• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII |OT| Toriyama's Bizarre Adventure

TheGrue

I'm really enjoying this game, but one annoying thing I ran into was Hope stepping over his various lines over and over again. Was going through a section in Yusnaan and I kept hitting trigger points in conversation, but you keep moving forward (especially since time is important) and before he would finish the last thing he was saying, he'd say something else, and to make it worse he would then step over that with his annoying reminder speech. I don't get bothered often by games, but it just made that section so chaotic.

Shahed

They drop from monsters. You can't buy them but you can buy other garbs that have their own default abilities on them. I had a few "Attack" to equip before the end of the first day. It all depends on your luck with drops I guess.

You don't necessarily need to use "Attack" by the way. I think of my three now, I only have have "Attack" on one of them. I use magic and other offensive abilities for the other two garbs.

Yeah I know. The garbs and the weapons the come with them seem overpowered for now, so I could get by easily enough. Just seems weird having only Thunder in her XIII garb, and Blizzard on XIII-2!

Carbonox

All canvas and side quests done now apart from the Aeronite and 'beat all last ones' ones. The former I will probably do in NG+ when I'm stronger and the latter I guess I can finish off when I do the ultimate dungeon.

Still have 4 days left. :lol Guess I'll just farm and boost my abilities during this time...

frequency

Yeah I know. The garbs and the weapons the come with them seem overpowered for now, so I could get by easily enough. Just seems weird having only Thunder in her XIII garb, and Blizzard on XIII-2!

Haha, yes. The beginning was really weird for me too until I got more abilities.

That ability on the Cloud garb is so good early game!

Aw man, that
TEXT TO DISGUISE SPOILER Caius
boss fight. I loved it, and I'll be using that weapon exclusively until the end now.

I'm on the 6th day and just finished the 5 main quests. I've done a done of side quests and surely-more-than-enough Canvas quests (I mainly just go to the board after I've explored an area to hand in whatever I've collected.)

I'm only on Chapter 1 in Luxerion, and just got the 4th number of the Etro code. I have have damn near quit this game twice. I'm finding the story easy to follow so far, and the combat is growing on me. However, some of these side quests are infuriating to the point that I don't want to continue. It's not that bad, but seeing other threads on here talking about events that happen later in the game are giving me hope.

Shinta

Banned
I'm only on Chapter 1 in Luxerion, and just got the 4th number of the Etro code. I have have damn near quit this game twice. I'm finding the story easy to follow so far, and the combat is growing on me. However, some of these side quests are infuriating to the point that I don't want to continue. It's not that bad, but seeing other threads on here talking about events that happen later in the game are giving me hope.

It gets better. Luxerion on day 1 basically has the least monster of any time in the game, so you have the least access to easy chronostasis abuse. There's a few side quests right off the bat that don't give you any tips, like the carbuncle doll and so on.

Later quests are still vague, but provide more hints than that. And the other areas of the game are definitely worth seeing before you quit.

There might be a side quest walkthrough online at this point somewhere. Gamefaqs usually rushes to put one up. I haven't checked any of these though, I'm using the official one.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps3/681990-lightning-returns-final-fantasy-xiii/faqs

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
I got to Yusnaan, such a beautiful city. I don't understand why luxerion looks so ugly compared to any other area in the game.

I'm enjoying the time constraint. Keeps the game moving at a fast pace.

Sure, I like it on the first go because... well, I agree. However, I still feel like the mechanic clashes with numerous other things about the game, such as the large environments begging to be explored and so on. Honestly, it would have worked better in a more linear game like the original before Gran Pulse I think. In this game, the environments are way, way bigger than they needed to be, especially portions of the Dead Dunes.

That being said I do like the time restraint, again, for the first go because
you're being rushed by Bhunivelze himself with him dangling Serah in front of you, and that gives him this awesome villainous quality that makes me just want to beat his ass to oblivion, and it gives this overall final act of the XIII story a quicker pace that truly feels like you're trying to save people before the end of the world
, but again I do think at least the option to play the game without it would be nice.

OK.

