• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII |OT| Toriyama's Bizarre Adventure

Ezi0

I finished the game on Normal. Just shy of 60 hours with all quests completed. I loved it all even the story. Really satisfied with the ending.

Now the wait for FFXV begins
:p

Balphon

I just realized there's paths that link the areas, but they seem blocked by a giant gate. Do I have to do something to remove that?

It seems like I need access to the one linking Dunes and Wildlands but I can't get to the actual path and see no quest about it.

There are Canvas of Prayers quests to open them on Day 9. There's nothing in them apart from a bunch of boxes and chaos zones though, so whatever you're looking for is somewhere else.

Koozek

ive tried and tried and i just cant beat the last boss. he's ridiculous. guess i have to go back to my previous save and get stronger.

Don't scare me, breh :/ I'll probably face him tomorrow or so. Gonna finish up some Canvas stuff tonight and the remaining few sidequests. Hope those will help me for the last boss.

eliza0224

How can I know if this monster will be extincted soon? I read something about datalog and yellow color but I couldn't find it.
Search for the monster on the bestiary, on "status" I think, says Common, Rare or Extinct. Rare is when a few more kills and it'll be extinct.

Nohar

So what does GAF make of this game?
I'm about to play tonight :)

Overall, the game definitly has some flaws that are difficult to overlook (namely a pretty random framerate in some aeras, some awful textures and a story which may not satisfy you), but the game reveals itself to be very enjoyable to play. The new battle system is definitly more interesting than its predecessors, and is one of the best feature of this new opus. The jury still disagree on weither the time limit is a good or a bad thing, with a lot of people agreeing that it could have been handled in a better way. Thanksfully, you can use an ability called "Chronostasis" in order to freeze time, allowing you nearly infinite time if you use it correctly. On the other hand, the game is definitly rigged so that you should end up with a game over on your first run and begin again in New Game+ (bosses gets tougher the more days pass by, so if you don't fight them early on they can get very very tough).

My advice? As crazy as it sounds, do not use Chronostasis at all on your first run, and do it knowing full well that if you do not use Chronostasis, you won't have the time to finish the main quests. That way you will be able to discover the world, find most quests, you will know what to do next time and you will have a equipement good enough to begin a new playthrough in which you will be able to tackle the ordeals more easily (since you will be able to keep your equipment and pretty much everything you won on your first playthrough).

Also: once you unlock the main quest in Luxerion in which you must find numbers on walls? Get out of here. I really think that Luxerion shouldn't have been the beginning aera of the game: there are very few quests available at the start, the aera is rather gloomy, and even if the boss from this aera is one of the easiest, you will have a very hard time fighting it if you didn't get out and acquired better stats and stuff elsewhere. So, whatever you decide to do, please follow this one advice: get out of Luxerion.

Adaren

Thanksfully, you can use an ability called "Chronostasis" in order to freeze time, allowing you nearly infinite time if you use it correctly. On the other hand, the game is definitly rigged so that you should end up with a game over on your first run and begin again in New Game+ (bosses gets tougher the more days pass by, so if you don't fight them early on they can get very very tough).

My advice? As crazy as it sounds, do not use Chronostasis at all on your first run, and do it knowing full well that if you do not use Chronostasis, you won't have the time to finish the main quests. That way you will be able to discover the world, find most quests, you will know what to do next time and you will have a equipement good enough to begin a new playthrough in which you will be able to tackle the ordeals more easily (since you will be able to keep your equipment and pretty much everything you won on your first playthrough).

I'd hardly say the game is rigged for you to run out of time. I completed all the main quests before Day 6, no guide and plenty of side quests/pointless exploration completed along the way. Talking to people, examining objects, and checking stores probably help you complete the story faster rather than slower, since NPCs will often give you helpful tips (e.g. telling you the locations or answers for the numbers quest you mention).

I'm not trying to brag here, and I understand if people feel rushed or punished by the time counter, but there's nothing unfair about it. It's completely doable on the first playthrough.

Tips:
1. Chronostasis.
2. Fight things.
3. If you're going to use another EP ability, weigh its cost in terms of Chronostasises. Would you rather use Curaga or use a Potion and have another hour on the clock? (The answer is normally to use a Potion.)

Nohar

I pretty much did the same on my own playthrough, but I really disliked the sudden difficulty spike at the end (barring the
Omega-fest
place), that's why I actually advised him to benefit from a New Game+. It's perfectly doable indeed: abusing Chronostasis makes the time limit problem pretty much inexistent (something that I already mentioned in my previous post, mind you).

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
There are Canvas of Prayers quests to open them on Day 9. There's nothing in them apart from a bunch of boxes and chaos zones though, so whatever you're looking for is somewhere else.

Ah, thanks. It was for one of the main quests but I found it right before the gate in the wildlands.

Carbonox

Upgrade 30 accessories (done 14 so far), acquire an Elixir from somewhere and beat Aeronite and then I'll have the Platinum. Should be done easily by tomorrow night.

Overall, I have to say I really really like this game. Went in expecting the worst. Came out enjoying it, warts and all.

So I saw some post on the news and updates about unlocking a garb through the community event and looking for a specific NPC named LRFF13 or something along those lines.

Anyone managed to find one of them yet and/or know the best place to look for one?

Edit: Nevermind, I managed to find one in Ruffian in the Dead Dunes.

ive tried and tried and i just cant beat the last boss. he's ridiculous. guess i have to go back to my previous save and get stronger.

Do all four trials before you fight the boss to get the Ultimate Weapon. Plus make sure you have a ton of X-Potions and like 3 or 4 phoenix downs. EP should be close to full if possible.

Also, equip every class with some magic moves as the bosses final form is purely a stagger battle. I had one damage dealing class (3600+ attack), one class equipped with ghost hood (+75% physical resistance) and buffs, and another with preta hood (+75% mag. resistance) and magic. These classes aloud me to minimize all damage.

I only ended up getting 4 stars but it worked wonders.

Koozek

WTF!? Artemis Arrow is effin' OP :D If I had only known sooner, haha.
Did nearly 400,000 damage, right now, on a normal enemy.

oh, I had a question about equipment... When you equip an accessory on Lightning, is it only effective for the schema you equip it on, or do its effects carry over to all three?

Balphon

oh, I had a question about equipment... When you equip an accessory on Lightning, is it only effective for the schema you equip it on, or do its effects carry over to all three?

The "head" (looks like a hairpin) ones only affect the schema they're equipped on. The armband (bracelet) ones affect all three.

HeelPower

the same thing happened to me..Even after I completed the trials and got the ultima weapon.

I actually had to spped run the game on NG+ to kick his ass.

Ridiculously difficult final boss unless its easy mode.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Damn. Dead Dunes boss seemed to level up and is really hard for me, even though nothing in the area is. Heard Wildlands boss is even harder and that's all I have left for the main quests.

Nohar

Well, the final boss worried me the first time I heard about it, but I found it to be quite challenging without being too hard. The last phase does require you to stagger it, and you'd better be good at it, but if you are good and use both moves that increase the stagger and maintain it, it's perfectly doable.

@Papercuts: Yeah... Wildlands boss is a mixed bag. On one hand it doesn't have much HP compared to the others. On the other hand, it uses attacks in rapid-succession, making it very hard to find the time to attack it at all (on top of depleting your ATB bar pretty quickly when you need to block - have at least 2 garbs with a Block ability, you WILL need it). And if you take too long it can heals itself.

SirNinja

I'm still on Day 2. It's only about 1 PM, and so far I've:

• Gotten myself all set up for the Yusnaan palace "tour"
  • Found all the code-numbers in Luxerion, except for one I can't get to until after midnight
  • Nursed the "Angel of Valhalla" chocobo back to health. (Still need to fix his wings)
  • Went to Dead Dunes, found a way around to the bandit settlement, and dispersed the sandstorm
  • Explored quite a bit of the Dead Dunes ruins with Fang. Got sidetracked finding oil for Bhakti, as that's apparently a timed quest. Found 2/3 oil so far.
  • Completed several side quests, and solved about a dozen requests on the Canvas of Prayers

As an update to this post, I've finally broken the cycle of prepping for story bosses without killing them. I slept in the Luxerion inn until midnight, got the
final code number in the Warren
, and
defeated Noel
. Keeping Chronostasis active, I warped back to the Dead Dunes, got to
all three murals within the ruins
, and
defeated Grendel

Two story bosses down and it's only 12:57 AM on Day 2. :p

I don't know what I'll do until 6 AM, though. Maybe warp to the Wildlands and pay the Moogle village a visit (if it's accessible), while I search for ways to fully heal the chocobo. Day 3 is probably going to be spent there too, until 6 PM where I'll try to
sneak in to Snow's palace

And yes, I know I'm setting myself up for a situation where I'll clear all the story bosses by Day 4-5, and then have absolutely nothing to do until day 13 except for side quests. Then again, that also means I can spend about a whole in-game week without worrying about racing the clock...

nOoblet16

Can't seem to defeat snow, I die with his health down to 20-25%. I just have one fire spell that comes from the actress garb and that's about it, the other two I am using are Yuna's costume for the crashing wave attack and have a heavy slash attack equipped with it, then I have the cloud costume which is pretty much useless outside of the high health (due to the shield) and Slayer special attack.

Zafir

Can't seem to defeat snow, I die with his health down to 20-25%. I just have one fire spell that comes from the actress garb and that's about it, the other two I am using are Yuna's costume for the crashing wave attack and have a heavy slash attack equipped with it, then I have the cloud costume which is pretty much useless outside of the high health (due to the shield) and Slayer special attack.
You probably need more fire to be honest. I had 1 on all 3 of the garbs I had and it made him fairly easy.

I personally managed to grab a really nice fire garb from a rare forge which was stood just outside of the big gate into the square(the one you needed an ID card to get through).

nOoblet16

You probably need more fire to be honest. I had 1 on all 3 of the garbs I had and it made him fairly easy.

I personally managed to grab a really nice fire garb from a rare forge which was stood just outside of the big gate into the square(the one you needed an ID card to get through).

I checked with all outfitters in Yusnaan (3 in total) and I didn't find the garb you mentioned.

Zafir

I checked with all outfitters in Yusnaan (3 in total) and I didn't find the garb you mentioned.
It's not an outfitter, they're actually called "Forge (Rare)". However it sells garbs. The store may not have spawned for you mind, as I hear they only pop up sometimes.

Edit: Found a map of the spawn spots http://www.trueachievements.com/customimages/027088.png

I must have just got lucky that he happened to be there as I was doing the 2-2 mission.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

There's no shame in dying then retrying from the beginning, as a bonus you've already suffered through the 'story' once and you can skip all the cut-scenes :p ...

the stat bonuses will be lesser than what you got the first time through, but a second run through the entire thing will most def. buff you enough to easily tackle the final boss.

zeopower6

There's no shame in dying then retrying from the beginning, as a bonus you've already suffered through the 'story' once and you can skip all the cut-scenes :p ...

the stat bonuses will be lesser than what you got the first time through, but a second run through the entire thing will most def. buff you enough to easily tackle the final boss.

But... in Japanese! :( haha

It's not an outfitter, they're actually called "Forge (Rare)". However it sells garbs. The store may not have spawned for you mind, as I hear they only pop up sometimes.

Edit: Found a map of the spawn spots http://www.trueachievements.com/customimages/027088.png

I must have just got lucky that he happened to be there as I was doing the 2-2 mission.

He appears in one of nineteen locations every hour. x_x

Christhor

Just beat the game, it was definitely enjoyable. The final boss was pretty impressive, even if the
Ultima Weapon
completely broke it.

I really think the only reason this game got such low scores is because it had Lightning attached to it. Reviewers seem to get way too easily swayed by hype for the most part, which is a shame.

Re: the NPC that unlocks the garb from the Outerworld event, you can summon NPCs like that from the Facebook app to make them more likely to appear. That one should show up in the stream as it has a lot of cheers/is official.

I have such mixed feelings about this game. I would say my experience has been mostly positive so far, if not incredibly enjoyable, but at the same time there are so many little things that I feel could have made the overall product so much better.

I don't have a problem with the time limit; in fact I think it's pretty cool and gives the game its own identity, but there are serious game design flaws in conjunction with this. Few of the main missions actually feel as though they were designed with this mechanic in mind, while too many of the side quests are incredibly particular about it. For example, whenever you find out that part of a quest entails doing something in the Warren in Luxerion, which is only open from midnight to 6am for no other reason than fuck you, you just sort of shelve it away because chances are you're either going to be somewhere else in the world or doing something else far more important than being on time to go talk to some asshole about a diary that you don't give two shits about, and since he only resides in the Warren, you have to make a mental note and a special case to go visit him. Now, for the first playthrough, this is mostly okay-- it's definitely filler, and definitely not the least bit interesting, but it's always fun to see the QUEST COMPLETED screen to see what kind of stuff you get as well as EXP.

The problem, however, is that the game is designed to be replayed multiple times, and while your questing experience and whatnot will carry over, the completion of the quests do not; meaning that on your first run, if you desire to do things that require the completion of a large number of sidequests, like say oh, unlocking the 14th day, you have a few options: either do it right the first time by some miracle, or maybe you're just good, or lucky, OR follow a guide and quickly cram as many quests as you can into your run. If not, enjoy repeating the fifty or so incredibly uninteresting sidequests with the most mundane, chore-ish steps that they could have possibly concocted. On top of that, Lightning's post-quest self-monologues are so incredibly goofy and out of character for her which makes me wonder if the writers even know who she is.

But, all of this would have been mostly okay if they would have at least thrown a bone and said "okay, these quests suck, on new game plus on the same save, your quest completion will carry over, and if you didn't manage to unlock the 14th day, no sweat, just finish up what you missed the first time." But no. If you fail to unlock it, you're doomed to repeating these sidequests again just for the sake of an unlock. Sure, it isn't mandatory, and you can certainly finish the game without having done so, but you're missing an entire dungeon apparently filled with so many goodies and whatnot. If the sidequests were entertaining and interesting and actually fun, I would not have a problem doing them again if I were to fail, but I cannot possibly fucking fathom doing all of that shit again. Like ever. In fact, I've just started skipping the dialogue scenes altogether.

While it may seem as though most of my complaints revolve around the 14th day unlock, that's really just a smaller problem in the grand scheme of things; it was simply a good example of demonstrating the horrible sidequest design, and the fact that you have to repeat all of those incredibly boring and sometimes needlessly long-winded quests just to unlock something. It would have been so much better if you only had to do them once, and on replays you can concentrate on other things, and since you'd have them out of the way you could use all that extra time to explore or just spend more time in the world checking out the bad textures and polydogs. This way you could have one playthrough that gives you the time limit experience, but then as a reward for beating the game-- you know how sometimes games reward you for doing things-- you can use successive playthroughs to finish up quests you may have missed or failed, explore for more items or whatever, etc.

I feel like this would have been a great balance and would have made the idea of replays so much more intriguing, especially if on your second game you know that the 14th day unlock is coming, and while it would be at the end of the game, you're a powerhouse savior that can swiftly plow through the main quest and get there; which would be fun, and you'd have something to anticipate. But no. You either have to do it all in one go, or do it all over again in your next playthrough and hope you meet the requirements. This makes the sidequests, again, feel like nothing but chores and bitch work. Again this would not be a problem if they were good, but they're terrible, and not something I would like to ever partake in again. Because of this, I've spent most of my first playthrough ass-deep in online quest guides because I'm being hurried and because I don't want to have to repeat all those boring ass sidequests again. Once more, I realize that this isn't mandatory, but if you want to see all the game has to offer, that's another story.

Other than that the game is pretty good.

Falk

that puzzling face
I feel like this would have been a great balance and would have made the idea of replays so much more intriguing, especially if on your second game you know that the 14th day unlock is coming, and while it would be at the end of the game, you're a powerhouse savior that can swiftly plow through the main quest and get there; which would be fun, and you'd have something to anticipate. But no. You either have to do it all in one go, or do it all over again in your next playthrough and hope you meet the requirements. This makes the sidequests, again, feel like nothing but chores and bitch work. Again this would not be a problem if they were good, but they're terrible, and not something I would like to ever partake in again. Because of this, I've spent most of my first playthrough ass-deep in online quest guides because I'm being hurried and because I don't want to have to repeat all those boring ass sidequests again. Once more, I realize that this isn't mandatory, but if you want to see all the game has to offer, that's another story.

Actually that sounds like a brilliant idea. Right now there are three states for a quest: Uncompleted, completed in prev playthrough (so you can finish it again for the +stat/Gil rewards) and completed in this playthrough.

The Eradia count for sidequests really should use "completed in prev playthrough" as its check, rather than "completed in this playthrough" as it does now. That'd bring it in line with the behavior you describe yet give people the option to re-finish those quests for the bounty.

Obviously anything related to unlocking quests would still have to apply, so you'd e.g. have to finish doctor+dog+assistant before being allowed to do the grumpy old man quest in a particular playthrough.

nOoblet16

I see people say that they had 2-3 days left and yet managed to finish the game, how are they managing this? Doesn't it becomes a chore to use chronostasis every 75 seconds and travel AND farm EP in this time all throughout the length of the game?

Also, why does the game started with only 7 days left if it was suppose to be 13 days in total? Is the extension story dependent? Cause it seems so as chronostasis doesn't extends time anyway.

Great, even more time based stuff. Why???!! Why can't I just run around town without once caring about losing time or EP?

Zafir

I see people say that they had 2-3 days left and yet managed to finish the game, how are they managing this? Doesn't it becomes a chore to use chronostasis every 75 seconds and travel AND farm EP in this time all throughout the length of the game?

Also, why does the game started with only 7 days left if it was suppose to be 13 days in total? Is the extension story dependent? Cause it seems so as chronostasis doesn't extends time anyway.
First question, just intense time management/use of chronostasis. I've not played in a few days, but as I mentioned earlier in the thread I was at the end of day 6 with all main quests done and 43 side quests complete. I'd not really call it a chore, no, because most of the time you just get that EP naturally anyway. It's also worth noting that if you're on normal, it can be worth saving before mobs which you may not be high enough level for, so you can just reload if you aren't strong enough.

As for days, you get one extra day for every main quest, and then another extra day for doing so many side quests (roughly 50, there's a formula for it, though people were saying the formula was wrong).

Great, even more time based stuff. Why???!! Why can't I just run around town without once caring about losing time or EP?
I don't think having time is inherently bad. The time limit wasn't a good idea though, no. They went to the trouble of making a surprisingly detailed world, ignoring the graphical issues, and you can't really explore it quite as much as you would like without chronostasis spamming.

I'm on the
extended
day and spent a good amount of time fighting Earth Eaters. Partly as one of my last sources of strong EP to keep the day extended/teleport around...but also just because I really enjoy this battle system. On a first Normal run there is no sleepwalking through it, you have to be actively engaged with smart schemata setups and good attack/guard timing or you go home.

Playing without guide it turns out I managed to find and complete most quests, but finally looked up what I missed and trying to grab those bonuses now. Then try to cleanup the few remaining challenges in the
Ultimate Lair
which I already visited.

More of the Wildlands,(I still have more stuff to do there)

BhD19DWCUAA3NnI.jpg

BhD2gSRCYAAS4e9.jpg

BhD3DirCUAAaBiJ.jpg

BhD7izyCUAAC9A0.jpg

BhEBqk4CQAAx0_h.jpg

Visiting an old friend
BhECF6FCcAAQM7V.jpg

BhEIlyLCAAAMsnH.jpg

BhEC_GjCQAEmUkh.jpg

BhEKyMXCAAAQIn7.jpg

frozen
BhEL2d9CEAAGdFQ.jpg

Urban Outlaw
BhEcNx4CcAAp2hY.jpg

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
I'm stuck at
Caius
, he is so difficult at normal on day 7 (or was it 8?). Any tips? I tried different schemata but still so strong, especially after you take away 50% of his HP tends to become impossible. And the funny thing is that until now I thought that game was way too easy. What's happening? :\ I almost fear I'll have to restart a new game importing my save files... but also losing all my sidequests and achievements -.-'

Miracles?

Saphirax

I'm stuck at
Caius
, he is so difficult at normal on day 7 (or was it 8?). Any tips? I tried different schemata but still so strong, especially after you take away 50% of his HP tends to become impossible. And the funny thing is that until now I thought that game was way too easy. What's happening? :\ I almost fear I'll have to restart a new game importing my save files... but also losing all my sidequests and achievements -.-'

Miracles?

Apparently bosses get madly buffed from day 7.

Koozek

I'm stuck at
Caius

Miracles?

Had the exact same problem and fear when I tried him on Day 7 or 8 (can't remember), but then I went and did some more sidequests, Canvas stuff and all the other Main quests before returning to him. After that I finished him in 2min with one Overclock and Army of One, 5-staring him easily :D

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Had the exact same problem and fear when I tried him on Day 7 or 8 (can't remember), but then I went and did some more sidequests, Canvas stuff and all the other Main quests before returning to him. After that I finished him in 2min with one Overclock and Army of One, 5-staring him easily :D

My fear is that if I lose more time with sidequests and still end up failing, I lost hours of things I will have to do AGAIN in the new game plys to unlock the 14th day. I'm doing the
sazh
mission now, hoping it gives me the proper boost to confront this boss, but I have little hopes... if I fail again I think it'll be easier to INN until the end and start anew.

Mesharey

I'm stuck at
Caius
, he is so difficult at normal on day 7 (or was it 8?). Any tips? I tried different schemata but still so strong, especially after you take away 50% of his HP tends to become impossible. And the funny thing is that until now I thought that game was way too easy. What's happening? : I almost fear I'll have to restart a new game importing my save files... but also losing all my sidequests and achievements -.-'

Miracles?
Try to use overclock and stagger him when you can, use ether too if you have.
He is hard but with overclock and ether you can do it, if you can't then finish more missions and return later.
Don't worry you have enough time, use chronostasis as much as you can.

How did you get the values so high? I can have 2000 max, right now. First run, on Normal, Day 11.
It's my second playthrough, you will be able to upgrade your sword, shield, and accessories.

Koozek

My fear is that if I lose more time with sidequests and still end up failing, I lost hours of things I will have to do AGAIN in the new game plys to unlock the 14th day. I'm doing the
sazh
mission now, hoping it gives me the proper boost to confront this boss, but I have little hopes... if I fail again I think it'll be easier to INN until the end and start anew.

Naah, don't worry. I thought I wouldn't make it either. But if you use Chronostasis as much as possible and are clever with your time-management, it's still possible, I'd say.

Top Bottom