• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII |OT| Toriyama's Bizarre Adventure

So, all the main quests are done, and I have six days left to go!

How much would it negatively impact me if I just went to the inn and slept for six days? I've actually done a fairly large amount of sidequests, by this point.

Photobomb

how many have you done? i finished 32 side quests, 31 canvas of prayers, and i managed to beat the final boss, even obtaining
the ultima weapon from the last area (Couldn't beat the last boss without it)
i slept for 6 days straight just to get to the end. made a seperate save as i didnt get the 14th.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
how many have you done? i finished 32 side quests, 31 canvas of prayers, and i managed to beat the final boss, even obtaining
the ultima weapon from the last area (Couldn't beat the last boss without it)
i slept for 6 days straight just to get to the end. made a seperate save as i didnt get the 14th.
I've done ~40 sidequests. I'm on day 10 now, though. Based on your anecdote, it looks like Lightning is about to take a very long nap.

I've done ~40 sidequests. I'm on day 10 now, though. Based on your anecdote, it looks like Lightning is about to take a very long nap.

I'm halfway through day 11. 61 sidequests and 65 canvas quests finished. All main quests were done by day 6. XD

I guess I'm pretty much done for all intents and purposes. I suppose I'll just wander around and pick up a few pieces of equipment if I'm missing anything for the final boss fight. Does anyone know if the suggested schema for the final boss listed in the strategy guide is actually the best way to go, or is there something that works better?

make a seperate save just incase you decide you want to go back and finish more quests without starting from the beginning, especially if you want the 14th.

Balphon

XD

I gave it a try earlier tonight just to see how tough it was. Wow, it was a quick fight. It's supposedly the hardest fight in the game.

I had more trouble with Ereshkigal, personally. Mostly because his attacks were more difficult to block and the fight took longer.

Balphon

Which three schema did you use to fight Aeronite?

Helter Skelter, Sacred Knight, and Witching Hour, if I remember right. First one for damage/guard, second for stagger/guard, third for stagger, with debuffs mixed in among the three of them. Probably could've set it up more efficiently in retrospect (i.e. replacing Witching Hour with another defensive schema), but it all worked out.

Alright so I just finished the game and...

MAJOR ENDING SPOILERS
Is that seriously fucking Earth? Like did they seriously use the big bang and Earth as the ending? I mean I wasn't expecting much after everyone said how terrible the story and ending were but of all the things, the big bang and Earth? I'm more dumbfounded that's the best they could come up with. The sad thing is that they actually had a decent ending going up until that point. Nothing fantastic but it at least would have been a proper send off for the trilogy. I mean even still I guess it's okay but it definitely leaves a sour taste in the mouth considering how they wrapped everything up.

Overall though I enjoyed the game. It's not fantastic and I think it's my least favorite in the trilogy but still solid nonetheless. I feel like if they had tweaked the premise with the clock and had more time to work on it then it would have turned out a lot better than it was.

From someone who adored XIII-2 and really liked XIII though, Lightning Returns is just so-so. Gonna go through and wrap up the rest of the achievements for completionist's sake.

Jisgsaw

I can't understand the reviews that put the time management in negative points because it allegedly make th egame too hard.

I mean, I finished all main quest + 54 side quests by the beginning of the fifth day.
Since then, I'm really wondering what to do, and getting quite bored actually.

nOoblet16

Man some quests are borderline bullshit in time specifics. For example there's this person I need to meet in a cathedral between 10pm to 6am, fine yea? Nope. Because there's a gate to the cathedral that is closed during that time and only opens between 6am and 10pm...wow !

So I ran all the way across Luxerion got to this place with half an hour to go before 6AM, since my previous quest that led to this was time specific as well I was finished by around 5am. I run all the way up to the cathedral and I find out that I have to wait until the time is near 10pm to get in and then meet the saint once it's past 10. Such a pain in the arse.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Luxerion is definitely my least favorite area because of stuff like that. It's a pain in the ass to navigate the city, and each time a quest ends up having a part where I have to go to the Warren it ends up being aggravating to know I have to wait a long time before I can progress.

Well, according to the site that can't be named, LR may have sold about 330k first week (220/110 PS3/XBOX360) in the US alone. If this is indeed true, its a good start and funnily enough would outsell its JPN first week lol.

There's a reason that the site that can't be named can't be named. Doesn't matter how much you may want what they are saying to be true, no good comes from even entertaining their numbers, let alone bringing them to this board.

I've been playing this the past few days and I gotta say I am NOT loving this new method of "levelling up" by doing side quests and shit. Battles feel really pointless when there's so little to be gained from doing them.

Oh, and Clove (The dog in the Wildlands that got lost) is just about the ugliest looking dog I ever laid eyes on. Some really horrifying character models in this game.

Toth

There's a reason that the site that can't be named can't be named. Doesn't matter how much you may want what they are saying to be true, no good comes from even entertaining their numbers, let alone bringing them to this board.

It at least should provide some potential preview of Feb US sales though. It's all to be taken with a grain of salt thus far as I said in the post.

edit: I did edit my post to remove the numbers and info as per TOS guidelines.

Falk

that puzzling face
Man some quests are borderline bullshit in time specifics. For example there's this person I need to meet in a cathedral between 10pm to 6am, fine yea? Nope. Because there's a gate to the cathedral that is closed during that time and only opens between 6am and 10pm...wow !

So I ran all the way across Luxerion got to this place with half an hour to go before 6AM, since my previous quest that led to this was time specific as well I was finished by around 5am. I run all the way up to the cathedral and I find out that I have to wait until the time is near 10pm to get in and then meet the saint once it's past 10. Such a pain in the arse.

Did you miss the
sidequest that gives you a key to bypass the gate?

Christhor

I remember Square quoting that site in a fiscal report some years ago, does anyone know how that happened? It's so weird, considering how inaccurate it seems.

Really enjoyed the game so far. It's definitely not fantastic and the story is paper-thin, but I dig the combat system. I actually liked this combat system more than Bravely Default.

Bladenic

I gotta say, I love Snow's design in this game. Kinda wish he was playable. I prefer him to Lightning honestly (actually I prefer all the XIII/XIII-2 main characters to Lightning except Fang and child Hope).

Also does anyone by chance know what the name of the track that plays when (Yusnaan story quest spoiler)
you fall into the Warehouse district of Yusnaan after you fight the Cyclops? It was pretty amazing.

Bladenic

Yeah, I agree. Makes up for the mess he looked like in XIII-2, lol.

It makes me sad that he got this amazing redesign while everyone else looks exactly the same, barring a new neck thing (Hope), some gaudy headress (Vanille), and darker colors (Noel).

zeopower6

It makes me sad that he got this amazing redesign while everyone else looks exactly the same, barring a new neck thing (Hope), some gaudy headress (Vanille), and darker colors (Noel).

I kind of understand why he was the only one to get a new design though considering the other characters' roles... :/ I mean, Noel probably should have gotten one too but I guess he's lumped with Caius/Yeul, lol. Oh, Sazh too, I guess?

Zafir

To be honest, I didn't even notice Noel had darker colours, hah.

But yeah, I agree. I was joking about it to a friend when I first started playing, how a good majority of the characters have been wearing the same clothes for 1000 years, 2000 for Fang/Vanille.

HeelPower

He is still the worst character in the series...They couldn't go deeper than his outfit.

But yeah his redesign looks great.

They could have coloured sazh black instead of green...but nah...

Koozek

I gotta say, I love Snow's design in this game. Kinda wish he was playable. I prefer him to Lightning honestly (actually I prefer all the XIII/XIII-2 main characters to Lightning except Fang and child Hope).

Also does anyone by chance know what the name of the track that plays when (Yusnaan story quest spoiler)
you fall into the Warehouse district of Yusnaan after you fight the Cyclops? It was pretty amazing.

This one?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1J7p_iG2QQ

Or the one playing in the Warehouse right after that scene?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9k1bQE5cUQ

Edit: First :p

zeopower6

After doing the main story in Luxerion, Hope tells you to go talk to someone outside the Cathedral, complete her quest and she gives a key. You can then just open the door to the left of the gate to get in.

I believe that might be the one that he was having an issue with since the person outside only appears during a specific timeframe. :(

Zafir

I believe that might be the one that he was having an issue with since the person outside only appears during a specific timeframe. :(
Does she? Hmm. I can't remember. I did it straight after I defeated
Noel
since I had some time to kill. xD

Cheska

Do the reavers only appear during a certain time in the Wildlands? I'm burning through EP too quickly and haven't been able to recover it as well without fighting them.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
YAY! I managed to
caius
at normal ^_^

now what u suggest to do? is it possible to do everything in the next 5 days before the end?

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Is there some threshold of beginning to extinct monsters?
I noticed that I had 30 of a certain monster drop that I'm sure has been used in a quest before... unless the one mandatory fight doesn't count towards extinction.

Jisgsaw

I've been playing this the past few days and I gotta say I am NOT loving this new method of "levelling up" by doing side quests and shit. Battles feel really pointless when there's so little to be gained from doing them.

The drops from the Last Ones (at least from the large scale monsters) are really worthwhile. The EP gained also. And the skills, if you take the time to forge them.

Balphon

I noticed that I had 30 of a certain monster drop that I'm sure has been used in a quest before... unless the one mandatory fight doesn't count towards extinction.

Yes. Generally it's 100 or 120 for small monsters, 60 or 80 for medium ones, and 30 for large ones.

Zafir

You have to kill a certain amount of the enemy type, and then a pink "Last One" will spawn. After killing that, they'll be extinct. Bigger mobs have smaller requirements. Like the Behemoth(Reaver, but it's totally a behemoth) is 30. The niblets which are required for the Yusnaan quest is 120. Off the top of my mind.

Heh, I didn't realise that. It would seem if you wait to fight
Snow
and
Noel
, their attire does actually change.

Snow's Cieth
transformation is a bit more progressed, and
Noel's
clothes are different.
I don't know how true it is, but apparently if you have a XIII-2 save, after day 7 he'll wear whatever he was wearing in your most recent save.

Top Bottom