I've done all the main quests, including sazh one (Not sure if thats optional or not? but did it anyway)

and i checked a guide which says side quests are worth
1star 0.02
2 star 0.04
3 star 0.08

and you must add up to "1.00"

so i've done that.. i'm at 1.24.

I'm on day 7.. so should i just keep staying in inns to speed up the days until the end? or is it worth doing the extra side missions?

Shinta

Banned
OK.

I've done all the main quests, including sazh one (Not sure if thats optional or not? but did it anyway)

and i checked a guide which says side quests are worth
1star 0.02
2 star 0.04
3 star 0.08

and you must add up to "1.00"

so i've done that.. i'm at 1.24.

I'm on day 7.. so should i just keep staying in inns to speed up the days until the end? or is it worth doing the extra side missions?

I'd definitely save first. That formula isn't exact apparently. Missions will get you stat boosts and more points for the ending, so, up to you!

Perfo

Just a curiousity of mine, once you fail to save the world because days end, you get the chance to switch difficulty too with a new start? My friend is having difficulties at normal so that might help.

PS: a cute snapshot of Luxerion
1655865_10201839628937810_2075573162_n.jpg

Carbonox

Cactuar farming = fuck ton of gil (10k). Made like 140,000gil over the last half hour including the Cactuar Omega (he's a little bitch btw as he flies at you straight off the bat with 1,000 needles, elementa, etc. in quick succession). I wonder what their gil drop is on harder difficulties/NG+.

Nothing and I mean NOTHING but Cactuars appeared for me in the lighthouse area. I'd have thought that this would be normal but then I haven't made anything extinct in the Dead Dunes so it's rather odd that I had nothing but them appear in this particular segment of the map. Unless it IS normal.

ANyway, go gil farm there for a bit to extinction if you want an easy 340k (30 cactuars and one Omega).

rataven

I'm not super far in the game yet (still on Day 2) but I've already defeated my first Last One and I feel bad about it. No more little blue mini flans shall ever roam the fields of The Wildlands thanks to me. :(

And maybe I'm just not far enough yet or I've missed something, but the game never explained this mechanic to me. I only dug into it after the trophy popped. And now I'm thinking I really hope Reavers aren't on the verge as well, because farming them for EP pretty much means you can spend however long you want on The Wildlands and I have been slaughtering them like crazy so I can run around exploring and treasure hunting.

Holy crap i steeled myself for a less then stellar experience but nothing could have prepared me for the massive amount of suck that this game is.

ezekial45

Banned
How the hell do you beat Noel? I'm hammering him with thunder damage the best I can with my red mage using deshell, but it's taking so long.

Honestly, I feel so underpowered I looked at videos online and I see other people have health over 8-12K HP. I don't know what i'm doing wrong.

Toth

How the hell do you beat Noel? I'm hammering him with thunder damage the best I can with my red mage using deshell, but it's taking so long.

Honestly, I feel so underpowered I looked at videos online and I see other people have health over 8-12K HP. I don't know what i'm doing wrong.

I steamrolled him with Passion Rouge with Deprotect/shell and Thunder. I put Sparkstrike on my Sentinel (Silent Guardian) and spammed that in between. Once staggered, I Overdrived with Soldier of Peace and spammed Artemis Arrow (though Heavy Strike will probably work well w/o it). You can also buy an enthunder potion from the Wildlands to speed things up.

Carbonox

In my next run I'm going to leave Noel and the Yusnaan bosses until much later cos I want to experience their
alternate forms

Paches

So am I supposed to have a ton of leftover time? I am on Day 4 and
I have already completed the Main Quest Yusnaan and Luxerion and I have beat the Dead Dunes Main Quest and inside the Temple of the Goddess or whatever in the Wildlands in the same day (have about 5 hours left in it). I just keep spamming Chronostatsis and also have a bunch of side quests and Canvas quests completed. It seems like I am going to easily complete everything well before the time limit. Is this everyone else's experience?

Carbonox

So am I supposed to have a ton of leftover time? I am on Day 4 and
I have already completed the Main Quest Yusnaan and Luxerion and I have beat the Dead Dunes Main Quest and inside the Temple of the Goddess or whatever in the Wildlands in the same day (have about 5 hours left in it). I just keep spamming Chronostatsis and also have a bunch of side quests and Canvas quests completed. It seems like I am going to easily complete everything well before the time limit. Is this everyone else's experience?

Yeah seems to be a common occurrence for many people. Myself included. Just use the remaining time to farm gil/abilities if you're in to that sort of thing. Nothing wrong with upgrading abilities before you take on the last stuff. It's what I'm doing in preparation for the Ultimate Dungeon and the final chapter.

squall211

What day are you on? I believe if you fight him after a certain day Noel ends up on steroids.

Adaren

This is just my way of going about things, but I think I used something like:

Physical attack garb with Sparkstrike
Defense garb with (Heavy) Block, debuffs, and Light Slash (to maintain Stagger if you're out of ATB)
Magic Garb with Thunder and Thundara.

I'd recommend using the Magic Garb to keep your distance, then switch to the Defense garb when he starts running at you. A perfect block will also drive his stagger meter way up, and most of his attacks are much slower than you'd expect.

Keep trying!

I went back to 13-2 to compare the frame rate in that game is way worse for me than in LR

I feel the same. XIII-2 chugs hard whenever the camera gets close to a character, and the scene near the opening where Serah's clothes change runs at an offensive frame rate. The only place where the frame rate gets distractingly bad (imo) in LR is the main field in Wildlands, but XIII-2 also lagged through all of Academia.

I just wish they had taken all of the low-res plants out of the Wildlands field...the frame rate would probably be so much better...

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Does anyone have a quick way of killing Earth Eaters? It takes me forever to stagger them (easily 15 min (real time) a fight). I'm trying Aero-ga and my strongest wind spells but they're not working. Is they're something else I should be doing?

Adaren

Does anyone have a quick way of killing Earth Eaters? It takes me forever to stagger them (easily 15 min (real time) a fight). I'm trying Aero-ga and my strongest wind spells but they're not working. Is they're something else I should be doing?

Hm. I don't have Aeroga, but perhaps its high ATB cost makes it have a poor Stagger/ATB ratio?

I would pummel them constantly with Aero and Galestrike when I fought them and they'd Stagger fairly quickly (after which you can apply debuffs to them). Definitely wasn't a 15 minute fight, so maybe you could give lower level spells a shot!

If I were to fight them now, I'd probably use the garb with Aero+, but I can't recall what the name is right now. It's a camouflage skirt and top...

Carbonox

I use Thunder+ (exclusive to Electronica). One and a quarter worth of ATB bar Thunder spam and the guy staggers. I use the Electronica garb as well which doesn't have any special stagger qualities. If you want, I'd imagine using the -ra spells would be just as decent but the -ga spells - whilst being good at raising stagger - are so slow to charge. 3 of my Thunders measure up to being more powerful than one Thundaga AND with less ATB bar requirement. Battles take less than a minute for me, if even that.

Try the above instead and see if it works for you.

Rizzi

The combat in the demo was cool.
Combat was what I hated about XIII and XIII-2, so that's good.
I wonder if I can still get a Cloud Strife costume though. Want that.

Shinta

Banned
The combat in the demo was cool.
Combat was what I hated about XIII and XIII-2, so that's good.
I wonder if I can still get a Cloud Strife costume though. Want that.

You might check wal-mart. I saw some with it included. That was on launch day though.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Hm. I don't have Aeroga, but perhaps its high ATB cost makes it have a poor Stagger/ATB ratio?

I would pummel them constantly with Aero and Galestrike when I fought them and they'd Stagger fairly quickly (after which you can apply debuffs to them). Definitely wasn't a 15 minute fight, so maybe you could give lower level spells a shot!

If I were to fight them now, I'd probably use the garb with Aero+, but I can't recall what the name is right now. It's a camouflage skirt and top...

I use Thunder+ (exclusive to Electronica). One and a quarter worth of ATB bar Thunder spam and the guy staggers. I use the Electronica garb as well which doesn't have any special stagger qualities. If you want, I'd imagine using the -ra spells would be just as decent but the -ga spells - whilst being good at raising stagger - are so slow to charge. 3 of my Thunders measure up to being more powerful than one Thundaga AND with less ATB bar requirement. Battles take less than a minute for me, if even that.

Try the above instead and see if it works for you.
d

Ok, thanks guys. I will try switching to Electronica for my magic garb (don't think I have the Aero+ garb yet) and see if that goes a bit faster.

Perfo

I went back to 13-2 to compare the frame rate in that game is way worse for me than in LR

Framerate in Dead Dunes and Yusnaan is very good and stable, while is less than good in Luxerion and Wild Lands. But overall I'm not even noticing, I'm used to play 20-30fps games in this whole gen from start to end. I mean, Mass Effect 3 runs way worse than this for example.

Bladenic

Finally started playing. The cat in Luxerion who gives a quest is lifted straight outta the N64 era. Yikes.

I feel like a cheater or OP, I'm using FFXIII-2 outfit, Cloud, and Lara and I feel bad for not using the in game schemes. Might try to use Red Mage cuz it looks dope. I wanna use X-2 Yuna too.

rataven

I wish the moogles were voiced in something like an Animal Crossing babble language rather than English, because they're really cute but dear god their voices make me long for an option to have Lightning feed them to her chocobo.

eXistor

Such a cool game, I'm having a blast with it for the most part, it just ticks the right boxes for me.

I wish the moggles were voiced in something like an Animal Crossing babble language rather than English, because they're really cute but dear god their voices make me long for an option to have Lightning feed them to her chocobo.
The way they nonchalantly add "kupo" to their sentences is seriously grating. The side-quest where Lightning has to find the 3 lost Moogles is fun though, it made me respect Lightning a bit more.

Falk

that puzzling face
I wish the moggles were voiced in something like an Animal Crossing babble language rather than English, because they're really cute but dear god their voices make me long for an option to have Lightning feed them to her chocobo.

This really is another thing that just doesn't culturally translate well, and I hope some bright mind finds an elegant way to address it going forward.

It's like a cat character saying "meow" with every sentence, which linguistically just sounds a dozen times more awkward than the japanese "nyan" equivalent. It doesn't come off cute, it comes off dead annoying.

Some of Mog's extended dialogue sequences in XIII-2 made me get up and take a stroll.

Zoe

This really is another thing that just doesn't culturally translate well, and I hope some bright mind finds an elegant way to address it going forward.

It's like a cat character saying "meow" with every sentence, which linguistically just sounds a dozen times more awkward than the japanese "nyan" equivalent. It doesn't come off cute, it comes off dead annoying.

Some of Mog's extended dialogue sequences in XIII-2 made me get up and take a stroll.

Seriously. I'm so glad I never had to sit through the "blahblahblah............................... kupo" lines.

They really just need to drop the sentence-ending 'kupo" and keep it as a sound effect.

Balphon

Ok, thanks guys. I will try switching to Electronica for my magic garb (don't think I have the Aero+ garb yet) and see if that goes a bit faster.

The vendor in Wildlands who sells electronica should also have the Aero+ garb (Woodland Walker), so you may want to go back for it.

That said, I had one garb with Aero and another with Icestorm and they staggered pretty quickly from just constantly using those.

nOoblet16

Man I don't mind entire game having a time limit (like in Dead Rising 3) but having main quests as well as side quests revolve around time is bullshit ! I loved XIII and XIII-2 but I don't know if I can enjoy this game with a time limit on even the main quest.

Take the quest where you have to get 10 fireworks for example, I have to run across the whole map to get them and I missed out on the first two, I know I can buy them off the chocobo girls but for that I apparently need to find a poster which is God knows where (probably in the area where the quest started), how am I suppose to know about this with no cues other than, "Just try to find something around". How am I suppose to "ask around" especially when I only have half an hour of in game time to get to the places to get the fireworks?

It's annoying, am I doing something wrong or missing something here?

EDIT: Apparently I need to use chronostasis but still ,don't have enough EP to use it more than once.

Shinta

Banned
Man I don't mind entire game having a time limit (like in Dead Rising 3) but having main quests as well as side quests revolve around time is bullshit ! I loved XIII and XIII-2 but I don't know if I can enjoy this game with a time limit on even the main quest.

Take the quest where you have to get 10 fireworks for example, I have to run across the whole map to get them and I missed out on the first two, I know I can buy them off the chocobo girls but for that I apparently need to find a poster which is God knows where (probably in the area where the quest started), how am I suppose to know about this with no cues other than, "Just try to find something around". How am I suppose to "ask around" especially when I only have half an hour of in game time to get to the places to get the fireworks?

It's annoying, am I doing something wrong or missing something here?

EDIT: Apparently I need to use chronostasis but still ,don't have enough EP to use it more than once.

1) Chronostasis
2) Save before starting, find them then reload your save and do it again
3) Use a guide

Yes, the side quests are very vague. It can be aggravating if you don't use one of the above 3 methods. But with those used, it is pretty awesome.

Self-quoting because I'm a lazy bum.

I work with the Video Game Orchestra. I'm not going to deny that even prior to this gig I was quite the die hard XIII fanatic but I am not directly affiliated with Square Enix, and we have recorded for quite a few other games as well, like God Eater 2, Ace Combat 3D (Bandai Namco) and some NDA'd stuff for Basiscape, etc. VGO and SQEX have a very good working relationship, of course.

I should probably reiterate my opinion that all work bias aside I found LRFF13 to be an enjoyable, albeit undercooked experience. Perhaps that's the part of me who already got spoiled on the story 6 months prior and knew to not take things too seriously, but I'd both recommend this game to friends, and yet totally understand if they were waiting for a price drop.

That's pretty cool dude. And your pretty open about it so I don't really feel that your biased in any meaningful way.

It's natural to want to be protective of the things you (or I) have worked on. You put blood, sweat and tears into a project so people who make the product should be proud of what they've done.

That being said there's also a point (talking about Toriyama now. ;P) when you need to move on. When you get push back from a large portion of your fanbase you don't push back. You take their concerns and complaints and try not to replicate them in your next game.

I once made a game I was super proud of (not going to name the game). We had quite a few people who liked it but most did not. I felt a little hurt that more people hated it than liked it but I had the decision to do one of two things: make a sequel despite what people think or take this experience and move on to a more promising project where I try to not fall into the same pitfalls. I went with the later. Toriyama went with the former.

You give your consumers and fans what they want. Not to try and make them like something. It's counterproductive in my view and hurts your brand.

Anyways enough about my rant. Huge props to you man. Music is one of the better things in LR so I must give credit and praise where they are due. :)

Lightning, you have to return to the Ark every day at 6:00 a.m.
Light, just a reminder, you have to return to the Ark every day at 6:00 a.m.
You do realize that you have to return to the Ark every day at 6:00 a.m., don't you?
Light, you must return to the Ark every day at 6:00 a.m. because something something distortion.
At 6:00 a.m. every day you must return to the Ark.
Light, you were able to escape from that battle... but it cost you an hour of time.
Careful, Light. Escaping that battle cost you an entire hour.
You have half an hour until you must return to the Ark, remember?
Light, you don't look so good.
Light, you have one hour until you have to return to the Ark.

ZIvI15Z.gif

The pink huge sword you receive after killing the last behemoth in the wild lands right? is there any specific time?

I just got it yesterday. No specific time, seemingly. Though I did it before noon. There are a fuck-ton of those things that spawn in the narrow canyons to the east/northeast of the map. That place where there are a lot of ruins (and one of the Yuel flowers). I was just farming them up there.

ironcreed

Banned
I'm enjoying the time constraint. Keeps the game moving at a fast pace.

I see exactly what they were going for. It just works against having an open world that invites you to take your time. But that is about my only major gripe with the game. It's fun to play and I love the customization. That is enough to get my money's worth out of it.

Top Bottom