• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII |OT| Toriyama's Bizarre Adventure

Gaz_RB

About the behemoth sword:

Secret Dungeon
If you don't feel like killing all those behemoths, all the Last One Monsters are located in the secret 14th day dungeon, and drop their respective items as well.

Shinta

Banned
About the behemoth sword:

Secret Dungeon
If you don't feel like killing all those behemoths, all the Last One Monsters are located in the secret 14th day dungeon, and drop their respective items as well.

I think there are actually only 30 reavers!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Oh really? Man, I wish it told you the number in the bestiary.

Yes. Thumb rule, almost 100% consistently:

Big enemies (Reaver, Cylcops etc): 30 kills
Half big enemies: 60 kills
Small size enemies: 100 kills

Exceptions:
Vali and Hanuman share combined total of 100 kills.
Neela, Wendigo and Sugriva share combined total of 30 kills.
Arcangeli needs 30 kills.
Chimera needs 15 kills.
Cactuar needs 30 kills.

Now that people have had some time with it, I have a question.

I am a big fan of FFX-2.
There's something about dress spheres and changing jobs in the middle of combat that has always appealed to me.

I hated FFXIII.
Hated it. Gave it every chance it could ever need, but hated it. I didn't hate the battle system, just everything else about the game including every character but Sazh, Snow, and (for whatever reason) Vanille. Semi-relevant, I was never a big fan of FFX either, but I still enjoyed X-2. I only ever tried the demo of XIII-2.

I did try the demo for LR. I thought it was meh, but I saw a lot of potential customization that was being held out of reach.

Given this info: should I take the plunge on this Lightning Returns?

Mesharey

I just got it yesterday. No specific time, seemingly. Though I did it before noon. There are a fuck-ton of those things that spawn in the narrow canyons to the east/northeast of the map. That place where there are a lot of ruins (and one of the Yuel flowers). I was just farming them up there.
Good, thanks!

Balphon

Oh really? Man, I wish it told you the number in the bestiary.

Yeah. The datalog even suggests that the game does tell you in the bestiary even though it's nowhere to be found. However, on your first playthrough you can approximate how many you've killed by looking at how many of the monster's basic drop you have in your inventory, as each enemy will always drop 1 of their respective item, and you'll probably only be missing those you turned in for quests (unless you sold them).

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I did try the demo for LR. I thought it was meh, but I saw a lot of potential customization that was being held out of reach.

Given this info: should I take the plunge on this Lightning Returns?
Yes. I spent 8 hours before even reaching day 2 in the game because I spent so long min-maxing garbs and abilities in the menus. LOTS of customization, you'll like it.

rataven

Yes. Thumb rule, almost 100% consistently:

Big enemies (Reaver): 30 kills

Oh man, that's all it takes?? These guys are on the brink of extinction then. I've been using them to keep my EP up so I can take my time in The Wildlands.

It's pretty dumb that we did not get any kind of mandatory primer on the extinction system. I didn't even know this was a feature of the gameplay until I beat my first Last One. I mean, the game forces us into a tutorial on how to buy a potion, for christ's sake but nothing on managing and preserving the world's fauna.

Shinta

Banned
Oh man, that's all it takes?? These guys are on the brink of extinction then. I've been using them to keep my EP up so I can take my time in The Wildlands.

It's pretty dumb that we did not get any kind of mandatory primer on the extinction system. I didn't even know this was a feature of the gameplay until I beat my first Last One. I mean, the game forces us into a tutorial on how to buy a potion, for christ's sake but nothing on managing and preserving the world's fauna.

They have a tutorial in the datalog, but you have to look at it. Since humans can't have kids anymore and no new life is born, the same thing happens to monsters too, and they go extinct.

rataven

They have a tutorial in the datalog, but you have to look at it. Since humans can't have kids anymore and no new life is born, the same thing happens to monsters too, and they go extinct.

Yeah, I went looking for it in the datalog after the trophy popped, but it really should have been something they highlighted right off the bat in a primer, especially since other elements of the gameplay depend on it.

And I get that there are story reasons for their extinction, but we're talking about monster enemies that spawn randomly and then disappear if you run out of range, while different enemies can spawn if you run back into it. They're not programmed to behave like NPCs, for instance. Not to mention that the notion goes against what we've come to expect from enemy spawns in the first two games.

I know it probably sounds like I'm flipping out about it and I'm really not, I only find it odd that something this important to the gameplay didn't get any more emphasis than a datalog entry you have to manually seek out. I know I personally don't reference the gameplay mechanics in the datalog unless I have a specific question. But with this, I didn't even know it existed in order to question it.

ezekial45

Banned
I steamrolled him with Passion Rouge with Deprotect/shell and Thunder. I put Sparkstrike on my Sentinel (Silent Guardian) and spammed that in between. Once staggered, I Overdrived with Soldier of Peace and spammed Artemis Arrow (though Heavy Strike will probably work well w/o it). You can also buy an enthunder potion from the Wildlands to speed things up.

I've only gotten 1 new class, which is the red mage. Should I head elsewhere to get some new gear and such?

What day are you on? I believe if you fight him after a certain day Noel ends up on steroids.

This is on the third day. I only have about 5 hours to figure out a solution before I get sent back to the Ark. I didn't think i'd be stuck in such a position.

This is just my way of going about things, but I think I used something like:

Physical attack garb with Sparkstrike
Defense garb with (Heavy) Block, debuffs, and Light Slash (to maintain Stagger if you're out of ATB)
Magic Garb with Thunder and Thundara.

I'd recommend using the Magic Garb to keep your distance, then switch to the Defense garb when he starts running at you. A perfect block will also drive his stagger meter way up, and most of his attacks are much slower than you'd expect.

Keep trying!

Thanks, I'm gonna try to switch around my skills. The Dark Muse is the only one that can use Sparkstrike, but I switched that out for Red Mage and the Despell skill.

I feel really terrible at this game. Only barely managed to defeat the Shadow Hunter

Felt the same way but eventually you get used to everything... mostly.

I think the key to this game is Chronostasis. The game treats it like using it is such a big deal to the point where newcomers are afraid to even open the menu that it's located in, but honestly the penalty for spamming it is borderline irrelevant. You lose 1 EP per use, big deal, just get in a fight or two and get it back.

Reavers hand out like 2 EP per battle and they're not too hard, but that's not until a bit later in the game. I'm honestly surprised Hope doesn't make any comments each and every time you use it.

Adaren

Man I don't mind entire game having a time limit (like in Dead Rising 3) but having main quests as well as side quests revolve around time is bullshit ! I loved XIII and XIII-2 but I don't know if I can enjoy this game with a time limit on even the main quest.

Take the quest where you have to get 10 fireworks for example, I have to run across the whole map to get them and I missed out on the first two, I know I can buy them off the chocobo girls but for that I apparently need to find a poster which is God knows where (probably in the area where the quest started), how am I suppose to know about this with no cues other than, "Just try to find something around". How am I suppose to "ask around" especially when I only have half an hour of in game time to get to the places to get the fireworks?

It's annoying, am I doing something wrong or missing something here?

EDIT: Apparently I need to use chronostasis but still ,don't have enough EP to use it more than once.

For firework locations:
the posters that have the secret words for the chocobo girls are pretty much everywhere. There are only 4 or 5 different types of posters in Yusnaan, and I wouldn't be surprised if every major section of the city has at least one chocobo girl poster.

Furthermore, the quest mentions a fireworks vendor. If you seek him out, he'll give you a quick quest that rewards 7 fireworks.

Two tips for doing side quests and managing time:
1. Talk to people, examine objects, and reread quest descriptions to see if you missed any details. The game gives you hints fairly often in the city zones.
2. If you don't have enough EP to regularly Chronostasis, it means you're either skipping fights or spending your EP on other things. Don't! Unless you have a good reason not to, fight every fight you come across, and heal using Potions/restaurants instead of Curaga. Overclock usually isn't worth it.

Koozek

How can I find a fight where I get 3 or more status ailments for the "A Testing Proposition" quest for the alchemist in Yusnaan?^^

Carbonox

Ereshkegal, pls. Fell like a bitch and Poison DECIMATES it. That, on top of getting it to a level 4 stagger and wailing away at it hardcore, makes him far easier than I imagined. You will need items though, that's definite. :lol

Gonna leave Aeronite for my NG+ run though. He's supposed to be waaaaaay tougher.

So about how many sidequests do I need to do to unlock the extra day? I'm about to start day 7, and I'm sitting at 50 sidequests complete, and maybe 55 Canvas quests.

Shinta

Banned
So about how many sidequests do I need to do to unlock the extra day? I'm about to start day 7, and I'm sitting at 50 sidequests complete, and maybe 55 Canvas quests.

There's only 65 in the game, and I think 80-90 canvas quests. With as much time as you have left, you should be able to get a great portion of them.

The formula people cite isn't 100% precise apparently.

There's only 65 in the game, and I think 80-90 canvas quests. With as much time as you have left, you should be able to get a great portion of them.

Wow, I'm starting to run out of shit to do, then. XD Hope some more quests pop up.

On what day does the story start moving again? I don't wanna spend the next couple of in-game days just wandering about sidequesting. Does anything new open up in the meantime?

Gaz_RB

Wow, I'm starting to run out of shit to do, then. XD Hope some more quests pop up.

On what day does the story start moving again? I don't wanna spend the next couple of in-game days just wandering about sidequesting. Does anything new open up in the meantime?
Well some appear after you've done the 5 main quests.... But other than that....day 13 haha

Bladenic

Shadow Hunter was super easy.

But Jesus Christ some of the texture work is so horrific. I'm embarrassed for SE.

And so far story wise, just ugh. So many weird character inconsistencies.
Noel doesn't even mention Serah once.

Lightning's kind of a bitch, as usual.

Best thing so far story wise, or even at all, is Lumina. "Buzz off Hope" YES THANK YOU HOPE SHUT THE FUCK UP.

Oh and the music is really good. Love the South Station Luxerion music. Though it kind of stands out much less so compared to XIII and XIII-2, in a way.

Additionally I really think if this game had more time/money/talent/care/polish it could have been something far more special. And much more beautiful. Sigh. I'm enjoying the battles, garbs, and customization, at least.

Rizzi

Waiting for the game to install.
I got the Soldier First Class outfit and the Lightning Samurai set.
Do any of them break the game horribly?

cafemomo

kupo!
Bg-VYtzCAAA1LmB.jpg

Additionally I really think if this game had more time/money/talent/care/polish it could have been something far more special. And much more beautiful. Sigh. I'm enjoying the battles, garbs, and customization, at least.

This is just the thing about LR. With more care and polish it could have been something absolutely incredible.

I'd definitely save first. That formula isn't exact apparently. Missions will get you stat boosts and more points for the ending, so, up to you!

i did save, and lucky i did, as i didnt get the 14th day.
i went onto bunivelze anyway, and wow.. i'd be fucked if i didnt save earlier, im not strong enough at all.
and its not like i can level up there by fighting enemies cos it doesnt work that way.

so if i happened to save on the 13th day, how are you supposed to complete the game?

Shinta

Banned
Waiting for the game to install.
I got the Soldier First Class outfit and the Lightning Samurai set.
Do any of them break the game horribly?

Nope. It's actually hard to use them at the very beginning because you won't have many abilities to equip to it. Use them as much as you want.

Cloud's main move is using Heavy Slash after you land a stagger. Does massive damage.

i did save, and lucky i did, as i didnt get the 14th day.
i went onto bunivelze anyway, and wow.. i'd be fucked if i didnt save earlier, im not strong enough at all.
and its not like i can level up there by fighting enemies cos it doesnt work that way.

so if i happened to save on the 13th day, how are you supposed to complete the game?

The game was actually originally designed to be next to impossible to complete on one playthrough. It wasn't until late in development that they added Chronostasis and more time rewards for quest completion after getting some feedback.

So, in that situation you described, you would fail and start new game +.

People that use Chronostasis a lot find they are out of content around day 7-8 sometimes. This is because originally there was no Chronostasis at all.

!

What costume is that?

There's 3 DLC outfits. He's playing from a Japanese save file. They're not out in the west yet. I'm sure they will be soon.

Nope. It's actually hard to use them at the very beginning because you won't have many abilities to equip to it. Use them as much as you want.

Cloud's main move is using Heavy Slash after you land a stagger. Does massive damage.

The game was actually originally designed to be next to impossible to complete on one playthrough. It wasn't until late in development that they added Chronostasis and more time rewards for quest completion after getting some feedback.

So, in that situation you described, you would fail and start new game +.

but how do you "fail"? my 2nd save is in the area before the final boss..

zeopower6

I'm really enjoying this game, but one annoying thing I ran into was Hope stepping over his various lines over and over again. Was going through a section in Yusnaan and I kept hitting trigger points in conversation, but you keep moving forward (especially since time is important) and before he would finish the last thing he was saying, he'd say something else, and to make it worse he would then step over that with his annoying reminder speech. I don't get bothered often by games, but it just made that section so chaotic.

You know, there's half an hour until you have to come back to the Ark.

It's time to go back to the Ark.

And there's no way of avoiding it unless you sleep until 6am :(

Bladenic

So I never got Siegfried even though I definitely remember uploading my score. Already deleted the demo. Wonderful. Anyone else suffer this? Also anyone who has it, is it worth it?

genbatzu

enjoyed the wildlands yesterday,
healed my chocobo to "level 2", now he can glide, yay!

also got these 2 little swords from monsters... on day2, making my live a lot easier :D
Bg8qFKHCYAAjc1t.jpg:orig

Bg8qbS6IUAA1DRI.jpg:orig

with chronostasis, the time constraint feels like a non-issue right now, I used it ~10 times on Day2 till now and thanks to the behemot like monsters, recovering to 5 EPs is quite easy

Balphon

I just randomly got the Helter Skelter garb as an outerworld reward and it's kind of ridiculously good. Did anyone else get it? The message said it was from some sort of community challenge.

genbatzu

I just randomly got the Helter Skelter garb as an outerworld reward and it's kind of ridiculously good. Did anyone else get it? The message said it was from some sort of community challenge.

Outerworld Challenge #1 update, 20:00GMT LIGHTNING RETURNS: FINAL FANTASY XIII is out now! For those already playing, have you used outerworld yet? Outerworld lets players post screenshots to Facebook, and Twitter from within the game. Posts that you make can be “called in” by your friends on Facebook, to be sure to appear in their game. This is handy to ensure sharing of any items you may be looking for! That’s not all – there are four Outerworld challenges to complete (each lasting two weeks) which will unlock unique garbs for Lightning. Challenge #1 starts now: make a total of 100,000 Outerworld posts and we’ll unlock the Helter Skelter Garb for everyone!

Balphon

^

Ah, cool. Didn't notice it in the store until I talked to the Outerworld NPC.

Regardless, it seems almost game-breakingly powerful. Weird to attach it to something like that.

zeopower6

So I never got Siegfried even though I definitely remember uploading my score. Already deleted the demo. Wonderful. Anyone else suffer this? Also anyone who has it, is it worth it?

I think you have to keep the demo around? I just redownloaded and finished it up quickly.

Garland7G

^

Ah, cool. Didn't notice it in the store until I talked to the Outerworld NPC.

Regardless, it seems almost game-breakingly powerful. Weird to attach it to something like that.

Talk to any Outworld NPC? I can't seem to get the Garb to show up in my store :(

Tirod

also got these 2 little swords from monsters... on day2, making my live a lot easier :D

Looks like the Death Halberd and Shard Sword, yeah? I just got both of those on my latest day too, I love how obscenely large the Shard Sword is lol.

Gonna make a comprehensive post with my set up later (only 3 days in), but my biggest regret right now is playing on easy. :(

genbatzu

Looks like the Death Halberd and Shard Sword, yeah? I just got both of those on my latest day too, I love how obscenely large the Shard Sword is lol.

Gonna make a comprehensive post with my set up later (only 3 days in), but my biggest regret right now is playing on easy. :(

<-- german here, dunno the exact names, but the axe like wpn is dropped by Anubis, the big ass sword from the Behemot like enemy. It's not an easy, but not a hard fight either (and he awards 2 EP, good to keep the chronostasis up..forever...)
Really enjoying the fighting system, but I've to get the hang of enemy break/stagger? and blocking can be quite hectic

not regretting that I started on normal difficulty ;P

Tirod

the big ass sword from the Behemot like enemy. It's not an easy, but not a hard fight either (and he awards 2 EP, good to keep the chronostasis up..forever...)

not regretting that I started on normal difficulty ;P

Ah. The Reavers give up 4 EP per kill on Easy.I've been able to keep up Chrono so easily on my end and just do tons of quests.

Regen Health outside of battle nulls my inventory restorative items. Admittedly I've only done one boss so far, but I've never had to use even a potion thus far. /:

Too much time invested though to start over though, guess I'll see how Normal fares on NG+.

Shinta

Banned
Ah. The Reavers give up 4 EP per kill on Easy.I've been able to keep up Chrono so easily on my end and just do tons of quests.

Regen Health outside of battle nulls my inventory restorative items. Admittedly I've only done one boss so far, but I've never had to use even a potion thus far. /:

Too much time invested though to start over though, guess I'll see how Normal fares on NG+.

You'll be so strong you might just jump to hard mode if it'll let you.

genbatzu

I think Regen Health is an Easy-Mode-Only thing, but with
Chocobo
and more than enough gil it's pretty easy to keep HP up. I only used ~2 potions and 2x cooked food for 300gil till now, bought everything I could from merchants and still have enough gil, so no problem on this sight
And since
my chocobo reached level 2
, the heal and buff is more than enough (up until now). I think I'll finish the wildlands today, lets see if I can do all of it on Day 2 ;P

Alright I'm almost done with day 12, just a few more hours left. Any recommendations for some swords/shields I should buy for day 13? I bought all/nearly of the garbs but few weapons. Been using Chaos's Revenge as my main weapon since I got it, just switched to the Flesh Render but it doesn't feel much more powerful and I miss the quick stagger. I've completed 56 sidequests, hopefully enough to unlock
day 14
. I'm sitting on about 820k gil. Playing on normal.

Tirod

You'll be so strong you might just jump to hard mode if it'll let you.

If that's the case, I'd be willing to skip Normal in lieu of Hard.

I started this game "late" relative to others due to my work schedule, and hearing all the recommendations of "Play it on easy!" spooked me I suppose.

Top Bottom