• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBTQIA Thread |OT5| Can't even drink straight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kater

Banned
its where we shame people for being too gay
You are the gay-est then, Ratsky. (^v^)

Wow!

I never imagined there would be an LGBTQIA thread in neogaf! This is amazing!!! :D

So I have no idea what to post about... hmm what are some LGBTQIA films that people like? My favorite ones are short films. I love short films, of just about anything.
Hello and welcome, leonidas!

My favourite LGBT(QIA) themed movie is I Killed My Mother (original title in french: J'ai tué ma mère) from Xavier Dolan.

Kevyt

You are the gay-est then, Ratsky. (^v^)

Hello and welcome, leonidas!

My favourite LGBT(QIA) themed movie is I Killed My Mother (original title in french: J'ai tué ma mère) from Xavier Dolan.

I saw that film recently! It was alright... I took five years of French and taking French right now in college and it was very difficult trying to understand. The Quebecois accent is very strong and difficult for me. I had to watch with subtitles. But a great film nonetheless. My only other issue is that the main character screams too much or in other words, he talks very loud and fast. Which got annoying after a while. I definitely enjoyed the plot though.

Kater

Banned
I saw that film recently! It was alright... I took five years of French and taking French right now in college and it was very difficult trying to understand. The Quebecois accent is very strong and difficult for me. I had to watch with subtitles. But a great film nonetheless. My only other issue is that the main character screams too much or in other words, he talks very loud and fast. Which got annoying after a while. I definitely enjoyed the plot though.
The protagonist character is a bit hysterical, yes. I can forgive him that, given that he is a teenager and faces some real challenges (parents, bullying, etc).

I watched it in French as well but with English Subtitles because I barely understand the language in general.

my tumblr blog has 975 pages

i think i need to rethink some of my life decisions
I know these feels.
ibx7ugobsT5eSz.png

I saw that movie recently (well, a month or so ago), and it was pretty enjoyable. Like others have said, the main character can be a bit loud and scream-y sometimes which is a little annoying, but I suppose it's understandable given his relationship with his mother.

There was another gay-themed movie I saw around that time as well that I liked. I can't remember the name, but it was basically about a guy going to some training camp (maybe to be a police officer iirc) and he starts developing feelings for this guy there. But the main character has a wife and he struggles with it. Both main actors are pretty cute together. :p

I don't like a lot of gay movies. They're often incredibly amateurish with gratuitous sex. But I really liked Saved! with Mandy Moore, Maculay Culkin and Jenny Malone. Though its really a movie about anyone who has been outcast for being different. And it conveys the message in a funny way without being preachy or holier than thou about it.

Hillary Faye: I am FILLED with Christ's love! *throws Bible at Mary

Mary: *turns around and picks up the Bible* This isn't a weapon, you idiot. *shakes head in disbelief, walks away*

Grizzo

I don't like a lot of gay movies. They're often incredibly amateurish with gratuitous sex. But I really liked Saved! with Mandy Moore, Maculay Culkin and Jenny Malone. Though its really a movie about anyone who has been outcast for being different. And it conveys the message in a funny way without being preachy or holier than thou about it.

Mary: *turns around and picks up the Bible* This isn't a weapon, you idiot. *shakes head in disbelief, walks away*

I just want to say I'm glad you're not banned anymore, EG. I was afraid it would be permanent.

HylianTom

Banned
My favorite gay movie and one of the best in the genre is Beautiful Thing.
YES. A hundred times yes.

We went on a road trip to see it in the theater back when it came out here in the states. Damn good date movie, or just in general. The scene in the woods gets me every time.

And Mama Cass..! *sigh*

Grizzo

Thanks, guys. Thats always nice to hear. Why'd you think it was a perm ban? I don't think I post anything that bad.

You can never be sure with GAF, one of your post could have been interpreted the wrong way and boom! Once is enough! Even though, yeah, I should have known better, haha.

Kevyt

LGBTQIA Thread |OT5| Our livers can't even drink straight

*bi-est

#StopTheBiErasure

BiErasure is very interesting. Last week in my class we had a whole discussion about it. It's a very interesting topic.

I saw that movie recently (well, a month or so ago), and it was pretty enjoyable. Like others have said, the main character can be a bit loud and scream-y sometimes which is a little annoying, but I suppose it's understandable given his relationship with his mother.

There was another gay-themed movie I saw around that time as well that I liked. I can't remember the name, but it was basically about a guy going to some training camp (maybe to be a police officer iirc) and he starts developing feelings for this guy there. But the main character has a wife and he struggles with it. Both main actors are pretty cute together. :p

The one you're talking about is called Free Fall I think, released in 2013 with main actors Hanno Koffler and Max Riemalt... I need to see that one.

My favorite gay movie and one of the best in the genre is Beautiful Thing.

This is the first time I've heard of it and it looks good! Gonna watch it.

Yeah some films can be very amateurish but some area really well done. It also depends on your tastes. I used to prefer big budget well developed films, but I've been watching a lot of indie films and shorts and I can tell that there's a lot good small budget films out there. One of them was Judas Kiss... the acting was very weak and not convincing, some of the camera shots and plot decisions are questionable but overall it was okay. Especially the whole plot and the idea of being able to change your past. Another one was the Geography club, pretty much suffers from a small budget, not a lot of character development and questionable decisions by the director. Lots of people who have read the book felt the film didn't do justice. I would agree but the characters were like-able. Somewhat believable and interesting. For me it takes two things to watch a whole film; if the plot is interesting, and/or if the characters are interesting. For shorts, I've watched a lot and forgot their name but one of them is 13 Minutes or So. It has a lot of dialogue and the film is about 13 minutes long. Anyways it was very well done, it was also an award winning short film. One of the actors looks a bit like James Franco, lol.

Another one of my favorite shorts is Only Always You. I like the music, some of the camera shots and the constant switching between them. It's also somewhat creepy, sweet and sad. It was done in two days by two people. It's a great indie short.

You can never be sure with GAF, one of your post could have been interpreted the wrong way and boom! Once is enough! Even though, yeah, I should have known better, haha.

That's what I'm afraid of. I try to stay away from topics that I know I have a strong opinion about so that I will not write something that can come off as hostile and be banned. I see a lot of old threads and a lot of members in it that were banned and most of the time I see that their comments are of sarcastic nature, jokingly or something that they felt very strongly about. Anyways I'll avoid at all cost being sarcastic. But it's scary even more because a lot of juniors get banned, more frequently I would say.

HylianTom

Banned
One "gay movie" that I'd consider must-see has to be Jeffrey, if only for Patrick Stewart's amazing performance.

It had been about a decade since I'd seen it, so I watched it a few months ago, and came away with a few big takeaways:
1) it 's a very "90s" movie, in style, subject matter, etc.
2) impressive cameos

But yeah.. you'll end-up wanting to quote Stewart's character after you've seen it. It's quite a memorable performance, and you can tell that he had fun with it.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
my tumblr blog has 975 pages

I don't even use that service outside of "retweeting" pictures. I still don't get the point of it that other blogging services can't do better. Maybe I'm just a dinosaur.

YES. A hundred times yes.

We went on a road trip to see it in the theater back when it came out here in the states. Damn good date movie, or just in general. The scene in the woods gets me every time.

And Mama Cass..! *sigh*

The soundtrack is amazing. I feel so old now watching it again, but it had an impact on me as a gay teenager. Love it so much.

HylianTom

Banned
The soundtrack is amazing. I feel so old now watching it again, but it had an impact on me as a gay teenager. Love it so much.
Yup!

It came out right when I got away from home and was away in college, so it was the first movie I had ever seen where love between two guys was depicted positively. I remember that I felt awkward crying at first, but realized that I wasn't the only one in tears. Definitely had a good effect.

Had an horrible day but I can't really pull off the Drama Queen persona so I'll smash my pains away. :(

I can see some people as obsessed as me *coughartcough* with the game though.

I really need to get a new PS3 for P4AU ~~

Ty4on

Me neither. I'll have a drink or so per month, on average. Alcohol is mainly a nightcap for aiding sleep, as far as my use is concerned.

Haha, I just cracked a beer because it's late and F1 starts 8 in the morning :p

I am also listening to old dance music though...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom