• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBTQIA Thread |OT5| Can't even drink straight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevyt

I don't understand how asexuality is a sexual orientation as much as atheism is a religion... both are the lack of...? unless I am understanding asexuality the wrong way. Clearly, I am. Could someone shed some light into asexuality? because I am genuinely confused.

Edit: to clarify, I am an atheist, and one of the things that always irks me is when atheism is categorized as another "form" of religion. I realized my analogy is weak, but hopefully you guys understand my point.

Kater

Banned
Aw, damn. One of these days though, I would be totally down for that, ha. I keep a decent little stock of stuff on hand now, so just let me know! :p
But I'd go for something less intense than Irish Car Bombs if it were a competition. Maybe something based on Amaretto or Kahlua (coffee liqueur). Vodka also goes down pretty well. Whiskey is my weakness though. Hits way too hard.

It might sound like that, but I don't actually think that's the problem; I don't always want to do stuff with him, but doing stuff alone is never a problem.
Is your love to him still there? Or is it a bit rusted after all that time? Maybe what you need is some trip somewhere else to refresh those feelings to each other, as silly and cliche as it sounds but it might just work.

I don't understand how asexuality is a sexual orientation as much as atheism is a religion... both are the lack of...? unless I am understanding asexuality the wrong way. Clearly, I am. Could someone shed some light into asexuality? because I am genuinely confused.
It's out of the norm, so it kinda fits with the rest. That's my simplistic understanding of it.

terrisus

I wouldn't call it an "orientation" personally.
Just an aspect of one's sexuality.

In the hypothetical x-plane of sexuality, it's the y scale >.>

Is LGBT+ bad?

LGBT et alia

Edit: to clarify, I am an atheist, and one of the things that always irks me is when atheism is categorized as another "form" of religion. I realized my analogy is weak, but hopefully you guys understand my point.

I sorta feel this way, it's not a sexual orientation. I'm not saying asexual people aren't welcome, but it's not really the same thing in terms of social issues being asexual compared to being gay, bi, trans and so forth.

Ahasverus

We talk about all kind of sexualities here. This is a touchy subject if you want to be deep, my suggestion is not to over think it, LGTB was enough once, we can add whatever we want, we'll be all welcoming anyway.

Thirst knows no boundaries

Odinson

There's a documentary on Netflix called (A) Sexual. It was very enlightening to me because I had never really tried to sit down and understand it. Looking at the film I feel like they feel they have no place and want to be included in the lgbt community. It's basically a struggle for them to find where they belong as the gay community itself can be cliquish and unwelcoming within itself.

VegiHam

I wouldn't call it an "orientation" personally.
Just an aspect of one's sexuality.

In the hypothetical x-plane of sexuality, it's the y scale >.>

LGBT et alia
Is one's sexuality a point on the graph, or a function representing degree of attraction to different genders? If it's the first any person can be generally located on the graph but it doesn't offer much information about the likelihood of attraction to a specific other person. If it's the second, does the x-axis represent the self defined gender of the target of attraction on a scale of male to female; or a 'homo to hetro' expression of the difference between the genders of the attractor and attracted?

Do we need a z-axis and to define everyone's individual sexuality as a plane on the graph?

Yay for being a maths nerd ;)

I vote for everyone and anyone is welcome. Supporters, critics and fellow brothers and sisters.

Wasn't there s guy here who said that we should ban lesbians from the thread?

Kevyt

A is for Awesome

Representing.

Welcome! :)

I sorta feel this way, it's not a sexual orientation. I'm not saying asexual people aren't welcome, but it's not really the same thing in terms of social issues being asexual compared to being gay, bi, trans and so forth.

I sort of think this too... but I could be wrong. Of course asexuals are welcomed in the community.

There's a documentary on Netflix called (A) Sexual. It was very enlightening to me because I had never really tried to sit down and understand it. Looking at the film I feel like they feel they have no place and want to be included in the lgbt community. It's basically a struggle for them to find where they belong as the gay community itself can be cliquish and unwelcoming within itself.

I'll try to look for that film and watch it.

We're not a cult, everyone's welcome :]

^^ this, a thousand times. :)

Vitanimus

Eh I don't feel particularly strongly about including the A for Allies in the title... at the risk of sounding regressive, I couldn't care less if allies/heterosexual feel included seeing as though they're included in everything else

asexual > ally

It probably doesn't happen anyway but I don't see this is a place where heterosexual "problems" can be discussed or should be discussed

terrisus

Is one's sexuality a point on the graph, or a function representing degree of attraction to different genders? If it's the first any person can be generally located on the graph but it doesn't offer much information about the likelihood of attraction to a specific other person. If it's the second, does the x-axis represent the self defined gender of the target of attraction on a scale of male to female; or a 'homo to hetro' expression of the difference between the genders of the attractor and attracted?

Do we need a z-axis and to define everyone's individual sexuality as a plane on the graph?

Yay for being a maths nerd ;)

And then there's the whole issue of what is real, and what is imaginary >.>

Yay math =)

Kevyt

Keep the A but make it a mistery, suspense is exciting ;)

image.php

But I'd go for something less intense than Irish Car Bombs if it were a competition. Maybe something based on Amaretto or Kahlua (coffee liqueur). Vodka also goes down pretty well. Whiskey is my weakness though. Hits way too hard.
Damn, take away my secret weapon (and weakness), why don't you. :p Don't worry, I'm sure we could come up with something, or just agree to a 1 for 1 drink rule, without it being the exact same. I've got a bottle of the usual basics (excluding gin, which isn't my thing), and liqueurs like Amaretto, Kahlua, Baileys, etc. So I'm flexible. Just let me know, heh!

Sai-kun

Banned
Eh I don't feel particularly strongly about including the A for Allies in the title... at the risk of sounding regressive, I couldn't care less if allies/heterosexual feel included seeing as though they're included in everything else

asexual > ally

It probably doesn't happen anyway but I don't see this is a place where heterosexual "problems" can be discussed or should be discussed

on some level, this is definitely how i feel. i honestly couldn't care about how comfortable this thread makes hetero people, because it's a space for queer people. that isn't to say that hetero people aren't welcome, because they are, and we're not exclusive, but I'm gonna say that if someone came in here and expressed that they were uncomfortable with us talking about certain things, I would tell them to fuck off.

The analogy of sexuality to religion is super weak, honestly, and not really worth continuing. It's as much an expression of sexuality as bi/polysexuality and demisexuality are.

And the social issues don't have to match up with gay, bi, or trans issues in order for it to be considered an orientation. Being transgender has zero things to do with sexuality, and has its own set of issues completely separate from gay/bisexuality, that none of us will ever experience. Asexuality also has its own set of issues that are unique to itself, and that's okay. All these different experiences lead us down different roads, but we find community in being different in similar ways.

I've heard of this, but had forgotten about it! Thanks for reminding me, I'll make a point of watching it sometime this coming week :)

Asexuality not being a sexual orientation doesn't mean it can't be in the acronym. Asexuals are an equal part of the community.

Allies shouldn't get acronym status, they are part of the larger community as they are allies to the community.

There is cause for concern about whether this includes mixed-sex relationship/attraction topics, eg bisexuals talking about things like that.

Golnei

what in god's name

god is real

you have permission to rape me

tumblr_inline_mhj33t4Q6b1qz4rgp.jpg

on some level, this is definitely how i feel. i honestly couldn't care about how comfortable this thread makes hetero people, because it's a space for queer people. that isn't to say that hetero people aren't welcome, because they are, and we're not exclusive, but I'm gonna say that if someone came in here and expressed that they were uncomfortable with us talking about certain things, I would tell them to fuck off.

Essentially how I feel - it's pointlessly exclusionary to act as gatekeepers, but at no point should a space for a marginalised minority cater to the overwhelming majority. Especially when allies, whether men to feminism, cis people to trans issues, racial majorities to minorities or straight allies to the gay/bi/pan/demi/ace sine graph, already monopolise much of the public attention directed towards those issues and individuals, often silencing the voice of those actually affected by them.

JefFrey aka phil-x said that shit.

mess.

Disgusting. I really can't stand gay misogynists - was he at least temporarily banned?

terrisus

If anyone ever feels like I'm dominating the conversation too much (since, I am on these boards far too much in general...) or sidetracking necessary discussions, or not being considerate of others, or anything like that, just tell me and I'll back off/try to adjust.

Vitanimus

Asexuality not being a sexual orientation doesn't mean it can't be in the acronym. Asexuals are an equal part of the community.

Allies shouldn't get acronym status, they are part of the larger community as they are allies to the community.

There is cause for concern about whether this includes mixed-sex relationship/attraction topics, eg bisexuals talking about things like that.

not at all although I see how it looks like that

to be more blunt, if a cis hetero person entered this thread asking for advice about another cis hetero person, I would tell them this is not the place to do it

Disgusting. I really can't stand gay misogynists - was he at least temporarily banned?

I read this really interesting article by the chicana lesbian feminist Cheri Moraga entitled Queer Aztlan that basically addressed this. She basically said that gay men are just as mysoginistic as straight men becuase they're still men. She later explains how she was an activist without a country because feminist groups were racist and chicano rights movements were mysoginistic. I highly recommend it, it's a really interesting read.

terrisus

not at all although I see how it looks like that

to be more blunt, if a cis hetero person entered this thread asking for advice about another cis hetero person, I would tell them this is not the place to do it

And that's the thing - I am "cis hetero..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom