with the anxiety. I'm so happy to be back on the ground.
Glad you could make it through. I know I wouldn't have the guts to ever even set foot on a plane, baloon, zeppelin or whatever. I like to stay on the ground.

Isn't here another option to travel for you? I really like to drive with trains, for example. But it probably costs a lot more than a trip via plane, I'd imagine.

daripad

I wish I could fly

Also if given the chance, I would always choose plane over going by car, I hate being on the highway for hours, it gets me too tired

RM8

I've only experienced one flight that wasn't ~15 hours long. I can only imagine what it's like to go through so much anxiety while flying :( I hope you can overcome it eventually, Grakl.

Grakl

I feel your pain bro, I'm so jealous of people who can hop on a plain willy nilly and go to a faraway country.

Yeah. My dad is fine with planes, and he says it's because he's in a powerful machine. I would understand if I was the one controlling it! There's no agency on an airplane.

Glad you could make it through. I know I wouldn't have the guts to ever even set foot on a plane, baloon, zeppelin or whatever. I like to stay on the ground.

Isn't here another option to travel for you? I really like to drive with trains, for example. But it's probably costs a lot more than a trip via plane, I'd imagine.

Yeah, I'll be doing trains from now on. They take forever, though -- and like you said, they are much more expensive. Still worth it.

I've only experienced one flight that wasn't ~15 hours long. I can only imagine what it's like to go through so much anxiety while flying :( I hope you can overcome it eventually, Grakl.

Thanks dude.

I wish I could fly

Also if given the chance, I would always choose plane over going by car, I hate being on the highway for hours, it gets me too tired

Why can't you? Too expensive? It's worth experiencing it if you're not afraid of it, and it's so useful to get around.

So you're pursuing the LDR? Good shit, dude. It's hard, but worth it. I wish you best of luck.

Not sure what were pursuing, but we're pursuing something. Like he said to me over dinner; Chicago is only an hour flight away. He also said that the Law of Attraction brought us together. Who am I to break that law and deprives us of happiness.

Grakl

Not sure what were pursuing, but we're pursuing something. Like he said to me over dinner; Chicago is only an hour flight away. He also said that the Law of Attraction brought us together. Who am I to break that law and deprives us of happiness.

Fuck yeah. That distance isn't too bad. I wish you best of luck.

Grakl please, I'm not a dragon, I can't grow wings, so I can't fly :p

lul

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom