• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBTQIA Thread |OT5| Can't even drink straight

Status
Not open for further replies.

RM8

I was rocking a stupidphone in the middle of 2011 because "I had an iPod and a tablet". It's not until you get one that you understand its awesomeness :p

I've done Windows Phone, Android and IPhone. They're all awesome and I wish I could justify owning 3 phones.

Am I being unreasonable in my reaction to that thread's the OP?

It really rubbed me the wrong way and I just wanted to some clarification on the pretext of the thread but I'm not really getting anything back. I feel like a stick in the mud for even bringing anything up since the thread is doing just fine, but I kinda felt like I was the only one that actually read the first post. (Or obviously the only one that is silly enough to be perturbed by it.)

Though please don't go pouring into the thread to add to my posts. I already feel like a doof.

I call my life before iPhone "The Land Before Time"

I got a little bored of the iPhone, had one since 2007 but switched over and got a Note 4. I love it. But smartphones in general... <3

I'd die without mine.

someone tell me why st vincent is so amazing

She is amazing, although I prefer Strange Mercy over her self-titled.

It really rubbed me the wrong way and I just wanted to some clarification on the pretext of the thread but I'm not really getting anything back. I feel like a stick in the mud for even bringing anything up since the thread is doing just fine, but I kinda felt like I was the only one that actually read the first post. (Or obviously the only one that is silly enough to be perturbed by it.)

Though please don't go pouring into the thread to add to my posts. I already feel like a doof.

Tbqh, I'm not a huge Winterfang fan. I didn't really care about that topic topost in it either.

terrisus

I was rocking a stupidphone in the middle of 2011 because "I had an iPod and a tablet". It's not until you get one that you understand its awesomeness :p

I've never had an iPod (or other music player), and didn't have a tablet (a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0) until 2012.

I was way behind on all of that >.>

terrisus

I'm going to PM you a response to this, just in case it's something I shouldn't say in a post (nothing particularly bad)

Kinsei

Banned

I feel the same way. At first I thought it was just worded poorly, but the way the OP reacted to people bringing up that a poster had used a slur really rubbed me the wrong way.

HylianTom

Banned
It took forever, but I've trained family/friends/work to get used to the idea that I'll never be 24/7 connected.

But a very very few family members know that I always have my iPad in my backpack, if something truly serious comes up..

Aside:
I'm still continuing my yearly Twilight Zone marathon. There are some damn hot 1950s men.. yum!

I feel the same way. At first I thought it was just worded poorly, but the way the OP reacted to people bringing up that a poster had used a slur really rubbed me the wrong way.

I think Winterfang is either very young or extremely naive. Just the impression I've gotten from his posts in other threads.

EDIT: Apparently he's from the Caribbean, so it might just be a disconnect in cultures and not something intentional.

Golnei

You're not being unreasonable - the post was doing everything short of demanding non-normative sexuality to be re-registered into the DSM. Attitudes which demand anything slightly challenging to the straight white male 'default' to be justified into oblivion have to be interrogated at every turn regardless of their intent; otherwise you don't have a chance of changing widely held opinions for the better, or normalising the presence of those not matching that default.

someone tell me why st vincent is so amazing

It's the hair.

1_22_vincent_deacon.jpg

terrisus

It took forever, but I've trained family/friends/work to get used to the idea that I'll never be 24/7 connected.

But a very very few family members know that I always have my iPad in my backpack, if something truly serious comes up..

Yeah - I go days without checking my email, don't answer my phone, and take ages to respond to texts.

The best way to get in touch with me* is call and leave a message, that way I can listen to it without feeling pressure to respond right away, and go from there.

I've pretty much isolated myself anyway >.>

*Realistically, the best way to get in touch with me is on GAF >.>

Thanks everyone. I just wanted to post some hot video game dudes, but after I read the OP I was like NO THANKS. I probably shouldn't of bothered saying anything though.

But now I can't make another topic because that would be rude/awkward, so I have to wait for that one to peter out. :/

terrisus

Thanks everyone. I just wanted to post some hot video game dudes, but after I read the OP I was like NO THANKS. I probably shouldn't of bothered saying anything though.

But now I can't make another topic because that would be rude/awkward, so I have to wait for that one to peter out. :/

Hey - you can always post hot video game dudes here!

image.php

You're not being unreasonable. I rolled my eyes at that shit when I first saw it and didn't feel particularly welcome to posting pictures in it. God forbid I accidentally push an agenda or attack straightGAF with my posts. What a joke.

Like seriously, what the fuck at this:
So I advice against lewd or shock pictures for the sake of trolling straight guys

The fact that this was his fear is so incredible to me. What a ridiculous preconceived notion to be carrying around, as though all us LGBT+ people are just waiting to pounce on poor unsuspecting straight guys with lewd pictures and attack them.

Of course, despite his "I might make edits" comment he shows no interest in actually doing that, quelle surprise. It's not worth the time to post any thoughts in there since it's pretty clear how that'll go over.

Hey - you can always post hot video game dudes here!

image.php
Yeah, but look at all the gay gaffers that post in that thread that never post here. I feel like there are all these splintered groups. :(

Plus, I'm usually in the minority here in the Community Thread when it comes to expressing what/who I find hot. Not that it bothers me, but it was nice to see all these people going balls to the wall with their muscle love, and I wanted to join in, but I can't because of the pretext of the thread itself. (Which is why I find it surprising so many gay posters had no problem with what was said. Or that they didn't take the time to read it.)

But most of all, I'm just wasting my time hemming and hawing over one measly thread, and I really need to stop. XD

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The fact that this was his fear is so incredible to me. What a ridiculous preconceived notion to be carrying around, as though all us LGBT+ people are just waiting to pounce on poor unsuspecting straight guys with lewd pictures and attack them.

It's happened before. I don't remember the precise thread but there was a point where gaygaf took over it, and straight gaf couldn't do anything about it because they're liable to get banned if they countered with hot women pics. There's just ever so slightly more lenience for hot men pics because hot men can be hot without being too risque but hot women are a different matter.

Anyway that thread is dead now that the gaygaf shadow cabal has caught wind of it. I hope you guys realize the irony of this.

Kevyt

I read the thread and I was like "woah... what?" -__-

I agree with what you said though. I was gonna post there, but not anymore. But as terrisus said, we can post hot video game characters here! lol.

I'm going to PM you a response to this, just in case it's something I shouldn't say in a post (nothing particularly bad)

I'm curious to what your response is...

HylianTom

Banned
I do not go on Gaming Side very often.

Nu uh. No way.

I end-up biting my tongue to the point of tasting blood far too often. And I won't say much else, at the risk of getting my fanman ass banned.

i guess that's what i get for not reading OPs, I just didn't expect something that stupid. Thanks for letting us know <3

terrisus

Yeah, but look at all the gay gaffers that post in that thread that never post here. I feel like there are all these splintered groups. :(

Nah, I hear you.

Plus, I'm usually in the minority here in the Community Thread when it comes to expressing what/who I find hot. Not that it bothers me, but it was nice to see all these people going balls to the wall with their muscle love, and I wanted to join in

And I definitely hear you on that.

There was a thread recently on a preferred interest of mine, that got deleted (not just locked, but flat-out deleted) when people started posting pictures.

(Which is why I find it surprising so many gay posters had no problem with what was said. Or that they didn't take the time to read it.)

And, yes, with time you'll realize that most people don't actually read/process most longer posts >.>

Dany

Banned

Plus, I'm usually in the minority here in the Community Thread when it comes to expressing what/who I find hot. Not that it bothers me, but it was nice to see all these people going balls to the wall with their muscle love, and I wanted to join in, but I can't because of the pretext of the thread itself. (Which is why I find it surprising so many gay posters had no problem with what was said. Or that they didn't take the time to read it.)

But most of all, I'm just wasting my time hemming and hawing over one measly thread, and I really need to stop. XD

I did not read it, but now that I have, I am irritated.

I appreciate the support everyone, but please don't feel the need to add to my blundering.

There are tons of threads on GAF I don't agree with, and I should of just let this one alone.

Golnei

You shouldn't feel too bad about it; it might have been nice to see people contribute who ordinarily wouldn't have, but it's not worth legitimising the pretext the thread was created under. There'll be more opportunities in the future to try and promote that kind of discussion in a less awful context - look at the relative popularity of the OT you put together for Coming Out on Top, and the wider array of members who posted in it.

You're not being unreasonable. I rolled my eyes at that shit when I first saw it and didn't feel particularly welcome to posting pictures in it. God forbid I accidentally push an agenda or attack straightGAF with my posts. What a joke.

Like seriously, what the fuck at this:

Of course, despite his "I might make edits" comment he shows no interest in actually doing that, quelle surprise. It's not worth the time to post any thoughts in there since it's pretty clear how that'll go over.

It's just so ridiculously alienating - I couldn't come up with a better way to scream 'you don't belong here' if I tried.

Kevyt

I appreciate the support everyone, but please don't feel the need to add to my blundering.

There are tons of threads on GAF I don't agree with, and I should of just let this one alone.

I think it's okay to voice our discomfort. Not because we want to "dogpile" on someone, but because we want to tell them that what they are saying/writing comes off as particularly condescending and could have been said better, or for the lack of a better word "educate" folks in this kind of discussions. This applies in real life too. I remember saying some things during my gender studies class that were just, insensitive and judgmental to some, and my professor would gently, politely and eloquently explain to me what I had done wrong by saying what I said. It's one of those things where we can all learn from one another, and be better human beings. :D

I'm not in a position to make long posts at the moment so unfortunately I can't comment too much. I think he knew what he wanted to say in his mind, and messed up his phrasing disastrously. What I believe he wanted to suggest was that he wanted a thread free of serious discussion relating to social/political issues faced by LGBt individuals, and to avoid derogatory comments (or insults) in the thread, so that he could simply make a 'fun' thread for all. Unfortunately, his 'disclaimer' itself ended up insulting, either due to poor phrasing or an offensively-naive viewpoint. His later posts in response to yours did make him look worse yhough. His 'idea' is okay (i.e. lewd pictures do get threads locked) but his reasons were not (fear of LGBt individuals posting lewd pictures to troll Straight-GAF rather than finding them sexy, implying a hostile intent upon LGBt individuals).

daripad

lol didn't read OP there, now I feel dumb >.>

And so many people posted there, never thought that there were a whole lot more LGBT people here

And so many people posted there, never thought that there were a whole lot more LGBT people here

I know of quite a few LGBT people on GAF that don't post on here. People move on, lose interest, it just happens. I think when the thread got split up into a general thread, a coming out thread, it really made a mess of things. Now that the thread is in community, there is even less traffic compared to before.

daripad

I know of quite a few LGBT people on GAF that don't post on here. People move on, lose interest, it just happens. I think when the thread got split up into a general thread, a coming out thread, it really made a mess of things. Now that the thread is in community, there is even less traffic compared to before.

There was a coming out thread? Interesting. What was the escuse that mods used to split the thread like that? One of the main things that people talk in here is about coming out :/

AudioNoir

Banned

I didn't post pics, just some names of lovely pixel women. Sort of regret taking part now, cuz I sort of shrugged off the poorly worded OP at first :/ His replies to you made it all worse.

At first I figured it was just poor English, which is no biggie at all, but it does seem now that his general attitude toward LGBTQ* is a tad off.

Don't feel bad or apologize... I think you were in the right, personally, and handled it very well. This especially since you backed away when it became obvious that he wasn't hearing you whatsoever. It sucks to back down sometimes, but he had a wall up against civility, and resorting to insults or something more aggressive only would have discredited your side. You done good, sir.

Yeah...

And how am I supposed to become emperor of the GAF gays if you don't all unite under one banner? O_O

I didn't post pics, just some names of lovely pixel women. Sort of regret taking part now, cuz I sort of shrugged off the poorly worded OP at first :/ His replies to you made it all worse.

At first I figured it was just poor English, which is no biggie at all, but it does seem now that his general attitude toward LGBTQ* is a tad off.

Don't feel bad or apologize... I think you were in the right, personally, and handled it very well. This especially since you backed away when it became obvious that he wasn't hearing you whatsoever. It sucks to back down sometimes, but he had a wall up against civility, and resorting to insults or something more aggressive only would have discredited your side. You done good, sir.
Thanks. <3

It was just a weird situation overall. I'm glad though that it was resolved with no one getting in trouble or moderated.

terrisus

This is, I believe, the first ever "Community" thread I've joined.

I've posted in 2 other threads which started out on regular boards and got moved into Community (Nintendo Monthly Downloads and Parody Thread Urges), but they were both just regular threads when I started posting there.

Getting into a "Community" thread just seems like a daunting task >.>

This is, I believe, the first ever "Community" thread I've joined.

I've posted in 2 other threads which started out on regular boards and got moved into Community (Nintendo Monthly Downloads and Parody Thread Urges), but they were both just regular threads when I started posting there.

Getting into a "Community" thread just seems like a daunting task >.>
Well I'm glad you decided to pick this one to join. Couldn't find a more welcoming group of people if you tried. :)

Delio

Ah the days of Mega threads.

Golnei

Dojima is trash though
poor Nanako ;__;

When considered on the basis of personality, the only Persona characters I can stand are Ulala and Hitler. Any interest I have in Dojima is significantly more shallow.

Yeah...

And how am I supposed to become emperor of the GAF gays if you don't all unite under one banner? O_O

Thanks. <3

It was just a weird situation overall. I'm glad though that it was resolved with no one getting in trouble or moderated.

but I thought we were an anarcho-syndicalist commune

Kevyt

Well I've said it before and I'll say it again... Batman is the hottest male video game character imo...

He's a billionaire, he's the worlds best detective, he fights for justice and has a huge heart as he refuses to kill his enemies (although that sometimes can come back to haunt him). He is a muscle beefcake, very strong, agile, and extremely intelligent.

What else could you want in a guy? He's perfect!! <3

Those pecs, arms and stomach :3

Masamuna

Yeah with it being in the community forum it's harder not to lurk. I'll try to be more active though cause yall be awesome and stuff.

Does anyone ever get weird messages on Tumblr/social media? If I get one more anonymous tickle fetish question I think I will go crazy.

Well I've said it before and I'll say it again... Batman is the hottest male video game character imo...

He's a billionaire, he's the worlds best detective, he fights for justice and has a huge heart as he refuses to kill his enemies (although that sometimes can come back to haunt him). He is a muscle beefcake, very strong, agile, and extremely intelligent.

What else could you want in a guy? He's perfect!! <3

Those pecs, arms and stomach :3
I definitely appreciate the (Colt Studios era) gay porn star makeover Batman has gotten for the Arkham series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom