• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBTQIA Thread |OT5| Can't even drink straight

Status
Not open for further replies.

HylianTom

Banned
I'm currently playing through Spirit Tracks. God, so far it's probably the worst Zelda game I've ever played. It sometimes feels like a chore to play.

The portables for the most part are a good tier or two below most of the console games.

I play through the console games at least every other year.. but the portables are a once-per-decade affair.

Still love that overworld theme. I hum it when I'm on the streetcar sometimes, lol..

IAnd boy do I want to play this:
EZJHI.jpg
Got damn. PC gaming truly is the best. GTA 4 with ICE Enhancer mod?

Cheyenne Jackson
enhanced-buzz-4697-1340894712-8.jpg
Um, whoa, yes please.

You do that. :3

Nah, it's just me overdoing it. :p
Way ahead of you on doing it, ha. Out of Guinness now though, it's a disaster.

The trick is to pace yourself. They hit hard! I'm drunk as hell right now.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-977-1365083575-3.gif

Kittie Harington
So much yes, ugh.

The portables for the most part are a good tier or two below most of the console games.

That's really only true of the DS games, though. Link's Awakening is a Koizumi masterpiece, and Link Between Worlds was very high quality as well. I guess the Flagship games aren't quite up to par, but it's mostly the DS games that really sink the average quality of the handheld Zeldas.

_Isaac

I play through the console games at least every other year.. but the portables are a once-per-decade affair.

Still love that overworld theme. I hum it when I'm on the streetcar sometimes, lol..

I agree with you regarding Spirit Tracks and Phantom Hourglass, but I think Minish Cap is pretty good and A Link Between Worlds is especially good.

EDIT: Also I really don't like the Spirit Tracks overworld theme. I hate everything about that overworld.

HylianTom

Banned
That's really only true of the DS games, though. Link's Awakening is a Koizumi masterpiece, and Link Between Worlds was very high quality as well. I guess the Flagship games aren't quite up to par, but it's mostly the DS games that really sink the average quality of the handheld Zeldas.

I agree with you regarding Spirit Tracks and Phantom Hourglass, but I think Minish Cap is pretty good and A Link Between Worlds is especially good.

EDIT: Also I really don't like the Spirit Tracks overworld theme. I hate everything about that overworld.

A Link Between Worlds was good to the point where it didn't really feel like a handheld. I hope/suspect we're getting to the point where the line between handheld and console Zelda is blurred a bit.

My main issue with the portables is that they're usually a bit on the linear side, so ALBW was really hopeful (and that soundtrack! Yessss!!)

{and Link's Awakening is still amazing. A portable game that can make me laugh and cry!}

This Zelda talk has me excited for the symphony later this year!

Fiction, right now I'm trying to flesh out a story about stone age Eurasia.

Oh cool, I vaguely remember thinking that neolithic burial practices were really neat, also I can remember something about animal sacrifice (bears, I think?)

Burial practices in general are really fucking cool though. Tracking how various cultures traditionally viewed death is really fascinating and it's always kind of there at the centre, when people are considering the world that they find themselves in. Sometimes I wonder about belief systems where our ancestors and stuff are still with us (which is fairly common). If you think of life as being like a shared dream or something, and some day someone you knew disappeared, would you think that they were gone (as in just nowhere to be found), or gone (as in annihilated)? And this sort of thing is at the centre of how we think of death, when people die are they gone? It's so weird to think about. Every way we try to place death in our understanding is a bit of a mythology, because it's like some veil we can't see the other side of. I'm not really an anthro dude but I liked the bits of it I'd get from like religious studies and stuff.

Sibylus

Banned
Oh cool, I vaguely remember thinking that neolithic burial practices were really neat, also I can remember something about animal sacrifice (bears, I think?)
Yeah, it's a fascinating period with almost too many draws to rattle off in a single sitting:

- Burial rites/defleshing/cannibalization of the dead
- Animism and pre-"pagan" religion
- Intense climate change
- Megafauna
- Multiple species of humans sharing the planet in the same period, the fading of some and the rise of others
- Migration across tens of thousands of kilometers with the crudest means
- Less rigid gender roles
- Forest gardens, foraging, pre-agricultural revolution

Yeah, it's a fascinating period with almost too many draws to rattle off in a single sitting:

- Burial rites/defleshing/cannibalization of the dead
- Animism and pre-"pagan" religion
- Intense climate change
- Megafauna
- Multiple species of humans sharing the planet in the same period, the fading of some and the rise of others
- Migration across tens of thousands of kilometers with the crudest means
- Less rigid gender roles
- Forest gardens, foraging, pre-agricultural revolution

I hadn't even thought of most of those, that's all kind of brilliant stuff to work with. I guess the biggest challenge is probably 'voice' in narration and dialogue and stuff?

Sibylus

Banned
Also allows me to play with artistic interpretations of what paleolithic magic might have looked like. For now I'm operating under the assumption that it actually works, because I figure that makes the story more interesting :)

I hadn't even thought of most of those, that's all kind of brilliant stuff to work with. I guess the biggest challenge is probably 'voice' in narration and dialogue and stuff?
Voice is definitely something I've spent a lot of time feeling out. Trying not to make all my characters speak like they came out of the middle ages or classical Greece or something like that.

I had the weirdest experience yesterday, I was out to buy Captain Toad, it was sold out everywhere so I went to an electronics store that's a bit further away. While walking I noticed this guy walking behind me the whole time, kinda creepy but told myself it's probably nothing and he's just walking the same route. After a while he comes up to me and says if he can ask me something, I say sure, he asks me what my name is, I didn't wanna say, then he asks me if I have a boyfriend, I said no(really stupid that I answered that), then he asks me if I want to chill with him, I say ''no, leave me alone''... he asks why and I ignored him... then he gets frustrated and asks dumb shit like why I'm ignoring him, at that point I was really creeped out and just wanted to get rid of him, there was no one around and it was night time. I start walking slower to see if he'll continue walking and he starts walking slower too, then we came up to a traffic light, I pretended to cross the street, then quickly ran back and went into a street that lead to a bunch of houses and little streets, lost him and got the last Captain Toad in that store.

Any of you guys experienced something like this? I'm just weirded out by the whole thing, I never had something like this happen before and thought stuff like this only happens to girls.

or Jenna Coleman

MnkS8aP.jpg

Don't make a girl choose

Jenna Coleman <3

Also allows me to play with artistic interpretations of what paleolithic magic might have looked like. For now I'm operating under the assumption that it actually works, because I figure that makes the story more interesting :)

Definitely. When you think of it magic would have been the only sensible way of understanding the world back then. Are you reading about occult systems? I'm sure it's all extremely speculative but there might be ways of infusing it with some 'authenticity' by looking at some other examples that we know a bit more about. I remember reading that incense cults were a pretty big deal back in the day and it was actually how people discovered plant based drugs (they'd burn the plants in a small closed room and the flame would release the 'spirit' held in the plant), so it goes kind of with the animism thing. Or I could imagine trancework featuring in prominently into whatever they were doing. If people spent a lot of time in caves I also remember reading that it may have been a form of sensory deprivation (in the vein of meditation), and the "soham" mantra in Vedic practice is supposed to reflect the sound of our breathing in complete silence (which is all we would have heard in the middle of a quiet and dark cave).

Voice is definitely something I've spent a lot of time feeling out. Trying not to make all my characters speak like they came out of the middle ages or classical Greece or something like that.

I honestly would have a hard time with that. Though a potentially absurd idea just came to me, would it be silly to draw inspiration from a conlang like toki pona, and somehow not have it come out sounding dumb (becuase the danger of using 'simple' language is that it might sound dumb or something).

I don't know why I'm offering unsolicited suggestions, sorry if I am being obnoxious, I guess I just think your premise is really neat! :p

Captcha

So I'm convinced the worst thing ever is a straight guy leading you on.

Not exactly the same thing, but I had friends in college that had no boundaries. Knowing full well I was gay, they'd do crap like randomly grope me or hop on top of me while I was lying down or even randomly kiss me. That got annoying so I started doing it back. You want to make it weird? Then let's go.

I had the weirdest experience yesterday, I was out to buy Captain Toad, it was sold out everywhere so I went to an electronics store that's a bit further away. While walking I noticed this guy walking behind me the whole time, kinda creepy but told myself it's probably nothing and he's just walking the same route. After a while he comes up to me and says if he can ask me something, I say sure, he asks me what my name is, I didn't wanna say, then he asks me if I have a boyfriend, I said no(really stupid that I answered that), then he asks me if I want to chill with him, I say ''no, leave me alone''... he asks why and I ignored him... then he gets frustrated and asks dumb shit like why I'm ignoring him, at that point I was really creeped out and just wanted to get rid of him, there was no one around and it was night time. I start walking slower to see if he'll continue walking and he starts walking slower too, then we came up to a traffic light, I pretended to cross the street, then quickly ran back and went into a street that lead to a bunch of houses and little streets, lost him and got the last Captain Toad in that store.

Any of you guys experienced something like this? I'm just weirded out by the whole thing, I never had something like this happen before and thought stuff like this only happens to girls.

Not me, but I have friends who deal with this crap a lot in the, er, "gay" parts of town. They're usually smaller guys; I think it's a dominance thing.

Elitist1945

Not exactly the same thing, but I had friends in college that had no boundaries. Knowing full well I was gay, they'd do crap like randomly grope me or hop on top of me while I was lying down or even randomly kiss me. That got annoying so I started doing it back. You want to make it weird? Then let's go.

I had a 'straight' friend who sent me a nude on SnapChat.

Not me, but I have friends who deal with this crap a lot in the, er, "gay" parts of town. They're usually smaller guys; I think it's a dominance thing.

It wasn't even near any gay bars or anything. Maybe he noticed I had a dude as my phone's wallpaper and figured he'd give it a try. Probably gonna change that wallpaper now.

Sibylus

Banned
Definitely. When you think of it magic would have been the only sensible way of understanding the world back then. Are you reading about occult systems? I'm sure it's all extremely speculative but there might be ways of infusing it with some 'authenticity' by looking at some other examples that we know a bit more about. I remember reading that incense cults were a pretty big deal back in the day and it was actually how people discovered plant based drugs (they'd burn the plants in a small closed room and the flame would release the 'spirit' held in the plant), so it goes kind of with the animism thing.

I honestly would have a hard time with that. Though a potentially absurd idea just came to me, would it be silly to draw inspiration from a conlang like toki pona, and somehow not have it come out sounding dumb (becuase the danger of using 'simple' language is that it might sound dumb or something).

I don't know why I'm offering unsolicited suggestions, I guess I just think your premise is really neat :p
To be honest, I'm reading from a lot of diverse sources on magic at the moment. Witchcraft and druidism in particular offer a lot of fertile ground for inspiration to draw upon. In large part that's because of their hyperactive reverence for and proximity to nature, and also the prominence of natural substances used in spiritual contexts. Native American spirituality (spirit kinship with animals, magical potency of dreams, etc) is also a source of inspiration for me at the moment.

Toki Pona is an interesting idea, though ultimately comprehensibility probably must win out over an authentic paleolithic anthropological exercise of sorts. That and success in conveying important aspects of the time, such as the poignancy of the Neanderthal extinctions in the face of our comparatively newer species on the European scene. Some anachronism to preserve the proverbial spirit of the age is a worthwhile sacrifice in my mind.

It wasn't even near any gay bars or anything. Maybe he noticed I had a dude as my phone's wallpaper and figured he'd give it a try. Probably gonna change that wallpaper now.
Don't sacrifice a good wallpaper because of a creep.

I'm jealous that you get to play Captain Toad. I don't have a Wii U yet, but when I do, that's one of the first games I'm getting.

The only time I've had anybody come up in public and flat-out ask if I had a boyfriend, I was being solicited for BJs at a bus station in a nice part of town. He didn't follow me on the bus though...

--

As for celebrity crush, Park Chanyeol from EXO

To be honest, I'm reading from a lot of diverse sources on magic at the moment. Witchcraft and druidism in particular offer a lot of fertile ground for inspiration to draw upon. In large part that's because of their hyperactive reverence for proximity to nature, and also the prominence of natural substances used in spiritual contexts. Native American spirituality (spirit kinship with animals, magical potency of dreams, etc) is also a source of inspiration for me at the moment.

Toki Pona is an interesting idea, though ultimately comprehensibility probably must win out over an authentic paleolithic anthropological exercise of sorts. That and success in conveying important aspects of the time, such as the poignancy of the Neanderthal extinctions in the face of our comparatively newer species on the European scene. Some anachronism to preserve the proverbial spirit of the age is a worthwhile sacrifice in my mind.

Those are good ideas. The only problem I might see with witchcraft is a lot of it is kind of like a rethought version of Thelema or Crowley's work, and I think Crowley draws a lot from Agrippa and Hermeticism like basically everyone in contemporary Western Occult traditions. That might not be a problem, though. For other shamanic practices I might recommend Chinese folk religion (wu) as maybe offering some good inspiration, too.

Yeah for sure, I think the toki pona thing might only work on a story of a much smaller scale.

Sibylus

Banned
Those are good ideas. The only problem I might see with witchcraft is a lot of it is kind of like a rethought version of Thelema or Crowley's work, and I think Crowley draws a lot from Agrippa and Hermeticism like basically everyone in contemporary Western Occult traditions. That might not be a problem, though. For other shamanic practices I might recommend Chinese folk religion (wu) as maybe offering some good inspiration, too.

Yeah for sure, I think the toki pona thing might only work on a story of a much smaller scale.
I'll definitely look into wu, thanks :)

Kater

Banned
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom