• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII |OT| Toriyama's Bizarre Adventure

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I love some of these ultimate weapon things... except the purple... and the fact that my dedicated magic schema is using a huge ass sword.

romulus91

Man easy is just way too easy......... :( really want to change it ughhhhh

Some thoughts of mine

+ Love the timer overall. It places a momentum on the game that makes it difficult to put down
+ the costume system and micro management
+ The art design and 'feel' of the world ( as i have with the whole xiii series)
+ some of the side quest stories

- dont care much for quests that can only be completed at certain times or halt until xx am/pm ( the flow is lost for me)
- easy is too easy :p
- story is ok atm but i keep asking WHY im doing these menial things prior to the worlds demise

I AM LOVING IT SO FAR - solid game

I gotta finish this either tonight or tomorrow. I'm at that point when you get so tired of a game and need it to end. It's not a bad game at all, I just need the story to conclude. I think I finished all the quests way too early so I was wandering around aimlessly for days.

Anyone have any tips for Aeronite? I'm using the strategy described here under the section "Preparations for Aeronite". I can't even stagger him a single time. No matter what I do, I can only get off like 3 -ra spells before my combo finishes and then I have like a 2 second wait time before I can do anything else, during which his stagger gauge completely resets. I've made like 20 attempts so far, and have made no progress whatsoever :(

nOoblet16

Slowly starting to love this game more and more, only complaint I have now is regarding how you level up and acquire skills in this game, all though it does prevents grinding. The Wildlands look pretty as hell even with the low production values, imagine how much more consistent looking this game would have been if it had the budget of FFXIII (or even half of it).

And I don't think time will be an issue considering you have 13 days overall to finish main quests that should take up like 7-8 days (if I am predicting it right), which would leave you with lots of time for side quests.

Terra_Ex

- story is ok atm but i keep asking WHY im doing these menial things prior to the worlds demise

I think it just adds to the overall ridiculousness of the game, one minute Lightning's rolling off her usual spiel about saving the world and her mission being of the utmost importance, worlds ending in 13 days and all that. 2 minutes later she's running around the town tasting food at all the restaurants in town... just because.

The models for cats and dogs really took a beating in this game man, damn. I encountered a
mission regarding someone trapped in a cats body
and the cat looked nearly as bad as the dog several pages back. I really feel sorry for the animals in this game. On a more positive note, I have been enjoying hearing all the battle themes again as you travel around the world, that mixed with the battles have kept the game as a pretty solid experience.

Despite my earlier concerns that I was going to run out of time to do everything, I'm now on day 7 (I think) and it shouldn't take me too long to polish off the remaining main quests.
I've finished Noel, Snow and Fang's main quests so far. Attempted to beat Caius earlier and got a serious smackdown so he's waiting till after I finish Sazh's quest. I'm trying to avoid using guides but are there some special requirements for the 14th day beyond completing all the main quests, I'm thinking I'll just rest at the inn once I finish the remaining quests. I'm assuming Vanille's main quest auto-triggers during the last day?

Zafir

I think it just adds to the overall ridiculousness of the game, one minute Lightning's rolling off her usual spiel about saving the world and her mission being of the utmost importance, worlds ending in 13 days and all that. 2 minutes later she's running around the town tasting food at all the restaurants in town... just because.

The models for cats and dogs really took a beating in this game man, damn. I encountered a
mission regarding someone trapped in a cats body
and the cat looked nearly as bad as the dog several pages back. I really feel sorry for the animals in this game. On a more positive note, I have been enjoying hearing all the battle themes again as you travel around the world, that mixed with the battles have kept the game as a pretty solid experience.

Despite my earlier concerns that I was going to run out of time to do everything, I'm now on day 7 (I think) and it shouldn't take me too long to polish off the remaining main quests.
I've finished Noel, Snow and Fang's main quests so far. Attempted to beat Caius earlier and got a serious smackdown so he's waiting till after I finish Sazh's quest. I'm trying to avoid using guides but are there some special requirements for the 14th day beyond completing all the main quests, I'm thinking I'll just rest at the inn once I finish the remaining quests. I'm assuming Vanille's main quest auto-triggers during the last day?
I'll take the side quests in this over the side quests you get in some games personally. At least these have a story, as crazy and medial as they sometimes are. That's better than having a load of side quests with no cutscenes or talking, just fetch x or kill y(like the canvas quests).

As for the 14th day, you need to do 50+ side quests.

Balphon

Actually, this game is one of the few times this conceit actually has a cogent in-universe explanation, as the end of the world is inevitable and Lightning's main goal is to preserve souls by solving people's lingering issues.

Anyone have any tips for Aeronite? I'm using the strategy described here under the section "Preparations for Aeronite". I can't even stagger him a single time. No matter what I do, I can only get off like 3 -ra spells before my combo finishes and then I have like a 2 second wait time before I can do anything else, during which his stagger gauge completely resets. I've made like 20 attempts so far, and have made no progress whatsoever :(

I'm not sure how you can save so little AP that you can only get off one -ra combo per bar. And, in any event, you should have stagger stuff on two or maybe all three schema.

Terra_Ex

Actually, this game is one of the few times this conceit actually has a cogent in-universe explanation, as the end of the world is inevitable and Lightning's main goal is to preserve souls by solving people's lingering issues.
Granted, (and I'm not saying its a negative) yet Lightning herself often raises an eyebrow in disbelief as if to say "you want to me to do what now?" I think those moments often contrast nicely with the primary plotline's seriousness.

And thanks for the answer, Zafir.

Cheska

So overall I'm enjoying the game a lot. I'm glad I listened to some suggestions and went for the Wildlands before completing the main Yusnaan quests, as I'm now pretty overpowered lol. HOWEVER, my main gripe is that without the strategy guide the side quests are extremely difficult to complete. There is rarely any sense of direction, and I wish they had included an option for automatic quest markers to show up on your map.

I'm not sure how you can save so little AP that you can only get off one -ra combo per bar. And, in any event, you should have stagger stuff on two or maybe all three schema.

I do have stagger stuff on all 3 schema. I have Aerora on schema 1, Thundara on Schema 2, and Fira on Schema 3. Schema 3 is also equipped with the 75% stagger weapon.

So given this setup, in what order should I use my abilities on each bar in order to stagger him the quickest? I think I just fail at Staggering in general, becuase I've never been able to do it effectively the entire game. Like I'm missing some kind of trick or something. I fire off like 3-4 abilities, and then no matter how much AP i have left, I can't hit another spell because the combo is over, I have to wait for it to reset and by then his stagger bar is also reset.

Balphon

Granted, (and I'm not saying its a negative) yet Lightning herself often raises an eyebrow in disbelief as if to say "you want to me to do what now?" I think those moments often contrast nicely with the primary plotline's seriousness.

And thanks for the answer, Zafir.

Yeah, Lightning's general put-upon-ness doesn't help, but at least it makes a kind of sense.

I do have stagger stuff on all 3 schema. I have Aerora on schema 1, Thundara on Schema 2, and Fira on Schema 3. Schema 3 is also equipped with the 75% stagger weapon.

So given this setup, in what order should I use my abilities on each bar in order to stagger him the quickest? I think I just fail at Staggering in general, becuase I've never been able to do it effectively the entire game. Like I'm missing some kind of trick or something. I fire off like 3-4 abilities, and then no matter how much AP i have left, I can't hit another spell because the combo is over, I have to wait for it to reset and by then his stagger bar is also reset.

I'm not sure what you mean by your combo being over; you should be using those three abilities essentially constantly unless you have to stop to guard. If you completely run out of AP on all three and his stagger bar is degrading, use Overclock; it will refill the bars on all three schema.

Yeah, Lightning's general put-upon-ness doesn't help, but at least it makes a kind of sense.

I'm not sure what you mean by your combo being over; you should be using those three abilities essentially constantly unless you have to stop to guard. If you completely run out of AP on all three and his stagger bar is degrading, use Overclock; it will refill the bars on all three schema.

Shoot off 3 -ra spells. On the 4th, she'll jump up in the air and do a flip while shooting it off. After that, there is a delay before you can take any other actions (no matter how much AP you have), during which time the stagger bar resets.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Shoot off 3 -ra spells. On the 4th, she'll jump up in the air and do a flip while shooting it off. After that, there is a delay before you can take any other actions (no matter how much AP you have), during which time the stagger bar resets.
You can guard to stabilize yourself after the flip if you have the AP.

Final dungeon - any particularly good schema setups for this part of the game? I find myself needing to switch things up even though I've played most of the game with similar schema equipped. Now I need to equip some of the stronger stuff, it seems. Suggestions?

Carbonox

elixir

why

are

you

so

painstakingly

annoying

to

acquire

I need to go off and fight Aeronite ffs.

Final dungeon - any particularly good schema setups for this part of the game? I find myself needing to switch things up even though I've played most of the game with similar schema equipped. Now I need to equip some of the stronger stuff, it seems. Suggestions?

Since the moment I've started I've been using a Saboteur/Sentinel, Magic Ravager and Commando type setup. Has yet to fail me as it really covers all the bases. Garbs in particular are Sacred Knight, Electronica and Soldier of Peace. Sacred Knight is my default garb and uses Heavy Guard, DeProtect and DeShell. From there it's just a case of building up stagger with the Electronica garb (as well as dealing insane damage) and finishing off with the Soldier of Peace garb due to its ridiculous Artemis's Arrows ability.

HTupolev

That's probably the reason it bothers some people, though. Sometimes if you blow things off and say it's happening just *because*, nobody questions it. If you start trying to explain things, but your explanation sucks, it could just call attention to the poor justification.

Zafir

elixir

why

are

you

so

painstakingly

annoying

to

acquire

I need to go off and fight Aeronite ffs.
Yeah, I've just spend ages trying to get one lol. Pain in the arse.

If only I had the 360k gil when I came across one of the underworld people selling it.

Since the moment I've started I've been using a Saboteur/Sentinel, Magic Ravager and Commando type setup. Has yet to fail me as it really covers all the bases. Garbs in particular are Sacred Knight, Electronica and Soldier of Peace. Sacred Knight is my default garb and uses Heavy Guard, DeProtect and DeShell. From there it's just a case of building up stagger with the Electronica garb (as well as dealing insane damage) and finishing off with the Soldier of Peace garb due to its ridiculous Artemis's Arrows ability.

Sounds good, thanks. I've been sticking with Electronica and SOLDIER 1st Class for most of the game, switching out Passion Rouge and Hidden Justice every now and again. But the enemies in the final dungeon are tougher and it feels like I'm not doing as much damage with the old setup as I'd like.

Balphon

You can cancel the combo before the end by switching or guarding if that helps, but the stagger gauge shouldn't be decaying that fast.

That's probably the reason it bothers some people, though. Sometimes if you blow things off and say it's happening just *because*, nobody questions it. If you start trying to explain things, but your explanation sucks, it could just call attention to the poor justification.

Fair enough, but it's as ubiquitous a trope as people still charging you for weapons.

You can cancel the combo before the end by switching or guarding if that helps, but the stagger gauge shouldn't be decaying that fast.

Well i also cant damage him while guarding, so that accounts for the rest of the stagger bar decay since he spams ga spells rather quickly. Does stagger power increase with damage? If i wait for a second playthrough would that help after i have better gear?

Balphon

Well i also cant damage him while guarding, so that accounts for the rest of the stagger bar decay since he spams ga spells rather quickly. Does stagger power increase with damage? If i wait for a second playthrough would that help after i have better gear?

I doesn't seem to, and better gear really won't help you stagger him that much faster. In any event, there's enough time between his attacks for you to hit him; stagger really doesn't decay that fast.

Ricker

Ok so I managed to get another day,now on day 10 last day...I think the whole Chocobo thing and meeting that guy in Wildlands and all gave me enough Eridia to bareley make it...

You guys think if I beat the Boss of Yusnaan along with a few random sidequests that it will be enough to get me another day...?

Bladenic

I was going to extinct the meonekton; good thing I looked in my guide.

Why? I'm guessing they don't go extinct because they are automatons, correct?

Anyway, on Day 5 and went to Dead Dunes. I'm loving it. It's surprisingly beautiful. I honestly find Dunes and Wildlands to be aesthetically very pleasing (barring the obvious weaknesses the whole game suffers from), while I really don't care for the cities excepting a few areas (Cathedral in Luxerion looks pretty great IMO).

Adaren

Ok so I managed to get another day,now on day 10 last day...I think the whole Chocobo thing and meeting that guy in Wildlands and all gave me enough Eridia to bareley make it...

You guys think if I beat the Boss of Yusnaan along with a few random sidequests that it will be enough to get me another day...?

Rumor has it that completing the main quests + the few mandatory side quests is enough to unlock all of the extra days. If you want to maximize eradia, I'd definitely try to kill a boss if you can.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
On day 9 and I beat the Wildlands boss on my first shot, all of them are done now.

Definitely feels weird now only having sidequests. This is a very oddball game in just about every way.

Just finished my first straight-through Normal playthrough. I knew in general what was coming, but it was a very satisfying ending to see play out in full for myself.

I figured I'd go into the final battle with the setup that had done well for me throughout the final area and it worked. Finished it on first try, though not knowing what was coming it wasn't a great score and wasted some items I didn't really need to. Plus, of course the
Ultimate weapon/shield
was of no small help.

Obviously really enjoyed playing this game and look forward to starting up New Game +.

Well, I finally beat Bravely Default (game says 95~ hours playtime)... time for Lightning Returns! I'm still a little nervous about the time limit even though people generally say it's fine. I'm gonna be doing Normal, and if I somehow run out of time, I can't see myself starting over anytime soon... so I hope I make it through to the end or I probably won't beat it for months. I don't want to be forced to replay the game due to some stupid time limit.

Any tips besides spam Chronostasis? What's the best order to do areas that goes from easiest to hardest? Is the Cloud or Yuna garbs any good? Or XIII/XIII-2 outfits?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Well, the final boss' fourth form is damn near impossible to stagger.

Cheska

Does anyone have any tips for gliding with the chocobo?
I've healed it to stage 2, and I follow the instructions to jump with circle and then hold circle to glide but I'm finding it impossible to do it effectively :(

I've healed it to stage 2, and I follow the instructions to jump with circle and then hold circle to glide but I'm finding it impossible to do it effectively :(

I just hold O down after the jump without releasing it. You'll drop a little bit when the glide begins, but gain a bit of height after that... then the slow descent.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

You can't let go of the button at all or it won't work.

Well, I finally beat Bravely Default (game says 95~ hours playtime)... time for Lightning Returns! I'm still a little nervous about the time limit even though people generally say it's fine. I'm gonna be doing Normal, and if I somehow run out of time, I can't see myself starting over anytime soon... so I hope I make it through to the end or I probably won't beat it for months. I don't want to be forced to replay the game due to some stupid time limit.

Any tips besides spam Chronostasis? What's the best order to do areas that goes from easiest to hardest? Is the Cloud or Yuna garbs any good? Or XIII/XIII-2 outfits?

As long as you use Chronostasis consistently and are always using your time wisely you'll have no problems. I had all main quests and about 55 side quests done by day 8 or so. All on Normal difficulty.

I'll be honest though, once I started playing the game and felt overwhelmed by the time limit I went and looked up a list of side quests so I could see what times they were available and when I could access them. It really helped me plan accordingly so I could fill out my days and not waste any time running around aimlessly looking for them.

As far as main quests go, even though you can do them in any order they''re technically numbered 1 through 5.

1. Luxerion
2. Yusnaan
3. Wildlands
4. Dead Dunes
5. Wildlands

The fifth one you can pick up while you're doing the other Wildlands main quest and do it at your own leisure as there aren't any real strict requirements. The other four though I would recommend doing them in that order. It seems to be the natural progression.

As far as DLC outfits, I used both Cloud and Yuna at the beginning. I actually used Cloud for about the first 4-5 days because it's garb ability is really strong. Yuna can last you a few days as well but you'll typically find better garbs. Yuna's equipment is really strong for magic garbs though. I used the shield for my entire playthrough actually.

But yeah, as long as you aren't spending too much time wandering around doing nothing then you should be good. The first 2-3 days will feel really stressful just because there's so much to do but it lets up quite a bit. Also once you get to the Wildlands there are a lot more enemies that you can effectively farm for EP to keep your Chronostasis going. It makes things a lot easier.

love this garb
BhNR434CcAAjk6Q.jpg

finally meet the dragon
BhNwmlwCcAA5EG3.jpg

As long as you use Chronostasis consistently and are always using your time wisely you'll have no problems. I had all main quests and about 55 side quests done by day 8 or so. All on Normal difficulty.

I'll be honest though, once I started playing the game and felt overwhelmed by the time limit I went and looked up a list of side quests so I could see what times they were available and when I could access them. It really helped me plan accordingly so I could fill out my days and not waste any time running around aimlessly looking for them.

As far as main quests go, even though you can do them in any order they''re technically numbered 1 through 5.

1. Luxerion
2. Yusnaan
3. Wildlands
4. Dead Dunes
5. Wildlands

The fifth one you can pick up while you're doing the other Wildlands main quest and do it at your own leisure as there aren't any real strict requirements. The other four though I would recommend doing them in that order. It seems to be the natural progression.

As far as DLC outfits, I used both Cloud and Yuna at the beginning. I actually used Cloud for about the first 4-5 days because it's garb ability is really strong. Yuna can last you a few days as well but you'll typically find better garbs. Yuna's equipment is really strong for magic garbs though. I used the shield for my entire playthrough actually.

But yeah, as long as you aren't spending too much time wandering around doing nothing then you should be good. The first 2-3 days will feel really stressful just because there's so much to do but it lets up quite a bit. Also once you get to the Wildlands there are a lot more enemies that you can effectively farm for EP to keep your Chronostasis going. It makes things a lot easier.

Thanks for the tips! I'll keep all that in mind when I start (maybe tomorrow). :) I will probably use a guide for most of the sidequests because I've heard the directions/descriptions can be incredibly vague, and since this has a time limit, I don't wanna waste a lot of time wandering around trying to find some random collectible or NPC.

The main thing I dread are the npcs and gates/villages that are only open at certain times of the day. That just seems like such an annoyance.

HTupolev

The main thing I dread are the npcs and gates/villages that are only open at certain times of the day. That just seems like such an annoyance.
If this game had the potential to attract a speedrunning community, the restrictive timing would have serious potential to be extraordinarily interesting.

But yeah, it can be a bit awkward. Makes for interesting planning sometimes.

Top Bottom