• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII |OT| Toriyama's Bizarre Adventure

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Staggering is something I never did on him lol... it seems I don't damage him enough, even with debuffs on him. I must be doing something bad for sure. I'll try to complete the other last main quest and few more sidequests and see what happens.

Speaking of which... help me with this
how come the guide mentions a yuel-teleport at the entrace of the Temple to reach the final area faster once completed, and yet I never find this yuel-teleport at all and have to re-do the dungeon everytime I leave it for refilling my items?

Mesharey

Check your attacks, usually magic attacks give stagger more, when you select the attack it will show you stagger ability from A to E I think, use then attacks.

Adaren

I'm stuck at
Caius
, he is so difficult at normal on day 7 (or was it 8?). Any tips? I tried different schemata but still so strong, especially after you take away 50% of his HP tends to become impossible. And the funny thing is that until now I thought that game was way too easy. What's happening? :\ I almost fear I'll have to restart a new game importing my save files... but also losing all my sidequests and achievements -.-'

Miracles?

Miracles are things we make for ourselves, here and now.

And I posted my setup for beating him easily a few pages back (did it on Day 5, though). In short
debuffs, two guards, and Fire+

Jisgsaw

Staggering is something I never did on him lol... it seems I don't damage him enough, even with debuffs on him. I must be doing something bad for sure. I'll try to complete the other last main quest and few more sidequests and see what happens.

how come the guide mentions a yuel-teleport at the entrace of the Temple to reach the final area faster once completed, and yet I never find this yuel-teleport at all and have to re-do the dungeon everytime I leave it for refilling my items?

You definitively want to wait to have as high stats as you can (so all other main quests are a must) before that fight. He is by far the most dangerous boss I've seen (I'm at day 10, did a couple of high level Last Ones also).
Only thing that gives me even remotely as much troubles are the Earth Eater, can't get my head around what I'm doing wrong.

Speaking of Earth Eater: I tried combining the warior hunter mask (buff steal when using Heavy Slash) and Soldier of Peace (Heavy Slash turns into Artemis Arrows).
Turns out it doesn't work, you actually have to use a Heavy Slash, not a powered up version, for the Breave Thief to work :-(

For the Yeul shortcut mentioned by the guide, I was also wondering. That would be damn usefull

Carbonox

That temple of the goddess shortcut is bollocks. I never found it either. :lol

I need to acquire an Elixir and then go fight Aeronite. My journey is nearly over.

Mesharey

Speaking of Earth Eater: I tried combining the warior hunter mask (buff steal when using Heavy Slash) and Soldier of Peace (Heavy Slash turns into Artemis Arrows).
Turns out it doesn't work, you actually have to use a Heavy Slash, not a powered up version, for the Breave Thief to work :-(
There's a garb that gives 75% defense against magic and physical attacks (jump suit?) and accessories that gives 15% resistance and 10% (ghostly hood and something) wear these and try to to stagger it and attack using the other 2 garbs.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Yeah, I have the ghostly hood on a class just made for debuffs and defending since it kills your attack and magic power. Has been working really well for me...but I still got wrecked by the buffed Desert boss. Need to find way more powerful aero magic somewhere.

Zafir

That temple of the goddess shortcut is bollocks. I never found it either. :lol
I assume it means the one that opens when you escape from the boss?

I would have never figured out that it was there if it wasn't for the fact I saw it mentioned somewhere. :p

nOoblet16

So I just decided to put the Snow fight aside and level up instead, when I realised that the game only has 4 different areas I was a bit disappointed considering the first two are no that huge then I went to Dead Dunes and was amazed at the size of the location, then I went to the Wildlands and my jaw literally dropped at the size of the map.

I saw that, too. And I didn't find it either. It wasn't too big a deal for me. I managed to beat that boss on my first try, but there were a few close calls. I had more trouble with him than any other boss so far simply because I couldn't even see where I was half the time with all of his juggles and bullshit.

Jisgsaw

There's a garb that gives 75% defense against magic and physical attacks (jump suit?) and accessories that gives 15% resistance and 10% (ghostly hood and something) wear these and try to to stagger it and attack using the other 2 garbs.

I don't have this garb apparently.

I think I need to adapt my SAB a bit. Too bad you can't buff yourself other than with potions.
I also have the problem that either I manage to stagger him quickly with a RAV + commando for stagger conservation, but then lack power during the stagger, or have a RAV and Commando optimised for damage, but then staggering him takes too long.

I saw that, too. And I didn't find it either. It wasn't too big a deal for me. I managed to beat that boss on my first try, but there were a few close calls. I had more trouble with him than any other boss so far simply because I couldn't even see where I was half the time with all of his juggles and bullshit.

Yeah, the camera is awful when area spells are used.

I've finished the main quests now but I've got into this awful routine now I'm working on the sub-quests: when I reach a point where I need to wait until a particular time for NPCs to unlock I decide to spend the time grinding, then end up deciding to make the local enemies extinct while using Chronostasis. It's so grindy and boring, yet making things species go extinct forever is kinda weirdly compelling. Ho hum.

Thinking about picking this up today. Not too impressed by the demo though so I was wondering if the demo gives an accurate portrayal of the full game?

I am also wondering, since the game seems to be about quests and the time limit being an issue, does one need a guide to avoid wasting too much time.

Jisgsaw

Do the garb abilities that say "cast a XXX spell that does physical damage" (Lightning, Wind slash and so on) take power from Strength or Mag stat?

Adaren

I am also wondering, since the game seems to be about quests and the time limit being an issue, does one need a guide to avoid wasting too much time.

Not at all! The time limit is pretty lenient if you use Chronostasis and talk to NPCs for hints.

Do the garb abilities that say "cast a XXX spell that does physical damage" (Lightning, Wind slash and so on) take power from Strength or Mag stat?

Strength, I think. You can tell from which icon is next to the power multiplier in the bottom right, I believe.

Bladenic

On Day 4 and started Wildands. First area in the game I really love. It's pretty great looking. Haven't been to the Dunes yet but deserts are so boring. Wish there would have been a snow area.

I really hate the time limit. I haven't had any issues with it, it's just annoying. I would be enjoying the game much more without.

Would it be stupid to annihilate the entire Cactaur race considering how much gil they drop? I have like over 500,000 gil right now after just an hour or so of farming.

Also, I'm on the final day with over 60 Canvas quests and over 50 sidequests so I should be good to go on the 14th day? Also curious as to what kind of gear I should be buying at this stage of the game before the last two dungeons.

Balphon

Would it be stupid to annihilate the entire Cactaur race considering how much gil they drop? I have like over 500,000 gil right now after just an hour or so of farming.

You can't really avoid it if you're killing them.

Also, I'm on the final day with over 60 Canvas quests and over 50 sidequests so I should be good to go on the 14th day? Also curious as to what kind of gear I should be buying at this stage of the game before the last two dungeons.

Should be. The maximum number of sidequests you can complete is something like 64, so you've done most of them.

I personally didn't buy any equipment at all aside from garbs and a couple Renegade shields.

Should be. The maximum number of sidequests you can complete is something like 64, so you've done most of them.

I personally didn't buy any equipment at all aside from garbs and a couple Renegade shields.

Yeah, I just saw some overpriced stuff in some of the shops but had no idea if they were worth dropping the money on.

btw my girlfriend is trying her damndest to pretend like she's not interested in the garb feature and failing miserably. She loves that kind of stuff and I keep taunting her with how you can change colors and how many accessories you can find. Finally the other day she was like "you have to change your costume to blue because your shield is blue" and I'm like haha fucking SCORE

JerkShep

It's the other way around, a garb with 75% defense against magic and physical would be kind of overpowered ahah. Both Cyber Suit and Quiet Guardian give you 15% resistance to phys/mag attacks. You equip the accessories

Ghostly Hood + Guard Glove for 100% physical resistance
Preta Hood + Runic Ring for 100% magical resistance

BUT in both cases your strenght and magic are basically dropped to 0, so you should use this combination only for guarding and debuffing (but it's not bad to keep the stagger up with the right weapons either)

I found that the second combination especially is a must in the latter parts of the game, magical attacks are usually harder to parry (especially the ones that cover the entire screen and you can't see shit) and some bosses, like Aeronite, use almost exclusively mag attacks.

Some pics!

69NwNbs.jpg
G74V3ls.jpg

at1t3xl.jpg
XmtJUou.jpg

SE22vA7.jpg
3gRIdhK.jpg

yJDibWG.jpg
0cwKgFU.jpg

And last but not least...

q7o3zov.jpg

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
So, all the main quests are done, and I have six days left to go!

How much would it negatively impact me if I just went to the inn and slept for six days? I've actually done a fairly large amount of sidequests, by this point.

Some pics!
G74V3ls.jpg
Photobomb

I read somewhere... maybe it was on the back cover of the game that everyone will have a different experience with the game. I kind of shrugged it off...

But seeing that some people like the above having SIX DAYS of extra time after completing the main quests... damn. I had like, two.

edit: I do admit that the last shot I posted, I only took because I saw it and thought "GAF has GOT to see this!"

HTupolev

This game's self-awareness is absolutely delightful. Everything constantly makes fun of everything.

The more I play, the more surprised I am that people find the storytelling cringe-worthy. Sketchy, sure, but not painful at all.

Photobomb
YES, BUT WHAT'S PHOTOBOMBING WHAT?!

I don't even know!

Zafir

So, all the main quests are done, and I have six days left to go!

How much would it negatively impact me if I just went to the inn and slept for six days? I've actually done a fairly large amount of sidequests, by this point.

Photobomb
You'd miss the final day probably?

I've just finished day 7 with 55 quests done, and it still hasn't come up saying I've got the 14th day. :|

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Woo, beat the Desert boss. Found an Aeroga lv.2 which helped a hell of a lot, but man that guy really fucking hurts if you let it get to day 7.

Zafir

Oh dear. Something tells me I shouldn't have left the Chocobo Eater at the farm till day 8 lol. He hurts, sooooo much.

How do you know you're ready for the final area? I've done a lot of 3 star side quests but haven't bothered with a lot of the really tedious quests that offer little payout.

Yuterald

Anyone not receive their stupid collector's edition yet? I got the confirmation email back when I preordered it in January, but I've yet to see a shipping confirmation or anything. I reserved Drakengard III at the same time. Wondering if they're holding it until that release too...ugh.

How do you know you're ready for the final area? I've done a lot of 3 star side quests but haven't bothered with a lot of the really tedious quests that offer little payout.

You don't. This is like the Dark Souls of Final Fantasy, with its rich Skyrim-sized environments, shitty sidequests that nobody gives a shit about, and Dark Souls-like confusion.

Ricker

One of my first disappointment of the year...ridiculous difficulty on a normal and the whole time thing...who the hell wants to waste 30 minutes scaring sheeps back in their pen when you have a countdown but you have to do all those sidequests otherwise you get mauled by just about everything in this game because its the only thing to up your stats...I am on day 9,last day it said,havent seen Fang,havent seen Sazh,cant beat any Boss besides the Luxerion one...the hell with this,its going back has a trade in for Thief or Castlevania Thuesday...

XJF

Boom! Platinum! 61 hours over 11 days. Wasn't too bad though. Easier than FFXIII was. All those damn weapons. Super fun game. Thoroughly enjoyed it!

Top Bottom