• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII |OT| Toriyama's Bizarre Adventure

nOoblet16

For firework locations:
the posters that have the secret words for the chocobo girls are pretty much everywhere. There are only 4 or 5 different types of posters in Yusnaan, and I wouldn't be surprised if every major section of the city has at least one chocobo girl poster.

Furthermore, the quest mentions a fireworks vendor. If you seek him out, he'll give you a quick quest that rewards 7 fireworks.

Two tips for doing side quests and managing time:
1. Talk to people, examine objects, and reread quest descriptions to see if you missed any details. The game gives you hints fairly often in the city zones.
2. If you don't have enough EP to regularly Chronostasis, it means you're either skipping fights or spending your EP on other things. Don't! Unless you have a good reason not to, fight every fight you come across, and heal using Potions/restaurants instead of Curaga. Overclock usually isn't worth it.
I spent my EP on overclock, for the cyclops boss I used it at the end because I only had 100HP (no potions) and he was almost dead so I didn't wanted to repeat the battle yet again as that was the 2nd time that was happening. So far most of the fights are either that robot with rush attack (hard to stagger and very slow to kill) or a guard with 2 flanitors who heal each other quite quickly. The reason I avoid battles is because I don't have enough gils to heal myself and since I am playing on normal my HP doesn't replenishes after battle. Wish I started on easy.

Zafir

Id argue overclock can worth it against bosses. More worth it than using curaga In some cases. Thing is you get 5 EP back from bosses anyway. Consequently If you have some EP spare you can use overclock and try and burst bosses down. I got 5 stars on
Caius Normal
because of it.

Falk

that puzzling face
So I never got Siegfried even though I definitely remember uploading my score. Already deleted the demo. Wonderful. Anyone else suffer this? Also anyone who has it, is it worth it?

Not any more or less so than most of the other optional garb. Nice boost at the start, gets outscaled easily.

Well, alrighty, here's a little rant. I plat'd Japanese some time ago. I'm replaying the English version again with English dubs just because, along with a morbid curiosity on how much the script changed, if at all.

One week after release, the Japanese Outworld Service essentially gave you as many Turbo Ethers as you wanted. Mostly all clearly marked via the message too. Call it cheating, call it whatever you want, spamming Turbo Ethers made every single boss ridiculously easy.

One week after NA/EU release, 95% of the Outworld Service are absolutely banal screenshots no one even cares about. Oh, you found all 6 chocobo chicks and took a picture of it? Well, grats, good for you.

Where are my Turbo Ethers. :'(

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Man, can you imagine if FFXV let's us change everybody's appearance? That would be so awesome. I wish we could color Light's weapons though. Her bright pink swords are a bit odd.

Shinta

Banned
Man, can you imagine if FFXV let's us change everybody's appearance? That would be so awesome. I wish we could color Light's weapons though. Her bright pink swords are a bit odd.

I think the next big thing is to have that famous FF hair, but to have people change their hairstyles slightly half way through the story, or with different costumes.

Imagine if Lightning had her hair up, or styled differently in the outfits, but it all looked as good as her default one?

WanderingWind

I think the next big thing is to have that famous FF hair, but to have people change their hairstyles slightly half way through the story, or with different costumes.

Imagine if Lightning had her hair up, or styled differently in the outfits, but it all looked as good as her default one?

As long as there was some goofy hairstyles, I am totally down with that. I'm going to do nothing this weekend except play this and Bravely Default. It's gonna be awesome

Frumix

Suffering From Success
After completing the 160 fragments run of 13-2, finally started with this game.
Man is it confusing and overwhelming a couple of hours in.

Carbonox

I would like this. Further customization of your characters is something that should be incorporated. FFXIII and FFXIII-2 having none of this was pretty shitty. Not even armours and stuff. Alternate costumes don't count. At least Lightning Returns is somewhat a step in the right direction with the ton of garbs, colouration changes and weapon variety.

I think I've figured out what I dislike about this game. It's a lot less linear than XIII, which is great, I just never feel like I have enough time to explore. I don't feel like I have the time to weigh my options as to which side quest to do, I generally just feel rushed :/ It's a shame cause I'm really enjoying the gameplay.

Carbonox

I think I've figured out what I dislike about this game. It's a lot less linear than XIII, which is great, I just never feel like I have enough time to explore. I don't feel like I have the time to weigh my options as to which side quest to do, I generally just feel rushed :/ It's a shame cause I'm really enjoying the gameplay.

You'll find later in the game that there is plenty of time to do everything. I slept through the last 2 days prior to the Ultimate Dungeon because I had nowt to do, hah.

MilkBeard

As stated above, there really is a lot of time to complete the main quests and most side quests, so the time constraint is mostly a mental barrier. There are a few quests that will push you really close, like the one where you have to find numbers, and also most of the Yusnaan main quest. However, there is still plenty of time to do those, as I was able to complete them on my first try, without using a guide.

The idea of a timer is kind of a new thing, as there are only a few games that have done it, but it's really not as restrictive as it seems at first.

MilkBeard

That would be ideal. That way, say, if some people are annoyed with the way Noctis looks, they can just change his clothes and put a hat on him.

However, I don't think that's going to happen. I would love for some form of real-time models that change depending on the equipment, though.

WanderingWind

That would be ideal. That way, say, if some people are annoyed with the way Noctis looks, they can just change his clothes and put a hat on him.

However, I don't think that's going to happen. I would love for some form of real-time models that change depending on the equipment, though.

Do we know if they're doing anything about the characters in XV all dressing exactly the same yet? Was that just like a placeholder uniform? Also, are there really only going to be 2 women in the cast?

Beat the game just now and I found it suprisingly enjoyable. Definitely my favorite out of the trilogy mostly because of the customization and combat. Story was incredibly nonsensical and at some points down right hilarious especially the many side quest stories. Time management wasn't to much of an issue as I had like 3 days until the finale. Speaking of Finale, the last boss was pretty great and gave me the most challenge as I ended up only getting 3 stars instead of the usual 4/5 ranking. Gonna go through on NG+ so I can unlock the 14th day and get all the garbs.

Solid 8/10 for me.

MilkBeard

Do we know if they're doing anything about the characters in XV all dressing exactly the same yet? Was that just like a placeholder uniform? Also, are there really only going to be 2 women in the cast?

No clue. Seems like only 2 women have been shown so far, but if the game world is huge then I think there is potential for other characters to appear in the game that they haven't shown yet. Just think about the extended cast for say, Final Fantasy VII for example. It looks like they've shown most of the main characters but I think there's still room for some surprises.

As for clothes, if you go by all of the previous mainline titles, it doesn't seem like you'll be able to change their appearance, although there is still the possibility, considering what you can do in Lightning Returns.

WanderingWind

No clue. Seems like only 2 women have been shown so far, but if the game world is huge then I think there is potential for other characters to appear in the game that they haven't shown yet. Just think about the extended cast for say, Final Fantasy VII for example. It looks like they've shown most of the main characters but I think there's still room for some surprises.

As for clothes, if you go by all of the previous mainline titles, it doesn't seem like you'll be able to change their appearance, although there is still the possibility, considering what you can do in Lightning Returns.

Last I saw, they were all in nearly identical clothes. I am still hoping that's just a concept and they're going to flesh out the visual identities a bit more as the game development progresses.

Rolling onto Day 6 this evening, I'm really starting to enjoy it.

It'll probably end up my least favourite of the trilogy but that doesn't mean anything when I'm having legitimate fun with it despite the obvious short comings.

FFXIII-2, FFXIII, LR:FFXIII

[So far.]

Adaren

Finished off the Wildlands boss a few hours before the end of Day 5, completing all the main quests. 40 side quests completed as well. Time to take it easy until the end of the world! I'm also at 40 hours played, which I think is quite high for how far I am into the game. Not sure how that happened...

I died a couple times to the boss (wanted to beat him without using items or EP) and then found a setup that let me win with almost full HP and a (perhaps undeserved?) 5 star rating:
Dangerous Blossom: Mediguard, Debrave, Slow, Defaith
Paladin: Heavy Guard, Deshell, Imperil, Dispel
Ignition: Fire+ and the -66% health +1 Finale accessory (and some other magic attacks that I don't think I ended up using...)

Strategy was just to take it easy and keep him debuffed while squeezing Fire+ chains in between all of his attacks. Imperil+Deshell gave me more than enough damage output. Having two schemata with block made all the difference; I found that with only a single defensive setup I often ran out of ATB and died instantly when he went Commando for the second time.
Awesome fight, though I still think the Yusnaan boss was my favorite.

I spent my EP on overclock, for the cyclops boss I used it at the end because I only had 100HP (no potions) and he was almost dead so I didn't wanted to repeat the battle yet again as that was the 2nd time that was happening. So far most of the fights are either that robot with rush attack (hard to stagger and very slow to kill) or a guard with 2 flanitors who heal each other quite quickly. The reason I avoid battles is because I don't have enough gils to heal myself and since I am playing on normal my HP doesn't replenishes after battle. Wish I started on easy.

The Rushing Robots can be annoying, but they only have one attack and give you a long time to react to it. Make sure you block it every time and keep up a steady stream of attacks; you'll stagger them eventually. They definitely get less annoying once you get more raw power.

For the Flanitors, they stagger really easily whenever they're healing and have low health pools. I usually used AOE attacks to take down those packs, but focusing the Flanitors should also make quick work of them, I think.

Zafir

Anyone know where is the best place to get alll them 100 souls seeds for the special drink?
Death game quest in Yusnaan. If you start the quest and just go for the seeds instead of killing them. You can just retry after and complete it properly when your done.

Falk

that puzzling face
Couldn't Outworld this one but Reaver Ω + Chaos Infusion = $$$$$$$$$$$

TEOpos8l.jpg

nOoblet16

Where can I find the cloud outfit which I got as a pre order bonus?

Question to those who have finished the game, I am on the last part of the Yusnaan quest that involves the slaughterhouse fight. But I am wondering how frequent are these time based quests in the game. If most quests are like this then I'm not sure if I'll enjoy the game because earning EP takes some time and my approach in the previous two games were usually focused on slowly advancing through each area, taking my time to do everything and skip fights every now and then to just observe the locations. So far I am not enjoying the time based quests because of this.

TEOpos8l.jpg

Nice.

Falk

that puzzling face
Reavers are the Behemoth-type mobs that appear in Yusnaan and Wildlands. The Omega/Last One is the absolute last of its kind and gives a shit ton more Gil than normal along with some rare drops.

There are areas later on in the game that only spawn large monsters, and have high rates of Chaos Infusion. I just ran around there till the two spawns lined up then engaged that one. Since Chaos Infusion gives you 3x Gil, that stacked for a hilarious amount of Gil from one battle.

Question to those who have finished the game, I am on the last part of the Yusnaan quest that involves the slaughterhouse fight. But I am wondering how frequent are these time based quests in the game.

Only two of the main quests (the city ones) are time dependant. Yusnaan is the strictest of the lot with a whole series of them, of which slaughterhouse is the second-last (You need to be somewhere by 3AM after that)

Sidequest-wise, many have broad time requirements only during which the NPCs appear, but considering they're so numerous it's not nearly as much of a rush as the Yusnaan main quest.

Koozek

TEOpos8l.jpg

Duuude, normal Reaver Ω alone kicks my ass. He regenerates, so I'll have to use some Dispel next time (does it work to remove Regenerate?). Though I think he won't appear anymore because I used Escape the first time, no? :(
He will be in the bonus dungeon on the 14th day, then? Where is that dungeon exactly?

Gaz_RB

Duuude, normal Reaver Ω alone kicks my ass. He regenerates, so I'll have to use some Dispel next time (does it work to remove Regenerate?). Though I think he won't appear anymore because I used Escape the first time, no? :(
He will be in the bonus dungeon on the 14th day, then? Where is that dungeon exactly?

Yeah, as long you don't kill him, he'll be in the dungeon

MCD

Only one fragment left and it's in the slaughter house.

Need to do something till it opens late at night. What useless quests should I do now....lol

Finished off the Wildlands boss a few hours before the end of Day 5, completing all the main quests. 40 side quests completed as well. Time to take it easy until the end of the world! I'm also at 40 hours played, which I think is quite high for how far I am into the game. Not sure how that happened.

That reminds me... How/where do you check to see how many hours you've put in? I looked around, but I couldn't seem to find anything.

Carbonox

This NG+ weapon/accessory/shield upgrading lark is gonna be fun. Rather confusing but it will be fun to boost my shit's stats big time. Will definitely get the Platinum in this run. Seems easy enough. By the time I get to Aeronite I will probably be too OP.

Adaren

How do people feel about staves? I'm trying one out right now because my friends pressured me into making a fairy costume for Lightning (complete with a magic wand), but I'm finding the lack of Stagger power to be prohibitive. The cast animation is crazy fast, though, so maybe I just need to use more ATB efficient attacks like Ruin.

nOoblet16

So you can't have more than 5 EP at once? I guess it's for balancing.
By the way how do I defeat Snow? I can get him down to 75% before I run out of all potions and die.

Szadek

Ordered the game,should be in the mail at monday.
Should I play on easy or normal?
I like challenge,but I don't want to restart the game,because I got stuck on the final boss ore something.

So you can't have more than 5 EP at once? I guess it's for balancing.
By the way how do I defeat Snow? I can get him down to 75% before I run out of all potions and die.

Beating the main quests can give you upgrades like more maximum EP and recovery items. You get 8 EP eventually.

Adaren

- When he casts Riptose, hit him with magic.
- When he casts Recast, hit him with melee.
- Use lots of fire damage.
- Try to keep your distance with ranged attacks while he's not doing anything. Then, when he does start to attack you, you have plenty of time to react and swap to a defensive garb. This is a useful strategy for any enemy in the game, especially ones that you don't know well.
- He'll do some "super" attacks when he gets lower health. All of these are telegraphed really clearly, so learn the timing and Guard/Perfect Guard them! If he's doing something you don't recognize, just start Guarding and you'll be okay.
You can come up with a more refined strategy with certain abilities, but these are general pointers that worked for me. If you want to post your Schemata or which attacks you're having trouble with, I'm sure we could give more detailed help.

Today I learned you can't spoiler tag lists!

Ordered the game,should be in the mail at monday.
Should I play on easy or normal?
I like challenge,but I don't want to restart the game,because I got stuck on the final boss ore something.

I've cleared all the main missions on Normal but haven't done the final boss yet. I'm under the impression that, if you aren't going to have a good time on Normal, you'll find out fairly quickly. So I recommend trying Normal, but that's just me!

Falk

that puzzling face
I've cleared all the main missions on Normal but haven't done the final boss yet. I'm under the impression that, if you aren't going to have a good time on Normal, you'll find out fairly quickly. So I recommend trying Normal, but that's just me!

There actually is a difficulty spike at the final dungeon, but generally if you can clear the first few mobs of the final dungeon you -should- be able to clear the final boss with a few Ethers/Turbo Ethers.

But yeah, I agree. Generally if Normal is a little too hard you'll find out early on.

Blu(e)

Hey is it true that FFX/X-2 HD collection is supposed to provide a code for Yuna summoner garb? I've been eyeing a copy on ebay that includes it but I'm not sure if I should pick that one up or a copy with the Aerith garb. The Yuna one being $20 cheaper is nice too.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I just realized there's paths that link the areas, but they seem blocked by a giant gate. Do I have to do something to remove that?

It seems like I need access to the one linking Dunes and Wildlands but I can't get to the actual path and see no quest about it.

Top Bottom